Point/Counterpoint: Should WWE have held off on Cena/Punk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSN80

King Of The Ring
I want to look at the Cena/Punk feud from both sides of the coin, looking at why holding off on Punk and Cena would have been a good decision, and why it's best to do it now.

Why the feud should have waited:​

1. How can they top this at Summerslam?: If Punk is truly leaving right after MITB, he's done WWE a solid by delivering the best mic work of his career over the past few weeks. John Cena has dropped the happy go lucky, joke telling Cena in favor of a more serious persona as well, and he's really delivered some of his best work as well. Add in the dimension of Vince into this as an essential Wild Card, and its the most anticipated macth in WWE since Taker/HBk at WM 26. The problem is, how can they top it? While Del Rio has been pushed lately, a Cena/Del Rio match wouldnt do much for me in comparison. The only macth that could come close would be Cena and Rey, which would make for a dynamic face vs face matchup, but would ultimately pale in comparison to Punk and Cena in terms of build. If WWE thinks they can coast because Summerslam is part of their "Big Four", they need to look no further then the buyrates for Survivor Series the past 2 years, which has a deeper tradition then Summerslam, but has bombed miserably. Vince and co. should be offerring Punk the world to stay through Summerslam.

2. MITB sells itself: Money in the Bank was the sixth largest grossing PPV of 2010. It was barely nudged out by Survivor Series, and was beaten handily by Summerslam, Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, and Wrestlemania 26. Of all the new PPV's WWE rolled out in 2010, it was easily the highest grossing, and neither title match had a "must see" feel to it. Sheamus and Cena and Swagger vs Rey were good matches, but not ones that would draw huge numbers on their own. The appeal is the 2 ladder matches, which provides the opportunity for amazing high spots and a direction of where the title pictures are headed in the foreseable future. The ladder matches themselves are what truly draws that PPV, and while Punk/Cena is a welcome addition, its not a necessary one that couldnt wait until Summerslam.

3. The ability for a longer build: To me, there has been so much thrown out there within the past few weeks that could have been accounted for in the span of two months. Punk getting suspended after winning a number one contender's match and his rant on the stage. Cena getting Punk his job back after a showdown with Vince. Punk's threat to take the WWE title to another company. The assertion of who truly is the better wrestler. The threat of Cena being fired if Punk does walk out with the title. Punk's contract negotiation" in the ring with Vince. While its been amzing to see play out, its alot to digest over the span of 3 weeks, and would have played out smoother over the span of 7 weeks rather then 3. They've covered enough ground that could easily have fit there.

Why this feud is rightfully happening now:​

1. Punk's contract: Obviously, this is the most glaring reason for it to happen right now. If WWE tried and failed to get him to stay through Summerslam, theres no reason why they shouldnt get all they can out of him while he's still here. Other wrestlers hae been used in this role before, such as Batista last year and Jericho in 2005, It also re-inforces what a valuable commodity Punk is in such a short time, and why WWE should go out of their way to bring him back when he desires to.

2. There are so many similarities in how this could play out: Vince gave Cena a subtle out in how he could lose the match to Punk, and not be fired. This will be the main event of the PPV, which means the ladder matches will go beforehand. Cena was told he would be fired "If Punk walks out of Chicago with the title." There's no reason why Punk can't win this match, and be cashed in on by an old foe, such as a Rey Mysterio. That would keep Cena's job, and transition nicely into Rey vs Cena for Summerslam as well. The absolute worse scenario with all the interest garnered in this match would be for Punk to lose clean, and this gives them several options. There could be a MITB cash-in, or even Vince, whose re-appeared on TV suddenly, getting involved to ensure his title stays in the company. MITB offers more scenarios for how this could play out another show does.

3. It truly makes for a loaded show: After the abysmal buy-rates for Over the Limit and Capitol Punishment rumored to not be much higher, WWE certainly needs a bounce-back show. This truly is a card with four matches of great interest. The ladder matches both, despite the poor build, always garner great interest. Christian and Orton is intriguing not only because the two seem incapable of having bad matches against one another, but also the stipulations added to the contract. Add in Show/Henry, which has the potential to be a good big man's match, and Punk/Cena, and you have one of the more loaded cards in some time. Both title matches have been built so well, and the ladder matches are always entertaining spotfests that determine the direction of where WWE is headed down the line. And a loaded card is exactly what is needed right now after two PPV's that didnt draw well.

There's three arguments in all as to the why's and the why not's of whether MITB is the best place for Cena/Punk to take place. Having said that, I ask:

Are there any extraneous factors I missed here that sway the argument one way or another?

Where is the ideal place for this match to happen? Why?

