• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Where do you see WWE Network in 10 years?

Slbrey

Pre-Show Stalwart
In 10 years I see the WWE network the only place to watch shows like Smackdown and Main Event.

I see Raw staying on cable simply because it's the longest running cable show ever and it be foolish for them to pull the plug on it.

One interesting thing I personally see happening is WWE opening it's network doors to company's like TNA and ROH to host there weekly shows on the network and truely making it a one stop shop for all wrestling media that is if TNA even exists at that time and if it doesent then I'm positive WWE would buy the rights to there library and air that on the network.

Network really is going to change the way we view wrestling on a regular basis maybe not right away but I bet in 10 years the landscape will be a lot different then it is right now.

I'd say it's highly unlikely it will exist in 10 years, unless they have a massive price hike.

Ultimately, unless they provide a ton of exclusive new content (and I mean good content, not just shows that recap the Monday Night Wars for the umpteenth time) eventually all the people that have signed up in a year or two down the road will have gotten their fill.

I use this analog, its like someone who feels like their home HAS to have a swimming pool. At first they go swimming every single day, then once a week, once a month, once every 6 months, and before long it's just a pain in the ass that you have to scoop leaves out of and pay someone to come clean for you. At first, this is going to be the dream of every wrestling fan. Then we'll have seen all the exclusive new shows, we'll have relived all our favorite moments, and with the exception of PPVs the excitement will start to wear off. Except while that is happening all the boys will be getting massively screwed on their PPV pay offs when the membership starts to decrease.

WWE will get desperate, they will have a free one month of WWE network, with advertising on every video, this will boost the numbers for a month or two and then they will die off again.

Bottom line: there is absolutely NO WAY the $10 a month price tag sticks for more than a year or two tops, and when it goes up, people will bitch and cancel their subscriptions. I think this is a cool thing, but in the long run Vince will miss the big pay days that come from traditional PPV sales, the boys will miss their big WM payday, the fans will grow tired of paying $120 a year to watch the same PPVs they've already seen, and ultimately like many similar services over the years, it will eventually fade away.

Anyone remember Sega Channel?

The current price is worth it just for the ppvs alone. They only need a million subscribers to break even, that's not very many.

Plus, they literally add more content to their library each and every week. That's something that Netflix doesn't even do. They produce under a hundred hours of original programming per year. WWE produces hundreds of hours of original content every single year. While people might get tired of watching attitude era reruns or whatever, some people will not, others will like getting the new raws/sds on their time.

Where I see it in ten years is what it should be right now... Instead of rotating the library, they need to be focusing on putting up every single bit of footage they have on the network.

They have thousands upon thousands of hours wrestling footage from the 1950s to today. There is no reason a decade from now every bit of it can be digitized and placed on the network.

The network at that point would become the defacto choice for anyone wanting to watch professional wrestling history. If ESPN can dedicate an entire cable channel to ESPN classics, there is no reason why this will not be successful as watching a 30 year old wrestling match is a lot more entertaining than watching a 30 year old baseball game.

As long as they keep increasing the amount of content on the network, it will go as long as the company and the internet is around. If not, it'll go the way of the On Demand service. I want to be able to watch whatever show/match I want, when I want. I don't want to have to pick and choose based on what shows/matches they've offered this month.

If I want to see Graham vs Backlund, then watch Austin/HHH then watch Bryan/Cena, then Flair/Steamboat I should be able to. They have the content and all it takes is putting it online.

Raw and Smackdown go into a slump due to the lack of focus on wrestling and listening to the fans. Trying too hard to be entertaining and having movie like wrestling stars.

Vince resorts to putting them on the WWE Network because all the other networks dropped them. Raw draws 1.29 rating while Smackdown gets .69s. Vince McMahon just lets Triple H handle all the wrestling and gives up on everything except his network which is now his only REAL cash outlet. Vince resorts to giving other wrestling companies TV timeslots, and we have upwards of 10 promotions airing at different times on the same network.

I don't even believe in what I just wrote, I just thought it was an interesting direction to go. HAHA!

