Paul Heyman is no Bobby Heenan

No Count Pup

Just call on me brother
JBL calls Paul Heyman the greatest manager of all-time, but I think that distinction belongs to Bobby Heenan. He managed two world champions: Nick Bockwinkel, who ended Verne Gagne's seven year run as AWA World Heavyweight Champion, and Andre the Giant who ended Hulk Hogan's four year run as WWF Champion. His brilliant promotion of WrestleMania III helped WWF set records. Heenan added so much spice to the gumbo that Andre vs. Hogan on SNME gave WWF its largest televised audience ever. Heenan could also bump like no manager in the world.

Do you think Bobby Heenan's resume is better than Paul Heyman's? Do resumes matter in wrestling? Do you agree that Heenan is better than Heyman, or am I loco?

I think Heenan is in a class all to himself. That said, I have to say Heyman is the greatest manager of the modern era. Aside from the Curtis Axle disaster, Paul Heyman guys are the cream of the crop. He's untouchable on the mic. He could sell a match between two stumps. Heyman has been the main reason I've even been watching as of late. Well him and Dean Ambrose. But no, you are not off base with your assessment of the two managers.

Paul Heyman is the modern day Bobby Heenan. In an era where the manager has been largely downplayed, I think it's easy to underestimate the impact that Heyman has had, or how good he has been in that role. This isn't a competition...it's possible to love both for what they bring or have brought to the overall product. As fans, we're lucky to have them.

Paul Heyman is the modern day Bobby Heenan. In an era where the manager has been largely downplayed, I think it's easy to underestimate the impact that Heyman has had, or how good he has been in that role. This isn't a competition...it's possible to love both for what they bring or have brought to the overall product. As fans, we're lucky to have them.

It's not that I am trying to make it a competition. But it is natural for those who are the best at something to be compared to each other. Wrestlers get compared all the time. Heyman mentions his own major accomplishments every show and JBL extols his successes at every turn. Heenan didn't need to laud his past because his reputation preceded him.

The interesting thing about Heyman is he was either not needed with most of his WWE pairings or he didn't click with his clients. Punk didn't need him, Ryback didn't benefit, Axel's push was stuck in the mud, Kurt Angle could have done without him, The Big Show was a world champion numerous times over before Heyman worked with him. Heenan, on the other hand, could mesh with anybody. In fact, I can't think of a Heenan pairing that wasn't fun or didn't benefit the wrestler.

I will give Heyman this: the man is badass and cool. But as a manager, he ain't Heenan.

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan did not always manage champions. He managed some mid carders and super novas--main event for a moment-- (Bundy, John Studd, Mr. Wonderful, Barbarian, etc). Same as Heyman (Axl, Ryback, Big Show, etc) But they are both brilliant in their own way. When JBL says that Heyman is the greatest manager ever--well, that's hyperbole. The same way they talk up Cena as the greatest champion EVER or fill in your choice of the UNSTOPPABLE monster..." of the week"--Big Show, Umaga, Kane, Ryback. I agree with on of the previous posts--Heyman is the master of the modern era. Heenan (especially with his commentary) is in a league all his own. No disrespect intended...I don't think we'll see a DVD or Blu Ray on Jimmy Hart. Heyman and Heenan BOTH in a class of their own.

Of course he's saying that.
He's hyping up the guy who is on screen every week. That's what announcers are supposed to do.

People bitch when the announcers ignore what's going on ringside and now people are bitching about an announcer hyping up a manager.

WWE really can't win.

Of course he's saying that.
He's hyping up the guy who is on screen every week. That's what announcers are supposed to do.

People bitch when the announcers ignore what's going on ringside and now people are bitching about an announcer hyping up a manager.

WWE really can't win.

This is a discussion comparing Bobby Heenan and Paul Heyman. I come on the side that Heenan was a better manager. I used examples and facts. You simply whined. I know reading comprehension isn't everybody's cup of tea, but try to keep up with the thread.

This is a discussion comparing Bobby Heenan and Paul Heyman. I come on the side that Heenan was a better manager. I used examples and facts. You simply whined. I know reading comprehension isn't everybody's cup of tea, but try to keep up with the thread.

Maybe you should read your own opening post where the first line says that JBL says that Paul Heyman is the greatest manager of all time.

To which I responded that of course JBL is going to say that. It's his job to build the current people in the company.

Looks like your comprehension is pretty far off if you can't figure out he's just doing his job by saying that.

Just because someone says something on the mic doesn't mean it's their true feeling.

