• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Replace Capitol Punishment

NotoriousWWE

Pre-Show Stalwart
For me, Capitol Punishment is by far WWE's worst concept of a PPV to date. For one they are using the setting of the PPV as the selling point of it. Its stage had a pathetic D.C look to it and its music was so patriotic it became annoying. Every week superstars are going to different Cities, so this for me makes no sense. I just think WWE officials wern't too high on Fatal-4-Way and needed an idea quickly. If like me you watched both PPV's I think its fair to say that Fatal-4-Way was the better event. As for Capitol Punishment, it was just a blur in what has been a big year for WWE. So WWE here's why and how you could either replace Capitol Punishment or just simply scrap it.

WWE spend most of their time creating stipulated PPV's such as Hell in a Cell and Elimination Chamber. Now, although some of these are good (Money in the Bank) , some of them are also very boring, stale and do not help storylines build or come to a conclusion. Lately though WWE opted to use Vengeance a former PPV of there's as a PPV this year. WWE could look into this and opt to choose former PPV's such as Armageddon or even The Great American Bash as replacements for the event.

If not what PPV could they come up with? What would interest fans? Here's 3 possible suggestions of replacement PPV's.

PPV Name: WWE Elevation

Concept: The PPV is to give younger talent the chance to prove they have what it takes to become a star. Building-up to the PPV, 5 Mid-card superstars such as Zack Ryder, Dolph Ziggler, John Morrison, Jack Swagger and Mason Ryan all compete on what it called the Road to Elevation (A Tournament of matches). The winner gets a shot at the WWE Title at the PPV and a chance of proving they have what it takes to main event for World Titles. Of course WWE would pick wisely but how about they throw in the chance to pick your 5 superstars via a poll? Something exciting for a change.

Match example: WWE Title: CM Punk (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler

PPV Name: WWE Road to Success

Concept: Sounds a little like TNA's Bound for Glory but is different. It is a little like the Beat The Clock challenges we used to be given on SmackDown where superstars would participate to try and earn the fastest time to get a World Title match. Instead of maybe the Beat the Clock they could opt to use the King of the Ring type tournament except the Champion wouldn't have fought so it would be a little unfair and take up much of the PPV's time.

Match Example: Daniel Bryan earns the fastest time vs. Hunico and will face Christian for the World Title.

PPV Name: WWE Dead End

Concept: No real concept to it other than singles matches but the theme of the PPV allows the use of such stipulations as Hardcore matches. Its really just another PPV to pass time but with more chance of seeing pure wrestling than anything above.

Match Example: Sheamus vs. Randy Orton - 3 Stages of Hell

Please comment with any suggestions of replacement PPV's, thanks for reading.

I guarantee you that Capitol Punishment is not coming back. Fatal Fourway did bad in buy-rates and they needed a last minute replacement idea. They were going to be in DC so they went with a political theme. Terrible segments with fake interviews of the president ended up being the gimmick. Absolutely awful. I think that they would have been better off bringing back one of their older themes, The Great American Bash. Up until 2008 that PPV series had a red, white, and blue "american" theme, before it got renamed "The Bash" and turned into just another show.

They were in the DC. It would have been the perfect time to bring back this PPV concept. In fact, they used to place The Great American Bash in the June/July timeframe anyhow, so why not just bring that back to replace Capitol Punishment? It would make sense because older fans will remember it and it fits far better for a political/american theme than Capitol Punishment which was a failure and needs to be replaced for upcoming years.

Love your idea about WWE Elevation. I like the idea of bringing mid-card talent to the big time, and instead of just jumping in there with no one knowing them, the WWE can build them up. A thread a couple of days ago suggested a WWE ranking system with Main Event Talent, Mid-Card Talent, Lower-Card Talent etc. If it was used, they could use Mid-Card Talent in that.

I agree absolutley on scrapping WWE Capitol Punishment. I don't get why WWE shove the red, white and blue down our throats. That is how it seems, honestly I don't mind having things like that or The Great American Bash, but, to worldwide audiences (which is what WWE is concerntrating on) they won't nescasseraly like it. I personally, being English, don't mind, but, CP just has to go, no argument. An old PPV, maybe? Something that hasn't got a gimmick as too many PPV's nowadays do. The Royal Rumble, yes, Elimination Chamber, yes, Extreme Rules, ok, CP, no! Has to go.

Reactions: IHW
OK so somehow because of a PPV name that means it does a bad buy rate? I can see that logic...

"This PPV name SUCKS so I won't be buying it!"

PPVs don't get bought when they build up sucks. R-Truth vs Cena was not a draw in any way.

Every week superstars are going to different Cities, so this for me makes no sense.

"Capitol Punishment" was just a pun. I think it would be pretty neat if they kept having the event at various State capitols and of course DC.

WWE spend most of their time creating stipulated PPV's

And Capitol Punishment wasn't a gimmick/stipulation PPV. Hell, you even suggest a bunch of gimmick/stipulation PPVs which is what people are sick of.

