Movies that are over quoted

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDYjon22

Nome is where your heart is
If you are reading this post then odds are you have seen a film at some point in your life. And if you have seen a film then you may have picked up a quote from it. Many movies have given us viewers awesome quotes that we either keep to ourselves or say over and over again. The basis of this thread is to talk about some of those films that are over quoted. This seems to happen with comedies quiet a bit and I would be lying if I didn't admit I was a culprit of this as well.

What is a movie that you find to be completely over quoted. It doesn't have to be a bad thing that a movie is over quoted. I love quoting movies but I do probably do it way to much and after awhile it does tend to make a movie more boring. For me the movie that is over quoted in my life is pretty simple. Super Troopers. I absolutely love this movie but I also quote it way to often. I at one time probably could have quote a good two, thirds of the film which is also probably why I have refrained from watching Super Troopers for a few months now.

What are some other movies that over quoted?

A lot of the time the over quoted movies for me seem to be comedies, especially geared towards 16-26 year olds that have come out over the past 10 years. When I was in middle school, it was the Austin Powers movies that were overquoted to hell. now that we move on through the years, movies such as Borat, Napoleon Dynamite, and now The Hangover have picked up that pace, having nearly a dozen lines that are quoted often by people over and over againl

Agreeing with TM, alot of the overly quoted movies tend to be comedies. Hearing "Let's make a sexy time!" and "You gonna eat those tots?" so many times killed both movies for me. It's like hearing a song on the radio. The first time, it's not half bad. Then after it everytime you turn on the radio, you want to rip your ears off, or at least I do.

Easily "The Dark Knight". FUCKING EVERYBODY says "WHY SO SERIOUS?" on a goddamn daily basis where I live. Not only just that quote, but anything The Joker did in that movie is constantly over quoted. That is why, I refuse to watch it anymore, because IF I do, all I hear for the next week is "Why So Serious?" or some other fuckin' quote...

I've seen this movie about 20 times, but I can't stand it when people ALWAYS feel the need to quote Scarface(1983). I seriously feel like punching one of my friends in the face when he says, "Say hello to my little friend!" or "Don't fuck me, Tony....Don't you ever try to fuck me." If it's not my friend, then it's other friends, family or people I work with. I love this movie, but you don't have to quote it almost every day.

Ugh, Scraface is a perfect example of the awful overuse of lines that aren't that good anyway from a film I honestly thought sucked. It's one thing if you over-quote a GREAT film (Godfather, Bronx Tale, etc.) but not friggin Scarface.

Fight Club had that problem for a while. I have a good friend named Tyler, and snot-nosed punk ass kids always used to ask him "is your last name Durden?" thinking they were funny but not realizing they were pricks with generic humor. Not to mention how many times I've been talking about something and been told that rule #1 is not to talk about it. You know rule number 2? No? SHUT THE FUCK UP! Class dismissed.

Office Space is over quoted, but deserves it. It's a quotable film. I just really wish people would stop hearing me tell them I am crazy busy at work and respond with "We're gonna have to ask you to come in on Saturday..." At least be original.

Overquoted movies? Gee...there are so many in history.. my picks would be

Dumb and Dumber "I like it a-lot" "Austria? Well then, let's put another shrimp on the barbie!" "Nice hooters." girl- "Excuse me?" "The owls, they're beautiful."
Poltergeist "They're heeeere!"
also from poltergeist "This house is clean."

People can't forget the Star Wars crap "May the force be with you..." "Luke, I am your father..." etc...

Definitely some top quoted movies discussed already, Whether IC25 likes Scarface or not you can't deny that the movie is one of the most quoted of all time, there are numerous movies that even quote it!!

I would say Grandma's boy is another that gets quoted alot, its one of those movies that once one person says a line from it, you end up going back and fourth untill the whole movie is recited.

As someone has stated there are heaps of movies that are over quoted, ill give 3 examples.

Borat, yes the movie was funny but if i was getting sick of the "very nice" and the trying to copy Sacha doing the Kazakhstan accent.

Any movie quote from Arnold Schwarzenegger, i don't mind the quotes itself but the way people try and do it. They look like idiots and should just give up on life.

And "Gosh", "vote for Pedro".....Fuck Pedro. That is all.

And i would rather smell of bacon in the morning instead of napalm. Ok that quote isn't that overused but i just wanted people to know that i like the smell of bacon in the morning.

First of all I loved the intro Indy did. "Then you may have seen a movie before" :lmao:

But some over-quoted movies are Terminator, Napoleon Dynamite, and of course, the new favorite The Hangover.