It's widely regarded that Bobby is the best manager of all time. There's very little debate in that. But it does nothing for JBL or anyone else on commentary to say Paul is good but he's no Bobby Heenan. That devalues Heyman.

You're comparing apples and oranges... both are awesome when you want them but when you're on a bus you don't want to be peeling an orange...

Heenan was the best example of the "old school manager" in wrestling, he was there not only as a mouthpiece, but as a plot device. Guys were paired with him for a variety of reasons, someone like Rude or Perfect because he was "the best" at guiding careers and thus giving instant gravitas. Someone like Andre, Ric Flair, Red Rooster or the Brain Busters because it gave them storyline potential and another potential outcome for matches... they could win dirty cos of Heenan. Someone like Hercules or Barbarian were paired with him as they didn't have the mic skills needed to do it themselves, so Heenan could cover that aspect for them so they could be the monsters Vince wanted them to be.

Old School Managers basically were that, working with their "clients" to help them improve, and navigate the business. Heyman was WCW's "version" of this for a time with the Dangerous Alliance, far younger than the talents but doing the same function, then Heenan was of course better, but both had their places. Many of their peers in that era were pure characters... Slick, Jamison, Elizabeth, Humperdink and even Jimmy Hart to a lesser extent were all characters mainly but Heenan, like Grand Wizard and Fred Blassie were the real "managers" who actually mentored their charges...but only theirs and working with them was genuinely an opportunity.

Today it is a different kettle of fish in many ways. WWE doesn't use managers in the same way as in Heenan's era...indeed they have only really been reintroduced in the last 3 years after a LONG absence. It's no coincidence that 2 of them are veterans like that old school group... Dutch/Zeb and Paul Heyman are working primarily with guys they have a personal relationship and respect for.

With Heyman there is Punk first of course as he took him under his wing in ECW and championed him, Axel because he was close friends with Curt and knew Joe since childhood, so naturally if he can work with him he will and of course Brock who he has had a close bond with for over a decade.

When he has worked with others like Cesaro and Ryback, that's WWE asking him to do as he did before and "help them along" and I am sure he did his best, but the WWE product doesn't allow for that with all the scripting etc. Heenan could cover flubs his guys made, make up a zinger off the top of his head cos the product was different... Heenan was trusted with EVERY major debut of his era... Andre as a heel, The Busters, Ric Flair, Razor Ramon and Lex Luger... Heenan was part of all of them cos they knew if the new talent made a mistake or froze, Heenan could cover it and his involvment with them would instantly make it a "big deal".

Think back to Mania 6 or try and find original footage of Andre's face turn... Heenan is there for all the world to hear yelling "I'm the F***ing boss" at Andre before slapping him... of course the turn is planned, but Heenan was given that license to go X rated... it was picked up on the mics and not even cut from the video releases back then...

Heenan did that cos the moment NEEDED to be epic and he adlibbed. Heyman would absolutely be fired in a heartbeat for going close to that today, even if Vince was desperate for an epic turn...

That's why you can't really compare the two... Heenan was the best in the "more free" era... Heyman is now the only guy with that skill to that level in a scripted WWE...

Where Heyman has more on Bobby is the full on experience of the business, as a promoter, worker, businessman, even as a motivational speaker. Heenan was only ever really a character... a great one, but he didn't run a company or do much more than wrestle the odd match, tell some jokes at the commentary table or mentor "his guys"... Heyman mentors anyone who will listen!

There's always gonna be "classic status" syndrome. No current band can ever be as good as The Beatles... just because. They just can't. Too much media hype surrounded the Fabs and too many were caught up in the zeitgeist. Hell, the music press perpetuates their "untouchable" legacy to this day. I think they're okay, but could name 100 bands whom I place above them.

So Heenan was from the Rock 'n' Wrestling Era. The first WrestleMania. The Golden Era of wrestling. He has that classic, "nobody-can-ever-be-better" status. I love Heenan, but he and Heyman are neck and neck in my book, and Heyman is set to surpass him in the next couple of years.

There's always gonna be "classic status" syndrome. No current band can ever be as good as The Beatles... just because. They just can't. Too much media hype surrounded the Fabs and too many were caught up in the zeitgeist. Hell, the music press perpetuates their "untouchable" legacy to this day. I think they're okay, but could name 100 bands whom I place above them.