PPVs should be built around the matches, not the type of matches/gimmick.

All of these PPVs would do better if they were built up right, the PPV price dropped, and if there were at LEAST one PPV a month.

I agree absolutley on scrapping WWE Capitol Punishment. I don't get why WWE shove the red, white and blue down our throats. That is how it seems, honestly I don't mind having things like that or The Great American Bash, but, to worldwide audiences (which is what WWE is concerntrating on) they won't nescasseraly like it

Define "shoving down out throats" because that is such a vague term. Also aren't the colors on the Union Jack red white and blue? :p

You even said you didn't mind the Great American Bash. They changed it to "The Bash" for the reason of catering to worldwide audience which was good, but pissed off some "old school fans".

So in conclusion, the name of the PPV has nothing to do with buy rates. If the cards were built up right and were actually spread out so we don't get 3 PPVs in 5 weeks time, that would be better.

What about an Iron Man PPV in it's place where the main event is an Iron Man match. It would be the only time of the year you could see an Iron Man match in WWE. Have it instead of Capitol Punishment. Have it as the end to a big feud. I could see C.M. Punk and John Cena battling it out for the last time, after almost a year since Punks rant. I could see them fighting at Extreme Rulz and Over the Limit, for the WWEC. Then finally, the rubber match to see who is the best. This could be a great time for Cena to turn heel, if he loses and is not going to be the top guy in the company. Punk is the undisputed MAN of the WWE and Cena gets a fresh heel turn. This is what I'd like to see happen.

They were going to be in DC so they went with a political theme.

I think that's all there was to Capitol Punishment. I actually liked the theme but would not want to see it become a regular ppv. I would like to see WWE go back to how they did it in 96-97. I thought a custom name based on the venue or main event was pretty cool. Names like Beware of Dog and Revenge of the Taker worked for me. The only problem with that is a ppv schedule is usually released long before a main event is decided but I think they can make it work.

The schedule is released well in advance but names change alllllll the time. They could just list it as "In Your House" again but I don't see the issue. It was in DC, so Capital Punishment was a good name for that SINGLE event.

I highly doubt it is called Capital Punishment next year cause it probably won't be in DC.

Don't worry, I think everyone including the WWE brass knows that Capitol Puninsment really didn't sell to the public. It was definitely a one time theme and I think they'll come up with something alot better to replace it, well anything would be better really. A stipulation PPV might be a good option, especially if it's a new one that none of us have seen or heard of. At the same time if you have too many of those they lose significance, I would say keep it a regular PPV with a better theme and they'll be totally fine, maybe put a stipulation match on the card but thats as far as I would go.

I think KOTR should make a come back. It helps build up the younger talent. It has good build with qualifying matches and quarter final matches on raw and smackdowns before the show. You have two semi final matches on the PPV card one from raw one from sd. It showcases your young and veteran talent on sd/raw/ and the ppv. You still get your regular PPV matches and title matches just added is the tournament. And use the tournament to advance some feuds, guys screw each other out of advancing in the tournament stuff like that.

I wouldnt have the KOTR winner take up the "Royalty" gimmick as its been done. I like hte idea of getting a title shot at SS. Have MITB in between KOTR & SS and then they can have the winner compete in another singles match to help them get over even more. Also youd get a nice build to SS with the winner knowing who they were going to face or even have it be like the rumble where you can choose which champion. An easy way to have someone jump ship to teh other brand (ignoring the fact that the line between each brand is pretty vague)...

I like this idea. It’s not just Capitol Punishment. When the WWE started naming the monthly events after the stipulations of the Main Events, I didn’t like it at first. Now, I have grown to like it and want more. I think if the WWE is going to go with themed Pay Per Views, they should do it all year round. They should scrap Over The Limit, Capitol Punishment, and Vengeance. Vengeance 2001 was one of, if not my favorite WWE PPV of all time, but we didn’t have it for 3 years, why did they bring it back??

I would replace them with King Of The Ring, Invasion. October really only needs Hell In A Cell. I think that was enough for one month. I’m sure the names are familiar, and there is no need for me to explain, but…

May – King Of The Ring.
Of course there will be qualifying matches on Raw and Smackdown, but this time, there will also be qualifying matches on Superstars and NXT. There will be 8 Superstars headed to the PPV, 2 winners from each show. The King Of The Ring Winner gets a shot at the WWE OR World Champion anytime till next year’s King is Crowned. Think of it like WM’s MITB Winner. The gimmick would also help the Winner.

June – Invasion.
This is a little bit tricky, but I think it could work out for a month. Have TNA invade Raw and have ROH invade Smackdown for a whole month after King Of The Ring. As a matter of fact, have them invade King Of The Ring. HAHA!! Then when the PPV comes, set up Raw vs. TNA and Smackdown vs. ROH matches. Then of course the finale, Raw vs. TNA vs. Smackdown vs. ROH, 5 on 5 on 5 on 5 War Games : The Match Beyond. Instead of 2 rings, it will be 4 rings.

