• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Lawrenson on the BBC, his predictions are as follows (personally I think he's CRAP!)

SATURDAY

Portsmouth v Bolton (1245 BST)
The problems are already mounting for Bolton and now we are reading that Nicolas Anelka is thinking of leaving - which is perhaps not too much of a shock.

Portsmouth have made a decent start to the season with an away point and then an excellent home point against Manchester United so confidence is high.

Prediction: 2-0

Birmingham v West Ham
This should be an interesting one.

The legal situation involving Sheffield United won't affect the West Ham players. As long as they carry on getting paid, they'll be fine.

But newly-promoted clubs are always difficult places to go early in the season when the mood is good and they're still trying their hearts out, so I'll go for the draw.

Prediction: 1-1

Fulham v Middlesbrough
I'm tipping Fulham here. I think they were unlucky in their opening game against Arsenal and then followed it with a win over Bolton.

David Healy only signed in the summer but he's already looking at home in the Premier League and scoring goals.

I watched Middlesbrough against Wigan and they just don't look like a team with any confidence. Defensively, they look very threadbare.

Prediction: 2-1

Reading v Everton
Reading have just carried on from where they left off last year.

They were a little bit unlucky against Chelsea because Jose Mourinho can so easily change things with the quality of players he has at his disposal.

Everton have made a brilliant start to the season and if they get a point at the Madejski Stadium, they'll have seven from nine points. I would think they'll be delighted with that.

Tottenham v Derby
We're already reading that the Tottenham chairman has had crisis talks with manager Martin Jol after their poor start to the season.

I hope that is absolute rubbish and if it isn't, well, Jol is better off walking away now because it's daft.

I expect Tottenham to pick up the win here against a hard-working Derby side, who just lack a bit of quality.

In a funny way, Dimitar Berbatov's injury might solve Jol's problem of who to play up front because he won't have to try to accommodate three players.

Wigan v Sunderland
This is another interesting one.

The tide is with Sunderland at the moment. They've scored two late goals in two games and that tells you they're obviously fit and keep going to the end for their manager.

But I think Wigan recognise this season that at home they've got to make it far more difficult for teams and they can be quite physical.

Newcastle v Aston Villa (1715 BST)
Aston Villa have only played one game so far - losing to Liverpool - but I think they're better than that.

Newcastle are still very much settling in under Sam Allardyce so I'll go for an entertaining draw.

Prediction: 2-2

SUNDAY

Man City v Man Utd (1330 BST)
I'm going to buck the trend and go for a United win.

When United are asked a question, they nearly always come up with an answer. You get a reaction with United and I think that's what we'll get on Sunday.

City have made a very, very good start but their players are all still settling in so they may be a bit inconsistent for a while.

Prediction: 1-2

Blackburn v Arsenal
Everyone was trying to write Arsenal off at the start of the season, saying Tottenham will finish above them, but I actually think they're going to push the other three close.

Away from home, it really suits their style of play - almost better than the Emirates.

Blackburn are a good team but, what with their European game on Thursday, I can't see them getting anything on Sunday.

Liverpool v Chelsea (1600 BST)
This is a stonewall draw. My only decision is whether it's scoreless or not.

If Liverpool are going to get anywhere near winning the Premier League they have to start beating Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United.

Maybe the summer signings will make the difference - but not on Sunday.

Saturday, 18 August 2007
Birmingham v West Ham, 15:00
Fulham v Middlesbrough, 15:00
Newcastle v Aston Villa, 17:15
Portsmouth v Bolton, 12:45
Reading v Everton, 15:00
Tottenham v Derby, 15:00
Wigan v Sunderland, 15:00
Sunday, 19 August 2007
Blackburn v Arsenal, 15:00
Liverpool v Chelsea, 16:00
Man City v Man Utd, 13:30

Wow, only one draw in the whole lot.

Blues, admittedly, I'm worried about. We're defending like complete and utter shite, and if it carries on, we could be re-introduced to the Championship sooner rather than later. On a bright note, Johan Djourou (pronounce that when you're drunk) seems to be a good player. It's the wing-backs where we're fucked. Stephen Kelly and Stuart Parnaby? Utter shite. We need some new ones before the window closes.

Birmingham v West Ham

2-2

This has draw written all over it, two relegation candidates this year, I just dont see either team having the organisation to beat the other.