What flaws exist in my arguments for/against Punk/Cena? Lets hear em!

2. There are so many similarities in how this could play out: Vince gave Cena a subtle out in how he could lose the match to Punk, and not be fired. This will be the main event of the PPV, which means the ladder matches will go beforehand. Cena was told he would be fired "If Punk walks out of Chicago with the title." There's no reason why Punk can't win this match, and be cashed in on by an old foe, such as a Rey Mysterio. That would keep Cena's job, and transition nicely into Rey vs Cena for Summerslam as well. The absolute worse scenario with all the interest garnered in this match would be for Punk to lose clean, and this gives them several options. There could be a MITB cash-in, or even Vince, whose re-appeared on TV suddenly, getting involved to ensure his title stays in the company. MITB offers more scenarios for how this could play out another show does.

I would counter that anything that could happen at MITB could not only happen at Summerslam, but be more impactful there.

Since there is a one year time limit on the MITB cash in, there's no reason it has to happen at the event. And the MITB winner should be selling the event like it was going through hell, winning the ladder match should leave him too beat down to cash in unless the winner is already KO'd cold.

The other problem is it's way too telegraphed. Everyone is expecting the Punk win followed by a cash in finish because it's the obvious finish, but it's also the best storyline finish short of Punk having inked a backroom contact extension. Come Summerslam, however, people wouldn't necessarily be instantly thinking "MITB cash-in" especially if the winner takes some kayfabe injury time. It could be something more out of the blue since it didn't just happen.

The rest of your points, however, I find to be quite solid.

Are there any extraneous factors I missed here that sway the argument one way or another?

Well, you didn't bring up the geographical point behind this which is Chicago is Punk's home town and one of the biggest Anti-Cena territories in the world. There is also the potential that Punk is under contract already. Maybe it doesn't kick in until later in the year, but there is a possibility that Punk has signed some sort of deal.

Money in the Bank. Why? Because with a hometown crowd behind its local hero in CM Punk and against Cena, it's sure to be must see TV. There's also the very real possibility that this is Punk's last hurrah for some time, and if you're going to go out, it might as well be in a blaze of glory, main eventing a PPV in your own hometown. Can you imagine if he actually does walk out of Chicago with the WWE Championship? The reaction would be astounding to say the least.

Punk/Cena has been brewing for longer than this month. As Punk himself mentioned, this really dates back to Punk "debuting" as a gangster in Cena's entrance in Chicago at WrestleMania 22. There's also the fact that they feuded throughout late December into January and February of this year. That feud never really got a true conclusion as the both of them went into separate WrestleMania programmes.

I think, as you say, that the match is just a victim of circumstance. Basically Punk's contract is legitimately expiring when it is and that's the focal point of the feud. It was theoretically possible to engineer this idea with Punk's contract ACTUALLY expiring but that would have removed some of the reality, and the reality of the situation is what made this whole thing so intriguing. Not to mention how unlikely it is creative would create something like this without outside prompting. Without CM Punk actually leaving the WWE there is no likelihood, looking at most feuds produced under this current regime, creative would have ever got round to producing something this good without help. I guess you could say it's happening when it is because all the circumstances have aligned themselves perfectly, it was just destined to happen when it was, setting it up may not have worked.

As to whether it would have been better at another time. Well I understand your argument for MITB practically selling itself, and I agree. I think in fact it'll be proportionally more successful this year compared to other PPVs. But I would think the primary concern for the guys in the back and for Mr. McMahon himself would be the numbers. The question is; how much of a ratings increase is this going to bring? It's a question where you can't really know the answer getting only one of the two outcomes but the point is would it have been more un-impacting shifting the feud to a more successful PPV.

To tell you the truth I'd argue the opposite. You take something like Over The Limit which people don't really give two shits about and dump a feud like this on it, you'll get a HUGE ratings increase. You push it onto a PPV where many people are already watching and many of the people would would have bought it for a more novel PPV are.... well, already watching. So it can't really be helped but if anything I'd say this would have been better traded to a lesser PPV purely for the bigger profit margin overall. And depending on how it goes you just carry it on until the next one if that's necessary. I mean, don't forget this has had about 3 weeks of build going into it. Imagine stretching it out a little (20+ minutes a week is quite a lot of show time) and putting out better, more complete Raw's and more anticipation for the match rolled into one.

To me this match screams out a dirty finish and a re-match at Summerslam with a surprise re-debut of Punk at the PPV, perhaps with the aid of McMahon. The build until now has been perfect but another month would always be ideal. It's not the sort of thing which is going to lose steam, we're accessing a direct projection of CM Punk's mind, I don't think he's run out of things to say. Thing is, WWE realize right now they're on to a GREAT thing, I'm sure they'll want ti to go on for a bit longer, losing Punk on Sunday is going to kill that momentum dead lest he decides to re-sign.

