R-Awakening: Xander v Kagura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadline extended by 3 hours to 11:59pst. If you wish to resubmit your RP in that time feel free to and your first will be disregarded.

Hells Kitchen
New York
Four Days Before R-Awakening

The doors in the elevator slid open at the sound of a dull ring, and Becky Serra walked out into the dimly lit hallway. She looked around for the stairs heading to the roof, and once found she began to ascend them.

‘Can’t believe I’m doing this…’

She climbed the stairs, finally coming the door leading out to the roof. As she opened it, a wave of cold air nearly knocked her off of her feet. She made her way out, taking in the view.

4921557133_28191f9d2a_b.jpg

New York. Hells Kitchen, to be exact. A well-to-do apartment complex high enough to really benefit from the early evening skyline. Becky couldn’t knock it, as much as she wanted to.

‘Like the view?’

Serra nearly jumped out of her skin, as Xander walked from behind her, hair tied back and in a sharp, navy suit.

‘Were you just waiting up here for me to arrive?’

‘What can I say; I like the scenery.’

Xander had made his way over, a few feet away from the edge, with his back to Becky.

‘Xander, I wont lie; I’m here out of curiosity, and because I was in the neighbourhood. I don’t get summoned by talent from my roster, no matter the reason. So you better have a damn good one to justify me being here otherwise I’m gone.’

‘You need a reason to appreciate the view?’

She shook her head, almost laughing. ‘If I wanted to admire the city I’d head on up the Empire State.’

‘Too touristy.’ Xander took a couple of slow, deliberate steps to the edge. ‘You know, back when I first started in WZCW, I stayed in an apartment. Nothing like this; not this…fancy. But I’d come up to the roof, just like this. I’d look out and I’d imagine just leaping. Just…leaping. And soaring through the air, like a bird. Watching the people down below go about their business and feeling…blessed.’

Becky, unsure of what to make of this, took a step back. ‘Xander, if you’re just wasting my time here-‘

‘I figure it was some kind of metaphor; that particular daydream. Like I couldn’t be held back. While I was soaring through the air, I was untouchable. That got me through from wrestling in shitty clubs in Phoenix, all the way to bingo halls in Philly, even further to Japan. In the air, I was unstoppable.’

He turned to Becky, his eyes meeting hers. ‘You believed that.’

Serra’s eyebrows raised. ‘The hell are you talking about?’

‘All those times you interviewed me, you gave me advice. You encouraged me. You pushed me on to keep entertaining. Keep doing my thing. You made me feel like I could really make it.’

Xander turns away from her.

‘Did you mean it?’

She laughed. ‘You seriously give a damn about what I said…what, five or six years ago?’

‘Answer the damn question.’

Her smile dissipated. ‘Don’t talk to me in that tone, Xander. I’m your boss.

Xander turned back away, taking a deep breath through his nose. ‘Did you mean it?’

Becky took a step towards Xander, still maintaining a fair distance. ‘I suppose…yeah. I thought you had all the tools. And, for the record Xander, I still do. I think you’re closer than ever.’

‘Really?’

‘You wouldn’t be on my roster if you weren’t.’

'Considering you throw threats out to suspend me, and fine me for expressing myself-'

'I told you; interfere in or after matches that don't concern you; I don't know what you expect?'

Xander smirked.

'You think that's funny?'

'Maybe.'

'Well keep laughing. It won't matter how many big matches you win if you carry on with shit like that; you'll never get what you want.'

The smirk dissipated, and a scowl emerged in its wake. 'Have I not proven myself yet?'

'I never said you hadn't.'

Xander smiled once more, turning back to her. ‘Then prove it. Change the card at R-Awakening. Put me in the World Championship match. I beat Tyrone Blades; surely that puts me in the running.’

‘Come on Xander, you know its not as simple as that. People earned their opportunities-‘

‘I pinned the champion in the middle of the ring.’

