Recomend me a horror movie...

Cowboyfromhell

2 Time Co-Beach Volleyball Champion
It's that special time of year, the leaves are turning and falling, there are pumpkins on every porch and I feel the urge to watch horror movies non stop. So here is where I need help. I have seen most of the good ones, the classics and quite a few bad ones but I want to see something I haven't seen yet. I grew up with the 80's slasher movies so that is the style I enjoy most but please, recomend away.
I will give you guys a few that are lesser known that you horror fans may enjoy. The first is one just recently released called the Hills Run Red, I have a more detailed description here
http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=1440301#post1440301
The other is Hatchet, in the style of the 80's slasher pics, featuring Tony Todd, Robert Englan and Kane Hodder and Joel Moore (JP from Grandma's Boy).
Check those out, let me know what you think and please tell me some good flicks to watch.

Could you please be a bit more specific? There were two types of slasher films in the 80s: those with a comedic twist and those that were seriously grimy and depraved. So, are you looking for something like A Nightmare On Elm Street or Friday The 13th (the former type), or something like Maniac or Nightmares In A Damaged Brain (the latter type)?

Could you please be a bit more specific? There were two types of slasher films in the 80s: those with a comedic twist and those that were seriously grimy and depraved. So, are you looking for something like A Nightmare On Elm Street or Friday The 13th (the former type), or something like Maniac or Nightmares In A Damaged Brain (the latter type)?

I'd definitely recommend Maniac if you've never seen it Cowboy. One of the most disturbing "slasher" films I've ever seen, if you can rightfully call it that. Very similar to Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, which if you haven't seen (though I suspect you have), you should do so immediately.

If you're looking for some good cheesy 80s slashers, I've got a ton of recommendations, but you're a pretty big horror fan so I suspect you've probably seen quite a few of them. The Burning, The Prowler, Terror Train, Prom Night, My Bloody Valentine, Happy Birthday to Me, April Fools Day, these are all classic slices of 80s slasher cheese. I'd highly recommend both The Burning and The Prowler to you if you've never seen t hose two, The Prowler has special effects/make up by Tom Savini and he considers that film to be his best work ever. So do I.

If you're looking for something more disturbing, I'd suggest Martyrs. TDigs knows very well just how good of a film that is, it is a French film though. Still, very much worth watching.

Speaking of Martyrs, hey TDigs, what did you think of the ending to the film? I think that's what really capped the film off as being a modern classic in my opinion, that ending was just so strangely poetic.

I enjoy Japanese horor/shock/gore films, so I may not be too much of a help.

The Ringu (Zero & Raisen) series in Japanese is worthy of a watch, just to see how it was done originally. The same goes for Ju-On and Ju-On 2 (The Grudge here in the USA.)

Clive Barker's Midnight Meat Train is also a fun gory kind of flick. Check Fear.net and you may be able to watch it for free. (If you need a LEGAL means of searching for movies that are listed on Hulu or Youtube or whatever, PM me.)

I actually enjoy both, I like to mix it up some. I have never seen Maniac or Nightmares so I will have to seek them out. Thanks TDigs

I'd definitely recommend Maniac if you've never seen it Cowboy. One of the most disturbing "slasher" films I've ever seen, if you can rightfully call it that. Very similar to Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, which if you haven't seen (though I suspect you have), you should do so immediately.

If you're looking for some good cheesy 80s slashers, I've got a ton of recommendations, but you're a pretty big horror fan so I suspect you've probably seen quite a few of them. The Burning, The Prowler, Terror Train, Prom Night, My Bloody Valentine, Happy Birthday to Me, April Fools Day, these are all classic slices of 80s slasher cheese. I'd highly recommend both The Burning and The Prowler to you if you've never seen t hose two, The Prowler has special effects/make up by Tom Savini and he considers that film to be his best work ever. So do I.

If you're looking for something more disturbing, I'd suggest Martyrs. TDigs knows very well just how good of a film that is, it is a French film though. Still, very much worth watching.