Fulham v Middlesbrough

0-0

The most boring game in the history of the world... well maybe not as boring as a Villa Game. Seriously two of the most meh teams in the Premiership squaring off, its going to end in tears (and goalless).

Newcastle v Aston Villa

2-0

I dont think Villa have a chance of beating Newcastle, they look much better this season, and I see them finishing quite high up the table.

Portsmouth v Bolton

3-1

I think Portsmouth, but not without a fight. I think it will be a tight one, but with Pompey getting two late goals, making the win look alot more convincing that it actually will be.

Reading v Everton

0-2

I dont think Reading will pose much of a threat to Everton, although they shouldn't have got a draw with Man U.

Tottenham v Derby

3-0

Derby dont stand a chance even if Spurs are playing like crap

Wigan v Sunderland

0-1

I just cant bet against Keane, Wigan are already down in my opinion so they should feed some point to Sunderland, a team that actually have a chance of staying up.

Blackburn v Arsenal

2-1

Upset of the weekend here, I think Arsenal's true weakness will be shown against someone like Blackburn.

Liverpool v Chelsea

1-1

This has draw written all over it. It's just like a Chelsea vs. Man Utd game, they just cant break each other down.

Man City v Man Utd

2-3

I'd like to think that we will stuff them, but city are playing well. I see this being a close one, with Man Utd edging it...

1 - 0 Come on you irons!

Birmingham are shite, sorry but they are.

West Ham till i die!

Manchester United lose again, this time to Manchester City. Hmm, they must have only one point from 3 games. Apparently their worst start to a season in 15 years. Jonny won't be happy, but it serves them right; they've been near the top for too long. And Chelsea drew with Liverpool eh? Not great starts from either side.

to be fair Man U aren't going to win the title like this (they're on 2 points in 3 games and 2 of those have been 'easy games). Chelsea and Liverpool can afford a draw especially with each other. Arsenal I was disappointed with.

Newcastle hmm I was impressed with a clean sheet but we've not scored at home int eh premier league since Feb!

And Brum shite? Hmm that would be so much better if you'd won 3-0 not 1-0 with a pen in the 72nd minute.

And Makems beat 3-0 oh happy days :)

WE WERE ROBBED! Damnit man this sucks so badly. Three points should be ours. If you dont know what Im talking about you could maybe search 'Worst decision in history... EVER' on youtube for a video.

I've seen the clip, but to be fair I reckon Drgogba would have scored anyways. That's just what I think.

Oh yeah it was a crap decision, atrocious refereeing and he's got off quite lightly.

There should be some sort of discipline against refs lol. An apology didnt get our two points back so I dont care if he did that or not.

VIDEO REPLAY FTW

Ok here's the predictions of MARK LAWRENSON on the BBC once again...I will post my usual winner, draw and loser predictions later [without scores]

SATURDAY

Sunderland v Liverpool (1245 BST)

I just think after the euphoria of a late goal against Tottenham and a late goal against Birmingham, reality set in last Saturday for Sunderland against Wigan

Manager Roy Keane knows what he has got and he has a better indication of the level his team are at, having seen them lose so easily at the JJB Stadium

Liverpool, on the other hand, have the luxury of two teams to pick from, like Manchester United and Chelsea. I expect a comfortable win for the Reds.

Prediction: 0-2

Arsenal v Man City

Now this will be a very, very interesting match.

I think City will come unstuck at Arsenal in all honesty. They had a great result against Manchester rivals United but even their own manager Sven-Goran Eriksson said his team rode their luck.

This match might be City's reality check after a fruitful three games.

City fans should not be too disheartened if they lose because they will be sitting there with nine points, having already played United and Arsenal.

Aston Villa v Fulham

Villa really should have come away from Newcastle with a win last week but they found Magpies goalkeeper Steve Harper in really good form.

I know Martin O'Neill is still looking to improve the squad, so I expect them to get better as the season wears on.

There are big question marks hanging over the Fulham side on the road.

Bolton v Reading

Unfortunately, I hate to say this but even at the end of August this is a must-win game for Bolton.

I think the problem for Bolton is that the way they play has changed under new boss Sammy Lee and it is taking time to convince the team that this is the right way to play.

Reading have had a really, really tough start, so a point will be good for them.

Chelsea v Portsmouth

I fancy Chelsea to win this, even though the majority of their squad have not had any training for a while because they have been away on international duty.

