• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Random & Pointless Thoughts...A Waste Of Your Time

The Brain

King Of The Ring
We all know you’re not supposed to feed a Mogwai after midnight, but when is it safe to feed them again? At what point does after midnight become before midnight? This is crucial information for Mogwai owners to have.

Why do people use DVR as a verb? They say things like “I’m DVRing Raw tonight.” Wouldn’t it make more sense to just say you’re recording Raw? No one ever used to say I’m VCRing Raw tonight.

Why do people act as though their cell phone is the most precious thing in their world? I’ve seen people freak out because their phone isn’t working for ten minutes. They just can’t stand the thought of someone not being able to reach them every second of the day. God forbid you can’t get on Facebook to see what that kid you rode the bus with in junior high had for lunch today. I think a lot of people would be more upset about breaking their phone than totaling their car.

Donkey Kong Country 2 for SNES might be the best video game ever. However, I feel the Cat O’ 9 Tails character is a little out of place. I mean you’re running through the swamp encountering wasps, crocodiles, and other swamp like enemies when all of a sudden you come across this spastic cat spinning out of control. No disrespect intended toward Cat O’ 9 Tails but I think he would be a better fit in another game.

Please feel free to comment on any of these pressing issues. I will try to keep you enlightened with other ongoings in my head but I will likely have forgotten about this thread by next week and it will be buried in the archives in no time.

Donkey Kong Country 2 for SNES might be the best video game ever. However, I feel the Cat O’ 9 Tails character is a little out of place. I mean you’re running through the swamp encountering wasps, crocodiles, and other swamp like enemies when all of a sudden you come across this spastic cat spinning out of control. No disrespect intended toward Cat O’ 9 Tails but I think he would be a better fit in another game.

No more random than a porcupine enemy being found in a beehive level. I always found that to be more out of place than the Cat O' 9 Tails enemy. Amazing game though. Easily the best of its trilogy.

No more random than a porcupine enemy being found in a beehive level. I always found that to be more out of place than the Cat O' 9 Tails enemy. Amazing game though. Easily the best of its trilogy.

Fair point but I think the porcupine fits into the game a little better. Maybe not the beehive level specifically, but the game in general. Cat O' 9 Tails seems like he would fit into a Mario game better than a Donkey Kong game. It's starting to feel like 1996 in here. I'm going to have to bust this game out soon.

We all know you’re not supposed to feed a Mogwai after midnight, but when is it safe to feed them again? At what point does after midnight become before midnight? This is crucial information for Mogwai owners to have.

I've asked this same question in regards to wearing white after labor day. They always say the end date for wearing white, but never the start date.

Why do people use DVR as a verb? They say things like “I’m DVRing Raw tonight.” Wouldn’t it make more sense to just say you’re recording Raw? No one ever used to say I’m VCRing Raw tonight.

Sometimes new words need to be created when there are rapid technological advances. I'm sure there were people who had the same concern about the verb, "google."

Here's a funny joke about the googling.

[YOUTUBE]ZKEw7JNVcnw[/YOUTUBE]

Why do people act as though their cell phone is the most precious thing in their world? I’ve seen people freak out because their phone isn’t working for ten minutes. They just can’t stand the thought of someone not being able to reach them every second of the day. God forbid you can’t get on Facebook to see what that kid you rode the bus with in junior high had for lunch today. I think a lot of people would be more upset about breaking their phone than totaling their car.

Well, when you pay a hundred (or two, or three if you're really nuts) dollars for a piece of technology that is touted as basically being a super computer that fits in your hand, and then it doesn't work, I think people have a reasonable right to be upset. But there are more important things, yes.

Have you ever played Skyrim or the Mass Effect Trilogy? Those games are pretty great.

As far as SNES games go, though... Chrono Trigger. End of conversation.

Sometimes new words need to be created when there are rapid technological advances. I'm sure there were people who had the same concern about the verb, "google."

