Popular/Critically Acclaimed Movies that you hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpsons_fanatic742

WZPC Intercontinental Champion
There are alot of movies that are popular among the masses and also movies that are acclaimed by movie critics. What movies, that fall into these categories, do you generally dislike, hate, or think there is too much hype on?

I'll name one to get the ball rolling, Napoleon Dynamite. I have no idea why this movie was so popular. I watched this movie and did not even crack a smile once, absolutely trash. The character of Napolean Dynamite was boring, uninteresting, sad, pathetic, and severely annoying. The whole point of the movie is lost on me and I just can't see what makes this movie so popular. Is there something I missed that makes this movie good? Probably not because there is no redeeming factor in this movie, not Pedro, not Napolean, not his brother, nothing.

Your turn...remember this is the non-spam version so explanations on why you chose your movies are required.

There are alot of movies that are popular among the masses and also movies that are acclaimed by movie critics. What movies, that fall into these categories, do you generally dislike, hate, or think there is too much hype on?

I'll name one to get the ball rolling, Napoleon Dynamite. I have no idea why this movie was so popular. I watched this movie and did not even crack a smile once, absolutely trash. The character of Napolean Dynamite was boring, uninteresting, sad, pathetic, and severely annoying. The whole point of the movie is lost on me and I just can't see what makes this movie so popular. Is there something I missed that makes this movie good? Probably not because there is no redeeming factor in this movie, not Pedro, not Napolean, not his brother, nothing.

Your turn...remember this is the non-spam version so explanations on why you chose your movies are required.

I second that opinion on Napoleon Dynamite. It had moments, but overall i felt it tried TOO hard for laughs and kept stressing the jokes it was trying to make, thus making things that were funny at the beginning just very unfnny by the end of the movie.

Throwing another popular comedy at there, Superbad. It might be the same case with Napoleon Dynamite. I had heard for months how funny the movie was, and grew annoyed by the quoting of the movie long before i even saw it. The whole McLovin gag was kinda funny at first, by at first i mean when the joke first played out on screen. But they kept at it. I got it, he's akward and nerdy. I find it unfunny in the same way i find the whole ''goofy white guy tries to be hood and gangsta'' gag. The movie had moments for sure, but overall i thought it was overhyped and i think people were looking for this generations Animal House or Porky's.

Mulholland Drive. The movie was critically acclaimed, and the only part that every really interested me was seeing a chick play the dj on her twat. Lynch does nothing for me in this film, the only reason I watched it was because it was on a preview for a movie channel we got, and lets just say I never watched that shit again.

I saw this movie years ago when all the critics were slobbering all over it and saying how amazing it was and it was up for a lot of awards and that movie is Lost In Translation. For the life of me i have no idea what the big deal about this movie is. I love Bill Murray and Scarlett Johanson but even they couldn't save this piece of crap movie for me.

This movie was the most boring and lame piece of crap that i have ever seen i mean i almost fell asleep during this movie and so did the other people i saw it with they all hated it to. I mean the only people who could possibly like this movie are boring ass wipes. The whole time i had no idea what was going on and then at the end of the movie he whispers something to her and you never find out what he said and it just drove me crazy i hate it when movies do that leave you with more questions then answers.

Fight Club. Without going into any of the details, all I will say is that it is ridden with plotholes, and it is neither funny, dramatic nor clever. I genuinely had no idea that anybody seriously thought it was good until a couple of years after I saw it, and I couldn't believe it.

There are plenty of other "classic" flims that I think are shit, but that one is probably the worst. That being said, everything that M Night Shymalan has ever made is fucking attrocious, with the possible exception of the 6th sense.

One movie that gets so many rave reviews is Wall*E, and I can't stand the movie. Watching it was one of the most boring experiences of my life and to see that so many rate it so high is beyond my reasoning. Usually people make the case of it having a great message and being "deep", but for me it was simply boring. Not to mention there are other movies with the same message that don't get as much praise. I thought "9" gave the message and was still fun to watch, but you don't hear much about it compared to Wall*E.

American Beauty. I damn near walked out of the theater. It got 5 stars I couldn't believe it. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Oh a bag floating around in the breeze is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen... Are you kidding me? Get a life. It's boring, slow and depressing. Yeah, an older married man wants to have sex with a cheerleader, big surprise. Welcome to earth. And his daughter feels socially awkward. Welcome to the rest of the coming of age teenage movies. There is nothing special about it. It's like they took a spoof comedy and put it on depression pills.

