• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rock and Austin leaving good?

farlance

Pre-Show Stalwart
Lately there has been talk about the Rock selling out and leaving wrestling, mainly on the part of John Cena, but there is also talk by some people about older superstars that are still on tv needing to retire.(HBK, Taker) Think about it though if the Rock didn't leave to do movies and Austin was still healthy and all these veterans from the attitude era were still on tv week in and week out. Would all these guys be able to step aside and let the younger superstars rise to main event level? The good thing about HBK and Taker is that they dont need to be in the main event or a title to still be over, almost like they can still wrestle but kind of stay out of the way. Do you think Austin and Rock could still wrestle and be in that kind of position or be like HHH and need to be in the main event scene all the time. Yes I would love to see the Rock and Austin come back in the ring for dream matches, but I also think if all those guys were still there, the roster would be clogged up with older stars and stale feuds. So the question is, was the Rock and Steve Austin stepping aside good for business or not?

Well The Rock stepping aside was bad for business as everyone thought him going Hollywood would help the WWE, but all The Rock did for the WWE is try everything he could do to get away from it. The reason now why he is Dwayne Johnson. That’s the reason a lot of wrestlers don’t like Rock, because Hogan, Ventura, & Austin all do movies, but they still come back to the WWE and wrestling. They might not get in the ring, but they will at least mention wrestling, The Rock acts like wrestling was a ugly rash he had. He never mentions wrestling in any of his interviews and that’s people problem with him.

Austin was hurting, he had two bad knees and a bad neck, so he had to step away. Him stepping away hurt the business as we lost this major star and lost a lot dream matches in process, but I’m cool with him trying to get into movies as he will still come on WWE TV.

I back Cena up on all his comments on Rock, he doesn’t have to come back a wrestle, but he can make an appearance in the ring. HE can do one promo. Don’t forget that wrestling fans made you. Like Cena may leave the WWE for movies, but I feel that he will still come back for a match or two or at least mention the WWE. I think that is the problem with a lot of people on The Rock, at least mention the WWE. The same as you would mention your old college or high school. Remember where you came from and how you got there.

i actually think its a bad thing. lets face it, these are the 2 biggest stars in wwe history. they are amazing in the ring and have even better mic skills. if they currently on the wwe roster, ratings would soar.

so the rock started a new chapter in his life. is that a crime? i dont think so. if he can make a cool 5 mil making a movie instead of getting thrown around a ring 5+ nights out of the week, i say why not? he made a decision, so who are we to say anything about it?

sure wrestling got him where he wanted to be, but he doesnt have to live on it for the rest of his life. he made a choice before he got in the shape austin is in now. he did it because he wanted to. people are still backing dwayne up even though he's not wrestling. the same people who watched him wrestle are the same ones who are making his movies a success.

what i say is just move on. the man made a life decision. he owes us nothing. he's still entertaining fans, just not in the way you want him to.

on a side note, i dont see the wwe losing momentum because the rock and austin are gone. far from it. wwe is still as popular without them. even if they were there, i dont think it would make much difference. the last time austin appeared, the crowd reaction wasnt deafening. wrestling fans have moved on. i think some need to move on with the rest...

i agree it would be crowed by having them...i dont think cena orton or edge would be wear they are if they was still here......and my god enough with the rock sold out shit......as i remember he came back and did a promo with eugene....but no one remembers that huh?....and for the donald trump and vince hair match he did a promo...oh wait for got that too....And dont get me started on cena.....that punk knows if any his movies was worth a shit he would done the same.....and yea he changed his name to his real name....but if i recall they call him Dwayne "the rock" Johnson....the guy wants to have credit for his movies not his character the rock....give the guy a break...he did simply wat everyone of us would of done....face it hollywood pays more than WWE.....im happy for him.....i dont see anyone calling brock lesnar a sell out? yet he left the wwe for the nfl? hmmm yall need to stop bashing the guy he is human....and if anyone a sell out too its everybodys hero....hulk hogan.....he left wwe for the competition....but no sell out there.....i got a question why is rock leaving so much worse than any of these guys?

