• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rey Mysterio Returns

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Tonight Rey Mysterio made a surprise return to Raw. It feels like forever since we’ve seen Mysterio and personally I wouldn’t have minded if we never saw him again. I have nothing against Mysterio. I’ve always liked him. I just feel his time is up. He’s been wrestling for about 20 years and he is constantly injured. You may have thought it was nice to see Mysterio return tonight but aren’t you wondering how long he’ll be around until he ends up on the shelf again?

Rey Mysterio has achieved more than anyone could have ever thought possible. He should be extremely proud of what he’s accomplished. He’s still a relatively young man and I have to assume he is set financially. I’d like to see Mysterio walk away while he still can walk comfortably. You have nothing left to prove Rey. Be with your family and enjoy retirement. Stay healthy enough to be able to play with your grandchildren someday. You’ve earned it.

Regardless of my thoughts on if Mysterio should have returned the fact is he has returned. Now that he’s returned what kind of role do you see him taking? Is he going to be a strong contender or has he reached the point where he will be used to put over younger stars like so many veterans before him? Do you think he should have even returned at all?

So he's going to be involved in that Survivor Series match, because they have nowhere else to put him. Just like with every other veteran return, they don't have anything creative for him anymore, because they don't feel the need to pump their creative A-game into someone who physically can't perform at his peak. Rey Mysterio has always been overrated in my opinion, and every time he makes his "return", I feel the same way I do when Jericho makes a return.

Meh.

He's going to be used lightly in a thrown-together feud with someone who's floating right now, before he himself goes into a creative limbo before being tacked into a tag team, and then taking more time off. That's honestly what I see happening here.

Good to see Rey-Rey back on WWE TV. I've really missed Rey Mysterio! He's been wrestling the majority of his life. So he's almost about done wrestling. But I wouldn't mind seeing him win a world title or two before he retires from the ring. But this is good thing for the WWE and the WWE fans. 6-1-9 time :)

Rey Mysterio returning. THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, why couldn't he have stayed with sharing a retirement home room with Hulk Hogan? His time is up, his knees are too fucked up. I mean really, what else could be wrong with him?

I'm happy to see Rey Mysterio back in the WWE and why wouldn't I be. He seems back and ready to wrestle and I'm ready to watch him. If he can still go then by all means he should and I don't think he would have come back if he couldn't still go.

I'm glad to see Rey back as I've always enjoyed his work, but I'm sure he knows he's on borrowed time after all the injuries. I just hope he has a last run planned out that will see him finish off his in-ring career in the style it deserves.

The thing about a Rey Mysterio is that so long as he's physically able to go out there and perform, WWE will continue to employ him. Reason being is, for nothing else, Rey appeals to both the younger demographic due his diminutive stature, which in turn sells merchandise, and of course, the Hispanic population. So long as there are dollars to be stuffed in coffers, Rey will have a home at WWE.

As for whether or not I am excited to see Rey back? I've never been excited to see Rey Mysterio, so why should I start now? Rey's particular style of wrestling doesn't necessarily appeal to me. It lacks the psychology and rhythm that I find appealing in a wrestling match. It's a bunch of highspots that are haphazardly thrown together to satisfy marks, as far as I am concerned. The only time I can honestly say I enjoyed Rey was during his feud with Eddie Guerrero. Eddie, to me, incorporated a lot of the lucha "spotiness" (everyone who uses that term owes me a nickel) with technically sound, psychologically engaging wrestling. Oh, and unlike both Rey and Alberto Del Rio, Eddie could cut a promo.

I wish Rey the best of luck and hope he continues to pump out those masks for the kiddies. The way I see it, whatever helps the sustainability of the WWE, so they can keep pumping out more DVD's like the "Best of Mid-South" and "Best of Starrcade."

Hey Hunter, what's say you throw in a "Best of Mid-Atlantic/JCP" pre-WCW?