I think they'll let the price point get away from them, in much the same way that PPV rates have climbed over the years. They'll miss the fact that so many people subscribe to Netflix because the pricepoint is so miniscule that it lowers the barrier of entry to even try the product, and actively keeps people from cancelling the service even when they're unhappy because it's so cheap. However, I also think it will still be an incredible value once things like their Memphis tape library, old ECW Hardcore TV episodes that only ever aired in the local Philly market, and every episode of Raw and Smackdown make their way to the network. Toward this end, WWE will never need to reach out to other promotions like ROH or TNA as you mention, because the amount of wrestling history WWE owns is incredible. Plus it's doubtful WWE would ever dedicate time on their own resource that they built to another promotion, considering ROH is currently owned by Sinclair Broadcasting, and TNA is... well... TNA.

I think we'll also see a shift away from DVD/Blu Ray production and distribution. They will still film the material, but we could very likely see a world where this content is released exclusively on the Network. Look for them to test the waters with this by putting many of their most successful DVDs onto the Network first, and gauge their viewership popularity there. They already do this with many of their features on Netflix, and I wouldn't be surprised if their Netflix numbers influenced their decision to go with a streaming solution. I could see a case for where they stop shipping content on disc entirely, cutting out the overhead of physical production and distribution in favor of their new all digital all streaming model.

I, for one, am elated that they went the streaming app model. I didn't want another channel, and neither did the cable carriers. I cut the cord ages ago, and I'm not going back. Further, I was never able to watch Smackdown (or more recently Main Event) in the history of ever, because I never lived in a market that carried a UPN, My Network TV, or any other network affiliate channel they aired it on. I immediately signed up for Hulu after they inked their deal with WWE, and was happy I finally had a consistent place to watch Smackdown for once in my life, plus NXT and Main Event. But I didn't care about any of the rest of the content on Hulu, I was literally only subscribed for the WWE shows. A WWE centric streaming solution I can subscribe to and stream is exactly in my wheelhouse.

I think the biggest question is how this is going to affect PPVs and booking moving forward. Booking a WWE show has really evolved right alongside the evolution of the 12 PPVs/yr model. When you go back and watch old WWF content from before Wrestlemania I even, it was a different show. The pacing was different, the builds and what was expected by a crowd at a show was different. Then Wrestlemania happened, then they started doing a few other bigger shows with bigger cards throughout the year, and really built the PPV model that companies like UFC enjoy to this day. Then a weekly fixture TV show in Monday Night RAW. Then WCW came along with Nitro and started running PPVs in the same months WWF would. More PPV shows per year, more TV, and more competition changed the pacing and the complexion of the product as a whole. Now we're all used to the three weeks of build up to a monthly event model, as that has been the status quo for over two decades now.

But the Network will inevitably have an affect on this. The entire concept of a PPV kind of falls apart when all content on the Network is PPV in the sense that you have to pay to access any of it, and the current PPVs are all included in the price going forward. Plus, if the Network takes off as I expect it will, I fully believe the PPV carriers will drop WWE content out of some misguided spite for daring to trying to invent a new business model that cuts them out of the picture. Or perhaps WWE will see the strength of their initiative proves they don't need them, and themselves stop running PPVs entirely in the old way, moving that content exclusively to their own Network. Either way, I think this is going to have some eventual effect in how the big PPV events are presented and run.

In the current model, you build to the monthly event and you run 12 of them a year, because that's where the money lies. Selling higher priced tickets and a large one time viewing fee to convert the free TV viewers in to paying customers once every month. However, in a model where you have a larger pool of people paying $10/mo for all of your content, the necessity for a big show every month dissipates. With something like the Network in play, do you even need to run 12 big events a year anymore? Especially when only four of them traditionally do huge numbers, and the rest can literally be considered filler PPVs because that's just the cycle they built themselves in to competing against WCW. Is it even cost effective for the WWE to run 12 PPVs a year? One could argue that the cost of trying to ramp up to running more PPVs in a calendar year is part of what put a financial strain on ECW, leading to their eventual demise. The perception at the time was they needed to run more PPVs and TV to compete, but it wasn't financially viable in the end. Or look at TNA, who has been in the process of scaling down their PPV offerings, because it literally isn't cost effective for them to even try to put on 12 live shows a year on PPV. Perhaps in the wake of the Network's launch, WWE finds the same to be true, and runs less big events stateside, in order to focus more time on running shows internationally where they are drawing bigger and bigger gates with every tour.