So Heenan was from the Rock 'n' Wrestling Era. The first WrestleMania. The Golden Era of wrestling. He has that classic, "nobody-can-ever-be-better" status. I love Heenan, but he and Heyman are neck and neck in my book, and Heyman is set to surpass him in the next couple of years.

Can't agree, Heenan could take bumps aswell as doing the great promos etc whereas a Heyman isn't really much of a bump taker and I don't think he tells a story in the ring like Heenan did.

Inherently the bands you "place above them" will have been influenced in some way, learned from or even in some cases outright copied the Beatles and few would have been around when they were.

Heyman is unique in that he WAS around when Heenan was and was very, very good... but not top level...but more dangerous and subversive... It'd be like Heenan being The Beatles and Heyman being The Doors...

Heyman has grown over time and bumps or not has done far more that Heenan ever did in the business... he never had to assemble a roster, get guys to destroy their bodies and not get paid for the good of the company, write for Vince McMahon while running the gamut of political issues and still show up onscreen...

If we take your analogy that makes Heenan the Beatles but Heyman has grown into the Stones!

You're comparing apples and oranges... both are awesome when you want them but when you're on a bus you don't want to be peeling an orange...

That's why you can't really compare the two... Heenan was the best in the "more free" era... Heyman is now the only guy with that skill to that level in a scripted WWE...

So because they managed in different eras the whole thing is a wash? Much of what you said was great. But it was overshadowed by the cop out bit that a person can't put one manager ahead of another. You are basically saying any countdown list is pointless if it does not come from one single era. Nonsense. Fans rank everything, it's in their DNA. You appear to lean on the side that Heyman was better. Very cool. You made a good case for him. Own it!

The business is radically different now to what it was in Heenan's prime...just as it was when the Wizard and Blassie were the main managers. You can't compare them as "like for like" with managers of today cos they are not the same entity.

As I said in my earlier reply, Heyman WAS around at the same time as Heenan so that's the only reason any true comparison is possible. You couldn't compare Lana or Zeb to Heenan in the same way cos they are pure scripted characters, not given free reign to "get their guys over" as Heenan and early Heyman were. It DOES matter as much as the E would love you and your fellow "Sheeple" to think it doesn't...

If WWE were a circus (some would argue it already is), Paul Heyman would be the Master of Ceremonies while Bobby Heenan would be a lion tamer; the "apples and oranges" analogy stated earlier applies here.

Heyman performs much like Mike Mizanin when he first arrived in WWE, acting as the "host" of Smackdown, a role in which he spoke loud and often, but said essentially nothing. Heyman does this too, ranting on and on about how fabulous the man he represents is while never actually telling us something we didn't already know.

Heenan was a wise-cracking, yapping example of the old-time pro wrestling manager. Like Heyman, Heenan was extolling the virtues of the guy he was representing, but was looking more to augment the value of the wrestler with whom he was standing in the ring.......while Heyman is strictly a salesman, hoping to get you to buy his spiel while the guy he's pushing either stands at Paul's side, lapping up the praise.....or, like Brock, isn't in the arena at all. It's Heyman's gift to be able to do this; I don't think Heenan could function as Brock's rep while standing by himself. At the same time, if Brock were a full-time employee, I doubt the company would need Heyman at all.

One could argue that Heenan was either at his best (or his worst) when managing Lex Luger during Lex's "Narcissus" days. Watching Heenan practically drool as he extolled the virtues of his client ("Look at those abs! Look at those deltoids! Look at those pecs!") I had the feeling that Bobby lusted after the guy. I wasn't sure what in hell they were aiming for in that segment.

In his later years as a "broadcast journalist," I suppose I was less enamored of Heenan than many of you. He made clever comments, forever sniping at good guys, but it was always the same soup warmed over. Bobby had a good mind for the business, to be sure, but comparing him to Paul Heyman is a tough thing to do because the two of them are employed for different reasons and go about their tasks in very different ways.

Can't agree, Heenan could take bumps aswell as doing the great promos etc whereas a Heyman isn't really much of a bump taker and I don't think he tells a story in the ring like Heenan did.

If we're going down that road, you have to factor in Bobby's history as a worker. Paul Heyman isn't a wrestler. He's certainly willing to take people's finishers, though, and endure a pasting with kendo sticks from CM Punk. I don't think a lack of physical ability should be held against someone in a field that generally lacks physical ability.

If WWE were a circus (some would argue it already is), Paul Heyman would be the Master of Ceremonies while Bobby Heenan would be a lion tamer; the "apples and oranges" analogy stated earlier applies here.