‘You really think that was Blades at his best?’ Becky laughed, derisively. ‘Trust me, if that was all you expected from him, you have no idea what would come with that championship on the line.’

‘Maybe.’ He turned back, taking in the skyline. ‘Doesn’t change the fact I deserve the shot.’

‘You have a shot. Against a former World Champion. A history maker. Kagura is all the challenge you need.’

‘Kagura…’ Xander closed his eyes, holding his left hand out. As he opened it, a handful of cherry blossom petals caught the wind, blowing into the distance.

Meltdown 154
...Kagura doesn’t blink. She takes a step forward before speaking in her native tongue.

Kagura: Anata no kōgeki wa okubyōdeatta nimokakawarazu, anata wa yūki ga arimasu. Watashitachi wa sorehodo chigai wa arimasen. Anatatowatashi wa onaji koto ga hoshī. Shikashi, watashitachi no hitoridake ga zenshin suru koto ga dekimasu. Soshite sore wa watashi no mono ni narudarou!

Kagura: Even though your attack was cowardly, you’ve got guts. We’re not that different; you and I. We both want the same thing. But only one of us will be able to move forward. And that’s going to be me!

She steps forward again and gets in his face. The two competitors remained deadlocked as tension fills the office. This time, it’s Xander who smiles and lets out a laugh. He proceeds to move past her and starts to walk out of the office.

Xander:
I didn’t understand a word you just said, but your eyes told me everything. I think I understand. You’re not going to be the one scaling the mountain at R-Awakening. It’s going to be me.

He walks out of the office and disappears down the hall, as Kagura frowns. She turns and begins conversing with her advocate as Becky looks on.

Xander thought back to that confrontation. He'd understood what she'd said clearly enough; he'd lived in Japan long enough to pick up the language. He wanted to play her. He wanted her to feel on the back foot.

‘She made an impression, clearly.’

‘Her mind games were amusing.’ He smiled, catching the last of the petals flying into the abyss while referring to the end of Meltdown. ‘Her name is one that I’m familiar with, though not too thoroughly. I knew she was making her name, just like I was. But I took a different path; one she would follow years later.’

‘So…what? You respect her, or-‘

‘I fucking despise her.’

Becky was taken aback by the venom in Xander’s words, as the latter spun and walked over to Becky, staring her in the eyes.

‘Why wouldn’t I? She won the King for a Day. Sorry, Queen for a Day. She cashed in. She became the World Champion. And she fucking blew it. Eve Taylor defeated her, moved on to Kingdom Come and Kagura became nothing more than a footnote. She wasted her opportunity. An opportunity I’ve deserved since day fucking one. One I’ve only ever been afforded twice; neither time a fair shot.’

‘Yeah, we all know how hard-done-by you feel. How Ty Burna ruined your life.’

‘I exorcised Ty Burna.’ A smile grew on Xanders face. ‘My biggest regret, my biggest demon, slain. Whether that was the Tyrone Blades of legend or not, it’s still a win. My win.’

‘So…you’re happy now?’

‘I’m focused. Kagura wasted an opportunity that I never would have. She made history only to be upstaged by Eve Taylor. Just like Ty upstaged me all those years ago. But Kagura won’t exorcise her demons. Instead, I’ll add to them, and prove she was lucky. Lucky to come up against a beaten, broken down man like Constantine.’

‘A Hall of Fame talent.’

‘Yeah, who I beat soundly when I returned. His star faded long ago, and that was proven when she cashed her contract in. But her luck’s run out.’ Xander turned and walked back over to the buildings end, this time standing right on the edge. ‘She wasted her shot. She can get to the back of the line.’

‘Xander, maybe you shouldn’t stand-‘

‘You wanna know what I’d do now to that kid who dreamed of soaring through the sky? Who leaped off of the top rope in hopes of glory?’

‘…I don’t-‘

‘I’d throw him off the fucking roof.’

Xander sighed, spinning and walking back to Becky, this time reaching her side.