But they have so much depth in their squad and they would have been buoyed by the result at Anfield.

Portsmouth look like they will improve yet again this season, which is another plus for manager Harry Redknapp. They will not win this one though.

Derby v Birmingham

This is a match between two teams in the bottom six, who, frankly, will be two teams who will finish the season in the bottom six.

Derby were mauled by Tottenham last week and they will have to be better on Saturday.

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce has signed quite a few players in the transfer window but I am finding it hard to work out where the goals coming from.

A long hard season for both these teams.

West Ham v Wigan

I am going to go for West Ham. They have got options - plenty of pace and strength in depth. Defender Danny Gabbidon, who did so well last season, can't even get in the team.

They needed that win at Birmingham last week after losing at home to Manchester City.

Wigan look like they will be capable of beating teams around them and that will be the key to survival.

Everton v Blackburn (1715 BST)

This is a tasty fixture but it always is between these two teams. The match is all about old-fashioned football because there will be a lot of tackles involved.

Everton ran out of gas at Reading last week but I will go for a home win here.

I reckon it may be one of those matches where you might not end up with 22 on the field by the end because of the physical nature of the teams.

SUNDAY

Middlesbrough v Newcastle (1330 BST)

Middlesbrough will no longer have striker Yakubu and Mido is not match fit, so goals will be hard to come by for them in the Tyne-Tees derby.

They will be without defenders Jonathan Woodgate and Robert Huth, so they do not look too clever at the back either at the moment. It is difficult to see who they will get in before the transfer deadline because a lot of the good players have gone.

Newcastle seem to have a little less pressure on them when they are on the road, so I think they will sneak this one.

Man Utd v Tottenham (1600 BST)

Manchester United will come back with a bang. I do not think they will be as wasteful in front of goal as they were against Manchester City.

One thing about Sir Alex Ferguson's team, even on a bad day, is that they create lots of chances. The squad will not need many words of encouragement from Fergie.

Tottenham have become a laughing stock, I don't know what has been going on behind the scenes.

Manager Martin Jol already knows his team have to break into the top four, so he does not need the added pressure from the board.

I think the whole saga has been pathetic.

Saturday:
Sunderland vs Liverpool
Arsenal vs Man City
Aston Villa vs Fulham
Bolton vs Reading
Chelsea vs Pourtsmouth
Derby vs Birmingham
West Ham vs Wigan
Everton vs Blackburn

Sunday:
Newcastle vs Middlesborough
Man Utd vs Tottenham

Saturday:
Sunderland vs Liverpool
Arsenal vs Man City
Aston Villa vs Fulham
Bolton vs Reading
Chelsea vs Portsmouth
Derby vs Birmingham
West Ham vs Wigan
Everton vs Blackburn

Sunday:
Middlesborough vs Newcastle
Man Utd vs Tottenham

Saturday:
Sunderland vs Liverpool
Arsenal vs Man City
Aston Villa vs Fulham
Bolton vs Reading
Chelsea vs Portsmouth
Derby vs Birmingham
West Ham vs Wigan
Everton vs Blackburn

Sunday:
Middlesborough vs Newcastle
Man Utd vs Tottenham

No messing around here. We need a win to keep the confidence up after last week. Man UTD need the win too.

First sacking of the season predictions anyone?

Little Sam...

Also I can not see boro winning, they've sold Yakubu, Their other forwards out, and two of their main defenders are...

Blues/Derby teams are available.

Derby:

Bywater

Griffin
Davies
Todd
McEveley

Teale
Oakley
Pearson
Lewis

Howard
Fagan (Former Blues Striker Craig Fagan)

Subs:
Leacock
Earnshaw
Moore
Price
Johnson (Former Blues defender Michael Johnson)

Blues:

Taylor (Doyle's not around)

Parnaby
Jaidi
Ridgewell (Captain)
Kelly

Kapo
Muamba
Djourou
McSheffrey

Jerome (Why the fuck?)
Forssell

Subs:
Kingson
Sadler
Larsson
Nafti
O'Connor (Should have started instead of Jerome)

Sorry Jake...

Here's the results...

RESULTS:
Arsenal 1-0 Manchester City
Aston Villa 2-1 Fulham
Bolton 3-0 Reading
Chelsea 1-0 Portsmouth
Derby 1-2 Birmingham
Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool
West Ham 1-1 Wigan

I was a bit upset with the Arsenal win, Schmeicel saved a penalty though it was a hard fought battle.

