• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Possible Changes to WWE Network

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It seems things are about to get a little more interesting, and those rumors of WWE buying TNA’s tape library aren’t going to die down after what came out this week. Dave Meltzer on a recent edition of the Wrestling Observer Radio (via Wrestlezone.com) reported on a new WWE survey that’s also currently making the rounds on the internet. The new survey is polling fans on a number of issues for the WWE Network, hinting at some potential new pricing options for the streaming service and future programming, including TNA Wrestling and Ring of Honor.

The survey hints at four potentially different pricing options for the Network. Here’s a breakdown of the four pricing tiers:

* FREE Plan: Access to short video clips (less than five minutes each), access to all content in the WWE video archive (including live events 30 days after they air), but only for a period of up to five hours per month from the video archive. This plan would include full commercials.

* $4.99 Plan: This would be for tablets and smart phones only. It would offer viewers complete access to the 24/7 live stream and the video archive, the “Big Four” WWE pay-per-view events, pre-recorded NXT episodes, and limited commercial breaks.

* $9.99 Plan: This would reportedly be similar to what’s currently available for people who subscribe to the Network for $9.99 a month. However, it would also offer access to a live weekly NXT show and “new weekly Cruiserweight Classic episodes.” This plan has limited commercial breaks.

* $14.99: This would include everything in the previous plans, but with the added bonus of no commercial breaks. However, this tier mentions “Access to independent wrestling content such as TNA & Ring of Honor.”

In short, the survey mentions both TNA and ROH programming for streaming options on the WWE Network. As previously reported, there were rumors of WWE buying TNA’s tape library, and Billy Corgan becoming the new majority owner of the company. However, Carter later seemingly shot down those reprots on Twitter.

The Wrestlezone story mentions there’s no official deal in place between WWE, TNA, and Ring of Honor. However, there is reportedly a plan by WWE to obtain the right to stream independent non-WWE content on the Network. This would be similar to how UFC is now streaming content from other, smaller MMA organizations on UFC Fight Pass.

There's quite a lot to this, I suspect.

I don't think it is a rumour any longer, the WWE have purchased the tape library of TNA. But the real question now remains of what they are going to actually do with the library. I have thought it very dubious that the WWE are going to try and promote a soon to be dead company, in order to get more subscriptions on the Network. The real question is why anyone should care about the tape library when there is no hope of it actually meaning anything. The casual fan is not going to care about TNA in any form. But a lot of people are interested in going back and watching some of the TNA highlights of the past. And that is where the WWE are going to exploit their new purchase.

With the new tier system, it is going to pay for the hardcore fan to pay another $5 to get access to the TNA stuff and, possibly, Ring of Honor too. This is smart business from the WWE, like them or not. There is going to minimal disruption from people who are happy with their $9.99 service but thy are going to squeeze some more money out of the people who are the true fans. Nothing wrong with that. And the tier system also, kinda, rewards people for putting a bit more money into the company. The inclusion of commercial breaks throughout shows is going to be a real kick in the buts for the people who choose to take the cheaper option.

For me, I still don't buy a lot of what is being said on wrestling websites. I don't think there is any chance that ROH gives away it's product on the WWE Network, even if it would be financially beneficial for both parties. ROH is a sovereign program that are nothing like the WWE and I have a feeling that some of the ROH die hard fans would resent ROH for falling under the umbrella of the WWE going forward.

That said, I would likely be willing to put the extra $5 into the WWE Network for all of the new content. But what about you? Do you think this is smart business, first of all? And beyond that, where do you see yourself fitting into this new tier system? And finally, do you think that ROH could find themselves in the mix?