Heyman performs much like Mike Mizanin when he first arrived in WWE, acting as the "host" of Smackdown, a role in which he spoke loud and often, but said essentially nothing. Heyman does this too, ranting on and on about how fabulous the man he represents is while never actually telling us something we didn't already know.

Heenan was a wise-cracking, yapping example of the old-time pro wrestling manager. Like Heyman, Heenan was extolling the virtues of the guy he was representing, but was looking more to augment the value of the wrestler with whom he was standing in the ring.......while Heyman is strictly a salesman, hoping to get you to buy his spiel while the guy he's pushing either stands at Paul's side, lapping up the praise.....or, like Brock, isn't in the arena at all. It's Heyman's gift to be able to do this; I don't think Heenan could function as Brock's rep while standing by himself. At the same time, if Brock were a full-time employee, I doubt the company would need Heyman at all.

One could argue that Heenan was either at his best (or his worst) when managing Lex Luger during Lex's "Narcissus" days. Watching Heenan practically drool as he extolled the virtues of his client ("Look at those abs! Look at those deltoids! Look at those pecs!") I had the feeling that Bobby lusted after the guy. I wasn't sure what in hell they were aiming for in that segment.

In his later years as a "broadcast journalist," I suppose I was less enamored of Heenan than many of you. He made clever comments, forever sniping at good guys, but it was always the same soup warmed over. Bobby had a good mind for the business, to be sure, but comparing him to Paul Heyman is a tough thing to do because the two of them are employed for different reasons and go about their tasks in very different ways.

Of course everybody has different reasons for being hired. That doesn't mean an apples and oranges principle automatically applies. Brock Lesnar is a part-time "mercenary" that is used as a WWE Network draw. Does that mean Lesnar's dominant run can't be compared to Andre the Giant's, or the Ulimate Warrior's, or Goldberg's? Wrestling talents have divergent roles, but that doesn't mean one can't have a better run or be a better performer than another.

Michael Cole is a 21st century media savvy broadcaster and former CBS Radio war correspondent. JR was a 20th century style announcer from the territories. They get compared all the time. Jesse Ventura gets compared to Bobby Heenan who gets compared to Jerry Lawler. They broadcasted in different eras, but that doesn't mean one wasn't better than the others. Historical context enriches discussions, but it shouldn't be used as a tool to prevent comparisons. Outside of the whole "apples and oranges" issue, I agree with most of what you said.

Judging a manager by the success of his clients is a terrible way to do it. He's not really managing their careers. The way to to judge a manager is his ability to draw heat for himself and transfer that heat to his client for a feud or match.

Of the modern era, only a few names really qualify. Heenan, heyman, cornette and Sherri Martel.

Heyman is a great mouthpiece, but I'd actually put him fourth on that list personally. I think he does a great job drawing heat on himself but I'm not convinced he's nearly as good at transferring it as the other three.

It's not that I am trying to make it a competition. But it is natural for those who are the best at something to be compared to each other. Wrestlers get compared all the time. Heyman mentions his own major accomplishments every show and JBL extols his successes at every turn. Heenan didn't need to laud his past because his reputation preceded him.

The interesting thing about Heyman is he was either not needed with most of his WWE pairings or he didn't click with his clients. Punk didn't need him, Ryback didn't benefit, Axel's push was stuck in the mud, Kurt Angle could have done without him, The Big Show was a world champion numerous times over before Heyman worked with him. Heenan, on the other hand, could mesh with anybody. In fact, I can't think of a Heenan pairing that wasn't fun or didn't benefit the wrestler.

I will give Heyman this: the man is badass and cool. But as a manager, he ain't Heenan.

Yes because Nick Bockwinkle, Andre the Giant, Curt Henning (world champion before Bobby managed him) and Ric Flair (7X world champion before Bobby), were never going to be over or get over without Heenan. You are kidding right? Bobby wasn't any better than Paul, not trying insult him here but comparing his era to anything paul is doing is completely different. Punk didn't need Heyman, fine, but he enhanced his character. Same thing that Heenan did with Flair, Or Rude, or Henning, or Bockwinkle, or Andre. Frankly, He enhanced them just like Heyman. I like Heyman more, I think they are equals mostly because it was easier to do the job back in Heenan's era.