Good point on Rock and I agree I mean more power to him for finding something else he loves doing and making money but I think that is what bothers WWE fans that he never mentions it and would never show up in the ring for a promo or anything really. Like it was an ugly rash he had. Perfect analogy. He did the HoF thing for his dad and grandfather but i mean how could he not. Other than that he's done nada for WWE minus that promo 2 or 3 hrs ago for Trump and McMahon

I hope rocky and austin never wrestle again. In their prime they were amazing, but do i want some guy whose body doesn't allow him to perform at his best level, and only there to collect a pay check? Hell no, we have hogan and tna for that!

I love the rock but i would rather watch him on youtube at his best.

:suckit:
Good point on Rock and I agree I mean more power to him for finding something else he loves doing and making money but I think that is what bothers WWE fans that he never mentions it and would never show up in the ring for a promo or anything really. Like it was an ugly rash he had. Perfect analogy. He did the HoF thing for his dad and grandfather but i mean how could he not. Other than that he's done nada for WWE minus that promo 2 or 3 hrs ago for Trump and McMahon

the only people that seem to be complaining are cena and some fans on here. like i said, the man owes the wrestling community nothing. it's like saying a prisoner owes the prison he was in for something. he did his time..now it's on to bigger and better things.

the rock added something wonderful to wrestling, he contributed everything he could, now that part is over.

so the rock started a new chapter in his life. is that a crime? i dont think so. if he can make a cool 5 mil making a movie instead of getting thrown around a ring 5+ nights out of the week, i say why not? he made a decision, so who are we to say anything about it?

sure wrestling got him where he wanted to be, but he doesnt have to live on it for the rest of his life. he made a choice before he got in the shape austin is in now. he did it because he wanted to. people are still backing dwayne up even though he's not wrestling. the same people who watched him wrestle are the same ones who are making his movies a success.

what i say is just move on. the man made a life decision. he owes us nothing. he's still entertaining fans, just not in the way you want him to.

on a side note, i dont see the wwe losing momentum because the rock and austin are gone. far from it. wwe is still as popular without them. even if they were there, i dont think it would make much difference. the last time austin appeared, the crowd reaction wasnt deafening. wrestling fans have moved on. i think some need to move on with the rest...

It’s like you said, wrestling fans go see his movie, so why not mention your wrestling past. I don’t want him to wrestle, I just want him to mention wrestling, mention how wrestling got him is start. If you see his interviews now, he talks about his football past and acting as a young child. The Rock only got into wrestling to make money and left to make more money, a sellout. He never ad a passion for wrestling, just a passion for the money. I mean if you have a passion for your old school, you would mention it once talking about how it got you to succeed, but Rock just won’t do it with the WWE.

I would love to see one more match, but at the same time I wouldn’t because it might not be that good, but I would love one promo or hell just a Rock Bottom. That’s it. You can move on, but at least don’t forget where you came from, because if his acting career takes a downfall, then wrestling is where he will try and come back to.

omg, you're talking as if you know dwayne johnson personally. how do you know he didnt have passion for wrestling? i dont think he would have gotten into it if he didnt. the business isnt for everyone, and only the best survive. he had passion for it, it just got old. being in pain for weeks on end gets old. do you get sick of your job and every think...jeez, there's gotta be something better for me out there." he's lucky he was able to find that something better.

i'm graduating from college this semester, sure they gave me the tools to succeed...but hell...I made it happen. I took the stupid courses, i struggled with my tests and so forth and i'm going to be awarded for it, with my diploma. once i get my good paying job i could careless how i got there..what matters is that i made it.

dwayne did it the with the first couple of movies, so why does he have to keep thanking vince mcmahon and the wwe? did they get him casted for the the gridiron gang? no, did they get him hired for be cool? again no....did they get him a part in race to witch mountain? hell no...so why should he thank them for?

