• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ranking The Current Championships in WWE

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
So we have 8 championships currently in the company. 5 for the main roster and 3 for NXT. The task for discussion in this topic is exactly what it sounds like. Rank them from the most prestigious and important to the least prestigious. You may only do the 5 main roster titles if you wish, since I know there may be some who do not watch NXT. I'll go first.

1. WWE World Heavyweight Championship
This is obvious. Ever since the unification of the WWE Championship and the big gold World Heavyweight Championship at TLC 2013, this has been unquestionably THE title. The top guys compete for it and it nearly always gets the main event. Within kayfabe it is the most prestigious prize in the world and every wrestler's dream is to win this belt.

2. WWE United States Championship
What John Cena's Open Challenges did for this belt were unprecedented. Amazing matches were held for this belt when Cena put it up for grabs. It felt like a huge deal again for the first time in YEARS. The current storyline with Del Rio made it slip down a little in prestige, but I'm still giving it a chance. It's still far above the other main roster titles.

3. NXT Championship
The top prize of the developmental brand. I have yet to see an NXT Championship match that did not amaze me. Every single Takeover event with the exception of one (Respect) had a fantastic NXT Championship match on the card. While it is not a main roster title, this championship has earned its spot in this ranking. Neville VS Tyson, Zayn VS Neville, Zayn VS Owens, Balor VS Owens, I could go on! The title is very much a big deal.

4. NXT Women's Championship
Yes, you read that correctly. While people constantly mock the main roster female title, this title is right behind the mens' top title of NXT. Much like the NXT Championship.... this title has seen many of the best divas matches showcasing quality not seen since Trish and Lita's departure. Charlotte VS Natalya, Emma VS Paige, Sasha VS Becky, The Iron Man match, and many more. Another belt that is indeed a very big deal.

5. WWE Tag Team Championship
The division had been turning into a joke on the main roster, but it is slowly recovering. New Day have exceeded all expectations as champions and the titles finally have begun to feel like more than just giant pennies given to random "teams". I hope the division continues to improve and mean something again.

6. NXT Tag Team Championship
These titles have not quite gotten the treatment that the NXT Championship and Women's Championship have down in the developmental brand. Within kayfabe the team holding it is supposed to be the very best. So why then have Enzo and Cass still not won them? WWE missed out on a massive opportunity by not having Enzo and Cass win the titles at NXT Brooklyn. I won't even start on The Vaudevillains. Could be worse though.... These titles still hold more importance than the two that remain in the list....

7. WWE Intercontinental Championship
This title was nearing the level of being worthless. Bryan's win would have helped it tremendously had he not gotten injured. Other than Bryan's win, the only truly memorable moment this belt has seen was when Cody Rhodes brought back the classic design 4 years ago. That's 4 YEARS of unimportant feuds, matches, reigns. Then when the two world titles got unified WWE missed out on the perfect time to make this belt into the true #2 belt and give it the same treatment that the big gold belt had been getting, showcasing it as a prize for the upper midcarders who are not going after the top belt. Owens winning it was a huge step in the right direction and is the main reason this belt is not dead last. With the right opponents and feuds, Owens can turn this belt around for the better.

8. WWE Divas Championship
Yeah, this is dead last. The butterfly is one step removed from being completely useless at this point. Charlotte as Divas Champion is a welcome relief from the bogus undeserved Nikki reign. WWE were moving in the right direction for a long time with Kaitlyn, AJ, and Paige before they undid all of that momentum with Nikki's reign. Let Charlotte have a lengthy dominant reign against the girls who can work a great match with her like Sasha, Becky, Natalya, and Paige. Then repeat when Sasha or Becky dethrone her. The belt still has a chance to mean something if they keep The Bellas as far away from it as possible.

So now it is your turn. How would you rank the titles from the most important to the least important? Be sure to explain why you ranked them the way you did.

Feel free to also discuss other posters' rankings if you agree or disagree but make sure to remain within the rules. You must be on-topic and do NOT spam. Also, you can only rank titles currently in use by the WWE so no bringing back the Cruiserweight or WWE Women's Championship for instance.

Discuss! :)

The way I rank the Championship Titles never changes. To me, it’s almost like saying the MVP Trophy of any league is ranked higher than the Championship Trophy. To me the rankings of the Championship Titles were, are, and always will be like this.

