Puro fans, UNITE!

Having just watched the press conference, wow Honma's voice shocked me! Is he some kind of heavy smoker? I'd never heard him speak before that.

Crushed vocal cords!

G1 Climax 24: Day 1 is well worth a watch, everyone. Some really seriously good stuff, NJPW's show of the year so far. Reviewed it here.

What a badass.

Haven't watched any G1 yet but I will for sure since there are so many must-see matches! Ones I'm looking forward to in A block are Ishii vs Nakamura, and of course his rematches with Shibata and Tanahashi! As for B block, pretty much every match with Styles. It's amazing how you can throw one new talent in and it changes the playing field so much!

Last year I watched every single day of the G1! I loved it, Day 4 is IMO the greatest wrestling show I've ever seen. Will I watch them all this year, hmm not sure, I'll try! But no doubt I'll get very behind, so I'm probably gonna have to stay away from here for a while so I don't get spoiled.

Questions I have while I'm here. If Styles were to win, what would happen? From a kayfabe standpoint I mean. Has the champ ever won G1 before?

Also this is offtopic but how comes in other feds streamers are thrown in but not in NJPW?

Agree on Day 4 from last year as a contender for greatest wrestling show. So many EXCELLENT matches in front of a hot crowd too.

If Styles were to win he would get to name his own contender for the title. Sasaki won the G1 in 2000 whilst IWGP Champion but ended up in a cross-promotional feud with AJPW so the rule wasn't established. For obvious storyline reasons, they tend not to have the champ win.

Not sure on the streamers. Good question. I love streamers in wrestling.

Anyway: Day 2 from this year was really solid across the board. No spoilers but it's worth a watch. Styles v Yano is, without meaning to make a lame pun, a real styles clash (that works!).

Okay a question I have had since I started watching New Japan but never remembered to ask. Desperate to know since the crowd always shouts along: WHAT DOES KOJIMA SAY AFTER HE HITS HIS OPPONENT IN THE CORNER?

I wrote this for a wiki once: "'Ichi bakayaro!', which roughly translates as 'I'm here, you bastard!'"

Day six was fairly good - great main event between Ishii & Tanahashi. Day seven was OMFG great. Last four matches all 8/10 or better from me. AJ Styles vs Minoru Suzuki is a definite MOTYC. If you loved AJ's matches with Joe then you'll be all over this. Similarly if you're a Suzuki fan and enjoyed his match against Tanahashi in 2012, then this is for you.

Day six was fairly good - great main event between Ishii & Tanahashi. Day seven was OMFG great. Last four matches all 8/10 or better from me. AJ Styles vs Minoru Suzuki is a definite MOTYC. If you loved AJ's matches with Joe then you'll be all over this. Similarly if you're a Suzuki fan and enjoyed his match against Tanahashi in 2012, then this is for you.

Here is the Suzuki/AJ match

Seen that match three times now, just absolutely awesome.

Day 9 spoiler of sorts
G1 Final will be be between one of Tanahashi/Nakamura/Shibata/Fale and one of Styles/Suzuki/Okada.

The newest member of Bullet Club is...

show_news_icon.jpg

Jeff Jarrett after he hit Tanahashi with a Kaboong.

Apparently nobody cared about Jarrett and the GFW thing when he came out, like people were leaving to buy merch and snacks which is a rarity in Japan because of their respect for wrestling, but once he joined the BC everyone cared. It's weird.

Need to watch the whole event but I did watch reDRagon/Timesplitters and Kingdom/CNJ & Liger. Both good matches. IDK why reDRagon came out to their usual theme while Kingdom came out to some bullshit rock jam crap. Didn't suit them either. Also the Japanese commentators apparently put ROH over hard as the, "top wrestling promotion in America". Japan doesn't consider WWE wrestling and NJPW apparently hate TNA so from their perspective I guess it's true.

Jarrett in the Bullet Club is like six different kinds of crazy. It's a really good move for GFW if they're going to feature BC as top heels.

Apparently nobody cared about Jarrett and the GFW thing when he came out, like people were leaving to buy merch and snacks which is a rarity in Japan because of their respect for wrestling, but once he joined the BC everyone cared. It's weird.
So you still think GFW is a ghost or has a NJPW agreement softened your opinion somewhat?

Also the Japanese commentators apparently put ROH over hard as the, "top wrestling promotion in America". Japan doesn't consider WWE wrestling and NJPW apparently hate TNA so from their perspective I guess it's true.

Source?

And yeah, WWE's kind of transcended pro wrestling. Or to be more accurate, there's sports entertainment, and then there's pro wrestling. And how TNA is at the mo', ROH does edge it out.

