Round 1; 25 World of warcraft v 104 Final fantasy VI

?

• WOW

• FFVI

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
images

v

images

NB FF VI was originally released as FFIII, subsequent re releases changed it back to VI.​

Gonna go with FFVI here. The game doesn't do everything right compared to the rest of the franchise, but i do feel somethings it does. For one its the characters. Basically you're a rebel group trying to go against the big evil empire who is taking over areas of the land. So basically you seek to overthrow them. Now at first the characters to me at least seemed a little too all over the place. And a lot made my question wtf are they doing here, but as you progress you see some of the finest character development. Sometimes by just playing the game directly, or sometimes by doing special things on the side. Either way as you find out more about their tragic pasts you realize why they want to stop the empire. And why such different people unite for a common goal. Another thing i feel FF6 does right is its main villain in the game Kefka. Unique is a understatement when it comes to Kefka. The man is insane, ruthless, and runs around in a clown costume. While being down right fucked up, and killing thousands. He also is quite humorous. Kefka will bring you to love him, and hate him at the same time. Kefka would definitely be a top 3 villain of all time on my list.

Gotta go with VI here. Classic game, that I love to play even to this day(but I love to play every FF to this day.) I myself am not a big fan of WOW. It just isn't fun after a while. I used to play, got to the max level which I thought was awesome until a few days later where I was bored out of my freakin mind. VI I could play all day and not be bored, even when I beat it I could stand to go back and beat it again unlike leveling another wow char. VI takes it for me.

Had to go with FFVI here. As I've said before, I'm not a big fan of MMORPG's, and the WOW fad has completely eluded me. Maybe I shouldn't put it down considering I've never played it before, but if its anything like Everquest than I'm guessing I'll hate it.

Final Fantasy VI...well it's a Final Fantasy game, what more reason do you need to vote for it?

World Of Warcraft seemed to be quite popular of a game. Here is my story.

My friend and I decided that we would get it to try it out. Bought the 3 month gamepack, and the game itself, spent our money and went home. I plugged it into the computer installed it, played around, went for a walk in it, had another friend come and kill me for fun, and all that. All fun and games. But within a few days, the game itself became incredibly boring. Now it has been over 3 years since that day, and I havent played it since. What a shit game.

FF3 however, is a reason to get the SNES. I enjoy the FF series, as many people here probably do. Now if you enjoy everything about the games since this moment, credit FF3 here now. It created an incredible storyline with very unique and developed characters.

Edit: Corrected, I meant three

FF6 is a hugely successful RPG in its own right, with about 3.5 million copies shipped. It's got fantastic character, a great story, and good multiple choice scenarios. EGM gave it Game of the Month over Mortal Kombat II and Earthworm Jim, and later won a bunch of RPG related awards. Nintendo Power (admittedly has a bias) called it the RPG of the decade, and was cited as a milestone in the FF series (not as much as FF7 would be, but no one knew what was coming at the time). Nintendo Power also later called it the 8th best Nintendo game of all time, and even suggested it might have been the best FF ever (though potentially this was bitterness over FF7 being on the PS). It was later named the 3rd best SNES game ever, only behind Link to the Past and Super Metroid. IGN later called it the 56th best game of all time, which might not seem high, but when you consider the sheer number of games put out there in history, that's big. It's accolades go on and on in this manner. It's pretty unanimous it's a hugely popular RPG, and personally, I find it an amazing RPG, honestly, I enjoyed it more than FF7. One of the best RPGs of all time, flat out, and highly influential in later classics like Wild Arms of Suikoden.

Now, World of Warcraft. I bitterly admit it is one of the most, if not the single most, popular games ever. I won't bother with all the accolades - it's got countless Editor's Choices, games of the month, top selling lists, so on, so forth. Anyone acquainted with video games knows this stuff. There's 10 million players worldwide, which is incredible, I must admit. If you want to call this in terms of selling more copies, or universal popularity, it's WoW. However, I choose quality gaming, and FF6 has it. It's got a better story, hands down - WoW's story is basically "travel here, kill 12 of these ,bring me x item, here, have some items" or "go into this dungeon, kill this fellow, have some items", whereas FF6 has a rich, involved story. The gameplay is better in FF6, in my opinion. I hate MMO gameplay, the concept of forced multiplayer (and the fact that the vast majority of people I am forced to interact with are morons, assholes, or usually both).

So basically, if you want a popular game, choose yourself WoW. If you want a good game, choose my vote, FF6.

This is a tough one for me, but I'm going World of Warcraft. Why? Because it's the first and only MMORPG to actually keep my interest to keep coming back and put myself through the punishment of questing. FF6 I enjoyed the hell out of, but it was one of those Final Fantasy I really didn't get a feel for. WoW on the other hand gives me the depth and ability to customize and create countless characters, and try out different ways to attack a problem.

Sorcerer? Freeze your enemies then blast them away with fire. Warrior? Straight up fuck their shit up with two swords. Hunter? Get your pet to attack the enemies while you snipe them from a distance with a bow and arrow. Needless to say I rather enjoy the battle system WoW has brought, regardless if it's your standard MMO fare.

World of Warcraft.

Why? I couldn't justify spending 12 dollars or whatever I do a month to play that game if I didn't. That, and I find it incredibly fun. I'm a gnome warlock, and I shoot bolts of shadow at people's faces. It's fucking fun.

Final Fantasy VI, however, I find to be a weak point in the Final Fantasy series. I never really liked it. It just seemed weird to me.