‘Just like anyone who would gets in my way.’

‘That a threat?’

‘To you? No.’

‘Good. Considering the change in style, I was about to comment on how damn emo you still are.’

Xander chuckled. ‘Old habits die hard I guess.’

He looked down to the ground, taking in a deep breath. ‘You wanna know why I asked you here? To thank you.’

‘Thank me for what?’

‘Two things. For believing in me back in the day. Even as that goody two-shoes line towing jerk I used to be. You saw what I could become whether you admit it or not.’

Becky cleared her throat. ‘And the second?’

‘For seeing the light, just like I did. You don’t aim to pander or please the people. You look to show them what’s the best thing for them I admire that. But it’s about time you introduced them to a different class of champion. One who is deserving, and who won’t be manipulated. One who isn’t Tyrone fucking Blades. It’s time you introduce them to a Champion they truly deserve.’

'Are you really that guy, though?’

‘One way to find out.’

‘Who says you’ve earned it?’

‘I do.’

Becky turned to Xander, her face only millimetres apart from his.

‘Tough shit.’

Xander smiled. ‘Your choice.’ He walked past and opened the door, stopping in the open door way.

‘You better pray I don’t find a way to that Championship, Serra.’

‘And why is that?’

He turned his head, smiling. ‘Wait and see what I do to Kagura. You think Burna was a son of a bitch back in the day as Champion with the shit that he pulled; you ain’t seen nothing sweet heart. She, just like every other person you feel is in the line ahead of me, will get her teeth knocked down her throat, and will fade away.’

Xander threw up a mock salute, before passing through the door, leaving Serra alone on the rooftop.

‘Crazy son of a bitch…’

Kagura gazed out of the window of the cabin of her first-class seat, as the jet made it’s final descent into McCarren International. She and Sasuke weren’t here for pleasure, as much as the old man wanted to be. They were here on business. Specifically to renegotiate a portion of her contract. The entire way down, she had listened to him regale her with tales from the old days about his adventures in Sin City. From bar fights, to ****e houses, to that one time where he and the fellas ribbed two of the boys after switching their ring gear for lingerie. Long live the legend the nefarious Spring Valley Drag Queens! They hailed a cab, which took them to the WZCW headquarters located away from all the chaos provided by the tourism. Kagura stepped out, as she heard her former mentor mumble a few words to the cabbie. She turned and walked inside, where she was greeted by the receptionist. She was a middle-aged, blonde woman dressed in a suit and tie. Luckily for the former champion, the woman recognized her.

“We’ve got an appointment with Mr. Banks,” the older man called behind them, as Kagura thanked her for her assistance.

The owner of the WZCW had not made too many public appearances since his humiliation at the hands of the Hollow Ones. But he was still the head cheese, and made all the important decisions in the company. Soon, the duo was sitting across from the man himself. Kenneth Banks eyes darted from Kagura to Sasuke, and then back again. She said something in her native tongue to her advocate that the WZCW owner didn’t get.

“You’ll forgive me if I don’t quite understand. Despite all my business dealings in the country in the past, Japanese was not a language I ever fully grasped.”

Sasuke flashed the man a genuine smile. Which for him was quite rare. Could have been that he respected Banks for his continued interest and passion of being a promoter, or it could have just been that the magnate was paying his bills. Kagura couldn’t tell.

“That’s not a problem, sir. What she said was that she’s ready to accept your offer, and that it was quite generous,” the Asian man explained.

Banks smiled, “Excellent. Watching Kagura’s merchandise sales shoot through the roof this last quarter has been an unexpected surprise.”

And it was true. Post Kingdom Come, even though she had lost, her merchandise sales still increased by something like %5000. People were buying Kagura masks, Kagura tee-shirts, Kagura body pillows. She was all the rage among the fanbase. Not to mention all the fan art of her online. Some of which was pretty good, while others wanted to make her give up on the human race. She knew she was quickly becoming a sex symbol. Probably because she wasn’t as ****ty as Callie Clark, or as trashy as Eve Taylor. She was classy and mysterious, so she had more to offer the desire of horny perverts. Sasuke thought the whole thing had been hilarious. Joking that she had broken the internet, and had caused the WZCW fanboys to spill more seed than Michael J. Fox at a bird feeder.