As you say the biggest benefit to it being at MITB is the looming possibility of the swerve but as I say a smaller PPV would have been better because what comes after the swerve, Punk or no Punk, wouldn't be a fraction of how good or interesting this is.

I've really waffled on with no real structure here but I hope you get an idea of my sentiments. To close, I'm sure MITB isn't really the ideal place for this to have all been coming to a head but I don't really know how else it could of gone down, how can you engineer spontaneity?

Hey, i'm not sure if anyone has seen the Rock's response to Cena in Australia, but in the midst of all that he was saying, I think he may have let the cat out of the bag as it relates to MITB and a potential spoiler. He said that he wasn't waiting for Wrestlemania but he was going to get him sooner. and he said it would be in the place where it all started for the Rock. Now, if we're all up on our Rock history, that means Chicago.
SO
That being said, the other scenario could be, that the Rock gets involved in this match causes CENA to lose the match but not the title. That way, Punk wins, Cena keeps his job and the Rock/Cena match is unaffected and gets more heat.
I think as a result, Punk re-signs and inserts himself into the picture at wrestlemania as a triple threat match.

If we are all up on our Rock history that means Madison Square Garden, New York City, Survivor Series 1996. So yea it means he's coming for him at Survivor Series 2011, Madison Square Garden, New York City.

His first WM was in Chicago but New York City at Survivor Series is where it all started for The Rock.

They will also not be adding anyone to the Rock/Cena match, especially not CM Punk, who to most of the wrestling audience, has only been relevant for about 2 - 3 years. The Rock has no reason to get involved Sunday unless he costs CM Punk the match for talking trash but The Rock has had tunnel vision on Cena since atleast February.

I think you have looked to far into Rock's new video.

This is the perfect time & the perfect place for the match. Don't leave work that can be done today, for tomorrow.

Chicago is the perfect place. We've always cheered CM Punk, even when he was a pure heel. Cena fans' cheers will be totally drowned out by CM Punk fans.

MITB is the perfect place. CM Punk is a two time MITB winner... so it's only fitting that he has a big match at MITB with the anti-CM Punk: John Cena.

July 17 is the perfect time. I'm out of school and can attend the show. I wouldn't of been able to attend SummerSlam. :)

If we are all up on our Rock history that means Madison Square Garden, New York City, Survivor Series 1996. So yea it means he's coming for him at Survivor Series 2011, Madison Square Garden, New York City.

His first WM was in Chicago but New York City at Survivor Series is where it all started for The Rock.

They will also not be adding anyone to the Rock/Cena match, especially not CM Punk, who to most of the wrestling audience, has only been relevant for about 2 - 3 years. The Rock has no reason to get involved Sunday unless he costs CM Punk the match for talking trash but The Rock has had tunnel vision on Cena since atleast February.

I think you have looked to far into Rock's new video.

Maybe. Maybe I dug a little too deep into it. Maybe its wishful thinking. However, don't be surprised if it happens.
The entire IWC has it set up for Punk to win clean and then get cashed in on. Its the only sensible way it could end. Or they could swerve us again and let Cena win clean or by DQ somehow. But what bigger swerve than to have The Rock cost Cena the match? I think its at least something to ponder.

In some ways, I think that it being summer is a good idea for the Cena vs. Punk storyline. You've touched on some good arguments both for and against. This one that sprung to mind is primarily for. Things can seem like they're slowing down not only in WWE but on television itself during the summer months. The weather is nice, teenagers are on hiatus from school, people are generaly just getting out of the house more and all that. It's post WrestleMania and this feud between Cena & Punk is really the first mega money feud that I can really think of that's taken place during this particular time of year in quite a while. We saw the rise of Nexus last summer and while the angle in and of itself was quite entertaining for the most part & it did introduce several new faces to the WWE audience, none of those guys were big money players at that particular point. It was interesting sure, but it didn't quite have a WrestleMania level feel to it. This angle with Cena and Punk does. Punk has finally been elevated to that next level and there's no way he can go back to the mid-card after this while John Cena is more focused and serious than he usually is. The WWE has done a great job with the WWE Championship this year and this feud has only put more prominence and relevance on the title. In 2011, the title has generally felt more meaningful and coveted than it has in several years in my view and this feud only helps out with that.

I think Chicago is a perfect place. The crowd is going to be white hot for this match in particular. Punk is the rebel with a cause and they see Cena as the "good boy" that represents the company. No matter who is booed or cheered for, though I expect a very hostile anti-Cena crowd, the fans will be completely invested here.