WWE World Heavyweight Championship Title
Intercontinental Championship Title
United States Championship Title
WWE World Tag Team Championship Title
Divas Championship Title
NXT Championship Title
NXT Tag Team Championship Title
NXT Women’s Championship Title

The reasoning behind my list is pretty straight forward. You have your major main Championship Title, followed my your secondary Championship Title, then your tertiary Championship Title, then your Tag Team Championship Title, then your Women’s Championship Title. I do sometimes rank the Tag Team Championship Title above the secondary Championship Title, but that’s neither here nor there.

After the major Championships, then you go into your minor Championships, or as I like to call it today, the Championship Titles in NXT. It’s called NXT. I believe that’s short for NEXT. I don’t really care about everyone’s hype over it. It’s WWE’s developmental program. It’s WWE’s own version of the Independents. It’s a bunch of Independent Stars learning the WWE style. I will never consider an NCAA Championship Title in any sport to be greater than the Vince Lombardi Trophy, or the Stanley Cup, or the Larry O'Brien trophy, or the Commissioner’s Trophy. I will never consider a Championship in NXT to be greater than a Championship in the WWE.

1. WWE World Heavyweight Title:
For obvious reasons.

2. US Title:
Without a doubt the second most prestigious title right now thanks to John Cena. Going downhill fast with Del Rio though. The Open Challenge made the US strap seem like a hot commodity for months, even moreso than the WWE title at times. When was the last time the US title was defended in the main event before Cena/Rollins? I can't remember.

3. Tag Team Titles:
I'll put this slightly ahead of the IC belt as the tag titles have gotten some great exposure since the New Day broke out and The Dudley's returned. The return of the Uso's should keep the momentum going for a while. The division may lack depth at the current moment, but the tag title matches in the past few months have generally been well received by the fans.

4. Intercontinental Title:
I just can't find it in me to rank any NXT belts ahead of the IC title. Despite it's shoddy booking, it's still a big deal to win the IC title and I'm digging Kevin Owens' reign. Right now though it means the least on the main roster. Ryback barely defended it and I don't think Owens even has an opponent right now. Seems like an afterthought.

5. NXT Women's Title:
Yup, ahead of the men's. While the NXT Championship has featured some great strorylines and matches, the NXT Women's title has been the focus of the show for a while now. Whether it be Sasha and Charlotte putting on a clinic, Sasha and Becky receiving a standing O, or Sasha and Bailey main eventing a PPV, the women's title has always held a ton of prestige in NXT. I would argue that the biggest star in NXT right now IS Bailey. Just seems like the NXT World title has been taking a back seat lately.

6. NXT Championship
It pains me to rank this so low but again, it is a developmental title. I think this title really started to mean something once Zayn beat Neville for it and Owens debuted. Since than NXT has exploded and the champion has been exceptionally well-treated by management since. Can't really find any fault in this. The women of NXT have done unprecedented things with their title. Can't really say the same for the men.

7. Diva's Title:
People don't really care about the title no matter who's holding it. It's gotten a lot better over the years but the whole division is still booked horribly.

8. NXT Tag Titles

Ranking anything over a main roster title doesn't make any sense. Only after the main roster titles should NXT titles show up. People are hoisting NXT pretty high these days. When in reality...they are not on the MAIN roster. So how can the NXT Championship be more important than the main roster WWE Tag Team Championship when the champion isn't even on Superstars or Main Event type shows yet ? It's insulting to The New Day.

There's no need to rank the NXT titles, but the main roster titles is worth ranking, even though very few of them carry much prestige nowadays.

WWE Championship - The main title in WWE, it will always be the most prestigious no matter how they book the champion.

US. Championship - John Cena made this title mean something again, being the biggest name in the company holding this title really helped. He also defended the title weekly which is something they don't do anymore. Now Alberto Del Rio might kill everything Cena did with it.

Intercontinental Title - The legendary history this title has carry's prestige, always will.. Owens and Ryback may not be doing a lot with the title, but we can hope that changes eventually.

Divas Championship - I fully expect this to be below the Tag Titles very soon if Charlotte keeps it much longer or Sasha wins it.. Nikki made this title mean something, not because she held it for so long but it was all people can talk about. It was the most talked about title in WWE at one point simply because she was going to break that record. If the fans didn't go off constantly about WWE being 'spiteful' over nothing, Nikki would have been a failure as a champion. Thanks to you fans though she did very well, she actually made people care about the title for once.

Tag Team Championship - It's been a very long time since these titles meant anything, not many great tag teams on the main roster right now that can challenge New Day for the titles.

Ranking anything over a main roster title doesn't make any sense. Only after the main roster titles should NXT titles show up. People are hoisting NXT pretty high these days. When in reality...they are not on the MAIN roster. So how can the NXT Championship be more important than the main roster WWE Tag Team Championship when the champion isn't even on Superstars or Main Event type shows yet ? It's insulting to The New Day.