Bolton trust them to win just after I say that Little Sam will be first manager to go. The Chelsea, Derby and Sunderland scores were expected.

I feel a bit bad for Wigan as well, I think they were only in the lead for a few minutes.

Everton v Blackburn tonight and tomorrow we have;
Man Utd v Tottenham, 16:00
Middlesbrough v Newcastle, 13:30

Oh Man U finally won

Newcastle dre 2-2 with Boro.

No midweek games but feel free to discuss carling cup/champs league.

We have Barnsley :D

After the midweek break due to cups it's game weekend again. As ever here are MArk Lawrensons predictions and my usual who will win/lose choice. From now on, I'm going to rep the person who gets the most correct win/lose/draw guesses. Also I think we should explain reasons as well so this doesn't become a spam thread. And remember on Sat/Sunday NO LIVE DISCUSSIONS IN THIS THREAD

THIS WEEK'S PREDICTIONS

(Kick-offs 1500 unless stated)

SATURDAY

Bolton v Everton

It's an improving Bolton side against difficult-to-beat Everton.

A real doughty, northern derby, and I can only see one real outcome, a draw.

Fulham v Tottenham

Tottenham had a couple of decent results at Craven Cottage last season, and their performance at Old Trafford last week will give them heart.

Fulham certainly haven't had the rub of the green so far - poor old Lawrie Sanchez must be wondering what's he's done to deserve it.

Liverpool v Derby

So far this season in the Premier League, Derby have been so poor at the back, it's frightening.

Liverpool have now got strength in depth, and they'll be able to freshen up and change the team that beat Toulouse in the Champions League.

Prediction: 3-0

Middlesbrough v Birmingham

Mido has come in and lifted everyone at Middlesbrough, and made a big difference to the club. They're also getting one or two injured players back.

Birmingham will scrap and battle, as they know they will have to do all season long. I'm not expecting a classic match.

Newcastle v Wigan

It's been a good start for Chris Hutchings as Wigan have beaten the teams expected to be with them around the bottom of the table.

But I expect Newcastle to win, they're unbeaten and Sam Allardyce has got competition for places.

Reading v West Ham

West Ham have made a stuttering start but they also have personnel returning.

Reading had been quite phenomenal before Saturday's 3-0 defeat and I can see them getting back on track with a draw at the Madejski Stadium.

Man Utd v Sunderland (1715 BST)

The return of Roy Keane to Old Trafford. But he's now had a realisation of what it will take to stay in this division. He's addressed that by bringing in a few new players this week.

I expect Sunderland to battle and scrap as their manager did when he played, but Man United will just have too much quality.

SUNDAY

Arsenal v Portsmouth (1330 BST)

It's been softly-softly, catchee monkey Arsenal, who have quietly made a good start and are just starting to click.

This will be a tough game for Portsmouth, coming so soon after their trip to Chelsea, where they played well without reward.

Blackburn v Man City (1500 BST)

I was impressed with the way Blackburn played at Everton. They get criticism at times, but they are a good team, with good players who work hard.

Man City have made a spectacular start, but this will be a tough test for them. I also think it will be a more open game than you might think.

Aston Villa v Chelsea (1600 BST)

Chelsea just have this amazing way of not getting beaten, they're strong through the middle and they know how to win.

If Villa sit back, Chelsea can dominate them, if they attack, Chelsea can hit them on the break.

results are as follows [man u v mackems is a late kick off]

Bolton 1-2 Everton
Fulham 3-3 Tottenham
Liverpool 6-0 Derby
Middlesbrough 2-0 Birmingham
Newcastle 1-0 Wigan
Reading 0-3 West Ham

Man when Owen scored in the 88th minute did I jump! That was the first premiership goal in St James' park since February.

I'm suprised NUFCRejects beat reading 3-0 I was expecting a draw.

Fulham were lucky to pull back against spurs and poor old derby :(

championship mention goes to the 0-0 draw for stoke

NUFCrejects are you having a laugh! It has today been announced on the club's website through another statement that we are now called Charcastle - in relation to all our ex Charlton & Newcastle players/staff. Seriously though we were absolutely brilliant today and deserved the 3 points. Up the hammers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back