It would be dumb for TNA, ROH, or any other indy not to team up with WWE if they were to do this. I think it would benefit everyone including Pro Wrestling in general which has been in a decline for awhile now. WWE would get an increase in subscribers with an added $5, the "indys" would get more exposure and introduce their brand to some that may not be familiar which will increase their attendance/interest, and finally you can ultimately do surprise appearances or 1 time appearances to boost attendance and the surprise effect which has been missing since WCW went under over 15 years ago. I really hope this happens since it will give young upcoming talent exposure which will be fun to see them develop over time, gives companies that are struggling added finances and exposure, and ultimately true pro wrestling fans who appreciate the different types of wrestling and gives them 1 network to watch it all.

Wonder how this will affect us here in Canada. We get the network through our cable channels, two of them, so we don't really have the option of changing it to get more or less. Waiting to see how they handle this. One option could be just adding another channel I guess.

I don't know how much stock I put in this because this is just the latest in a number of rumors I've heard over the years of WWE doing different pricing options for the WWE Network. There were reports/rumors almost exactly like this popping up almost immediately after the WWE Network launched; most of the time, they start up whenever a new subscriber count to the network is announced.

As far as streaming non-WWE programming, that's something I haven't heard before. On the surface, one could immediately dismiss such a notion because it just seems like WWE would ultimately be putting on other wrestling products that they don't own on its network, so what would be the benefit for them? However, generally speaking, as has been mentioned, it could potentially mean an increase in viewership as it'll give viewers who may not watch WWE an incentive to subscribe to the WWE Network to view something they do follow and, quite probably, do it for less expense.

Another thing that strikes me as it being a possibility is that based on Triple H's actions, he's not at all opposed with working with other wrestling companies in some ways. After all, the WWE Cruiserweight Classic ultimately came about in large part via the cooperation of companies like Full Impact Pro, Revolution Pro Wrestling, Progress Wrestling and Evolve.

If such a deal with various other companies like this did come about, then I don't see much of an argument against paying an additional $5 a month for all that additional content.

I love the idea of the different price plans. This should increase membership and that can only be a good thing. I would like to see ROH on the Network, but I would love to see TNA on the Network. My personal limit for the WWE Network is $20 a month. If the prices go any higher than $20 a month, then I’m just going to have to increase my limit. HAHA!! WWE is 2 sweet 4 life and if you’re not down with that, I’ve got 2 words for you…get it!!

It would be dumb for TNA, ROH, or any other indy not to team up with WWE if they were to do this. I think it would benefit everyone including Pro Wrestling in general which has been in a decline for awhile now. WWE would get an increase in subscribers with an added $5, the "indys" would get more exposure and introduce their brand to some that may not be familiar which will increase their attendance/interest, and finally you can ultimately do surprise appearances or 1 time appearances to boost attendance and the surprise effect which has been missing since WCW went under over 15 years ago. I really hope this happens since it will give young upcoming talent exposure which will be fun to see them develop over time, gives companies that are struggling added finances and exposure, and ultimately true pro wrestling fans who appreciate the different types of wrestling and gives them 1 network to watch it all.

It would be dumb for TNA and ROH to even be bought out by wwe just to suit your selfish satisfaction lol . Many hardcore fans of ROH and TNA don't want that or to be compared to walt Disney wrestling entertainment!Wrestling will be dead and mc moron will have that evil sinister laugh

There's quite a lot to this, I suspect.

I don't think it is a rumour any longer, the WWE have purchased the tape library of TNA. But the real question now remains of what they are going to actually do with the library. I have thought it very dubious that the WWE are going to try and promote a soon to be dead company, in order to get more subscriptions on the Network. The real question is why anyone should care about the tape library when there is no hope of it actually meaning anything. The casual fan is not going to care about TNA in any form. But a lot of people are interested in going back and watching some of the TNA highlights of the past. And that is where the WWE are going to exploit their new purchase.

With the new tier system, it is going to pay for the hardcore fan to pay another $5 to get access to the TNA stuff and, possibly, Ring of Honor too. This is smart business from the WWE, like them or not. There is going to minimal disruption from people who are happy with their $9.99 service but thy are going to squeeze some more money out of the people who are the true fans. Nothing wrong with that. And the tier system also, kinda, rewards people for putting a bit more money into the company. The inclusion of commercial breaks throughout shows is going to be a real kick in the buts for the people who choose to take the cheaper option.