if his movie career goes down the drain..big deal..there's tv and other stuff...plus the man has about 200+ mil in the bank...i dont think wrestling would even come up..that's pocket change now

Jesse Venture ran for Governor of Minnesota with help from wrestling. He didn’t try to shy away from wrestling. He promoted the WWE. As Governor, he refereed a match for the WWE. He never forget that wrestling made him. That’s the thing with the Dwayne Johnson, eh would have never been a star without the WWE. Just speak about wrestling. Do a tape promo once a year, just don’t throw away wrestling. I don’t mind he’s retired, but at least mention wrestling. I don’t care if Cena does movies, hell Jericho left to do movies, but mention wrestling.

Dwayne Johnson didn’t have a passion for wrestling. Hell a lot of people get into wrestling for the money like Batista, Lashley, Goldberg, and others. Dwayne couldn’t cut into football so he made it work in wrestling. You don’t have to have passion to do a great job. I played sports just play. He wrestled for the money and it paid him well. He does owe the WWE, as they got him into the mummy returns. They pushed him on TV. All fans want is a “Hi” once in a while. He is an actor, he should want to keep is fans happy. And 200 mil in the bank can go real fast.

No it was a bad thing. Rock and Austin were amazing...still miss them.
As for getting over. Well I think Rock would maybe but Austin probably wouldn`t...kinda the problem in 2002 (note that here was really horribly used). But they could have kept him in the event picture for sure. Look at HHH.
Rock.....well I think if he didn`t leave and was still wrestling, dunno why I feel he would not have been that loved right now. I think he would have eventually played out as a face. Well, he actually did.

But if they were both still here. I`m sure WWE would have used them creatively...and not make the same mistake than WCW.

I think they should have stayed longer for a smooth transition between generations,

well it obviously would not have been a problem with the rock if he would have stayed because he put so many guys in the spotlight before leaving.... Hurricane, GOldberg, Lesnar and people forget, evolution when he came back for his last match... they did end up losing to evolution so definately would not have been a problem with him and same for austin... i'm sure that he would have had no problem if he was healthier... What i do have a problem with all this rock bashing.... Are you serious? The guy sees an opportunity where he can get out of a business where he has to put himself in a position like at least twice a week where he could be seriously injured for the rest of his life or atleast be through physical pain for an extended amount of time and on a daily basis.... Wrestling is not easy on the body and if anybody can get out and maintain wealth, then they should....Wrestling isn't a bad thing but neither is it a good thing....Also, in this way dywane johnson will ensure that he will be active for much longer than in the wrestling business.... in movies he can act much longer than wrestling where he would have to reduce his schedule and take a pay cut.... cena and others can talk all they want but this is a man who put his family and health first... If you were in his position and wouldn't do it, the n you're just plain dumb.... Also i read someone here say wrestling fans made you, Bullshit don't undermine his accomplishments.... Did you ever say, even in his last wwe days , that oh he's embarrassing, he doesn't give a 100%, no... the guy gave it his all and his final promos as a heel were as good if not better than many of his face promos....Also his character as face was becoming stale for some fans which may have led to the decision to leave (Look up the raw 10 yr anniversary i think it was, where he appeared on screen and fans booed him)....

They were both the best of their time, Their rivalry was incomparable and wrestling should be happy that both were only in the ring when they were at their very best...

oh TI...quit following me around...we're debating on two great subjects...ya cutie tee hee

anyway, when jericho left...he did not mention wrestling when he was performing with fozzy..trust me i know, i went to a concert or two. lita isnt using wrestling to get to places she's going with her band either. so why does this make dwayne so bad? bah, i'm holding strong, he owes the wwe and wrestling fans nothing anymore.

as for his football days, i think it was a thing for guys who got hurt to come into wrestling. he walked on to the univ of miami..pretty big accomplishment. anyway, he wanted into the business so his dad trained him himself...which was not easy i'm sure. if he just wanted the money, all he would show up for was the big ppv payoffs. he paid his dues big time while having to go with such stupid gimmicks as the blue chipper...ugh! the rock made himself. he evolved into something that was bigger than life. HE did that...vince gave him the blue chipper...die rocky die!!! please

what will it serves for him to come in and do a little cameo apperance. just giving the fans a little pickle tickle and he's on his way. big freakin deal. you'd blink and it'd be over. his wrestling career and ties with the wwe are over, once people start getting over it, it'll be less hurtful for you. seriously.