So you would rank the WWE Divas Championship above the NXT Championship?

It's about the quality of the matches and the believability of how important winning the belt is to the wrestlers. The NXT Championship and the NXT Women's Championship are portrayed as a very big deal in promos, then this degree of prestige is backed up by how great the matches are. When there is an upcoming title match in NXT for male wrestlers OR divas, you KNOW it's going to be huge. When was the last time you could say the same thing about the Intercontinental Championship? The Intercontinental Championship has had a grand total of one memorable moment in the past 4 years. The Divas Championship was held by someone who can't wrestle for nearly a calendar year. The giant pennies for several years got thrown on random "teams" before The New Day broke out. So, yes, two of NXT's titles are a bigger deal right now than multiple main roster titles. That's not an insult to The New Day, Charlotte, or Kevin Owens. Quite the contrary. The current champions other than Del Rio have all helped their titles restore an amount of lost prestige and even in Del Rio's defense he had a nearly impossible act to follow with Cena's Open Challenges.

1. WWE World Heavyweight Championship
2. nXt Women's Championship
3. WWE US Championship
4. nXt Championship
5. WWE Tag Team Championship
6. WWE Intercontinental Championship
7. nXt Tag Team Championship
8. WWE Divas Championship

Although with poor initial booking, Yet Seth Rollins has elevated WWE World Heavyweight Championship and this ofcourse remains the most prestigious of all....
Second is nXt Women's Championship.... Bayley and Sasha Banks have elevated it a lot with their quality matches......
Third is WWE US Championship..... All due to elevation by John Cena with his US Title Open Challenges.... It would have second if Alberto Del Rio would not be having matches against R-Truth.....
Fourth is nXt Championship...... Kevin Owens and Finn Balor have provided it the elevation... and the Balor-Joe feud is gonna add more steam to it....
Fifth is WWE Tag Team Championship..... Because "The New Day Rocks" and so does their titles....
Sixth is WWE Intercontinental Championship
.... Kevin Owens is bringing back the prestige of it...
Seventh is nXt Tag Team Championship.... Gone down because of The Vaudevillains.... Maybe Wilder-Dawson can bring back the prestige...
Eighth is WWE Divas Championship.... First Nikki Bella & Now Charlotte have brought nothing to its prestige

my order is pretty same as all others.
1. Wwe title. Bcoz it is world top wrestling title. Each and every wrestler dream for that title.
2. Us title. Cena made this title to come up to second place. Even his reign the title became more important than wwe title. But in delrio hands its goes down below divas title.
3. Nxt championship. Right now it is first dream for newcomer.
4. Nxt womens championship more famous than nxt championship. It create buzz all over world bcoz of sasha. But now looking at nxt roster i dont think they do the same magic
5. Wwe tag team title. New day is entertaining team. But from the point of wrestling i am not satisfied.
6. Wwe divas championship. Nikki makes history and divas revolution started. Future of this title looks bright.
7. Last but not least ic and nxt tag title. I dont see anything for last 6 months.

Well I'm not going to draw in the NXT titles in this context because, being a NXT Champion doesn't seem to be a great deal when one move to the Main Roster. Bo Dallas has been jobbed out, Big E was irrelevant till he joined Xavier Woods and Kofi. Anyhow, it isn't the thread to talk about it. I'll just give my verdict.

1) WWE World Heavyweight Championship

Obviously, it is the biggest one in the Industry at the moment. No banters, it will never lose it's prestige. Considering the hands which held that title lately tell the whole story. It didn't go beyond anyone than Brock Lesnar, John Cena and Seth Rollins in the past one and a half years. Brock Lesnar elevated it to a level that it's almost impossible for any other title can reach that spot.

On the contrary, with the Departure of John Cena and the commencement of the Survivor Series Tournament, the other titles had lost it's worth. But I have tried really hard to summarize that.

2) Tag Team Championship

If it were a month back, easily the United States Championship would've held this spot. But The New Day made an compelling effort to elevate this title. With their series of matches against the Legendary Dudley Boyz, they had elevated the rank of this title. The Elimination Chamber match for the Tag Titles and the Brass Ring Club did play their part in this. Congrats to everyone in the tag division for achieving this feat.