“She’s always been a fan favorite, but hasn’t been nearly as successful a performer as she ought to be,” he continued.

Banks didn’t catch the small frown on the woman’s face, but Sasuke did. The businessman retrieved a contract from his desk and presented it to the two of them. Kagura began to read over it, as her advocate continued to converse with the owner.

“Kagura and I were discussing another addendum we would like to add. Since she’s proven herself to be a great house draw, and marketable when it comes to selling merchandise, she wants to protect her brand.”

The younger woman began speaking loudly in Japanese, clearly chastising the older man, before flopping the contract down onto the table with a loud smack. Banks raised an eyebrow, and leaned back in his chair.

“What are you proposing, Miss Kagura? I know can you understand me, so there’s no need for the middleman here.”

“Gōrudorasshutōnamento ni shutsujō shitai. Watashi wa sorehodo ōku okakutoku shita to omou,” she replied.

“She wants a contractual guarantee for a spot in the Gold Rush tournament post R-Awakening, Banks. Regardless if she beats Xander or not,” translated Sasuke.

The promoter mulled it over, and turned towards the former champion, “And what makes you think you deserve a guaranteed spot in the Gold Rush tournament? Should you fail to defeat Xander, your stock will go down. There’s something special and unique about that man that makes fans want to see more of him, despite his unpleasant attitude.”

Kagura could feel a knot on her brow beginning to form. She didn’t need to lectured by some old fogey like Kenneth Banks. Boss or not, he only cared about money, and she was making him a ton of it. But she wanted to protect her own interests too. That was just good business too, right? Besides, the less said about Xander at the moment, the better.

“Watashi wa mae no ōsawagi no chanpion to genzai no ōsawagi no chanpion no ryōhō otaoshimashita. Sore wa watashiniha sō iu kotode wa arimasen,” she said.

“She beat Tony Mancini, the former Mayhem champion, and Harald Von Krigare, the current champion. Those are two big names,”
Sasuke explained.

“By all rights, she should be the #1 contender for the Mayhem title post R-Awakening. I know there’s going to be some big changes in that division soon, but still. Her success this cycle has been undeniable. Do you think Kagura wants the reputation of being a jobber to the stars? Hell no. No one does. Xander is a hothead, and has a ton of misplaced confidence. As soon as he starts losing again, he’ll throw another fit, and quit the company. Next time he might not come back. Kagura has always been here. She’s been at the top of the card, and the bottom of the card. And she’s never asked for anything in return; always being a self-sacrificing employee. Now that she’s developed a popular brand, don’t you think that’s worth protecting, Banks?”

The WZCW owner leaned forward, “Of course I think her brand is worth protecting, but I don’t need to be lectured on this subject by an ignoramus like you, Gozaburo. You know what? Fine. I’ll add the amendment,” he said, turning to look at Kagura.

“But if you fail to defeat Xander at R-Awakening, then I’ll decrease your royalties!”

Kagura immediately perked up. She needed that extra money to pay for her wedding! He couldn’t just do that. She started to complain, but he held his hand to stop her.

“You haven’t won a match on PPV since Gold Rush of last year, Kagura. You’re very successful during the regular cycles, but rarely do you go all the way. Gold Rush? Yes, we’ll sell tickets if you’re there, but fans know you aren’t going to win. Your brand is nothing but a novelty act. Why should I have you compete in Gold Rush, which really doesn’t need the added boost that you’ll give it, when I can use you to boost the fledging parts of the card? Ever since we caught Lynx breaking into HQ and had to give him the boot, we’re in need of another curtain jerker. Do you want that position for yourself?”