With 2 of the biggest WWE stars leaving the brand was not a good decision for both parties especiaaly for Austin he can't act in movies and he is not as entertaining if he is not whooping ass. The Rock however his acting career is okay its just a blow to the WWE the gimmicks the WWE currently has alot of superstars have horrible gimmicks here are a couple of examples of bad gimmicks currently in the WWE a white rapper/marine(Cena) a big muscle guy who has no personality (Batista) an all american american (Jack Swagger) a big Russian who can't speak english(Kozlov) What the hell is a Gold Standard of (Benjamin) a tall indian playboy who looks ridicolusly phony non entertaining when he is losing a match (Khali) Mike Knox and whatever his gimmick is suppose to be. These gimmicks and more are just as bad WWE needs entertaining ass whooping on TV and its not happening without the Rock N Stone Cold. HHH Undertaker HBK Jericho JBL Kane Mysterio Orton and CM Punk are the most entertaining both ways still remaining but for how long can HHH Undertaker HBK and these other superstars carry the show

I think the rock would still be on top if he were still around.
There would be no need for him to step aside, he is only 36 and when he wrestled his last match he was 31.

Austin would be in the role that he is now, even if he had stuck around a few more years.

I think if they had stuck around, the class of 02 would not have had as big an impact as they did.

Where would Cena,Batista,and Orton be now?
They would just now be becoming big stars.

It all depends on who you prefer.

The Rock left via his own choice. Austin was forced to leave due to his neck injury. There's a big difference. Austin needs to be a hell-raiser who opens up a can of whoop-ass because if he just talks, it's not good entertainment unless a few stunners are thrown in there. The Rock used WWE as a springboard to his acting career which I really don't understand why people are bashing him for that (Cena). Can people not change jobs in this country? Can people not work at one company for a while and then utilize what they learned to go to a different company or profession and enhance those skills? The Rock saw an opportunity and seized it. He had to make a choice and he did because in his mind, he couldn't do both. By the way, I believe he's making more money in movies than he did in the WWE. In any event, both of them not being in the WWE definitely hurts the fan base because they were without a doubt the two biggest draws the company has had since Hulk Hogan. The Rock and Austin were two of the best at stirring up trouble and being the antagonist, anti-authority smart-ass. No two were better and right now, the WWE just doesn't have that one "smart-ass" that can connect with the fans. When they left, WWE had to change what it offered and their ratings simply haven't been as consistent lately as they were earlier this century. Now the WWE has the daunting task of trying to find the next Rock or Austin. I think they will find the next Austin in Mr. Kennedy if they ever decide to use him on TV anymore. Kennedy has said time and again and it's been reported that a lot of the things he does in the ring and on the mic are due to advice he got from Austin. I don't know where the next Rock will come from. I think in the end, though, the WWE will be just fine with who they have and they will use who they have to move forward rather than wishing what they had and taking a step back.

that's the thing..there will not ever be a new rock or a new austin. they are a once in a lifetime entity that comes around. to say that kennedy will take austin's place? pffft that's not going to happen. the guy cant even stay clean or healthy.

ratings havent been consistant? sorry, but they have, sure they're not in the 4.0s but they have stayed in the 3.0 area for over 4 years. the rock and austin are a thing of the past. there will never be another them or another hogan, another piper, or another savage.

I personally would rather see austin back every now and again but the rock never really thrilled me to be honest. Austin leaving was terrible for wwe, not that the rocks departure wasn't but it never lost as many ratings as austins did.