3) Intercontinental Championship

The inevitable feud which didn't happen unfortunately pushed the Prestigious title behind the rankings. Yes, Kevin F**king Owens vs Dean F**king Ambrose would've pushed this title all the way up to the top. It could've happened as Seth Rollins, John Cena, Randy Orton amongst the many other are off the World Title scene. But WWE had to take drastic measures to keep the World Title ahead by scrapping this feud for the Survivor Series tournament, had pushed it down. But it isn't too long till IC title will become Prestigious again. Bring back Chris Jericho for his 10th Reign and you'll never know what perks you'll obtain.

4) United States Championship

It's not Alberto Del Rio or his bizarre Mex-American gimmick that led to this downfall, but the lack of competition for him is the formidable reason why this title had lost all his hopes. John Cena and Seth Rollins did a brilliant job in elevating the status of this title but it has doomed now. But just like the IC title, it is inevitable that it'll become relevant again once Cena returns and feuds for it.

5) Diva's Championship

I'm not showering the hatred for Charlotte but she's the reason why it had doomed for the moment. Paige doesn't seem to have any serious compasse on this title. Lack of creative work and awful storylines added more woes.

So that's it mateys, this is my ranking. Feel free to go against it or beside with me.

Cheers!!

1 - WWE Heavyweight Championship

2 - WWE U.S Championship

3 - WWE Intercontinental Championship

4 - WWE Tag Team Championship

5 - NXT Heavyweight Championship

6 - WWE Diva's Championship

7 - NXT Woman's Championship

8 - NXT Tag Team Championship

I said earlier that NXT should not be ranked higher than WWE Main Roster belts, even if some of the matches are better. I made one exception with the Diva's title. That title keeps dropping and dropping in importance. Soon they'll just nix the damn thing because nobody will care anymore.

First and foremost there is not a single man or woman on the entire NXT Roster that would rather hold an NXT Championship instead of even the slightest of reigns as a Main Roster Champion. They would throw that NXT Title in the nearest dumpster for just a single shot at not only being on the Main Roster but the notoriety that comes along with a Main Roster Championship reign makes every Title on the Main Roster vastly more significant then any Title in NXT IMO. People must remember that no matter how well structured NXT is it is still WWE's training ground.

But with that being said here's My rankings...

1. The WWE World Heavyweight Championship: IMO there is no Championship in the World that hold more prestige, the most recognizable Championship in wrestling.

2. The Intercontinental Championship: Kevin Owens is "The Man" and He is nothing short of a spectacular performer. He is the perfect Champion at what I believe is the perfect time right now, i'm hoping The WWE really turns Him loose and gives Him a very competitive and lengthy reign to solidify not only His but The Championships overall prestige.

3. The United States Championship: John Cena and Rusev helped drag this Title out of obscurity, it was thought of as a trinket instead of a major accomplishment but now it is very much sought after and it's prestige in many minds rivals that of The International Championship.

4. The Tag Team Championships: The New Day has been great heel Champions and they have elevated the Titles Slightly but IMO to take The Division to the next level The WWE needs to focus on creating several viable contenders to make The Division continuously entertaining. Like in 1999 to 2002.

5. The Diva's Championship: Yes I know many will disagree but IMO the average/casual wrestling fan has more knowledge of AJ Lee, Paige, Nikki Bella and now Charlotte then any of the past NXT Champions with the notable exception of Kevin Owens who debuted as NXT Champion. That in itself unfortunately makes The Diva's Championship more prestigious IMO.

6. NXT Championship: This Championship pretty much means that You will be promoted to The Main Roster. Every past Champion with the exception of Sami Zayn has become a permanent fixture on The Main Roster, so IMO that makes this The most important Title in NXT byfar.

7. NXT Women's Championship: Although admittedly this is byfar the more prestigious Women's Championship, not one person can tell Me that Bayley wouldn't rather be The WWE Diva's Champion. Great matches, glad they got to Main Event a major special they did deserve it but IMO it is still a far cry from being the top prize for Women in wrestling unfortunately.

8. NXT Tag Team Championships: Again admittedly I truly believe NXT has a more competitive Tag Division but the NXT Championships still vastly pale in comparisonto it's WWE counterpart in prestige and notoriety. First and foremost winning The Title dosen't necessarily translate to a Main Roster call up which unfortunately makes them the least important Championships to gain in the WWE IMO.

And there are My rankings. In closing I would like to add that no matter how "important" a show presents it's Championships and/or Champion at the end of the day IMO NO show can really compete with the monopoly The WWE has on wrestling. No one can seriously tell Me that more people saw The Owens/Zayn feud for The NXT Championship over The Cena/Owens feud for The US Championship and with that being said I have no choice but to rank The WWE Titles higher even if it is just by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back