• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Racism in the WWE??

I would say no, there is no racism in the WWE.
The New Day Tag Team Champions, Naomi former Womens Champion.
Rich Swann former Cruiserweight Champion
I hate to say it Jinder still World Champion BOO BOO, his opponent tonight Shinsuke.
There is no racism.

Butch Reed left the NWA for the WWE and was in the mix for the IC title, indeed he was planned to have it instead of Honky Tonk Man but his backstage antics put paid to that... he went back to NWA/WCW as part of Doom and it was Simmons who got over from it. In short, Reed blew his chance at the big time.

Von Erich got the title for totally different reasons, due to his brother's death and being due to get the title when he died. That transitional run served a purpose... and Kerry got a run rather than David getting the run that was intended. Butch was NEVER getting near it and nor should he have.

Urban legend that both Reed and HTM have debunked. Reed was never in the equation for the IC title when HTM won it. Hell the whole myth is that he was supposed to beat Steamboat but no showed the night in question, so they went with HTM instead. The whole problem with that theory... is that Reed is actually in the dressing room celebration video after HTM won.

You're right though as I said. Reed was never getting the NWA title. If he was white? I think he absolutely would have. Transitional yes, but he had everything they looked for in an NWA champion. He didn't use a gimmick name. He could work face and heel. He could go 60 minutes. He knew how to put the other guy over. To say he never should have, just shows that you probably never saw a second of "Hacksaw" Butch Reed before he died his hair and joined the WWF.

That was the racism that existed back in his day. Like I said. There was a ceiling for black wrestlers that did not exist for white ones.

And if you don't believe that, since we're on the topic of Butch Reed...

go look up one of the 'shoe shine' matches that he had with Buddy Landel.

Furthermore, how common were black wrestling fans prior to 1990? With the WWE Network, you can go back and watch as many shows as you want. How many black fans do you see in the audience? Hell, for that matter, what percentage of white fans to black fans do you see in the audience today?

That's just ignorant. Obviously white fans are going to be the majority because whites are the majority in the country. Basketball games and football games where the majority of players are black still have mostly white fans. But the percentage of blacks who are wrestling fans is probably higher than the percentage of whites who are wrestling fans. Growing up in a black neighborhood, I can tell you a lot of black kids were wrestling fans. Part of the reason guys like Hogan and Dusty Rhodes got over was because they spoke black. Just look at how many rap songs by black artists have wrestling references.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back