I don't think good is the right term to use, I'd definately prefer if they were still in the business, been watching a lot of The Rock lately, and he's something special, I think there's a good chance he'd still be a big star now. I'd also pay so much to see a great Rock/Cena feud with how good Cens is at the moment.

Austin I think would be similar to Triple H - unlike HBK/Taker, Austin wouldn't be as great without being at the top - his whole gimmick was pretty much being above management, that wouldn't work if he wasn't in the main event.

Ok my take on it is a few of you are wrong with what you said when you said that WWE is as popular now as ever. Wrong! WWE was most popular in the late 90s (attitude era). Look at the facts it was so popular it drove wcw out of business. The ratings Raw would get in 1999 was like a 6.4 or a 6.7 nowadays they are lucky to get a 4.1. Dont get me wrong i will always watch the wwe and watch raw every week but its not as popular as it was and the reason why it was so popular was because of Stone Cold and The Rock. To answer the question, its a very bad thing that they left. One of them leaving left a gap missing and with both gone it just didnt feel right for a while. Now we're just use to having them not there. But WWE (WWF) was at its best when both Rock and Austin were in the company. I honestly think Rock should just forget about making movies and come back to the WWE i mean i cant think of a good movie hes made since Walking Tall. Not that hes a bad actor its just he gets put in sucky films.
And Austin is not old yet he still could have one last run in him if he really wanted to. If Hogan and Flair can do it (and they're like in their 50s) Austin should be able to atleast come back for a couple years.
:wwf:

fav1.jpg

Rock left to pursue something else. I don't like it but this business is too demanding if you are not 100% into it. And from what I understand, his wife was never into him wrestling and concerned about his health.

Austin has an unmeasurable amount of knowledge that he didn't get to exercise. He could have lifted some of today's stars to huge levels. But oh well.

I don't have much of a problem with the prodcut now; not enough to quit watching. WWE has had down times before and it will gain popularity again. Maybe not 6, 7, or 8's but it will get back up there and be able to have consistently good ratings.

CKO siad it perfectly. Ide also like to add rock did come back before to do promo's ofcourse not as many as Austin or Hogan, but imo so what? Austin comes back and either drinks a beer and stunner someone or refs a match and then stunners someone, it gets boring imo, and Hogan has gotten stale and boring to me ages ago.

most wrestling fans simply dont understand that The Rock/Dwayne Johnson will clearly put his family and his health before anyone else,why does he need to comeback and rock bottom lets just say Miz, will we realy remember that no becouse it realy meens nothing

imo rock doesent owe us fans anything we owe him the respect he deserves ide rather see the rock in a movie then making a return to say his catchphrazes do a rock bottom and leave for a another 2 years and repeat

The thing here is Dwayne Johnson did sell out. It was his choice and that's fine, however his fans from wrestling are still supporting his movies and work. They are still helping his career and the very least he can do is in an interview thank the wrestling fans for their continued support. That's all they want. They don't(well not all) want him to return to the ring, but an acknowledgment of their loyalty would be nice.

oh yeah buddy, he sold out alright...quoting lars from metallica...his movies have totally sold out.

bah!!! how many thank yous does the guy have to give?? seriously. the wwe got him in the mummy returns, he thanked everyone for that, the wwe got him into the scorpion king, again he thanked everyone....now he's on his own and doesnt owe no one nothing.

and showstoppermike....i'd like to see you try and wrestle when the doctors have already told you that if you take one more wrong bump, you'll be stuck to a freakin wheelchair for the rest of your life. i dont think you'd be very eager. austin doesnt have a couple of years left in him, hell he doesnt even have a month in him. the guy is done. and he made the right choice to quit before he got seriously hurt. for someone like you to say he left because he wanted to is totally wrong and stupid. you nor i have no idea what sorta pain he's living with. he made a smart decison in his life and you are no one to say that he has an obligation to give the fans "a few more years"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back