• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Report: Heat On Major NXT Star

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It looks as though there's some pretty significant heat on one of NXT's top prospects, Kassius Ohno. According to a report I just read at wrestlinginc.com, there were plans in place to bring Ohno up to the main roster at some point this summer but those plans are currently on hold. WWE officials are still said to be very high on Ohno's work both on the mic and inside the ring but there's said to be increased concern in regards to his status with the company.

The heat is said to be that officials have requested that Ohno work on improving his physique while creative set things in motion for his debut to the main roster. The problem is, allegedly, that Ohno has been dodging his gym sessions, especially when those sessions involve weight training. Word has gotten back to Triple H and Ohno has currently been removed from NXT tapings, and hasn't been seen the past few weeks of tapings. Again though, the report states that a lot of people are still very high on Ohno, but this could potentially be costly for him going forward.

Ohno has been one of the guys definitely worth keeping your eye on down in NXT. I'm most certainly an advocate of the "looks aren't everything" component in a pro wrestler as Ohno is very good on the mic and inside the ring. At the same time, however, I honestly do understand the concerns about Ohno's look. When I first saw Kassius Ohno wrestle down in NXT, I couldn't help but notice that he's someone that has a really strange physique. He's got something of a...well I guess a really skinny but fat sort of appearance. Ohno's very tall, maybe about 6'4" or 6'5" and probably weighs around 215 pounds, which is pretty slim for someone of his build. However, that's not really a huge deal as he has sort of a more rangy kind of build like Jack Swagger. The problem stems from the fact that Ohno has damn near no muscle tone whatsoever. When it comes to muscular development, Ohno makes guys like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Curtis Axel & Chris Jericho look like Ryback. I very much enjoy Ohno's work, though I did see his physique as a potential problem for him going forward from the start.

It sort of puts me in mind of the alleged, and I do mean alleged, problems TNA & Samoa Joe have had. Reportedly, TNA officials have repeatedly requested that Joe drop some weight but he's refused. It hasn't led to a release or anything but, all in all, Joe's career there has generally been in limbo ever since his run as TNA World Heavyweight Champion ended almost 5 years ago. And frankly, Ohno doesn't have the kind of stroke in WWE that Joe has amassed in TNA. Joe is someone that's been part of TNA and helped get it off the ground when the company landed its first national television deal with Spike.

Now 10 years or so ago, I doubt Ohno would have even gotten hired in WWE based on the look that he has. His talent is there, no question, but Ohno is somebody that's just not in a position to refuse something that's a pretty modest request from the company. Ohno is surrounded by men both in NXT and on the main roster that know all about the nutritional aspects and could aid him in designing a work out plan that would doubtlessly get him positive results. It's not like WWE is telling him to slap on 75 pounds of lean muscle mass or anything. Hell, they asked Brodus Clay, who weighed about 450+ pounds while he was in WWE developmental to drop some weight and he worked his ass off to lose over 100 pounds. Reluctance on Ohno's part to avoid gym time could be taken as part of a larger problem by some high ups in WWE. After all, if he's unwilling to do anything so basic as to tone up his physique, then what about when he's asked to do something that's not so basic?

He needs to talk to CM Punk. If you remember when Punk came in, he was pretty linky too but not as much as Kassius Ohno. Punk said that he put on a lot of muscle when he got to the "E" and I believe that Kassius Ohno needs a talk. He has all the talent in the world and he could be a future WWE champion granted if he just works on this one thing. I could understand if he was a 500 pounder and they asked him to lose 100lbs, but they're just asking him to put on weight. It's not hard.

I think this is foolish on Ohno's part. He is a good prospect and all the company wants from him is to tone up a bit. That's not a huge thing. Is it laziness on his part? I think someone needs to talk to him and let him know why it is required.

He needs to grow up and do what his employer demands of him. He's trying to make it in the big leagues and is saying "no" when they tell him to tone up? What an idiot. He needs to stop acting like he's a megastar and realize he is a VERY expendable employee.

This is simply stupid on Ohno's part. Sure, there could be some reason we don't know about, but I don't deem that too likely. This is a punishment that makes perfect sense. Triple H is an interesting guy to lead a company because he came from the other side, but also has the greatest mentor one could seek in wrestling. He knows that looks matter, and Ohno, frankly, looks like shit. Sure, he's fit and can perform to a decent standard, but like the OP said, it's one of the first things anyone notices. His music hits, a bear belly waggles out on stage and wins the fight with a spinning love-handle.