I imagine this line of thinking is what has current wrestlers on the roster worried about compensation moving forward, since traditionally bonuses and pay rates have been tied to your position on the card and appearance on the PPVs. And the reason we keep hearing about management cancelling and moving the meetings to discuss the ramifications of the Network and pay is because they may not know either. I can only postulate that the Network will inevitably have an affect on the PPV schedule going forward, but I can't really begin to predict what the future will hold. It's pretty uncharted territory at this point. Exciting to me as a customer in the value contained in the product as presented, but I can understand the questions and worry coming from the locker room regarding the shift.

We live in interesting times, that's for sure.

It's a step into the next generation of media but with all revolutions there's mid steps that don't make it to the end game. IE laser disc. The era of subscription television is very soon coming to an end and and things like hulu/netflix are proving that. Individual content is the next step but there's no way people are going to pay premium for all their preferred content. The reason people moved to on demand subscriptions is because bulks packages force you to pay a lot for things you don't want, and while currently it is a bit cheaper to get want the next step is to pay for singular things. The thing that TV producers need to realize is that people aren't going to pay $2 or whatever it may be per show because by the time they build their own channel and fill it out it's more expensive than a cable subscription. The days of paying a premium for TV are over thanks to youtube. They're popular youtube channels that kill most TV shows in terms of weekly views and while they make some good money they're not garnering near the "talent overhead" that television does. Sooner or later advertising companies are really going to question the viability of traditional television and on demand television vs these outlets. When that happens TV is going to fall flat on it's face. Media is based around grossly overpaid people and the distribution outlets have been using that as justification to overcharge consumers for over half a century now. And while I can give things like wrestling and pro sports the edge as far garnering more than regular television simply because they're traveling spectacles and that aspect does add to the entertainment value, it's nowhere near enough to justify $10 a month. In fact I think if WWE intends to continue to put out a high quantity of content they're going to end up having to go the tna route of taking a lot of their shows off the road. You can see the start of this televising FCW from the same place weekly. It's just not feasible to have half a dozen traveling shows weekly and expect to people to continue to pay a premium for similar content. I very much see them broadcasting a lot of stuff like like SMS and ME from studio sets somewhere down the line.

People keep saying they need a million to break even but for a lot of reasons that number is a bit.

Firstly, If every single buyer of PPVs stopped and bought the network they would still only need about 850,000-900,000. Average PPV buys are around 200,000 I figure and multiply that by 43-45, the cost of the PPV (Some buy in non HD which I have seen on some to cost less).

Second, that number is only useful if every single person buys the network. Some people will still buy PPVs, considering only one major company talked about dropping it I feel they assume they'll retain enough buys to warrant keeping them. And for every PPV buy outside the network that's equivalent to 4.5 or so people buying the network for that PPV. So if even 25,000 keep buying PPVs that's another 112,000 or so network buys they dont need for that month.

Third. I feel bars/group showings will still buy up PPVs because I doubt they would want to bother with the hassle of buying a machine to attach to every TV capable of playing it, which will result in further buys which makes the need less and less.

Overall I think the break even number for PPVs outside of Mania is closer to 700,000-750,00. Which is a lot easier to reach

Hard to say.

I'd say a large majority of the audience only gives a damn about stuff from their childhood, whether that may be from the 70's, 80's, or 90's.

I'm sure by a few years time, they will have gotten their fix, and unless the WWE has another boom in the next decade where people just can't get enough, eventually people are just gonna cut it off.

The fact that you have to sign up 6 months at a time works in WWE's favor though.

People keep saying they need a million to break even but for a lot of reasons that number is a bit.

Overall I think the break even number for PPVs outside of Mania is closer to 700,000-750,00. Which is a lot easier to reach

We'll never know all the numbers involved, after fees they pay to the PPV providers, et all. But one also has to consider if they get between 750 thousand and 1 million subscribers over the whole year, that has to be a net gain versus doing a million Wrestlemania PPV buys and only a few hundred thousand Over the Limit PPV buys.

A lower price point is going to engender more sales to a wider audience over more time, versus their current approach of popping the big four PPVs for huge numbers and doing pretty lackluster on the other eight events on the calendar year. The key is getting people hooked on the system and keeping their sub up. I think that's why you're seeing it launch with a six month commitment and a low monthly price, to hook people early and keep them on the take for six months to convince them of the power in the system, and generate more smaller money over time instead of big dollars in less frequent intervals.