Yes, I have seen Henry, it is one of my favorites, very disturbing largely because Henry Lee Lucas is a very disturbing soul. I have not seen Prowler but I am a big Saviani fan so I will have to look for this one as well.

The Ringu (Zero & Raisen) series in Japanese is worthy of a watch, just to see how it was done originally. The same goes for Ju-On and Ju-On 2 (The Grudge here in the USA.)

Clive Barker's Midnight Meat Train is also a fun gory kind of flick. Check Fear.net and you may be able to watch it for free. (If you need a LEGAL means of searching for movies that are listed on Hulu or Youtube or whatever, PM me.)

I'll watch just about anything and I have wanted to watch the original Japanese versions of these films, just to compare and contrast. I saw the American versions and they were ok but not my favorite.
I am a Clive Barker fan and have Midnight Meat Train on my list of to see movies.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Speaking of Martyrs, hey TDigs, what did you think of the ending to the film? I think that's what really capped the film off as being a modern classic in my opinion, that ending was just so strangely poetic.

Honestly, I didn't get the ending and its relation to the film's title until I went on imdb. I was so incensed at the injustice of the last third or so of the film that I really wasn't comprehending much beyond the main character's brutal beatings. But, yeah, when I watched it again after reading what others said about it, I thought the ending was perfect.

I'm a big fan of J-Horror as well, and I'd also recommend Ju-On. I would recommend Ringu, but if you haven't already seen it or the American remake, it really won't have the same effect on you as the first viewing would. Ju-On (The Grudge) is wonderful though, compared to the absolutely abysmal American remake it's a masterpiece. Some of the things in that film are truly frightening.

Yes, I have seen Henry, it is one of my favorites, very disturbing largely because Henry Lee Lucas is a very disturbing soul. I have not seen Prowler but I am a big Saviani fan so I will have to look for this one as well.

I already know that you're going to love The Prowler, classic slasher movie. Definitely check out Maniac if you really liked Henry, Maniac is that same kind of incredibly bleak and disturbing look at a murderer. Very bizarre and creepy film.

Honestly, I didn't get the ending and its relation to the film's title until I went on imdb. I was so incensed at the injustice of the last third or so of the film that I really wasn't comprehending much beyond the main character's brutal beatings. But, yeah, when I watched it again after reading what others said about it, I thought the ending was perfect.

Ha, never would I have pictured TDigs to be the un-jaded one! The ending really didn't bother me the first time I saw it, because usually when the "bad guy" wins so to say, I have no problem with it. Usually that is (oh how I wish I could remember the name of this awful slasher film set at college where the main character just abruptly dies at the end of the film and the credits roll like nothing happened.)

I loved the ending to Martyrs though from the first viewing. I mean, it's just downright beautiful in a grotesque and philosophical kind of way..

Well if you liked The Hills Run Red and Hatchet we probably don't have the same taste but I'll recommend a few newer releases that I enjoyed anyway.

Offspring and Baby Blues actually find a way to be disturbing in this day and age.

Deadgirl is one of the most original Horror flicks to come out in quite some time.

Return to Sleepaway Camp continues to make the series one of the all-time best in Horror.

Otis is an awesome Horror-Comedy with a great cast.

Trick 'r Treat is campy goodness.

I remember a really great movie from the 90s that became a cult classic, but it's not very well known where I live. Addicted to Murder was it's name. It's about a grown man who was molested when he was young, becoming distant from relations to women, so he decides to kill 'em. He goes through the usual serial killer process until he meets one woman who hides a special secret that I would rather not spoil. (No, she is not a trap.)

The Silence of The Lambs.

This is a great movie all in all. I don't know if this is more of a thriller or a horror but dam, it scared me when I first seen Hannibal Lector. Anthony Hawkins plays this role better than any other movie villain in history in my opinion. There is a good compelling story, great acting and lot's of twists and turns.This is definitely a must see not only for fans or horror, but of any genre.

Great movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back