Yes because Nick Bockwinkle, Andre the Giant, Curt Henning (world champion before Bobby managed him) and Ric Flair (7X world champion before Bobby), were never going to be over or get over without Heenan. You are kidding right? Bobby wasn't any better than Paul, not trying insult him here but comparing his era to anything paul is doing is completely different. Punk didn't need Heyman, fine, but he enhanced his character. Same thing that Heenan did with Flair, Or Rude, or Henning, or Bockwinkle, or Andre. Frankly, He enhanced them just like Heyman. I like Heyman more, I think they are equals mostly because it was easier to do the job back in Heenan's era.

You're missing a major point... The NWA guys like Lex and Flair in particular but also Rude and Hennig were NOT known in New York and by their fans to a level where they could "get over" themselves. Rude was put straight with Heenan and touted as a major signing but Heenan also helped with the whole presentation of the character, Rude wasn't someone who the WWE fans would buy going straight into Andre's Survivor main event team or beating Warrior for the IC without Bobby... that time spent with him elevated him so when he went to WCW he didn't NEED Heyman to get over... he was way over... but his being in the Alliance as the "crown jewel" helped Heyman and the others more than Rude.

Hennig was another who needed a manager, look back at Mania V when he fought Owen/The Blazer... no ring music, no manager, the only part of the package there was the neon tights... The Genius helped cos the Heenan Family was full but when the time was right Curt was moved to Heenan and that is truly where Mr. Perfect became a major player... it's no coincidence his 2 IC titles came under Heenan's tutelage, much as Axel's did under Heyman because they knew each other well from Curt's youth and the AWA more than Heenan's actual skills... but at that time getting into the Heenan Family (or leaving it) was a major deal and if someone with that talent has a personal connection to you, it works... the best duos in wrestling always have had that. Good as Rude was, he was always gonna hit that eventually, he needed the boost at the start...Curt needed Heenan to hit the heights he did and he was never the same or as good without him, both guys are equivalent to Brock who wouldn't have in 02 and today doesn't work without Heyman.

After that time Heenan was the "big debut" guy, no one knew who Lex Luger was unless they watched the NWA as well or read Apter mags... but when he did just an interview at 8 as a Heenan scoop and his debut a few months later at the Rumble it was instantly big news and the fans bought Luger immediately. Razor got the same rub by being paired with Heenan to team with Ric... think about it, he went from AWA Tag champ to WCW Worldwide fodder to main eventing Survivor Series on his debut teaming with Ric Flair and Flair's debut angle with the belt only actually worked cos of Heenan's putting him over... if Flair had walked in without Heenan, no one would have got it...

Heyman has never been that influential guy effectively onscreen unless he knows you well and as someone said a lot of his heat is on him first, THEN the guy he works with... Heenan got heat for both at the same time and in equal measures... guys were hated cos they were with Heenan but also because they were good enough to be with him... Fans would want to love Rick Rude, Perfect or Andre but couldn't cos of "that damn weasel".

No true debut has been given to Heyman of any weight... if for example he ends up managing Adrian Neville or KENTA, Devitt or Steen (or all of them) then yeah, you can compare them.

It's very difficult to compare these two because you can't directly compare them. They both make you want to hate them, which makes them so great at their roles. I think Heyman, in a traditional physical sense is the most despicable person on the planet. He's fat, he's bald, he's greasy, he's vile.. He is disgusting no matter how you look at him, and he knows that, and he owns it. He's made a great career off of it, especially in his early WWE career in 2000/2001. Add in his cocky, arrogant personality and everything about Paul Heyman is designed to be unlikeable.

Bobby Heenan is the same way. Guys turned heel just by aligning themselves with him. It's not that you are necessarily a heel, but more a heel by your own association to Heenan. So with that said, they are both the best at what they do, but in different eras. Unfortunately we can never know if Andre would be considered as evil if he aligned himself with Heyman instead of Heenan. Or we would never know if Brock would be as over as a heel if he aligned himself with Heenan instead of Heyman. They are both top notch at what they do, but in different eras. There's another thread about Austin vs Hogan and who is bigger, and it's very much the same answer. They are both huge and great at what they do but incomparable because of the nature of the business in which they worked.

Here's the thing: people forget some of Heyman's earlier work before he started ECW. His stuff with the Original Midnight Express against Cornette/Eaton/Lane was one of the hottest feuds you'll find in its era and the Dangerous Alliance set WCW on fire again after one of the worst stretches they ever had. You couple that with the stuff in the WWE and his resume is as good as it gets.

However there are a few things to keep in mind.