What flaws exist in my arguments for/against Punk/Cena? Lets hear em

Not really any flaws exactly. There are always going to be certain potential downsides to doing any particular storyline at any particular time. One potential problem that springs to mind is not really so much of a WWE problem but how fans will react. The IWC has become so invested in this feud that they're going to be all over WWE's ass like flies on shit if CM Punk doesn't walk out of Chicago as WWE Champion. It's what the vast majority of net fans wants to see happen, which means they'll almost certainly shit all over the event if WWE does keep the belt on Cena no matter how good the match or the rest of the ppv is.

The timing is perfect, the place is perfect. I might actually pay for this pay per view.

My prediction which is probably far fetched, is that McMahon screws Punk and Cena becomes the corporate champion and finally makes the heel turn

I think the New Nexus thing not taking off as well as it *should've* is probably what hurt the long term plans. When you think about it, it ended very abruptly and both guys moved on the next week. Not that it was exactly entertaining, but they just don't hit the breaks on a feud with talent of that calibur/importance. New Nexus faded away with Punk being the only guy people could name out of a line up (which was the same with Wade's Nexus but at least they had different roles) while Cena went on to argue with The Rock with the occasional Miz mention every now and then.

I also think that Del Rio's lack of response has changed booking plans. I do believe that they were going to put Del Rio vs Cena because they moved Del Rio on to bigger and better things. And with his character, there's really only one way to go: The WWE title. However, if they were going to do something for Summerslam, there's no way in heck they would do it now. They always start their big summer feud in June. I don't even remember what Del Rio did in June to tell the truth.

With the mention of The Rock being put in it is getting even more interesting. Could he come at SS or MiTB?

I think the timing was pretty good but you have a point aboot SS not really having anything that could sell it. Hell MiTB is looking to be the hottest thing in the summer. The only thing that could save SS is having Taker or HHH in a match with someone but Taker is out of the picture and HHH could fit it seeing as Punk has took shots at him.

I think this is the PERFECT time for this match. Punk/Cena has the best buildup of any title match in years and with it being in Punk's hometown of Chicago makes it even better. Personally, I think the WWE has to let Punk take the title and run, just because people want to see what happens. I don't think Punk is going anywhere, and I think the WWE has already quietly resigned him. But hopefully he wins and they hold a tourney for a new WWE title belt. You figure, they wouldn't give Punk this big of a push if they were just gonna let him go and Cena holding the title all the way until WM is boring as hell. Plus the WWE likes to run one big angle during the summer months (think Nexus last year). So what better way to build intrigue to Summerslam than a tournament for the title. Haven't had one in almost 13 years and one night tournaments are always very fun and well played out, usually with some good twists. Plus it will make way for a new WWE title because the spinner belt is way past it's prime. Add the intrigue of the MITB winners to the tourney and you could have one hell of a Summerslam in my opinion.

Personally I think it's been flawless. From the big things like this coinciding with Punk's contract and being in Chicago, Punk being Mr. Smark and Cena being Mr. Mark. To the little things like Punk using a sports analogy on Raw when the main media outlets covering it were sports outlets. Everything about it is flawless IMO.

As far as could it be maximized. Who says they aren't? This is only the beginning. Lots of great stuff could happen after this that wouldn't have as much effect if there were such a perfect alignment of the stars to pull this angle off at this specific time.

I think the biggest thing that makes this story good is that it's living in the moment. It's based around true events. They aren't worried about the future, like they did with the Rock/Cena thing, which is a huge mistake and as you can see, is losing interest already. They don't need to worry about SummerSlam right now. They need to worry about today. That plus the fact that they couldn't wait to pull the trigger on this.

This also gives the fans doubt of Cena winning. This is the first time in a long time where I hear people saying Cena will lose the belt at MITB. At many other PPVs that's not even a question. It expands everyones mind on the possibilities with this angle, and it also increases the possibilities and the interest of the MITB match, because now, people think that the winner will cash it in after Punk beats Cena and win the gold that way. At first, many people felt like the winner of this years MITB would lose, now it gives fans other thoughts.

Just picture this, Christian wins the WH title, but loses it in a matter of minutes to the SD MITB winner, thus driving him more mad and more sadistic, going from a 5 day champ to a 5 min champ, then having Cena lose to Punk, and have Cena get "fired" then, right when Punk thinks he's leaving have the Raw MITB winner beat him and you have CM Punk "leave", Cena "fired", two new champs, pushes the Christian story, have a huge return moment for CM Punk, in a "I'm not employeed here but I want to sabotage the company" role, and have SuperCena return to save the company yet again. All of that is possible with them playing this out now, although it won't play out like that.