How in the FUCK is WoW losing? It's, in my mind, one of the greatest games of all time. It's just so vast and expansive with so much to do. You can never beat it or do all there is to do. There are people to talk to, new material constantly being put in... I don't even have the words to express my love for this game. Unless you've played it, and I mean more than just to level 15, you can't justify your vote for Final Fantasy. WoW deserves to go much further, and this is a travesty that is occuring.

WOW is a great game. It's a game that you can never beat and play every day for a year and not get bored. It's also one of the most popular games of all time. Almost everyone played it at least once. For some people it's even more important than bathing or sleeping. That's the sign of a great game.

FFVI, without a doubt.

After the success of FFI and FFII, I remember how much anticipation there was for a third installment to come out, and it didn't disappoint. It took leaps and bounds from its predecessor by introducing a brand new battle strategy, new storyline, and IMO one of the greatest villains in the history of RPG gaming... Kefka.

FFI was an interesting, addictive, yet tedious and slow RPG with an extensive storyline and a battle system that was a total mimic of Dragon Warrior. At the time, it was completely overshadowed by DW and almost lost in the shuffle. So, designers of Final Fantasy's sequel wanted to make sure that they would correct their previous mistakes and design a game with quicker load times, a better story, better graphics, more exciting gameplay, and a battle system that would have n edge over its competition, Dragon Warrior.

Once FFII was released, it did everything it was set out to do. The game was a complete 180 from it's predecessor, and it far surpassed Dragon Warrior AND it's sequel. Once the idea for the third installment was proposed, the FF crew knew they had to keep the momentum going and continue to revolutionize RPG gaming. So, they created FFIII/FFVI, and the rest is history.

I believe this game was the beginning of the takeover of RPG's in the video gaming market. It was the second FF game to use the idea of "summon" spells, or "Espers." They were an exciting addition to the game, since they were superior spells that were difficult to retrieve, expensive to execute (in terms of MP), and graphically more advanced than any other spell ever created in an RPG game of the past. More or less, it introduced cameo characters into the game that possessed what every RPG nerd loved to see... POWERFUL magic. And when the Summon spells/Espers were utilized, the player FELT the power and presence of that particular spell. In addition, the great thing was that FFIII/FFVI challenged you to learn normal spells through the Espers instead of advancing in levels. This allowed a lot more fun in the tedious process of learning higher-level spells as a result of level-advancement.

Furthermore, this was the first RPG game that allowed more than just three or four characters to be swapped and utilized throughout the game, as well as being able to use up to 12 characters simultaneously. And all of this was done on a Super Nintendo System!!

It's graphics system, gameplay, storyline, and longevity was eons ahead of its time, considering that it was run on the SNes. Although the SNes was superior to the NES, it still amazed me how the programmers were able to fit all of this unbelievable information onto one game cartridge.

World of Warcraft is an amazing game, but it wasn't revolutionary. FFVI was a TREMENDOUS jump in everything that had to do with RPG gaming at the time that it was released. I believe it is a legend of gaming, and I feel that it definitely deserves your votes not only in this round, but for the remainder of the tournament.

How is it a travesty WOW is losing? Because of all the shit load of quests you can do? Really there are 3 main things people do at maxed level. All of the quests they never did before, raid, or PVP, although a vast majority of it's players sit in a major city all day.

Sure new content gets released a lot, but then eventually people figure out a way to finish that content. It's a never ending cycle only with different bosses and raids. Run raids, get the best gear from there, wait until another raid comes out.

As for PVP it is unbalanced half the time. A good mage can beat anybody, a good paladin is unstoppable, and a good rogue can't be beatin. Unbalanced. Getting gear isn't even determined on skill. You can sit in the battleground without going afk, and get the same amount of gear as someone who goes out and kills people. Sorry but it all gets boring to me.

I went with WoW, i am a former player, but between uni, both coaching and playing hockey and hanging with my mates i don't have the time to play anymore. WoW is a game that has a lot to offer, you have a multitude of races and of Character Classes that will be able to benefit you depend on which path you take. Once you have your character and race, you then can start to design which of the 3 discipline sections that you want to follow, for example when i played i was a Dwarf hunter i put most of my talent points into Survival and Beast Mastery, because i liked to use a heavy unit for a pet, and hand to hand combat.

Also once you have completed the majority of quests and levelled up, if you are part of a guild it gives you a lot of opportunity for pvp and pve, as well as the fact that Blizzard keeps adding new content everyso often to keep it fresh.

Nothing against FFVI, i just like WoW more.

Nothing against anyone on this board, but it's full of Final Fantasy marks. There is no way WoW should lose this one. Especially since its FFVI, not goddamn FF7. WoW has a huge player fanbase, not to say Final Fantasy doesnt, but 10 million or so is quite large.

The game defines MMORPG every bit as much as Final Fantasy defines RPG, and there is no dispute about that. I defy anyone that says this game was not revolutionary and that it is just like Everquest. It isnt. It's a phenomenon. The online factor produces a social and different result each time you play.

The storyline is as expansive and varied as Final Fantasy, with new updates constantly improving the game giving it the edge over its opponent. Flaming it on reputation alone isnt fair, and not to say FFVI is a lesser game at all. But WoW is the better.

12 all....so that comes to one thing; comments.

WOW; Ty, PYT, GD. Razor, stick foley, Manotaur rodeo clown

FF; Marquis, Fizzy, Fear, Harthan, TM, D-Man.

That is 6-6. Hmm this will be a bar room vote open for half an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back