Kagura was livid. Absolutely pissed. Sasuke could have sworn he saw steam rising out of her head. She hated to admit it, but he was right. Begrudgingly, she looked at her boss and shook her head.

“Then get your head out of your ass,” Banks replied. He turned to look at Sasuke, who had no comment. He turned back to look at the former world champion.

“You and Xander have a lot more in common that you realize. I know you want something better for yourself, but so does he. Whomever loses at R-Awakening is not going to be automatically demoted to Keith Kole babysitting duty, so fret not. But I have a feeling that the world title scene is going to be blown open soon, and if you want another shot at becoming champion, then you must prove to me that you can perform on that level. I’m happy to give you more money, but I’m not just going to give you title shots and opportunities that you don’t deserve! Now get out of my office, and go out there and make something of yourself again.”

Banks took a deep breath, as Kagura stood and thanked him for his time. He had given Tony Mancini this same lecture a few days ago, but didn’t think he be giving it again to a former world champion. Xander was a juggernaut. He was a sleeping giant that many brushed off as being too immature, too unskilled, and too washed up to be a major player. He got tired of all the constant criticism and changed not only his look, but his entire approach to wrestling. The only way Kagura was going to beat someone that starved for success was to become an unscalable object that the wolf couldn’t climb.

---​

The flight to Tampa was a quiet one. Sasuke kept silent and didn’t try to antagonize her. Kagura had a lot to think about, but her meeting with Banks left her mentally exhausted. What her boss had said was true. She was shit. She hadn’t won a match on PPV in almost a year. She had won just enough matches to stay relevant, but she was the furthest thing from consistent. She had been thinking about her match with Xander for several weeks now, and she thought she had her opponent figured out, and she did. She absolutely did. The problem was, she didn’t have herself figured out. Closing her eyes, she drifted off to sleep. She was too tired to be bothered to do anything else.

Later, she felt herself being shook awake, “Hey Kagura, everyone’s departing. Let’s get a move on.”

She grabbed her small carry on bag, as she and her advocate made their way down to the terminal to retrieve their luggage. Except there wasn’t any luggage for them to grab, because the airport had put their bags on the wrong flight out of Vegas. Kagura could hear Sasuke screaming and cursing at the attendant. She shot him a worried look, as he stormed over to her direction with his phone in hand.

“So, those motherfuckers in McCallan sent our luggage to PUERTO RICO! Can’t you believe that? It’s a completely different country! How can anyone screw up that badly? Fuck airports,” he ranted.

“Ochitsuku Sasuke-kun. Watashi wa sore ga machigaidatta to kakushin shite imasu,” Kagura replied, trying to calm the older man down.

Sasuke shook his head, “Then it was a hell of a mistake, Kag. I’ve got nothing against Puerto Rico, it’s a nice country. But what if someone sees our luggage and takes it? Do you really want some strange guy fondling your panties? They’d wind up on the black market faster than Barrett Stratton’s stolen social security number.”

Kagura laughed a little, as Sasuke dialed the number for San Juan International. It felt good, to be able to smile again. These past few weeks she’d either been brooding over the world title picture, or worrying about the PPV, or freaking out over Gold Rush. She had forgotten to stop and enjoy life. She had gotten a phone call from Derrick, who had wished her well in her match. He apologized for not being able to see her, but there was nothing either one of them could do about it. He was busy working, and saving up money so that they could enjoy a future together. And she was doing the same thing.

“Alright, so I think I’ve gotten this mess taken care of. We should be able to get our luggage tomorrow,” Sasuke said.

“I don’t know about you, little lady, but I am exhausted. Two flights worth of jet lag has just about damn near killed me. I’m going to the hotel. I’ve got another buddy that lives down here, and I rented out his old gym. We should be able to get some training done there.”