I am happy with his return he will be placed in the 5 on 5 survivor series match.
He might not be at his best but i think WWE can use this opportunity to really use him to put someone over like Sandow maybe before he does get another injury, i love him but hopefully he stays for long so he can put someone over. As you said he has accomplished a lot of things in the wwe, hopefully he gets a good run and puts over someone that needs it

For a while, I have been bored of Rey Mysterio. I think his ability in the ring just plummeted and I no longer found him interesting. However, when they announced there was a mystery partner that was going to be announced at the end of the show, I was fucking ecstatic.

It was between Rey, Christian and Henry and I was delighted it was Mysterio. His injuries have hampered his career and and this point I just want to see Rey have one last solid run. I'm not talking about winning a World Title - although facing Orton at one PPV is fine by me - but just being able to have great matches and entertain the crowd. I know it is soppy but kids LOVE Mysterio and I'm sure he is very grateful for that.

He has contributed a lot to wrestling (ECW, WCW, WWE) and is deemed to be a well respected guy. I might be overrating him a bit but he accomplished a lot in different companies in three different decades and still has his worth. Rey Mysterio should be able to have feuds with guys like Axel, Sandow, Fandango, The Real Americans and The Shield. There is a lot of talent that Rey can have great matches with and put over.

I am delighted that Rey is back and hopefully has and fitting end to his career. People are heartbroken when careers end like Edge's so at least Rey can have final run.

I'm meh about this until I see Mysterio in a feud for an extended period of time.

The last good feud that I can remember Mysterio being in was with the Miz, right after Punk had skipped town with the World Title, and they were having a tournament to crown a new champ. The two of them had good chemistry in the ring, and I think they'd be good again together. Have Miz come out and cut a promo about Mysterio being washed up and how he's the guy who's going to put him out to pasture, and perhaps have Miz "put him out" of commission again (storyline only). I think it's time to start giving Mysterio some promos then about how he's working hard to come back and be competitive again. Finally, have the blow off for the feud at Wrestlemania or Royal Rumble.

I'm sad to say that I've moved on from Rey and if he hadn't returned I wouldn't actually mind that much.

I'm glad he's back, I'm sure he's still better than 90% of the active roster. Hopefully we get a good few months out of him before his knees explode again.

My suggestion for his first feud: Big E. Put the big man with a talented guy with name value in matches that should deliver.

I love Rey Mysterio to death but he should really retire. How many more times is he going to be able to come back from these injuries? Rey is going to be a Hall-of-Famer for sure one day, but if he keeps coming back and re injuring himself how will that affect his legacy?

During his last big return, I mentioned that as much as I like Rey, I didn't want to see him hobbling out there and ruining my good memories. He looked out of shape, he was slower, it was kinda painful to see.

Last night he looked okay, so maybe one last run and a final Mania moment before he hangs it up for good, but anything longer and I start to worry about his long term health...more than I already do.

So....apparently he's hurt again already. More likely he just isn't at 100% to begin with, and even more likely, will never be 100%.

A lot of these guys keep going with injuries, but if Mysterio can't keep a marginally consistent schedule, it's time for him to hang it up.

Personally? I don't care. Sorry, but when it comes to Rey, I've learned to put myself in a "Mark Henry Mindset": I'm not getting my hopes up too high, because it's only a matter of time before he's on the shelf with an injury again.

That's not to say I don't enjoy Rey every now and then, because I do, but CLEARLY, he's a shell of what he used to be. He had a phenomenal feud with Straightedge Society CM Punk a few years ago, the matches were great (I still believe if WWE gave them more time at Wrestlemania 26, they could've had the second best match of the night, better than the superb hair vs SES membership match at Over The Limit), and I have the same feelings about the feud with IC title feud with Chris Jericho. But Rey isn't capable of sustaining a healthy run to be that guy anymore.

Hopefully, WWE limits Mysterio's schedule this time around, so he can make it to Mania XXX for the last hurrah.

Personally I'd like to see Rey have one more year with a title run WWE/WHC (hopefully unified but thast's another story). But yes it has to be said it's probably time next year to hang up the mask and retire. I suppose the real question is who does Rey really need to wrestle ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back