Above all else, look at the talent Heyman has been paired with over the years. Among many others:

Serious Rick Rude
Steve Austin
Bobby Eaton
Arn Anderson
Kurt Angle
Brock Lesnar
CM Punk

That is all either A-list or incredibly underrated talent. It's true that Heyman is great, but it's not like he had to build things from the ground up.

On the other hand, let's look at some of the talent Heenan was managing. Again among others:

Goofy Rick Rude
King Kong Bundy
Big John Studd
Haku
Barbarian
Terry Taylor
Hercules

You can only take those guys so far, especially in a company where the faces were always dominant. I'm not saying Heyman has ridden their coattails because he certainly has carried his own weight, but it's a little easier to hype up Brock Lesnar than Haku you know?

On the other hand, you have to remember that Heyman got his start in 1987 when cable was just coming in. Heenan on the other hand got started in 1960. His best years were probably lost to history and the stuff people have seen from him are in the tail end of his career.

I don't think you can really pick one over the other, but I think I'll go with Heenan, just due to his longevity and the talent he had to work with once he was on the national stage.

It nausiates me when people make the comparison. Its Heenan by a fucking MILE. A guy who still stood out, regardless of being a part of an immeasureably more gifted and star studded era in wrestling. Not to mention being a guy who could single handedly make programming entertaining with his commentary, and could also bump like a son of a bitch for faces when necessary.

I disagree..it IS MUCH easier to be a manager today. There is no competition. How many actual managers are in WWE today ? Maybe 3 total, and two of them are pure characters in mid card feuds with undercard talent (Lana & Coulter) ? The last main event mgr WWE had before Heyman was probably Flair during the Evolution days but he occasionally wrestled.

Heenan prospered in an era where managers were extremely important to the storylines, they helped drive storylines in a way they almost never do (aside from Heyman and for a bit Coulter) do today. Im not even sure Id say Heenan was the best in his time, "Classie" Freddie Blassie, Capt Lou Albano, Gary Hart, those guys could get broom sticks over as legit main event level talent with fans. Jim Cornette for my money was the most entertaining manager of the time, he was pure gold every segment and excelled on the mic better than most of the wrestlers in those days. Cornette also was convincing as an ice cold, menacing villain as much as he was as a comical one, a hard transition he did with ease.

Lets not forget JJ Dillon, great presence, great mic work, Dilllon was a guy who became associated only with the best talent. When Lex Luger came up from Florida a big part of his storyline was that he believed the best way to get to the top was to work with Dillon, he managed champions. When Barry Whyndam had his famous 1988 heel turn it was the same reason, Dillon was the guy who got the most success for his guys, do you want to fight against him or join him ?

There were other popular and effective managers back then as well, including Paul Jones, Precious, Sherri Martel, & Elizabeth among the women (you could maybe argue Precious was more a valet llike Baby Doll and not a full fledged manager, the other two were clearly seen as managers), Woman, not too mention Jimmy Hart & Paul Ellering, two of the biggest names in 80s wrestling back in the day. Ole Anderson, Slick, Teddy Long, & Kevin Sullivan also had turns.

For Heenan to stand out as he did in that crowd was pretty impressive, that was a huge crowd with a lot of contrasting characters and styles across different promotions. Heenan, along with Dillon, Hart, Ellering, Blassie, Albano, & Cornette were clearly the most successful in terms of the constant high profile use in major storylines and performance on screen. Heyman actually started in this era, back in the mid 80s as Johhny Dangerously, the cell phone wielding cowardly business man style heel, a cross between the Hennnan/Dilllon man of distinction role & Cornette's comical evil genius role. he came up and worked for several years in this era, comparable to Sting & Lex Luger coming up at the end of an era dominated by Hogan-Flair-Savage-Dusty. They made a mark at the end of that era and continued on for several years. Heyman did the same.

I think post WCW, when Heyman was in ECW he altered his style and character a great deal and it worked, made him more believable and less hokey, the fore runner to what you see today from him. I give him credit for making that transition, that's not always easy to do.

When you look at how great Cornettte was it's hard to just crown Heenan the best of his era. Dillon too, and Ellering, they were exceptional. Heenan definitely makes it to the finals though. Today, with so few managers on the wrestling landscape and even fewer getting significant air time and storyline positioning at the top tier, it's much easier for Heyman, who's been managing so long he lasted Shawn Michaels entire career and retirement, managing so long his career is longer than Undertaker's (his big start came in 1989), to look great, head and shoulders over everyone else. He is good (he adds a lot to the relatively bland Lesnar and covers well for his many absences) but he faces a lot less competition than Heenan did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back