Kagura grinned. She had to hand it to Sasuke, he had friends just about everywhere, and a million stories to tell. She wondered what he would do if he were in her situation. Would he be sweating an opponent some would consider an upstart in comparison? Would he choose money over opportunity, or opportunity over money? She should have been happy to have both, but the truth was that she wanted more. She was a lot like her opponent in that regard. He was arrogant, and had no shame in expressing his greed, while she wore a mask to hide the fact that she was just as selfish. She hated Xander, because he was basically her without any restraints whatsoever.

“Watashi wa kihon o kabā suru yō ni kanjiru dakedesu. Kore wa watashi no sutoresurirīfu ni narimasu,” she said, expressing a desire not to burn herself out.

This as going to be her stress relief for the week. Run a few drills. Practice some basic techniques. She had no idea what type of training Xander was going to be doing for the match, but it really didn’t matter. Upon his return, he chose to implement more of a grappling style into his repertoire, which was her bread and butter. When it came to grappling, what mattered was speed and technique. Xander was bigger and stronger, but he wasn’t has flexible as she was, and probably not as quick either. As long as she didn’t let him ride her too hard – she could already hear the jokes from Mikey Stormrage from miles away – then she’d be fine. There was something that could be said about the art of grappling that made it beautiful. It was an intricate dance of holds and throws and counters. It wasn’t about simply jumping off something high and then claiming to be an artist. Anyone could do that. Kagura went to the top rope on rare occasions, too. But she usually stayed on the ground. In most situations, high risk maneuvers yielded low rewards. A moonsault off the top rope might only land you a two count, whereas a simple double wristlock might end the match swiftly and suddenly. Which was why she liked grappling so much; it was simple, beautiful, and effective. And she was happy that Xander was going to be her dance partner at R-Awakening.

“Soshite kondo wa watashi ni kimyōna nanika o ataenaide kudasai,” she turned and said to Sasuke in annoyance. “Chikin to kome ni kodawarimashou.”

Deer meat had been fine, but it was weird. She just wanted to stick with the basics with plain old chicken and rice. The old man turned to her and laughed.

“Too late, I already ordered ten pounds of gator. We’re gonna have stew. If you don’t like it, tough. I ain’t cooking anything else.”

Kagura looked horrified, and tried to protest, but he shot her a look that screamed ‘getting’ real tired of your shit’ before she threw up her hands in defeat.

---​

Tampa was such a beautiful place during the evening. It’s bustling metropolis lighting up the night sky, the sandy beaches inviting a cool autumn breeze, the waves rolling in from Gulf, and crashing into the coast with water so clear that it reflected the very essence of the moonlight itself. It almost felt like holy ground. Something so pure and untainted, that even stepping foot onto the ivory sands would feel like a waste to defile something so beautiful. And yet, for all that majesty, there was another setting that could match it. Kagura stared into the distance, watching as a gentle fall breeze caused the trees to sway in the background. It was a marshland, still covered in green. Standing next to a large stream, she breathed in the evening air. A symphony of crickets and frogs filled the night air, as fireflies danced across the sky, leaving a intricate display of light in their wake.

“Koko ni watashi no jitsugen ga arimasu. Zandā to watashi wa onaji riyū de tatakatte iru. Watashi wa ima sore o eru. Watashitachi wa dochira mo jibun jishin ni shōmei suru nanika o motte imasu,” Kagura said, reaching out to grab a passing firefly with her hand.

She and Xander were the same, in that they were both fighting to prove to themselves that they could reach the top of the mountain and stay there. Kagura had already reached the top once before, and had an opportunity to get back there ripped from her grasp.

“Tabun watashi no taijū wa omoku narudeshou. Watashi ga nemurenai hodo no yoru ga arimashita. Watashi wa chōdo sore ga watashi ga machigatte ita to kangae tsudzuketa.”

Those had been heavy burdens to bear. Xander didn’t understand what that felt like. To have the title of “former world champion” but receive none of the recognition that came with that. So many nights she lost sleep thinking about it. She wanted to give up. She wanted to scream and cry and curse about how unfair it all was. But yet, the fans never left her. Never stopped supporting her. Derrick left, but still called. Looking down at the ring on her finger, it was a constant reminder that his spirit was near. Sasuke returned to help her, so that she would never have to be alone in her journeys.