Since we’re on the topic, I’d change Survivor Series too. Make the whole card Traditional Survivor Series 4-on-4 or 5-on-5 Elimination Tag Team matches again. Also make the Main Event a Raw vs. Smackdown Elimination Tag Team match for the Bragging Rights Trophy.

Personally, i hate the idea of gimmick PPV's. It takes away the excitement of a long feud culminating in a hell in a cell match. I despise the Hell In A Cell PPV, the orton-henry match at the last one was basically an awful wrestling match just plonked inside the cell. The money in the bank match should be a wrestlemania and have 10 guys competing for one briefcase!

The Elimination Chamber and TLC are the only PPV I like that is centred around a specific match type. TLC is a great way to end the feuds of the year so there's a fresh start at the RR

I love the idea of bringing back KOTR and the winner facing a champion at SS. Then move Vengeance back to July like it was 02-07.

Get rid of Hell in a cell and bring back no mercy. 1 ppv a month is more than enough. having 2 in october is just pointless.

As for Capitol punishment, its just another fill in for the June slot. Since KOTR ended as a ppv we've had vengeance, great american bash, bad blood, fatal 4 way, i think extreme rules was in june at one point also. SO BRING BACK KING OF THE RING

IMO:
january- royal rumble
february- elimination chamber/no way out
march- wrestlemania
april- backlash
may- extreme rules
june- king of the ring
july- vengeance
august- summerslam
september- night of champions
october- no mercy/cyber sunday/unforgiven
november- survivor series
december- TLC

If anything, they need to get rid of Hell In A Cell and TLC!

Those two pay per views are the least I look forward to every year because they drop the ball with them. Hell In A Cell is a dull pay per view, I have not enjoyed the pay per view since it became a pay per view, and TLC is just all over the place... A Chairs match? that is sooo stupid!

I'm going to echo all of the people who said that Capitol Punishment was a one-time deal because the show was being held in DC and they didn't want to produce another Fatal 4-Way disaster. Personally, I thought the theme was cool and I enjoyed the Obama skits. I agree with The Brain that they could just name this something different next year based on location or storyline.

As for gimmick PPVs, I don't like them much. I'm surprised no one else has an issue with the "Elimination Chamber" PPV. That is a match type that should only be used when it makes sense to use it...when five or six guys have rightful claims towards the WWE\World title. For example, a Chamber match would be perfect for say a December PPV (if Armageddon was still around):

Alberto Del Rio
CM Punk
John Cena
The Miz
R-Truth
Dolph Ziggler

Besides Ziggler, all of those guys have rightful claims to a title shot. Truth was screwed at....Capitol Punishment! :p Miz was in the finale of a tournament that was quickly forgotten. Cena was screwed at Vengeance while Punk and Del Rio are in a title feud right now.

If anything, let me try to justify the Elimination Chamber match at the Elimination Chamber PPV. I think the final 5 Raw Superstars and the final 5 Smackdown Superstars in the Royal Rumble match, not including the Royal Rumble winner, of course, should be in the Elimination Chamber matches against the WWE Champion and the World Champion. That could make sense, but then again, this is the WWE we’re talking about.

OK so somehow because of a PPV name that means it does a bad buy rate? I can see that logic...

"This PPV name SUCKS so I won't be buying it!"

PPVs don't get bought when they build up sucks. R-Truth vs Cena was not a draw in any way.

"Capitol Punishment" was just a pun. I think it would be pretty neat if they kept having the event at various State capitols and of course DC.

And Capitol Punishment wasn't a gimmick/stipulation PPV. Hell, you even suggest a bunch of gimmick/stipulation PPVs which is what people are sick of.

PPVs should be built around the matches, not the type of matches/gimmick.

All of these PPVs would do better if they were built up right, the PPV price dropped, and if there were at LEAST one PPV a month.

Define "shoving down out throats" because that is such a vague term. Also aren't the colors on the Union Jack red white and blue? :p

You even said you didn't mind the Great American Bash. They changed it to "The Bash" for the reason of catering to worldwide audience which was good, but pissed off some "old school fans".

So in conclusion, the name of the PPV has nothing to do with buy rates. If the cards were built up right and were actually spread out so we don't get 3 PPVs in 5 weeks time, that would be better.

OK... Yeah, lets join the American Party. I'm sure everyone in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc etc want to join the American Party, and watch a pathetic shitty segment with a fake Barack Obama.

Yes, the colours of the Union Jack are Red, White and Blue, but when people say that, most people assume you're on about the US, especially if it has something to do with the WWE.

I like the idea of a payperview where you get someone who is in the midcard and starting to break out, or have a bunch of number on contenders matches. They could call it wwe uprising. For instance, if they were to have it now, they might have a wwe number on contendership scramble match between zack ryder, dolph ziggler, jack swagger, kofi kingston, and drew mcintyre. Then the world championship they could do a fatal four way between ezekiel jackson, justin gabriel, wade barrett, and hunico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back