Googling sounds much more natural than DVRing. I suppose that's only because I'm used to it by now. DVRing just sounds awkward to me. When you use your DVR you're doing the same thing you always did with your VCR. Recording. You're just using a different machine.

Here's a funny joke about the googling.

[YOUTUBE]ZKEw7JNVcnw[/YOUTUBE]

That is lol worthy. I've never seen that show. I've heard some say they love it and some absolutely hate it. What's your take?

Well, when you pay a hundred (or two, or three if you're really nuts) dollars for a piece of technology that is touted as basically being a super computer that fits in your hand, and then it doesn't work, I think people have a reasonable right to be upset. But there are more important things, yes.

It's reasonable to be upset when your expensive device is not working properly, especially when you continue to pay for service after paying for the device. My problem is you can just tell they're upset, almost to the point of paranoia, because they're so worried about what they might be missing when in reality they're not missing anything at all. They think the most juicy piece of gossip in the history of the world is going to take place during the few minutes they're without service and they will be shunned from the social networking community for not being able to instantly comment on it.

Have you ever played Skyrim or the Mass Effect Trilogy? Those games are pretty great.

As far as SNES games go, though... Chrono Trigger. End of conversation.

I'm actually not much of a gamer and have never heard of those games. When I was a kid I had a bunch of Atari games, maybe 30 NES games (about half being sports games), and maybe 10 SNES games. It seemed like a lot to me and always kept me entertained, but I think that was probably nothing compared to most hear.

Only thing that scares me about my phone is the prospect of me losing it, someone else unlocking it, that person taking pictures of their junk, their junk looking like my junk, and using my phone to send pictures of their junk to children while attempting to solicit pictures of kiddy junk in return.

Crippling fear, this.

That is lol worthy. I've never seen that show. I've heard some say they love it and some absolutely hate it. What's your take?

It's the best American comedy ever. I'd say best comedy period, but hipsters and British people seem to be fond of English television.

It's reasonable to be upset when your expensive device is not working properly, especially when you continue to pay for service after paying for the device. My problem is you can just tell they're upset, almost to the point of paranoia, because they're so worried about what they might be missing when in reality they're not missing anything at all. They think the most juicy piece of gossip in the history of the world is going to take place during the few minutes they're without service and they will be shunned from the social networking community for not being able to instantly comment on it.

I've heard about those people. I'm pretty sure the 21st century will take more lives due to stress than any other century, letting us cool people rule the world.

I'm actually not much of a gamer and have never heard of those games. When I was a kid I had a bunch of Atari games, maybe 30 NES games (about half being sports games), and maybe 10 SNES games. It seemed like a lot to me and always kept me entertained, but I think that was probably nothing compared to most hear.

I forget that you're super duper old, like 30-someting. You're missing out, games are crazy good now.

Only thing that scares me about my phone is the prospect of me losing it, someone else unlocking it, that person taking pictures of their junk, their junk looking like my junk, and using my phone to send pictures of their junk to children while attempting to solicit pictures of kiddy junk in return.

Crippling fear, this.

That is a very valid concerne. That does it. You've just given me the push I needed to get that Fandango sihouette tattooed on my junk. I've been kind of wanting to do it anyway but now I see the value in being able to easily identify my junk in case such a thing were to happen to me.

"Your honor I give you exhibit A." Chachalaca

It's the best American comedy ever. I'd say best comedy period, but hipsters and British people seem to be fond of English television.

Sounds like I need to give it a shot.

I forget that you're super duper old, like 30-someting. You're missing out, games are crazy good now.

It's true. Now I know how my dad felt trying to play Super Mario Brothers. I'm clueless when it comes to new games. Although Suepr Mario Brothers Wii was pretty awesome. Throwback.

Fair point but I think the porcupine fits into the game a little better. Maybe not the beehive level specifically, but the game in general. Cat O' 9 Tails seems like he would fit into a Mario game better than a Donkey Kong game. It's starting to feel like 1996 in here. I'm going to have to bust this game out soon.

