Puro fans, UNITE!

Enjoyed Chikara. Super crowd!

Anyone going to the Rev Pro show in Bethnal Green next month?

5310cbd692ff4_290x1_fill.jpg

Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP IC Champ) v Zak Sabre Jr (current NOAH Jr Heavy tag champ)
Marty Scurll v Kevin Steen (ROH)
Prince Devitt (ex-NJPW) v Adam Cole (ROH World Champion)
+ Karl Anderson (current IWGP Tag Champ) announced.

Catching up on New Japan stuff I missed out on when I stopped watching. Just watched Nakamura vs. Ibushi from last year's G1 and holy shit man, that was a battle and a half, it got overshadowed by Ishii/Shibata earlier in the night but I actually thought this was better. Usually I'm not that big on someone kicking out of a few finishers in a row like Ibushi did, but it worked with the story they were telling so I didn't mind. I was losing my shit when Nakamura was just curb stomping the everloving fuck out of Ibushi's head in the corner like an old PRIDE fight. Just awesome stuff. ****1/2 from me.

I watched the Devitt V Tanahashi match that Meltzer gave 5 stars to yesterday, starting to get back into watching the Puro after a bit of a hiatus from watching it. I enjoyed it for the random youtube selection I got.

There's a Youtube account called Dave Meltzer 5 Star Matches which has a selection of recent NJPW matches that were highly rated (like ****1/4 and up) but not necessarily 5 stars.

That night of G1 with Ishii/Shibata & Nakamura/Ibushi is probably my favourite single night of wrestling. Pretty much everything is at least good there. The two named matches are un-fucking-amaz-ible.

Yeah Meltzer never gave that 5 stars. The only New Japan 5 star matches he's rated since the 90s are the previously mentioned Ishii/Shibata, Tanahashi/Okada from April 2013 and Tanahashi/Suzuki from October 2012.

Not that that's not a badass match.

People often like to say, "Meltzer rated it five stars" just so people will watch it to either agree and repeat everything Dave said or argue and comment on how great he thinks he is.

What is everyone's thoughts on Styles with the title? I must say the closing minutes of his first match with Okada were quite awesome with me on the edge of my seat! I did not see Takahashi turning but it does make sense since he was still going around as a heel despite Chaos being de facto faces now. So yeah, I was also curious as to how they were going to get the Clash over, since Tanahashi does it as a normal move lol. Soit was a Dominator from Takahashi, then a Bloody Sunday and THEN a Styles Clash to get the pin, so that was a smart way to do it IMO.

I thought Okada was a fantastic champion! I'm very curious to see how he's going to be booked while Styles has the title though.

Warning: lengthy

I don't like to play fantasy booker too much and I have built up a fair trust in Gedo & Jado's booking, especially given the interference from their paymasters, but if I had a bit of a criticism then I'd say that this is an attempt to make a short-term gain in the US more than it is a solid bit of booking/writing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Styles. And I thought they protected Okada well at Dontaku by having him beaten by shenanigans, not pinned at WOTW and then needing two finishers to lose at Yokohama.

But clearly they needed, in their mind, to have the title on a recognisable name heading into those two US shows. iPPV probably makes a huge difference to them and cementing an extra 2000-3000 buys is a lot of money. Styles is a worthy champ for any promotion and NJPW should be pleased to have him: I just think having him debut on the title in front of Fukuoka's frosty crowd, having seen none of his stuff, was a rare error in judgement. It also doesn't help me personally that I don't really love Bullet Club. As title changes go, it was a little bit...cold?

Okada was a great champion who really grew into the role. There's something very Joffrey-esque about him; a somewhat autistic boy king who oozes the skillset for his role, but none of ability to generate or feel love. Which is why he became such a great heel, because he was pompous and detached and kingly and delivered all his moves with such grandeur.

Having Okada go slightly face is interesting; they clearly need a new company Ace if Tanahashi is being moved down due to injury and Okada fits the bill on paper. Will he make that connection to the crowd the way Tanahashi has? It will be really interesting to see.

Had I booked it, it would I have been a little simpler. Okada defeats Styles at Fukuoka. CHAOS v Bullet Club at Yokohama and Okada defeats Yujiro at Dominion. Okada loses or draws to Styles in the G1 blocks, leading to a title showdown with the crowd understanding the rivalry between stables, the talent of the two workers and the history of the feud. You can put either over depending on whichever way the wind is blowing, because they're both worthy champs and we now know they can work well together.