Trips of all people could tell you that looking good will get you noticed. It worked for him at least. So when he asks you to hit the gym and help your own career, and you don't do it? It's a pretty obvious showing of a lack of dedication. This sin't a power thing, we can tell from the backstage arguement with Bryan and how Trip's didn't pull rank on that. Taking him off TV for a taping or two should sort his head out pretty fast. Especially when he sees how light his wallet gets.

Whilst it's a shame that this happened to Ohno I really feel no sympathy for him. Sure he's an Indy star, an amazing in ring performer, but also a WWE prospect. If what the report says is true and they were going to give him a spot on the main roster then you do it regardless of whatever pride or stubbornness you have.

NXT wrestler makes I believe 29,000 dollars a year. That's not a whole lot of money and for the ability to multiply this amount substantially and blow it over a lack of working out is just plain stupid.

How many times do we see guys like The Rock, Cena, Lesnar, explain the importance of working out. Heck, The Rock posts a picture on Facebook almost every day of getting in shape. It seems this is one thing that is automatically built into a wrestlers DNA. If you dodge sessions and skip something this important to wrestlers then you're stupid.

If you put in the effort to be the best eventually you'll get the best and to blow an opportunity like this by disrespecting wrestling tradition and not following through on what your employer wants is stupid.

While I agree with Jack-Hammer that physique doesn't matter all that match, you still have to look somewhat like a wrestler. The likes of Punk and Bryan may not be huge, but their muscles are toned and they have very little fat on their bodies. Ohno, while he may be the best in-ring talent in NXT, just looks sloppy. It's different for Bray Wyatt and Mick Foley because their body shape suits/suited their gimmick. Ohno just looks like a random hobo, which I'm pretty sure isn't his gimmick.

And then there's the problem of not listening to the higher-ups of WWE. While the people who run WWE (and NXT) may do some stupid stuff occasionally, they still know what they're doing for the most part. They're the likes of Triple H and Dusty Rhodes. Suffice to say, they know a lot more about the business than Ohno does, so maybe he should have some respect and listen.

He doesn't have to look like Cena. Just cut a little fat and build a little muscle. I really hope Ohno gets his head out of his ass and hits the gym, because it would be a shame if he didn't make it in the WWE for not doing something wrestlers should automatically do.

Ummmmmm, while I will never agree with ignoring the demands of an employer, especially where they are making demands in order to give you a better position within the company, how in the blue hell can they even suggest that Ohno get 'in better shape' when you've got Brodus Clay, Tensai and Big Show whose belt lines get to the ring long before their backs do? There is huge money in Ohno, and much like was said about Punk, it'll click when he gets the call. Frankly, Chris Hero is above NXT. He's better than developmental and I call BS on the whole 'get in better shape while we find something for you'.

That being said, I do applaud the E and especially HHH for making creative come up with long term plans for guys before they get the call. I just question where the priorities are in terms on who gets pushed. Frankly, given that HHH is pushing for more tag teams, and there is a logical link with Cesaro, I'm blown away that they didn't pair Cesaro and Ohno together with Zeb, and let Swagger work singles. Whichever of the two proves themselves in the tag team a year from now, gets the singles puch.

how in the blue hell can they even suggest that Ohno get 'in better shape' when you've got Brodus Clay, Tensai and Big Show whose belt lines get to the ring long before their backs do?

As mentioned previously, these guys are supposed to be big and their huge size is a part of their characters.

The problem is that Ohno isn't fat like these guys, but his muscle toning is sloppy. That's why WWE wants him to workout sufficiently to improve his physique. As much as CM Punk isn't a body builder, he still has a better muscle tone than Ohno.

As mentioned previously, these guys are supposed to be big and their huge size is a part of their characters.

The problem is that Ohno isn't fat like these guys, but his muscle toning is sloppy. That's why WWE wants him to workout sufficiently to improve his physique. As much as CM Punk isn't a body builder, he still has a better muscle tone than Ohno.

You can be big and have huge size without being, well, lets say, round. In all honesty, if the E is seriously trying to be child centric, then having fat ass Clay portraying the virtues of obesity is not responsible. The E wants to have its proverbial cake and eat it too, and it comes off as hypocritical. Frankly, other than the 'pythons' Hogan was never really a physical specimen.

You can be big and have huge size without being, well, lets say, round.