Toward this end, it would be interesting to see WWE take a club approach to the WWE Network, kinda like GameStop's PowerUp Rewards program. Offer a free tier with rotating free content, and next day Raw and Smackdown. Paid membership gets you the whole hog of content, plus merch discounts, live event discounts or preferred seating, or throw in a WWE Magazine subscription. Add perceived value to the benefits of membership, while simultaneously encouraging members to continue spending money on WWE products and services.

10 years to see anything is a bit of a stretch. But,in 10 years first of all,not only do i think the network will be around,this will set the benchmark for all-time. They say,the WWE needs a million people to break even. That is very easy to do IMO! But the 10 dollar price tag,will go up in about a year or two! I truly dont think it will go any higher than 20 one day even at 20 its still a deal for all the stuff they offer and will offer.

I read an interview that Dana white frowned on Vince's idea about the network. Vince has the bald headed bastard shaking in his boots otherwise why would Uncle Dana chime in? But the network is a genius idea and will succeed

I read an interview that Dana white frowned on Vince's idea about the network. Vince has the bald headed bastard shaking in his boots otherwise why would Uncle Dana chime in? But the network is a genius idea and will succeed

I doubt Dana is scared. He was asked a question and answered it. He does that a lot. About Lesnar, about Punk, and his relationship with Vince.

UFC operates on a totally different model than WWE. 1) They don't have thousands upon thousands of hours of fights. 2) They can't produce new, weekly programming without completely watering down their talent pool even more. Wrestlers can wrestle 200+ days a year. A UFC fighter is lucky if he can get in 4-5 fights a year. UFC lives for their ppv buys and gains extra from whatever TV deal they can score as most of their television programs aren't real fights (TUF) or replays. Now WWE lives for their television programs and the ppv money is their extra. I'm sure you heard the Nascar like deal WWE is looking at getting. That's $8 billion, with a B, over 10 years or $800,000,000 a year. Even if every single ppv drew a million buys, that would still be less than half off what they'll get from TV.

Now if you combine the Network money at even a million subscribers for a year is $120,000,000. Add that to the TV money and you got close to a billion. Add in the merchandise, licensing, gate and you're well over that.

The UFC cannot follow that model, it would be impossible to do so. The WWE network doesn't spell the end to traditional PPV, it just spells the end to traditional ppv in wrestling, as the other companies will not be able to get people to pay $30-$50 for one show when they can pay $60 for 6 ppvs and unlimited viewing of countless hours of programming.

The UFC is going quite well. They still get solid ppvs buys (solid, not great) and have a lucrative deal with Fox for television. They aren't hurting by any stretch of the imagination. The UFC has imitated WWE quite well, buying up competition, monopolizing the industry, and black listing anyone that speaks out against them. Dana learned a lot from Vince, some would say too much, but despite being similar are in completely opposite industries with very different business models.

Starbucks has an excellent business model, but not necessarily one that Applebees would like to follow as it wouldn't work in their specific industry.

10 years to see anything is a bit of a stretch. But,in 10 years first of all,not only do i think the network will be around,this will set the benchmark for all-time. They say,the WWE needs a million people to break even. That is very easy to do IMO! But the 10 dollar price tag,will go up in about a year or two! I truly dont think it will go any higher than 20 one day even at 20 its still a deal for all the stuff they offer and will offer.

It's a deal if you consider what they offer to be worth it's current price...it's not. If you think PPVs are fairly priced you're insane. PPVs even at they're peak are still just an amped up versions of regular TV. If you look at the true cost of the TV product weighed in the bulk packaged it comes with you'll see the real world economic value of the wwe is very low. PPVs are hundred if not thousands of percent higher than what the TV product costs, now ask yourself if the PPVs are that much better than the TV product? This valuation is purely the naivity of the wrestling community there's no other price gouging tolerated like this elsewhere in media.

There's no guarantee that the WWE Network will be around in 10 years. It's still in its very earliest phases of launch right now, so it's definitely one of those "don't count your chickens before they've hatched" situations at this point. If WWE is able to garner the 1 to 2 million subscribers its hoping for in 2014, is able to not only keep those numbers up but add to them over the next couple of years, then I think things will be rock solid. In time, I have a feeling that the WWE Network will be divided up in various package deals like you see with cable & satellite companies. As long as the prices aren't unreasonable, that probably won't pose much of a problem. But, for all I know at this time, they might just stick with a flat rate of $10 a month indefinitely.