For me, I still don't buy a lot of what is being said on wrestling websites. I don't think there is any chance that ROH gives away it's product on the WWE Network, even if it would be financially beneficial for both parties. ROH is a sovereign program that are nothing like the WWE and I have a feeling that some of the ROH die hard fans would resent ROH for falling under the umbrella of the WWE going forward.

That said, I would likely be willing to put the extra $5 into the WWE Network for all of the new content. But what about you? Do you think this is smart business, first of all? And beyond that, where do you see yourself fitting into this new tier system? And finally, do you think that ROH could find themselves in the mix?

It is a rumor still spreading longer and you keep mentioning it so where is the actual proof? Send me a link on any wrestling website but here that it mentions what you are saying. Not some but many of the ROH fans will resent and hate ROH for falling under the walt Disney wrestling entertainment umbrella if they go forward! You know all wwe ever did was buy his competitors out and wrestling will be dead and more fans will quit watching like the last ex WCW wrestling fans have.
Those who want to continue feeding mc moron the network while you can get it on DVDs and live streaming continue to do so

On reports of WWE potentially purchasing TNA, Carter acknowledged WWE wanted to purchase the company, but she said she would not let that happen. She added the TNA tape library is still under TNA ownership.

Read Also: Backstage Update on TNA’s Future Following Bound for Glory, Latest on a Possible TNA Sale, Billy Corgan & WWE

Carter also reaffirmed that she is still the majority share holder in TNA, but she did say there has been some “in-fighting” and power struggle amongst company owners.

With regards to Bound for Glory, Carter admitted the company “scrambled” leading up to the PPV, but said the PPV was never “not going to happen.”

Overall, Carter reportedly acted surprised that people in TNA were so “up in arms” about the status of the company, but she did apologize if there has been concern or worry on behalf of talents and employees. At the end of the day, the general feeling in the locker room is that while there remains concern regarding the future of the company, there was respect for Carter stepping up and addressing the locker room.

It is a rumor still spreading longer and you keep mentioning it so where is the actual proof? Send me a link on any wrestling website but here that it mentions what you are saying. Not some but many of the ROH fans will resent and hate ROH for falling under the walt Disney wrestling entertainment umbrella if they go forward! You know all wwe ever did was buy his competitors out and wrestling will be dead and more fans will quit watching like the last ex WCW wrestling fans have.
Those who want to continue feeding mc moron the network while you can get it on DVDs and live streaming continue to do so

I leave with you what Dixie Carter commented last week

On reports of WWE potentially purchasing TNA, Carter acknowledged WWE wanted to purchase the company, but she said she would not let that happen. She added the TNA tape library is still under TNA ownership.

Carter also reaffirmed that she is still the majority share holder in TNA, but she did say there has been some “in-fighting” and power struggle amongst company owners.

With regards to Bound for Glory, Carter admitted the company “scrambled” leading up to the PPV, but said the PPV was never “not going to happen.”

Overall, Carter reportedly acted surprised that people in TNA were so “up in arms” about the status of the company, but she did apologize if there has been concern or worry on behalf of talents and employees. At the end of the day, the general feeling in the locker room is that while there remains concern regarding the future of the company, there was respect for Carter stepping up and addressing the locker room.

Read more at http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/761...s-tna-power-struggle-more#QTfOLGF4hQmjWmFM.99

You keep saying that you'll leave us with what Dixie Carter said last week, but then you keep coming back. :( The reason people are ignoring you is two-fold.

1) Dixie Carter has built up a reputation as being completely untrustworthy in her dealings with talent, the media, and TNA's fan base, so her public statements really don't register with anyone.
2) You've built up a reputation here as being a complete asshat, so your public statements really don't register with anyone.

