Rematches

kadroan

King Of The Ring
I notice lately we're getting random rematches of feuds that took place less than 2 years ago instead of a one time thing.

Recently we've had Taker vs. Brock, Cena vs. Rollins and Brock vs. Show and it looks like now the inevitable Taker vs. Bray should take place soon. I know some people aren't fans of rematches but some feuds we're actually good and actually deserved to be revisited.

Thoughts?

I never got the whole Taker "out for revenge, but it's taken me this long to realize it act". Lot's have happened since that feud was over and some things are and should be left in the past.

The one feud which I actually enjoyed and never seemed to come to a conclusion was the Ambrose/Rollins. I know they fought a couple of time, but Rollins spent the whole time running away from Ambrose.

That's one I wouldn't mind them coming back to later down the road. The rest of them well sometimes creative just isn't very creative are they.

Most Rematches happen just because of lazy booking by the Creative...... But Yeah some of them went pretty well....
As in case of Bray Wyatt vs Undertaker; I want Bray Wyatt to go over atleast this time to show that He is a Threat.... Not the one who starts unreasonable feuds and loses them most likely...

Most Rematches happen just because of lazy booking by the Creative......

I'm not sure whether it's lazy booking or following a plan established by Vince McMahon and the Creative department. A few years back, it was apparently decided that each feud would be carried out over a series of matches, rather than a one-time encounter. This became feasible (and advisable) when WWE went to monthly pay-per-views; since so little time was given for encounters to properly develop, it made more sense to carry them out over multiple matches, giving the fans more of a chance to see the feud evolve over time instead of being resolved and discarded after one match.

Yes, to an extent, WWE has always had multi-match feuds that developed as a function of the storyline, but in today's WWE, it seems to be a hard-fast policy to handle programs this way.

Wrestling memory is usually only a few months, unless commentators need to bring up the past, seeing a year dead feud reignite isn't the most awful things, some characters evolve, Bray Wyatt specifically has evolved quite a bit since he last feuded with Mr. Taker. Giving Husky another chance to work with the legend should do nothing but empower his dark side even further, and perhaps may even be a good chance of passing the torch. Everytime Vince gets interviewed he can't stop mentioning Bray Wyatt as the first person on his list of young stars he's high on.

I've always wished the continuity of stories stayed relative for even longer, I hate when a previous feud is completely ignored, Outside events like Royal Rumble and (in the past) King of the Ring, the narrative turns a blind eye to past events unless Michael Cole or JBL need to misinterpret a statistic.

Taker vs Brock was just a money grab, they didn't have a plan or match worked out, and it's the perfect example of why having specialty match ppvs has ruined the effect of them (outside Elimination Chamber and Royal Rumble, which need to be their own yearly specialties for obvious reasons.) Without digressing the topic to that though, it was fairly obvious Vince knows just tossing their names on the card would push more WWE Network 1 month trial expirations.

Brock vs Show would have been a lot better if we didn't know Brock vs Taker wasn't going to be right around the corner, making it the most obvious glorified squash match possible.

I guess the real end point I'm looking towards, all of the rematches make good sense from a booking perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back