Question regarding Bobby Heenan...

Flair is Overrated

Dark Match Winner
Heenan is clearly well respected as one of the greatest entertainers in wrestling history. He also seems to be the consensus #1 manager of all time in the opinions of damn near everybody (even Jim Cornette, who has quite an ego, and I find to be a grossly overrated manager, said that he hopes to be remembered as the 2nd best manager of all time after the Brain). But does Heenan deserve even more respect?

When you consider the arguments for greatest wrestler, and greatest tag team, of all time, there's no consensus. It seems that Hogan and the Road Warriors, respectively, are the most frequent names that come up for both of those categories, but there are a number of other contenders who get nearly as many people ranking them as the respective GOAT's. And taking it even further, you can look at announcers…some people like JR, some like Gorilla (and this is another category where Heenan is frequently mentioned). But when it comes to the greatest manager, there seems to be no argument. It's Bobby, and then everyone else. I'm a huge fan of Roddy Piper, and as instrumental as he was in building up Hulkamania (and therefore American wrestling), it was Heenan who took the role of Hulk's foil to another level. Interested to hear whether anyone else thinks Heenan should get a little more praise for his work?

At the end of the day, Hogan is the GOAT no matter how much Attitude Marks claim that it isn't so, and the Road Warriors are PROBABLY the best tag team of all time, though that's a little bit more debatable.

But yeah, Heenan is the greatest manager of all time. There have been other very good ones, like Jim Cornette and arguably Paul Heyman, but they're not even in the same league as Bobby.

You have to remember that he was Hogan's primary antagonist throughout most of the golden years of wrestling. On top of that, are all the major names he's managed, his long, well noted career. Cornette is noted for being the manager of one tag team, his short time on WWE TV and of course, his mouth. That's where it stops. Heenan's career is indisputable as the best any manager had.

I really dont think he can get more praise that being considered #1 can he? All lists start with 1 & being at the top of said list means you cant really get any higher.

He deserves every accolade and bit of praise he has. Aside from being an in-ring performer Heenan has done all you can really do in this business on screen & he has done it well.

Was hoping this was "question about Bobby Roode" about him being similar to Triple H. Nobody's added that the timing of their balding is also synching up quite nicely.

How can one get more praise than being considered the best manager of all time? He was also a good worker and a great color commentator. Is that it?

Do you want someone to shit on him to get this thread traction?

Coz I would have but I love his schtick.

.... consensus #1 manager of all time

Well, he's #1 for the managers our generation has seen. Wish I had seen guys like Fred Blassie, Lou Albano and the Grand Wizard in their heydays; I've been told those guys were insane......being given choice things to do, including the ranting & raving we'd expect.

Just because something happened before our ability to remember doesn't make it less important.

Well, he's #1 for the managers our generation has seen. Wish I had seen guys like Fred Blassie, Lou Albano and the Grand Wizard in their heydays; I've been told those guys were insane......being given choice things to do, including the ranting & raving we'd expect.

Just because something happened before our ability to remember doesn't make it less important.

I've seen some work of those three guys and while they were good at their craft I still think that Heenan was the most charismatic. Albano was my favorite of those three, but it's a given I've not seen it as much as Heenan of course. There is just something about Heenan, his delivery, his class, his brains to get some lines... The guy is an absolute legend. Those three were great at what they did sure and were probably early pioneers of managers in wrestling, but Heenan mastered it.

If what you are asking is where does Bobby Heenan rank in like a p4p best wrestling personalities of all time including every aspect of the business than yes he still ranks pretty high, like top 5

I don't know if there's much more praise that could be heaped upon The Brain, but he certainly deserves a t-shirt in WWE's retro apparel line. Glaring omission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back