Way ahead of you. I'm feeling nostalgic and looking at some gameplay footage. Single greatest moment of the game for me was when I finally defeated this guy:

[YOUTUBE]5ulLTVpbtLc[/YOUTUBE]

Way ahead of you. I'm feeling nostalgic and looking at some gameplay footage. Single greatest moment of the game for me was when I finally defeated this guy:

[YOUTUBE]5ulLTVpbtLc[/YOUTUBE]

Man that music takes me back. And yeah, that big bee was a pain in the ass.

Man that music takes me back. And yeah, that big bee was a pain in the ass.

Absolutely. He was the hardest boss in the game but at least King Zing was still fun to fight over and over again due to the challenge. Unlike the bramble levels which were a nightmare.... Bramble Scramble in particular still haunts me to this day....

Sounds like I need to give it a shot.

You will finish watching the show with an appreciation for the genius that is Tina Fey.

It's true. Now I know how my dad felt trying to play Super Mario Brothers. I'm clueless when it comes to new games. Although Suepr Mario Brothers Wii was pretty awesome. Throwback.

Yeah, Nintendo has found a pretty great formula of changing the games enough to capture a new audience but keeping them the same enough to keep the old audience.

It's the best American comedy ever.
bunk.gif

Obviously you two haven't watched enough of it. There is literally zero reason not to love 30 Rock.

Though I do suppose that the jokes and humor of 30 Rock are thoroughly rooted in American society and life.

30 Rock is amazing.

On a related waste of time note, has anyone ever actually beaten the race level on Battle Toads for Sega Genesis? I'm pretty sure it's just impossible and the game has no actual end because the game designers knew no one could physically pass that level.

This one:

battletoads-dreaded-race-sequence-screenshot.jpg

On a related waste of time note, has anyone ever actually beaten the race level on Battle Toads for Sega Genesis? I'm pretty sure it's just impossible and the game has no actual end because the game designers knew no one could physically pass that level.

This one:

Haven't played that one.... but your description of that level is how I always felt about the last level of Super Return of the Jedi, where you have to escape the Death Star before it blows up. That level was fucking impossible!

30 Rock is amazing.

This is an interesting change of pace for us.

This one:

I was actually reading an article online about the most annoying levels in video game history, and this was on there. I never got that far when playing Battle Toads though, I usually get caught up in the pause screen music..

This is an interesting change of pace for us.

That's how I roll, baby. First you hate me, then not so much, and before you know it we're the three best friends that anyone could have, yes we're the three best friends that anyone could have, yes we're the three best friends that anyone could have and we'll never ever ever leave each other.

I was actually reading an article online about the most annoying levels in video game history, and this was on there. I never got that far when playing Battle Toads though, I usually get caught up in the pause screen music..

The Battle Toads theme was great. I'm not sure it touches WWF Royal Rumble '94 though...

[YOUTUBE]YDhKvgPFfI0[/YOUTUBE]

God that RR game was great. Son of a bitch finisher was difficult to hit for some o' them.

Sandow is amazing.

Random enough?

Obviously you two haven't watched enough of it. There is literally zero reason not to love 30 Rock.

Though I do suppose that the jokes and humor of 30 Rock are thoroughly rooted in American society and life.

From what I have seen, it is full of brash idiot characters and actors, who aren't half as funny as they (or the show) think they are.

It is certainly high on my list of "Critically Acclaimed Shows in America but Complete Shite to Everyone Else."

I'd say Final Fantasy 4 is. Chrono Trigger is top tier though. :)

Final Fantasy 4 is amazing. As a matter of fact FF 4 and Chrono Trigger are two of the few games that I can replay over and over and never get tired of them.

However, do you realize how epic of a game that Chrono Trigger was? Especially for it's time? With the alternate endings, the different storylines, and the ways to get different characters on your team? It was just an amazing and beautiful game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back