Work on using complete sentences, drop the terrible name calling with the performers, and then you'll maybe possibly potentially be somewhat kinda close to the point where you can start posting material that might maybe possibly potentially convince people that you aren't completely, just mostly, an asshat.

I think this would be a tremendous thing for WWE, any indy promotions (TNA probably the least), and most importantly wrestling fans all around. Having a wrestling network that has WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA, ROH, AWA, Florida Championship Wrestling, World Class Championship Wrestling, and more, how could any true wrestling fan complain about this? How would WWE benefit from getting TNA and ROH on their network, some are asking? Um, hello, more subscriptions, more interest in the network. All of these indy fans that hate WWE but love TNA and/or ROH are gonna have to look into the Network now.

TNA, in it's next incarnation would not benefit much obviously as they lose their entire history, but it does give them a fresh start, and they can start as a new company. But ROH, they'd be crazy not to come up with a deal with WWE. I'm not saying they have to shut down like ECW and WCW did, or completely start over like TNA presumably will. Just come up to an agreement, where they get showcased on the Network (which will give them more exposure than they probably ever had), and in return, ROH can send some talent to some WWE shows. ROH and WWE can essentially have a similar relationship to what Vince and WWE had with Paul Heyman and ECW in the late 90's. Vince can help promote the company (ROH), while ROH can provide talent for WWE on special occasions. Cross-promotion basically. It's not out of the realm. Most people view Vince as never ever working with any other promotions, but it's not true. He didn't work with WCW or TNA, but those were companies that were seen as legit competition to him. But Vince has worked with others. Not only ECW, but he also worked with Jerry Lawler's USWA territory in the early-to mid 90's (Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Owen Hart, and even Vince himself appeared at some of their shows back in the day), and Vince has worked with New Japan on and off for years as well. I could easily see Vince working with ROH if it will benefit him.

Then there's also the fact that Triple H has more power than ever before and has proven that he doesn't have near the issues that Vince has sometimes had with working with other promotions. The thing is WWE is the king of pro wrestling, and it's unlikely that any other promotion in America will probably ever come close to challenging them again. WWE has nothing really to lose by working with other, smaller wrestling organizations anymore.

This would be a good thing for everyone.

Now moving to the different pricing packages, it makes good business sense. For those that don't want to pay $9.99 for the Network (which to me is absolutely stupid if you're a wrestling fan, $9.99 is a ridiculous bargain for all the Network provides, but some people are cheapskates and don't want to pay for absolutely anything lol), now there's two options. WWE can make more money, one by having a more expensive package (the $14.99 package), and also from more subscribers, as those that sign up for the free package or the $4.99 package will most likely not be current subscribers, so WWE can get more money from current subscribers that will upgrade to the $14.99 package (count me in on that), and get more subscribers who want to pay a little less. It's a win-win, once again.

But of all the news, you know what I'm the most excited about? Getting to vote in the WWE Hall of Fame! Yeah, I only get one vote, and even if it's in a Taboo Tuesday type format like someone suggested it would be, I would still be excited to get to vote on it. I'd be one small voice of many, but I still would get a voice in picking an inductee to the HOF. I'm more excited about that than anything.

Also getting first dibs on live event tickets is cool. It wouldn't effect me that much, because I get first dibs thanks to Live Nation and Ticketmaster, but it's still a basic cool feature to give to the fans. And changes for meet-and greets with wrestlers is always a good idea too. I'm guessing it would online-based, which be really cool, getting to have live web-cam chats with wrestlers would be pretty darn cool, getting to ask them questions and what not.

If I had gotten this survey from WWE, I would've said "Hell Yeah!" to all of this stuff.

I don't think there are much casuals that would pay 5$ extra to watch Indy wrestling.

They would probably them as inferior and won't care to watch.

Just WWE/WCW/ECW content alone is enough for a lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back