After Hangover came out, nobody says "******" any more without adding "a" into. I thought the movie was okay and that was a very small part that I don't know why people even quote that part so much. I really hate some movies that get quoted beyond belief, maybe that's why Hangover got an average from me.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is quoted in almost every class I have ever had. No matter if it was high school, college, or other classes. The teacher calls the roll and if someone isn't answering the teacher says Bueller... Bueller.. That was maybe amusing 25 years ago, but not now.

Anchorman and Napolean Dynamite are two of the most over quoted movies of all time. Anchorman was an okay movie though mildly overrated, but Napolean Dynamite is probably my least favorite movie of all time. Anytime I hear somebody say ''goosh'' or any other stupid fucking quote from that awful movie my hands twitch and I want to punch them in the neck. Hell, I think even for people that liked that 2 hour piece of shit have grown tired of it's stupid dailogue. I honestly liked Borat a lot and thought it was pretty smart comedy, but it too had a period of time where you couldn't go a single day without somebody doing a shit impression of him. It didn't last nearly as long as either of the other two films I mentioned though.

I happen to find both Terminator and Terminator 2 over quoted. Still to this day I hear people saying "I'll be back", or "Hasta La Vista...Baby", or even "No Problemo" way to much. They are good lines in all, but damn it let something stay a classic line. If I hear those lines then I will want to see those movies even though I personally love T2. Bottom line. SHUT THE FUCK UP!

I think TM got it right. Comedies targeted at the Teenage/Frat Boy/Young Adult type are often over quoted because these People are the main users of Social networking sites Facebook, Myspace, Twitter etc. Due to this quotes just keep spreading and spreading.

the hangover is extremly overquoted it was funny as shit dont get me wrong but damn it seems like every word spoken in the movie has a fan page on facebook

but im guilty of using anchorman quotes IT SMELLS LIKE BIGFOOTS DICK LMFAO

Kenny Powers, I am in love with your signature.

Okay had to get that out of the way. The most over quoted movies that I have come across so far is The Highlander's "There Can Be Only One." Taxi Driver's "You Talking to Me?" and The Dark Knight's "Why So Serious?'

Back in the 90's you couldn't go anywhere without hearing the infamous words "Run Forrest Gump, run!!" thanks to the same respected movie. And remember "I have GOT to get me one of these!!"? All thanks to Independence Day. "Show Me The Money!" <--Jerry Maguire folks. Wonder if anyone remembers "What does Marcellus Wallace look like?" God I love me some Pulp Fiction.

Over quoted movies are turning into an internet meme recently, thanks to 300's "THIS IS SPARTA!!" and like above, The Dark Knight.

"Yo Adrian, I did it!!!"

"I see dead people"

And one more for the road, "TONY STARK BUILT THIS IN A CAVE!!!!" Honestly that one is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I was wondering, by over quoted do you mean overusing a certain quote, or lots of quotes from the movie being used. I'm assuming that it is the former though.

Now, I'm going to say that comedies are easily the most quoted movies, especially ones involving Will Ferrell for some reason. Anchorman, Step Brothers, Semi Pro. All movies where quotes are constantly being spat out by the teenage/ young adult demograph. However, I can't stand his work. Just despise it. Hence, I refuse to say anything from these movies, and haven't even bothered watching Step Brothers yet.

However, I am guilty of quoting movies, I will admit. But there are quotable movies that are very rarely actually quoted. Dark Knight still remains one of the most quotable movies ever, and while it's mainly only "Why so serious" that is repeated, I find a lot more lines in that movie a lot more entertaining.

The Big Lebowski is another one. One of my friends is constantly butting into conversations and annoying the fuck out of me trying to catch up. I just tell him to shut the fuck up, you're out of your element or the world doesn't stop and start for you. I paraphrase aswell, keep it fresh.

I don't know about over quoted, but I do know about ones that make me so embarrassed sometimes. Like for example the quote from Bruce Almighty "Excuse me ma'am I need a spoo-ah" is used by my friend Larry everytime we're out after a movie or something.

And then there's one that my girlfriend uses "It's my bar of chocolate and I want it now!" from the original Willie Wonka and the Chocolate factory referring to me being the bar of chocolate... although, I must admit it's kind of cute sometimes.

Although I will admit, I do quote Friday with "You got knocked the fuck out!" whenever I'm playing Fight Night or UFC Undisputed. It's actually quite funny to say. Sure, it's not a quote used often nowadays, but I use it. So I guess it's one that's kind of over used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back