• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reading Other RP's

Con T.

Yaz ain't enough, I need Fluttershy
Three sweet and simple questions (I can't afford much else,
My battery life is at nil, nearly)

1. How often do you read other poster's RPs, if at all?

2. What do you get out of reading them?

3. If you don't read them, why?

1) I try to read everybody's RP, all the time.
2) If one doesn't read them, one can't complain about pushes and burials and also not reading them is like watching WM without any of the previous Raws, Smackdowns or promo's.
3) If it's a busy week or when everybody posts on the same day, it gets tiring. There's only one guy in the fed whose RP's I usually don't read because they're boring as shit.

2) If one doesn't read them, one can't complain about pushes and burials and also not reading them is like watching WM without any of the previous Raws, Smackdowns or promo's.

See, that's about how I feel with RPs. Don't get me wrong, I know I understand that folk are busy, but at the very least, I know when there's someone I wanna feud, I'll at least their RPs and segments.

When I found out the Sandy feud, I reached out to Doc to find out about the Kurtesy-verse, and also read his RP's. I bet you could be a good rp'er (in fact, I know some), but I just couldn't do it

Like many instalments of Raw and SmackDown, not all promos are necessary reading.

Unless I was doing feedback, almost never. Hell, I never used to read the shows. I would do a crtl-f search for mentions of my character to see what was happening and what people were saying about me, but I had little to no interest in what other people had to say for a number of reasons.

For one, it never seemed particularly relevant to me; when running Dragon I was extremely forthcoming about the fact that I didn't care about match results or what anyone thought of my writing and was penning stuff entirely for my own smug sense of self satisfaction - so what the competition was doing was never a big deal. Additionally, much of what got produced in the fed was very badly written, and more importantly, was extremely generic. I know what a by the numbers wrestling interview sounds like, and when a great many roleplays consisted of the same few templates with a 'fill in name here' level of variation - I never felt compelled to go looking for the ones that might actually be interesting.

Also, there's simply too much of it. Everyone paints things is lurid bright colours, and reading more than a few thousand words almost never failed to leave me wanting to slit my wrists or read something sensible - whichever was closer. It'd take a massive investment over several days for me to read everything that gets produced, and I can't imagine I'd feel sufficiently rewarded at the end of it to justify the experience.

That being said, there were a couple of exceptions. If I was working with someone who had proven that they could write then I'd probably read their stuff - when the content is quality then you don't really need to look for a reason to read it. I only really recall being interested in what Barbosa and Showtime had to say, though I took a gander and Kermit's offerings as long as they were sufficiently 'me' focused.

So yeah...

1) Almost never.
2) Very little if the writer is talented, nothing if they aren't.
3) Because it seldom entertaining or educational and even back in the day I didn't have that quantity of time on my hands.

3) If it's a busy week or when everybody posts on the same day, it gets tiring. There's only one guy in the fed whose RP's I usually don't read because they're boring as shit.

You dont read my rp's :(

You can't just throw something like that out there and not give a name. It's even more interesting if it's someone in the main event.

Find'er Woo'er Ryder said:
You don't read my rp's
I love Angel, but when Ronney dies, I'm sending Grizzly over to dance on his grave...

Jon Jones' Jobber said:
You can't just throw something like that out there
You bet your ass I am! People have different tastes and I can respect that.

I read some RP's but not much. The usual suspects being Angel, Bob, Beard, Warren, SaboSax, Bowen, Izzy and of course Dr.Zeus.

Other than that I try to read TSA, Callahan and at times Celeste. Before Ty left I never missed an El Calfia RP either.

I never read anyone's RPs.

Me neither - I just wait until someone else has voted and I copy/paste their votes. Sometimes I like to mix it up a little and randomise a couple of the votes so it looks like I don't just copy/paste every week.

It's arduous work.

Coins, dice - anything that results in equal chance when used. That's been the new policy for a while now.

Alhazred, Barbosa, SHIT, and Zeus. I'll read whatever those guys are writing.

There are some characters in this Fed I really hope I never get put up against because I find their RP's so boring I'd never be able to read any of them and get a solid understanding of who I'm facing.

Unless I was doing feedback, almost never. Hell, I never used to read the shows. I would do a crtl-f search for mentions of my character to see what was happening and what people were saying about me, but I had little to no interest in what other people had to say for a number of reasons.

For one, it never seemed particularly relevant to me; when running Dragon I was extremely forthcoming about the fact that I didn't care about match results or what anyone thought of my writing and was penning stuff entirely for my own smug sense of self satisfaction - so what the competition was doing was never a big deal. Additionally, much of what got produced in the fed was very badly written, and more importantly, was extremely generic. I know what a by the numbers wrestling interview sounds like, and when a great many roleplays consisted of the same few templates with a 'fill in name here' level of variation - I never felt compelled to go looking for the ones that might actually be interesting.

Also, there's simply too much of it. Everyone paints things is lurid bright colours, and reading more than a few thousand words almost never failed to leave me wanting to slit my wrists or read something sensible - whichever was closer. It'd take a massive investment over several days for me to read everything that gets produced, and I can't imagine I'd feel sufficiently rewarded at the end of it to justify the experience.

That being said, there were a couple of exceptions. If I was working with someone who had proven that they could write then I'd probably read their stuff - when the content is quality then you don't really need to look for a reason to read it. I only really recall being interested in what Barbosa and Showtime had to say, though I took a gander and Kermit's offerings as long as they were sufficiently 'me' focused.

So yeah...

1) Almost never.
2) Very little if the writer is talented, nothing if they aren't.
3) Because it seldom entertaining or educational and even back in the day I didn't have that quantity of time on my hands.

Hey look everyone, Gelgarin cares so little that he decided to write several hundred words about it. Though truthfully, this is one of his shorter posts I've seen outside of the other spam zones.

Harthan said:
The next time we do roulette rounds, we should
extend the concept even further to totally
random winners.
It'll be awesome.
How long has this been going on?

Well, no, this isn't some call out; it's a legitimate question.

I find writing much more arduous (and tedious) than writing, at least in some circumstances. I can understand the reverse train of thought, but it isn't me.

Make no mistake, I don't read everyone, and there's plenty of guys in the fed I never want to feud with. But the ones I find interesting I'll read.

The youth from the state of the beaver,
was destined as overachiever.
His rhymes got him pushes,
his haiku's shamed douches
I want to see Zeus use a cleaver.

1: I read RPs that have the most buzz. I actually check out the feedback thread to see whose gotten the best compliments and such. I tend to check those out to see what's going on.

2: Entertainment mostly. It's hard to adjust to a lot of the characters floating around here. I'm used to more grounded characters.

3: Time mostly. Another would just be general disinterest in the character. Again for reasons stated above, and this is no offense to anyone I general, but a character like Krypto. While everyone seems to generally like that character, I personally can't handle it. It's entertaining yes, and that's fine, but inside of a wrestling federation that's supposed to mirror it's real life counterpart, it'll take a lot for me to take it seriously.

I tend to not read my opponents RPs against me until the show is posted. And sometimes, not at all. That's not saying I will never read their RPs. I just won't read the one against me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back