• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Regal as GM?

MoizH28

Pre-Show Stalwart
Okay so I was thinking and I read on the website that Regal is going to play an Al Snow type role on Tough Enough most likely. This could mean Regal will be around in WWE longer than we expect. I remember Regals run as Commissioner back in the day and found it quite enjoyable and think it could happen again heres why...

The anonymous GM appears to have a very tweener like role which could suit Regal quite well. Also he has screwed over Jericho when he was around many times and we know the history there.

The GM is a great spot for someone whose body just cant handle the WWE schedule and Regal has been around a long time.

Regal can also mentor the younger stars backstage and can draw a reaction from the crowd with his underrated mic skills.

So what do you guys think of this post?

I don't know if it would be something that goes ahead because of the repeat nature of having Regal as GM but I for one would be watching if he was in charge. Regal's run as commissioner of Raw was excellent and he really made the show exciting to watch. The way he was screwing the fans, screwing the faces & building tension between wrestlers & upper management made for good television.

On one hand, Regal is a very neutral choice for GM who has already proven he can play the role well. He won't get in the way or take up much promo time. He's somebody that could get the job done, present himself in a way that would get himself and others over, and most importantly...not make it about himself. On the other hand, it would be a huge disappointment for those that have been expecting a huge reveal for the position of Raw GM. Personally, I wouldn't mind terribly. But there is still a part of me that wants to hold out for a big name draw. I would love to mark out for somebody like Steve Austin, but you know he's not somebody that could stick around and play a permanent role.

Regal being part of Tough Enough is a great thing as it automatically gives the show some credibility. Regal has been wrestling since his teens and has tremendous knowledge that can be passed on.

As for being Raw GM, I don't think it's gonna happen. He's already served as the Raw GM several years back and part of what's been unique about the anonymous Raw GM angle has been the speculation about who will ultimately be revealed as the GM. It's been going on for about 7 months now and I think people are expecting someone big to have the role. They keep looking for HBK or Stone Cold or Jim Ross or even Michael Cole to be announced. When you compare William Regal with that, it just doesn't have the sizzle it needs.

It wouldn't bother me quite honestly because I like Regal and I'm not someone that constantly needs huge surprises or shocks and all that to be happy. But most people would view it as a fail and it's easy to understand that perspective.

I would love to see Regal back as GM because he was great when he GM'd RAW a few years back.

I don't, however, want to see him as the anonymous GM. It would be WAY to anticlimactic. I saw an idea on a different thread where Vince returns and fires the anonymous GM, so no one ever knows who they are. Perhaps if this went down Regal could take up the job.

i certainly hope he stays on in some capacity as his has been one of the most consistently entertaining characters for years.

Regal being part of Tough Enough is a great thing as it automatically gives the show some credibility. Regal has been wrestling since his teens and has tremendous knowledge that can be passed on.

As for being Raw GM, I don't think it's gonna happen. He's already served as the Raw GM several years back and part of what's been unique about the anonymous Raw GM angle has been the speculation about who will ultimately be revealed as the GM. It's been going on for about 7 months now and I think people are expecting someone big to have the role. They keep looking for HBK or Stone Cold or Jim Ross or even Michael Cole to be announced. When you compare William Regal with that, it just doesn't have the sizzle it needs.

It wouldn't bother me quite honestly because I like Regal and I'm not someone that constantly needs huge surprises or shocks and all that to be happy. But most people would view it as a fail and it's easy to understand that perspective.

I mostly agree with what Jack Hammer has to say. I think that the GM has to be a bigger name. No offense to Mr. Regal, but he would be kind of a let down for me as GM. They have been hyping this up for so long that when the mystery is announced it has to be a bombshell. Regal has never elevated over mid card status. The move would just not make sense.

This is one storyline that has me really interested since the beginning. I hope it isn't a disappointing result.

With that said, I can see this move taking place. Maybe the WWE had original ideas for a GM that fell through. Maybe someone they wanted was unable to make that commitment. If this is the case, then Regal could do a good job in the role.

As far as Tough Enough is concerned, Regal will be a great mentor. He is a skilled in ring worker and can teach proper technique, safety, and how to be entertaining. I could even see Regal getting a big mid card push after the season is over. The original tough enough really made Al Snow and Taz more likeable and relatable as people. After seeing Regal "the trainer", fans may want to really get behind him.

The problem with this would be a "been there, done that" sort of mindset that many people would take. Regal served as GM and was in the middle of a mega-push in 2008 when he was ceremoniously dismissed due to a Wellness Policy Violation. He was doing a brilliant job as a GM, but I think people are expecting a bigger name then William Regal. After 6-7 months of waiting and being toyed with by WWE, I think most people would be sorely disapointed if that name was William Regal.

If what your saying is true, the idea of Regal being on Tough Enough is a fantastic one indeed. Regal has been wrestling for over 25 years all over the world, and he would give the show the instant credibility that it needs. This was a perfect role for both Tazz and Al Snow as their careers were winding down and we got to see the "real" sides of both of them, which would be fun to see from Regal as well.

I personally wouldn't mind Regal whatsoever as the anonymous GM, but I think most fans would be severely disapointed. Regal hasn't been on TV enough over the course of this angle for fans to even find him relevant, which would create a massive disapointment. I personally think he would do a fantastic job and it would be nice to see him finish what he started back in '08, but Im also realistic that most people would feel let down after the large build that has been put in to this angle. People want to see a major star, or a HOF, and Regal sadly doesn't qualify as either.

Myself I would like to see Regal as GM,as the two times he has been GM, he has played the role very well

But as many people mentioned he could never be the anonamous GM as that should be someone with a bigger name.

So the only way I see it happening is say the GM reveals himself, and let's say it is Triple H. So HHH comes out and admits to everyone he has been the GM, but now that he is health again and ready to return to ring action he must step down from the GM spot. And then either the same week or the next they can just make Regal the GM Again.

I think Regal would be perfect in a GM role again once he retires, his arrogant stuck-up persona and style of talking makes him really good as an authority figure that you love to hate. He was superb back in the early 2000s as the Commissioner, and my god he would be an improvement on the anonymous GM!

However, as another poster has already stated, Regal hasnt been on TV much recently and probably wouldnt satisfy the fans, who are expecting a BIG name to be revealed as the GM. I would prefer it to be someone like Paul Heyman but if it was Regal I would be happy with that. He can talk, he can get heat and he can still step into the ring if required, so I think he would be a fine choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back