The Godfather is supposed to be a classic, and I loved the book, but I couldn't stay awake during the movie.

Spiderman 3 was also quite horrible. Watched that one on fast forward.

Probably the only movie I couldn't sit through just due to not being able to stand it? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I've heard so many good things about it, and I liked the premise when I first heard of it, but I couldn't get to the end.

The one movie I've seen that I absolutley cannot stand is Freddy Got Fingered. It's one of the worst movies ever made, bar none. I was a little skeptical about it cause Tom Green was in it, but my friends had been raving about it for so long, and telling me how funny it was, I didn't laugh once.

Guess Who (2005)

So, I was at my aunt's house and my cousin was raving about this movie. She kept going on about how it was funny and really good. Well, that was the last time I listen to her reviews for a movie. :banghead:

This move was prolly the most boring movie I have ever seen in my life. I know it was a remake, but it didn't suck because it was a remake. It sucked because the acting was uninspiring, the conclusion was a predictable as forecasting weather in Arizona in July, and for two "funny" lead actors, there was nothing funny about the movie.

Coraline (2009)

I was watching my niece and she wanted to watch it. I was game because I enjoy animated movies.. I know I said Guess Who was the most boring movie I have ever seen, but this one is a VERY close second.

The animation was okay, but if you have ever seen The Nightmare Before Christmas, you will realize that the animation seemed average. The voice acting couldn't have sounded more monotonous and bored if they tried. The plot was a typical children's story plot, but I feel it wasn't interesting at all.

There are just 3 movies that i can't stand even watching it for like 10 minutes

1. the Stranger- stone cold's lastest movie that was released to dvd, i like him in damage and the commdemed but Stranger i only watched 30 minutes and i was lost. I couldn't understand the plot line, what it was about or anything the only thing i saw was a man running from the law.

2. From Hell- Johnny Depp and Heather Gram i liked both of them, Johnny is one of my favorite actors and Heather Gram is fucking hot as hell and she plays a prostitute which should have been awesome movie and it was around the time of Jack the ripper, which was really cool because i really do like history. After i saw the movie and realized that nothing was right with the time line in history about it. They also said that Jack was an old crazy man, i see that can't be true, Jack need to be an older man but not a man in his 50's or 60's.

3. Ready to Rumble- orginally i thought this movie was funny and awesome until what happened around it in WCW and I think we all know and remember what happened after this stupid movie came out. God do i hate David Arquette for that movie and what he did to the World title, a belt that Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes and Sting. Just seeing his name in the record books as a former world champion makes me sick to my stomach in fact after that happened i have never watched a David Arquette movie since and i never will

A movie i cant to watch is avatar even though is it the best selling movie of all time i have seen it over and over and i just cant stand that the poeple are blue. It is still hard for me to understand how this movie became the best selling movie of all time.

Taxi Driver. It just wasn't my cup of tea as I have said in other threads. I just could not get into it to save my life. De Niro was alright but not as great as everyone had made him out to be. The movie was long as hell. I don't like Jodi Foster at all. And I just didn't enjoy the way the movie flowed. Just my opinion, but I didn't enjoy and still don't enjoy this movie at all.

Taking the literal meaning of this thread means choosing a movie that was considered great by public response and industry acclamation. By that standard, my pick for a great movie I couldn't stand is "Lawrence of Arabia."

The film was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and won 7 of them. It also won Golden Globe honors........yet, it bored the living hell out of me. The movie was 3 1/2 hours long and starred Peter O'Toole who seemed to be almost comatose in his performance.

Did people consider it great because they had been told to think so? Or were they seeing something I wasn't? Actually, I shouldn't be judging it at all since I've never been able to watch the whole film.

Titanic

I have tried to watch this movie time and time again and can't get past the first 20 minutes. I already know the plot and everything that happens, but somehow that doesn't speed it up. And it's BORING!!!! Everyone says how great a movie it is, but I can't see how it is. Maybe because I'm 15 and can't give a fuck about dramas, but I can't sit through this movie.

Romeo and Julliet. I don't even know if it's spelt right but it doesn't matter it was dire. A modern day remaked just made the story look petty and rather lame. I found myself dozing off throughout points in the film.

The 6th Sense

I'll be up for watching it and then I think what's the point. I know what the ending is already. I try to convince myself that it's worth watching because it'll be a fun ride to see how they there but I just can't. The whole thing just ends up being pointless. The whole point of the movie is to build up to the twist, and if I already know what the twist is, then what's the point in going through 2 hours to see that twist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back