“Watashi ga minogashita kyodaina shin'en ga atta. Moshi kare ga mokuteki ohatashite kurayami otsuyoku suru node wanai ka to omou,” she pondered.

There was a black hole that had nearly sucked her in. She had barely escaped it’s crushing maw that would have sucked out all of her willpower and self-respect. Surely, she would have become the person Eve Taylor is now. Kagura hadn’t wanted that for herself, but Xander did. Because he’s got no self-respect. He’s under the impression that he can force himself onto the fans like a virus under the belief that they abandoned him first.

“Kare wa kaetta shunkan kara, fan no sonkei sae motte inakatta. Kare wa kurutte iru! Sore ga watashi no yuiitsu no ketsurondesu,” she muttered aloud.

Xander had been an asshole ever since he came back. The only things he doesn’t have now are the long emo hair, and the need to jump off high shit for attention that no one ever wanted to give him in the first place. He’s delusional! That was the only explanation she had. A low sense of self worth was their only similarity.

‘I’ll admit that I lost faith in myself,’ Kagura said to herself.

‘At R-Awakening, I need to win to prove to myself that I still can on a big stage. Xander’s an arrogant person who fights only for himself, and that’s why he won’t win this match. He’s believes that his hunger’s greater than mine, because I’ve been to the top and he hasn’t. But I’ve only had a little taste, and it wasn’t enough. Pain, anger, frustration, disappointment, fatigue, and hope. I think we both know these feelings well, but there’s something that he’s neglected. Something that I have, that he doesn’t. And what I have is the reason why I’m going to win this match, and he won’t.’

Kagura released the insect from her grasp. As she watched it fly into the air, she had a vision. The ground underneath suddenly gave way to reveal a giant swirling vortex! It expanded and began to swallow her whole, pulling her down into its depths. She tried to break free and pull herself up, but she felt a hand on her foot. Someone was trying to pull her in! She turned to see Xander with a maniacal look on his face. Just like the one he had when he attacked her on Meltdown. He was determined to climb out of the abyss on his own, refusing all help in the process. He began to use his strength to pull her in her deeper, using her body to propel himself forward.

‘No! I refuse to be your launching pad,’ she thought. ‘Or anyone else’s. For once in my life I can afford to be selfish! Because…’

‘Because…’

Suddenly, she saw a hand materialize in front of her. And then another. And another. Until thousands of hands surrounded her, each one begging her to reach out and touch them. All at once the hands converged and grabbed her, pulling her out of the abyss, leaving Xander alone to fend for himself. Kagura shook her head as the vision ended. She looked up at the sky, to see the fireflies dancing. She could still hear the melody of the creatures of the night, and the gentle motion of the moving stream.

‘What I have are people that believe in me! I’ve put my trust in others, and placed my hopes and dreams in their hands. And that’s something Xander refuses to do. He hates the fans and has never once tried to accept their support. He’s going into R-Awakening as a one-man army, while I’ll have thousands cheering me on. That’s why I can’t lose.’

Her mind flashed back to something Banks had told her during their meeting. “There’s something special and unique about that man that makes fans want to see more of him, despite his unpleasant attitude.” Fans were only paying money to see Xander lose. Because they hated him, and he’s embraced that. If she wanted to win, then she had to make the fans love her even more than they hated him. She was confident that she could do that.

“Watashi wa anata ni kenkyona kyōkun oshiete ikimasu. Ichido ushinau to, kono-jikan oyameru koto ga dekinai hodo no tsuyo-sa omiidasu koto ga dekireba saiwaidesu,” she uttered coldly.

Xander was nothing but a grown man-child that needed a lesson in humility. It was her hope that when he lost, he would come to realize that self-reliance was only going to get him so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back