Round 1; 53 Star Wars: TIE Fighter v 76 Final fantasy IV (NA II)

?

• TIE Fighter

• FF IV

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
images

v

final-fantasy-iv-advance-20051216033455889.jpg

NB The FInal Fantasy here was FFII on the original NA release, however it's the final fantasy IV in the Japanese line and later re releases.​

Another tough one. Final Fantasy IV (or II) is a really underrated game. Not the best in the series obviously, but it's still a top notch RPG, probably one of if not the best from that generation of systems.

That said, I had to go with Star Wars: TIE Fighter here. I used to love that game, the afterschool program I went to always had a line of like 8 people wrestling to get onto the computer and blast away at the rebel scum with out mighty TIE fighters. Good times. Had to go with TIE Fighter because it was the first great Star Wars game at a time when Star Wars games were known to be rather shitty.

I'm going with FF IV here. This was another old school classic Final Fantasy that I enjoyed immensely, and seeing they made a remake of it for the handhelds, well that just made my day even more. TIE Fighter, well I'm not a big fan of flight simulators, and I know this isn't exactly a flight simulator, but it was close enough for me. As a kid I gave it a few rounds before getting frustrated and quit on it.

That and previously said by me, I'm an RPG ****e.

Final Fantasy IV.

Why? I'm a Final Fantasy mark. And I loved Final Fantasy IV. Not the best of the series, but hell. It was a good little game. Good story, didn't fuck up the turn based system yet, and the characters were good stuff. I don't know what I'm going to do with Final Fantasy 7 vs. Final Fantasy X. My head is going to explode.

TIE Fighter, for me, was the "Meh" game of the Star Wars series. I just never really got into it. Just didn't click, sadly enough.

I see no challenge here. It's FFIV, hands down.

The FF series is the greatest series of games to ever grace the presence of gaming systems. It doesn't matter if you enjoy first person shooters, sport games, or RPG's... if you started playing FF games, you wouldn't put them down. Their storylines and gameplay can be understood and played by people of any age, any race, and any preference of gaming.

Now, onto FFII/FFIV.

First of all, just by its advancement from its predecessor alone, this should be voted to advance. The first FF was an interesting, addictive, yet tedious and slow RPG with an extensive storyline and a battle system that was a total mimic of Dragon Warrior. At the time, it was completely overshadowed by DW and almost lost in the shuffle. So, designers of Final Fantasy's sequel wanted to make sure that they would correct their previous mistakes and design a game with quicker load times, a better story, better graphics, more exciting gameplay, and a battle system that would have an edge over its competition, Dragon Warrior.

Once FFII was released, it did everything it was set out to do. The game was a complete 180 from it's predecessor, and it far surpassed Dragon Warrior AND it's sequel. The gameplay was dramatically sped up, the graphics were far advanced, the storyline was more in-depth, more characters were introduced for you to use throughout the game, there were more weapons, spells, and the introduction of the greatest thing to ever have been created for RPG games... the Summon spell.

At the time, there were all sorts of games out there that were a dime a dozen in regards to its spellcasting. A lightning bolt here, a flicker of flames there, and a mini-snowstorm was pretty much the standard for most of the magic-using gaming at the time. FFII took those boring graphics and gameplay and brought it to a whole new level. Spells were shown in detail as they stuck their opponents. And as the basic spells advanced in the forms of FIRE2, ICE2, and LIT2, graphically, you could see and FEEL the increase in power. Then, after the third-level spells, you figured you were finished with the spells, just like in Dragon Warrior and FFI. But, creators came up with an idea for spells that would bring enemies to their knees in the form of a being being summoned to cast a spell that caused utter destruction and was both devestating and expensive to use. The basic fire, ice, and lightning spells were overshadowed as you were able to summon the powers of the GODS of lightning, fire, and ice in the forms of Shiva, Ifrit, and Ramuh, as well as other beings such as Titan, Mist, and the King himself, Bahamut.

This game completely overshadowed all other video games at the time and is still fun to play today. I urge everyone to vote for this game, as well as all other games in the Final Fantasy series. Why? Because they all deserve to be the best.

TIE fighter is not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination. It was a great computer game in its day and represented a lot of advancement in the space combat/flight genres. It's one of the better Star Wars related games ever released, and considering the enormity of that field, that's saying something. It is still a damn good game.

FF4, however, well. It's classic Final Fantasy and like the vast majority of Final Fantasy titles it's just an amazing game. A superbly crafted RPG from top to bottom - gameplay, story, characters, graphics, musical score, I mean everything here is just phenomenal. It was rated by IGN as the best Final Fantasy ever, even.

Final Fantasy IV takes it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back