Andre The Giant, The Big Show, Mark Henry, all of these guys are considered super heavyweights. All of these guys don't have an amazing physique, however all of these guys are tremendously fit. You don't need to be jacked to be a big man. You blame Tensai for not looking proper but honestly was Rikishi incredibly jacked looking no and they're very similar characters. I'd say nobody in the WWE is round everyone has great fitness whether it appears in Punk size form, Cena size form, or Big Show form.

In all honesty, if the E is seriously trying to be child centric, then having fat ass Clay portraying the virtues of obesity is not responsible.

You can't be that moronic to say something of this nature can you. Nobody in the WWE is obese. They're all athletes and all in shape. If you're saying that they're obese then you're absolutely crazy. They all work out a ton, all eat extremely well and all could probably out perform you in athletics. Far from obese.

Now to your second point if WWE really did want to be kid friendly wouldn't it be even more kid friendly for them to say we accept everyone In all shapes and sizes and say no to bullying? Oh wait nobody in WWE is obese though.

The E wants to have its proverbial cake and eat it too, and it comes off as hypocritical. Frankly, other than the 'pythons' Hogan was never really a physical specimen.

WWE is not body building. WWE is sports entertainment with athletes. Athletes don't have to be body builders or have perfect bodies. It's clear you're just missing the point.

The bottom line is that if Ohno has been given something to do by his employers and then dodged doing it, Triple H is absolutely right in taking the action he has supposedly taken.

Ohno is built like Edge, he's tall but doesn't carry the proportionate weight, so his body looks long. Edge countered this by always being toned so he looked fit.

I don't think Triple H would suggest that Ohno do as he did and go from the blue blood look to the jacked bodybuilder look, but simply tone up his body, not a big ask in return for a pay rise and spot on the main roster.

Obviously this is all supposition right now and Ohno may show up on Raw tomorrow night, however if taken at face value I don't think this will be the end for Ohno, more likely Triple H will talk to him and try to make him see sense and then Ohno will put the work in and get things back on track.

If he still looked a little flabby but he was making a conscious effort to work it off, this wouldn't have been a story. Since he dodged the weight room, he looks like someone who doesn't take kindly to doing what he's told. I don't know if any of you have ever had a job before, but not doing what your boss tells you to do is absolutely a cause for punishment.

That would be the correct response if this story wasn't just fan fiction.

Not to ruin your discussion, but this was posted by Rob Naylor who worked at NXT as a creative assistant on another forum I frequent:

"Wrestling Inc" story is false. Just saying.

"Dodging gym time" made me laugh - as everyone in the system trains with the new strength coach with no exceptions. Couldn't "dogde the gym" if he wanted to.

It's true he needs to get in better cosmetic shape - hopefully he starts putting it together.

Soooo...there ya go. I'd believe someone who's been over there instead of some dirtsheet.

Some have mentioned what Punk did initially in WWE and add weight and was at 245 and then decided I am who I am and I will wrestler around HBK's weight of 218-225 and if WWE doesn't like it I will go elsewhere
Ohno should just say to WWE I am comfortable at such and such weight I am not compromising certain in-ring ability based off of weight gain because some so called marketing genius thinks something will work when in wrestling 60% of the first time gimmicks fail miserably

Andre The Giant, The Big Show, Mark Henry, all of these guys are considered super heavyweights. All of these guys don't have an amazing physique, however all of these guys are tremendously fit. You don't need to be jacked to be a big man. You blame Tensai for not looking proper but honestly was Rikishi incredibly jacked looking no and they're very similar characters. I'd say nobody in the WWE is round everyone has great fitness whether it appears in Punk size form, Cena size form, or Big Show form.

You can't be that moronic to say something of this nature can you. Nobody in the WWE is obese. They're all athletes and all in shape. If you're saying that they're obese then you're absolutely crazy. They all work out a ton, all eat extremely well and all could probably out perform you in athletics. Far from obese.

Now to your second point if WWE really did want to be kid friendly wouldn't it be even more kid friendly for them to say we accept everyone In all shapes and sizes and say no to bullying? Oh wait nobody in WWE is obese though.

WWE is not body building. WWE is sports entertainment with athletes. Athletes don't have to be body builders or have perfect bodies. It's clear you're just missing the point.

You can sit at your computer and claim that I'm 'moronic', I believe is what you said, but then you claim that Andre the Giant, throughout his career, and the Big Slow, WWE version, are fit? Henry is a beast, but there's a simple reason his matches are kept short and he gets injured? He isn't fit.

My point has been that the E isn't about bodybuilding, which was obviously lost on you as you attempted to be clever and refer to someone by a word I am sure you've often been called.