That said it seems like they have inserted Ishii into the picture a little by having him counter Bullet Club's interference: CHAOS don't really interfere on each other's behalf, so it felt more than just a brother saving a brother from a beatdown. With CHAOS losing two members, this could be the crumbling of CHAOS leading to Okada v Nakamura and Ishii stepping up to the main event picture (probably to lose).

I daresay they're going kick things off with the G1 and BoSJ. There have been NJPW critics stepping up recently and not everything they say is unwarranted; things have been moving slowly and some of their expansionist ideas haven't paid off (two events for New Beginning, 8000 paid entry in the 17000 capacity Yokohama Arena) but the roster is still great and you can get good matches from most given good circumstances.

In Noah I've mainly watched short matches of theirs and from what I remember they weren't half bad. Nothing amazing, but then again they're both fairly young and have a good bit of potential.

I've never seen them but a mate of mine just this evening said he looked them up and said they looked pretty good.

He's doing pretty good in Zero1. He's part of a foreign talent stable and won the Zero Heavyweight title a while back and just recently lost it to Kohei Sato. Haven't seen a match of his since he lost the title though.

Pretty big, if confusing and a little unclear, news coming out of Japan.

Jun Akiyama is starting a new company in August that he hopes will be called All Japan Pro Wrestling. He has the blessing of Baba's widow, the backing of 13 key talents and permission to use the three original belts of the Triple Crown. Unfortunately he doesn't have a financial backer and the former president of AJPW is unwilling to hand over the naming rights.

This could mean that AJPW finally hits the dirt after 42 years. Some might argue it would be about time, having dipped considerably in the days following the Misawa-led mass exodus of 2000. However, for a long time AJPW was Japanese wrestling to the extent that WWE is American wrestling.

If Shiraishi plays ball, then AJPW could wobble into a new era with some solid talents but no clear future or solid financial backing. Either way, it's dark days for the company.

I've read that AJPW and Akiyama will be having a press conference in the next couple of days. Should be interesting to see what happens to AJPW. If AJPW does hit the dirt I wouldn't be surprised at all. Their last couple of shows haven't drawn squat (only 600 people at their last Korakuen Hall show) and Shiraishi is a complete idiot when it comes to pro wrestling.

The writing's been on the wall for All Japan for years, so this doesn't shock me at all. Interested to see what Akiyama could do with the revived name though, I'd have more faith in him putting together a company like the one that rocked all our skulls off in the 80s and 90s than pretty much anyone currently involved on the business or booking aspect of the current AJPW.

Have you guys caught any of the WRESTLE-1 shows yet?

Watched a couple of things from W-1. Not bad, quite enjoy the KAI v Soya thing they have going. They seem to be showcasing a lot of international and young talent, doing odd things like having Leon van Gasteren defend some obscure European title in matches that have rounds rather than a continued flow. Needs something to make it really special though.

Daichi has signed for....IGF?

I would love to see Daichi Hashimoto in New Japan or Noah. He has the pedigree to be a major star.

I know right! I was baffled by this completely. Maybe his dad was completely loyal to Inoki? Or he just isn't that into puroresu? I checked to see what kind of numbers IGF do and they're very strong: 9000 at their NYE show. That said, that was their last show. So he's got a pretty sweet deal - works occasionally, presumably trains and freelances and avoids being stigmatised as a Young Lion. Puzzles me that there's a market for worked shoot at ALL.

Had I booked it, it would I have been a little simpler. Okada defeats Styles at Fukuoka. CHAOS v Bullet Club at Yokohama and Okada defeats Yujiro at Dominion. Okada loses or draws to Styles in the G1 blocks, leading to a title showdown with the crowd understanding the rivalry between stables, the talent of the two workers and the history of the feud. You can put either over depending on whichever way the wind is blowing, because they're both worthy champs and we now know they can work well together.

That said it seems like they have inserted Ishii into the picture a little by having him counter Bullet Club's interference: CHAOS don't really interfere on each other's behalf, so it felt more than just a brother saving a brother from a beatdown. With CHAOS losing two members, this could be the crumbling of CHAOS leading to Okada v Nakamura and Ishii stepping up to the main event picture (probably to lose).

I like your booking there!

I liked the Styles and Okada rematch much more than their first one. I am very curious what is next for both of them.

If Ishii loses the Never belt to Yujiro that will free him up to be inserted into a feud with Styles, I would love that! Maybe Okada could then feud with Yujiro... or would you say the Never belt is too much of a step down for him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back