As for Raw & SmackDown!, I think major networks will always be willing to pay big money for them as long as they continue to draw. When it comes to USA, Raw has been the most consistently big drawing show in its history. SmackDown! has been #1 on Syfy since it began airing. By the time you factor in DVR viewership, Raw & SmackDown! typically draw somewhere around & sometimes in excess of 5 million & 3 million viewers in the states respectively, though those numbers can vary depending on the time of year. For a show on cable that airs new episodes each week, those are very strong numbers and TV executives LOVE to have shows on their networks that can produce with such consistency.

If the WWE Network is around in 10 years and it has...I dunno...10 or 15 million subscribers, then I suppose it's possible that Raw & SD! could ultimately be moved there. I wouldn't count on it, however, because, as I said, top networks are going willing to pay big money for the type of consistent ratings WWE TV brings in. Why give something away for next to nothing when someone's willing to fork over a fortune?

It hasn't even launched yet and you're already predicting it's outcome 10 years down the line? Seems silly to me. What if it debuts to crickets? Maybe for the first year all they get is 100k subscribers? It'll be more of a dud than Ryback's career. What if it debuts in the first year to 4 million subscribers? Maybe Vinnie Mac will come personally blow you at your front door to thank you. But for argument sake...

I believe it will be around 10 years from now. They're already saying how this model may revolutionize the way we consume our media. Look at cable companies. How much do you pay for a cable service per month when you watch maybe 6 different channels? I'd gladly pay 15 bucks a month for a certain channel. I could get through life with 5 channels. CBS, NBC, and Fox for Football... Root Sports for my Pittsburgh Pirates and Penguins, and some form of ESPN. And I wouldn't even have them all year. Look at everything that's consumed through the internet right now. You can watch shows on websites like CBS, NBC, etc... Hell... you can watch the entire Olympics through USA's website. I don't think it will happen soon, but cable will be a thing of the past. On Demand content will be where it's at... and the WWE Network is sort of the guinea pig. Yes you have Netflix and Hulu, but that's not all for one specific type of media. The WWE is only going to give you WWE. So maybe down the line... you'll have that from the NFL, MLB, etc... Honestly, if the WWE Network is a success, look for many different channels to take their model from the WWE Network. Even the people that reviewed CES said that the WWE was the biggest winner of CES which really says something.

There are a lot of smart people on this board... but I truly don't think some people truly see how revolutionary the WWE Network really is to us. It is going to set the pace for a new business model and like I said before... has the potential to totally change how we consume our media. Look out world... because I think the WWE Network is going to blow you away.

I think the idea of the WWE Network is brilliant. It's essentially the Netflix of wrestling. With the worldwide fanbase of WWE so vast it is conceivable that they could pull in money that they never would have made with their current business model. I sure as hell know I wasn't dishing out 40-60 dollars except once a year for the Royal Rumble.

Instead of advertising to buy the ppv, the pressure for WWE will be to put on entertaining shows monthly to keep fans subscribed and keep finding more subscribers. You know Cole is ready to shill that network away.

In ten years, I don't think the network will be an XFL type failure. I see it as keeping up with the times as the overpriced ppv market isn't and hasn't been WWEs answer in a long time.

I see WWE Network as the future and being a success in 2024; although I bet it will have changed a great deal anyway by then. WWE makes most of their money from TV distribution rights and merchandising. I can see WWE network having 3 tiers of service eventually - one where you pay for one off events rather than a subscription. The next will be one they have now, but I predict within 2 years they will add a 3rd where you have to pay extra for WM but as a catch; they will throw in live Raw and Smackdown broadcasts (I say within 2 years- that would depend on TV markets such as USA Network (USA), Sky TV (UK) Sky Deutschland (Germany), FOX8 (Australia) and so on allowing them to offer this as they won't pay the license fees for the rights if even a relatively small percentage of their potential viewers are watching WWE Raw on the WWE Network instead of theirs.

On second thoughts.. perhaps WWE Network will end up as an on demand service for old wrestling events like WWE classics technically was. Lets hope it doesn't end up like the XFL and WWE Studios.

It very well is in line with one the new model for consuming media, but is by no means setting the price. It can go in at $10 a month initially because it's one of the first of it's kind. Everything on the cutting edge can charge a lot initially until everything else catches up. When this becomes the new model and people get exactly the channels they want, you'll end up paying the same for 5 channels now that you do for 300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back