Round 8: Adalam -vs- Franchize1990

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
Does the Undertaker need to retire at a Wrestlemania?

This is a eighth round match in the Debater's League. Adalam is the home debater and gets to choose which side of the debate they will be on and who debates first, but they have 24 hours to make their choice.

This thread is for DEBATERS ONLY and will end on Friday at 2pm EST.

Anyone that posts in this thread besides the debaters, league admins, and judges will be infracted!

Good luck.​

Looking forward to a great debate Adalam.

With that being said let's get onto the debate:

Why Undertaker's Retirement Party Does NOT Need to Happen at WrestleMania.

For nearly 20 years, The Undertaker has had a very lengthy and successful career in the WWE. 7 time Tag Team Champion, a Royal Rumble winner, a 7 time World Champion, and holds an 18 match winning streak at WrestleMania, quite possibly his claim to fame. When Taker finally decides to call it quits and hang up the boots, WrestleMania does not need to be his final resting place.

Tradition

As most wrestling fans know, when wrestlers retire, they symbolically pass the torch to the next guy by losing their final match (sans guest appearances). Pretty much all of the greatest have done it such as Stone Cold Steve Austin (loss to The Rock @ WMXIX), The Rock (loss to Goldberg @ Backlash), Hulk Hogan (who was scheduled to lose his final match in the WWE to Shawn Michaels but egos got in the way), and most recently Shawn Michales (loss to the Undertaker at last year's WrestleMania). Now as mentioned earlier, the Undertaker has had a fantastic career but, for him to retire and pass the torch at WrestleMania, the WWE would be taking away his greatest claim to fame. Taker's undefeated streak at WrestleMania is one that will never be duplicated any time soon and for him to lose that could possibly hurt his career as storied as it is.

Other Places for Taker to Retire

As the title suggests, there's a few other places where the Undertaker can retire. The one that comes to my mind with the current storyline between him and Kane is have him retire at Suvivor Series, the same pay per view he his first appearance. You could also start a program with Superstar A wanting to take out the Undertaker before he gets to WrestleMania and have him actually succed either at TLC, the Royal Rumble, or Elimination Chamber. Where ever the location, Undertaker doesn't need to go out at WrestleMania.

Alright, as to why it should be where he retires, listen up:

Taker has done a lot at Wrestlemania, first and foremost being the Streak. I'm not saying that the streak should end in any way at Mania. It is way too legendary to destroy. I think that Taker should go out on top, instead of losing his final match, like so many wrestlers go through. Taker retiring at the event he made famous would be fitting, as he would forever be known as the real Mr. Wrestlemania. Taker's had some incredible matches there, and there would be no tarnishing that if he had one last blockbuster at Mania, without a title, and against a guy who has yet to put Taker over at Mania, like Cena or Jericho. Winning isn't illegal for a guy's last match. Bookers just prefer it, so many would want Taker to put over someone in order to retire. Taker is just too legendary to roll over, so when he retires, the Streak will stay alive. I just feel that cementing the streak at Mania, then retiring afterwards, would be golden.

Alright, as to why it should be where he retires, listen up:

Taker has done a lot at Wrestlemania, first and foremost being the Streak. I'm not saying that the streak should end in any way at Mania. It is way too legendary to destroy. I think that Taker should go out on top, instead of losing his final match, like so many wrestlers go through.

It's better to lose and give that superstar the credibility rather than to just go out on top. I'm going to use Sheamus as an example. Building up to TLC, a good amount of people felt that he hadn't done anything to really standout to earn a title shot against John Cena except slap Goldust around on ECW. He wins the tables match and is the new WWE champion but, he's not a believable champion and people still feel like he doesn't belong in the main event. Fast forward to Extreme Rules, after he had just taken out Triple H for a good period of time, and people are now saying that Sheamus is now starting to become a decent main eventer. That's why if the Undertaker is going to retire at Wrestlemania, he has to have the streak broken so that a new star is either born or re-established. Does that mean he needs to retire at Wrestlemania? Not at all. If he was going to go out on top at WrestleMania, he would have to beat someone who would also be retiring after that match (similar to what Lita and Trish did at Unforgiven) otherwise, nobody gets a rub from the Undertaker and the WWE pretty much doesn't profit from that match.

Taker retiring at the event he made famous would be fitting, as he would forever be known as the real Mr. Wrestlemania.

Taker didn't make WrestleMania famous, I'd say it was the other way around.

Taker's had some incredible matches there, and there would be no tarnishing that if he had one last blockbuster at Mania, without a title, and against a guy who has yet to put Taker over at Mania, like Cena or Jericho.

It definitely wouldn't tarnish Taker's career if he had one more good match at WrestleMania, I'm looking forward to a Cena/Undertaker match-up myself. it's after Mania where he needs to retire. I don't want to see the streak broken but if his final match ends up being at WrestleMania, it has to happen. That's why I feel he doesn't need to retire at Wrestlemania rather he should do it at a different pay-per-view.

Winning isn't illegal for a guy's last match. Bookers just prefer it, so many would want Taker to put over someone in order to retire.

Bookers prefer it because they still need to plan ahead and still need to build stars for the future. When you go out on your back, the loser of the match puts the finishing touches on his or her career and now the booker has a worker that can use the giant win to further develop his character. It's usually a win-win situation when that happens.

Taker is just too legendary to roll over,

Taker is not as legendary as The Rock and Stone Cold and they both went out on their backs to end their career.

so when he retires, the Streak will stay alive. I just feel that cementing the streak at Mania, then retiring afterwards, would be golden.

It would be just as golden to have him win at Mania and then retire at the next pay per view or one of the big 4 pay per views as he still keeps his streak and somebody could benefit off of beating the Undertaker to the point where he can no longer wrestle

Adalam presented little to no evidence for his position (I know everything essentially boils down to opinion, but it's necessary in this league to show how you reached yours. I like his attitude and enthusiasm, but he has a long way to go before being competitive here.

Final Score
Franchize1990 - 5
Adalam - 0

Clarity of debate: Franchize1990
While Adalam showed some good character, Franchize had him covered.

Punctuality: Draw
Both guys took their time with debating.

Informative: Franchize1990
No evidence from Adalam hurts him here.

Persuasion: Franchize1990
Much like most of the other debates, one post isn't going to cut it. Franchize had some great points raised and good responses, a shame it was a lacking debate but he gets the points here.

Final Score
Adalam: 0.5
Franchize1990: 4.5

Clarity: Franchize's post wasnt just one big paragraph, I've got no problem with big paragraphs, its just they are harder to read than a post which is split up into paragraphs representing different points, this being a clarity point is why Franchize gets it.

Point - Franchize1990

Punctuality: Franchize looks like he was late, but Adalam did worse and never came back

Point - Franchize1990

Informative: Same as the others

Point - Franchize1990

Persuasion: A decent opening post and a reply both work in Franchize's favour

Point - Franchize1990

My Scores;

Adalam - 0
Franchize1990 - 5

This was a one-sided debate. The only point I'll give Adalam is 0.5 because both he and Francize were late on a post.

Final Score
Francize1990 - 4.5
Adalam - 0.5

After a complete judge's tally, Francize1990 is the victor with 19 points to Adalam's 1.

Congratulations and great debating from the both of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back