Now, back to what I was saying: yes it is ok for HHH to have expectations of Ohno, but realistically, there are bigger fish to fry, and Ohno is plenty fit enough, he just doesn't fit the mould that HHH currently wants, which it would seem is more bodybuilder, which would be why, if he did tell Ohno to bulk up, is the reason why.

Not to ruin your discussion, but this was posted by Rob Naylor who worked at NXT as a creative assistant on another forum I frequent:

Soooo...there ya go. I'd believe someone who's been over there instead of some dirtsheet.

Wow! I remember Naylor from another forum years ago, he was one of the few there I liked, good to hear he has done well and good to hear the news on Ohno is false.

I wonder if WWE took him off the NXT tapings so he can show up on Raw and unveil his new look without it being spoiled.

He needs to talk to CM Punk. If you remember when Punk came in, he was pretty linky too but not as much as Kassius Ohno. Punk said that he put on a lot of muscle when he got to the "E" and I believe that Kassius Ohno needs a talk.

I just can't see how a talk with Punk would change anything. Punk and Hero have a long history going back to CZW and know each other well. He is obviously well aware of the work Punk put in to improve his physique.

More importantly the guy spent years traveling and working along side Antonio Cesaro. Cesaro is notoriously dedicated to his health and workout plan. He uses a very scientific approach to both his muscle group focusing as well as his eating habits and maintains a sub-7% body fat. As a result he is undoubtedly one of the most impressive physical specimens in the business, despite not being muscled like a Ryback, Mason Ryan, Rob Terry etc.

If working so closely with Cesaro was not enough to rub off on Ohno then I can't imagine any other wrestler will get through to him either.

If this story is true; the big problem here, as others have pointed out, seems not to be Ohno's inability to transform his body, but more so his reluctance to do what has been asked of him by his employer, which just simply seems to be a desire for him to show a little more commitment in the gym while awaiting a call-up.

Look can honestly be the only thing holding Ohno back from making the jump. He is more than seasoned enough, his work at NXT has been top-notch, he is great on the mic, and has been elite in the ring for many years now.

I think the WWE missed the boat by not including him as part of The Shield angle. He would have fit very well in the group and the ring attire would have hid his odd physical proportions. If and when the group were to disband he would already be over enough to where a switch to more traditional ring gear wouldn't be as potentially damaging.

I hope this is all an incorrect or blown out of proportion report, as Ohno is clearly ready for the main roster from a character and work perspective.

As far as the current landscape, he would seem to fit quite nicely as a third "Real American" allowing that group to even up it numbers with the other stables currently running like the Wyatt's, Shield, and 3MB. And he could add to Zeb's mic work and give the group another mouthpiece, a role which Swagger is incapable of playing due to his shortcomings as a speaker and one that is odd for Cesaro in this circumstance due to the fact that he is not actually American.

I think this may be more about what they have in mind for him than what they are asking him to do. It's entirely conceivable that Ohno himself hates the name/gimmick and wants to do Kings Of Wrestling. Cesaro is currently busy but I am sure, if the chance came he would be keen to do it too... just not yet.

The other side of the coin is that if the E is asking him to improve his body. it's not just gonna be about being cut and look... they may have some genuine concerns about his strength when facing the bigger guys on the roster - after all being cut is no guarantee you can lift guys when if matters - look at Ryback and Wade Barrett's issues early on with their moves, they clearly had to do some extra strength work to be safe and in Barrett's case he got a new finisher cos once his arm was injured, Wasteland was no longer really an option. Even Warrior couldn't lift Hogan for the Press properly...

At this level, a lapse in strength or more importantly, a percieved weakness from an opponent could kill, so someone like Trips is gonna be hot on it, he's seen enough guys have to retire cos of what amount to botch injuries. Look at Barrett and Ziggler when Wade got hurt - Barrett either didn't trust Ziggler enough to go with what he wanted or more likely had to compensate for Ziggler's attempt to oversell the spot... in that case Barrett nearly lost his career but had Barrett not adjusted, Zig's head and neck were going straight into that barrier... you're talking fatally.

Of course many will immediately say cos Paul is a muscle man that that's what he wants... it won't be it'll be about safety, the more muscle tone you have, the more you can lift, the quicker you rebound from injuries and the more "padding" you have to protect you... being cut won't stop injuries but someone who is shirking lifting when their job is basically lifting legit 300+ men for a living is not gonna have a job for long...cos none of those 300lbers will let him lift them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back