So you still think GFW is a ghost or has a NJPW agreement softened your opinion somewhat?

If they announce some roster members I'll probably be more optimistic, but right now, I still couldn't care less about buying Jeff Jarrett's 8x10's or an autograph from Karen.

Source?

And yeah, WWE's kind of transcended pro wrestling. Or to be more accurate, there's sports entertainment, and then there's pro wrestling. And how TNA is at the mo', ROH does edge it out.

http://www.pwmania.com/how-did-rohs...jpws-g1-climax-final-how-did-njpw-promote-roh Plus it was mentioned on Reddit during the live discussion because a Japanese speaking American noted it and PuroYotsume who is a big NJPW American blogger also mentioned they plugged ROH hard. If you listen to the matches the initials "ROH" are mentioned a lot.

If they announce some roster members I'll probably be more optimistic, but right now, I still couldn't care less about buying Jeff Jarrett's 8x10's or an autograph from Karen.

I'm holding out that it'll be an indie/Japan/Mexico version of the WWE Network in a match-of-the-day style format on a US network.

I've loved every bit of the Okada v. Nakamura's finals. Great tournament overall. Still not sure with what they are really aiming for Wrestle Kingdom. Tanahashi v. Styles should be a treat in the following months. Would actually be okay with Nakamura and Okada actually teaming up for the IWGP Tag Team Championship and ending up an even bigger money making feud.

If I could, I would totally book Nakamura v. Kazuchika Okada for the Tokyo Dome with the IWGP Hvt Championship on the line. AJ Styles v. Naito or AJ Styles v. Tanahashi (with Bullet Club disband stipulation or whataver) would be a big enough match for a former champion. I can also see a Fale v. Suzuki match up...

I'm also a bit unsure where they're going but I still trust the bookers.

My total dream (within reality) WK9 card would look like this.

- Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight). The idea being that Nakamura gains the title between now and the Dome.
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata (c) (IWGP Intercontinental). See above, but Shibata avenges his defeat to Fale in the G1.
- AJ Styles vs Minoru Suzuki. Fuck it, the first one was so good I could go the whole thing again.
- KUSHIDA (c) vs Kota Ibushi vs Ricochet (IWGP Jr. Heavy). Not a huge fan of threeways ibut this is the way they've booked these three, as somewhat even.
- Yujiro Takahashi (c) vs Tomoaki Honma (NEVER Openweight). Give Honma the win on the biggest stage. Pop would echo around the world. It would be better if someone else had the title than Yujiro though.

No idea what I want to see in the tags/jr tags, just something interesting please. Bullet Club will obviously do something but I can't think what would be interesting to me right now match-wise.

From the Observer, the jist being NJPW are really happy with ROH, more talent exchanges, ROH World Championship might be defended at Wrestle Kingdom.

New Japan Pro Wrestling are very happy with how their relationship with Ring of Honor has been going thus far. Aside from the shows in Canada and New York City, which were both sell-outs and well received, NJPW officials were extremely happy with the performances and presentations of Adam Cole, Michael Bennett, Maria Kanellis and reDRagon at the G1 Climax 24 Finals. NJPW officials will be attending Field of Honor this Friday at MCU Park in Brooklyn to discuss future talent trades, as it’s believed ROH are looking to get Kazuchika Okada in for their biggest show of the year, Final Battle, in December and NJPW are interested in having the ROH World Championship defended on January 4 at Wrestle Kingdom in the Tokyo Dome, which would be big publicity for ROH in Japan.

I'd be happy with that. Would hope it's between an ROH guy and a NJPW guy. O'Reilly got himself over well on Sunday and could see him being ROH champ too.

So I have now finished the G!, and wow what a tourney it was! So much to write about, apologies if this post is unstructured...

But first of all a HUGE thank you to you Gibby for your excellent blog covering the event! I was able to learn so much about the history of the talents, particularly the Tanahashi/Shibata thing which I had no idea of! But knowing their history made the match so much more enjoyable to watch, and it was one of my favourites.

Other great matches were, all of Styles' pretty much, Honma vs Shibata, and Ishii vs Honma, WOW!

Loved it. The final match started off pretty standard, but from the moment Nakamura did that AMAZING Rainmaker counter into the armbar the match was pure gold. The finish, wonderful. I'm so happy Okada is still at the top. I'm convinced Nakamura will beat Styles between now and WK and that will be our main event! This dream match needs to happen again!

Styles vs Tanahashi was also excellent and easily more can happen with these two. I have a feeling Tanahashi will be written out for a while after that beating. The Jarrett turn, I think is really pointless, is he honestly gonna start GFW as a top heel authority figure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back