And besides, it's winning more than Charlie Sheen right now.

Who gives a shit that Rock/Cena is losing interest now? If you try to keep the interest piqued up until mania to that then everyone will be sick of it. I guarantee that by Mania everyone will be dying to see Rock/Cena just as much as I wanna see Cena vs Punk right now.

Yeah... I guess that's why the fans boo when someone mentions Rock in the main event at wrestlemania. Because they are excited for the wait? That's what I mean, people want things to happen now, not later. People don't care about the future in wrestling, they care about the moment. CM Punk is hot now, for the moment. You honestly think that if they would have announced Rock/Cena later, closer to when it was actually gonna happen that it wouldn't have made a bigger impact? But instead, they build it up a year before it's supposed to happen, which in my honest opinion, was a mistake.

But, on the flip side of this coin, I guess if they didn't, some of CM's ammo for this fued would be lost, so it all works out for the best right now.

I think the biggest thing that makes this story good is that it's living in the moment. It's based around true events. They aren't worried about the future, like they did with the Rock/Cena thing, which is a huge mistake and as you can see, is losing interest already. They don't need to worry about SummerSlam right now. They need to worry about today. That plus the fact that they couldn't wait to pull the trigger on this.

The only thing that's "real" about this feud is Punk is leaving WWE. And why shouldn't they be worrying about Summerslam now? Its a month away, they should have a pretty good idea of where they want to go with that show right now, not just throw something together. And one of my arguments was that they could have coaxed Punk to stay for Summerslam, because Im not sure what match or feud could top that. MITB is an off-brand PPV that's sold by the ladder matches. The fact that theyre offerring two intrguing, possibly great Title matches is just a bonus, and makes for a loaded card.

Then having Cena lose to Punk, and have Cena get "fired" then, right when Punk thinks he's leaving have the Raw MITB winner beat him and you have CM Punk "leave", Cena "fired", two new champs, pushes the Christian story, have a huge return moment for CM Punk, in a "I'm not employeed here but I want to sabotage the company" role, and have SuperCena return to save the company yet again. All of that is possible with them playing this out now, although it won't play out like that.

I don't think you understand the stipulation properly. Under the way you see things playing out, Cena wouldn't lose his job. The ultimatum McMahon gave Cena was that "If Punk leaves Chicago with the title, Cena's fired." So if a MITB winner were to cash in on Punk and successfully keep the WWE Title in the company, Cena keeps his job.

And besides, it's winning more than Charlie Sheen right now.

Its a great feud, with one of the best builds since Batista/HHH in 2005. Which is why, if at all possible, they should have saved it for a bigger PPV, unless they have a swerve in mind and Punk is staying.

The only thing that's "real" about this feud is Punk is leaving WWE. And why shouldn't they be worrying about Summerslam now? Its a month away, they should have a pretty good idea of where they want to go with that show right now, not just throw something together. And one of my arguments was that they could have coaxed Punk to stay for Summerslam, because Im not sure what match or feud could top that. MITB is an off-brand PPV that's sold by the ladder matches. The fact that theyre offerring two intrguing, possibly great Title matches is just a bonus, and makes for a loaded card.

I totally understand what you mean, but I don't think that it could have been held off. I mean, his contract is really about to expire and many people have known this for months, and it's also been out there that he might not resign with the E, so maybe he really is leaving for good. Also, it's in Chicago, and it also gives them a out clause with the MITB winner. If it were to be held off until SummerSlam, Punk not only would have to sign atleast a months extension, but wouldn't have the home field advantage, they would have also had to fill this month's storyline out. And who was gonna do it? R-Truth again? They needed someone who wasn't in the MITB to be a focal point.

And we never know, the next story could be just as good, or maybe slighty off. Who honestly would have believed that after fueding with Miz all that time, that the next fued Cena would have would be R-Truth, and it would be gold? Or they might even be able to do a story where the WWE tries to get the championship back from CM Punk. We honestly don't know.

I don't think you understand the stipulation properly. Under the way you see things playing out, Cena wouldn't lose his job. The ultimatum McMahon gave Cena was that "If Punk leaves Chicago with the title, Cena's fired." So if a MITB winner were to cash in on Punk and successfully keep the WWE Title in the company, Cena keeps his job.

I look at that as just a loop hole in word choice to give them a way to back out of it, because everyone knows that Cena isn't going anywhere. I think the words are just words, and Vince has always been known to do his own thing, no matter what the exact words of the statement were. If they decided to play it out, they could swing it any way they'd like. That's Vince's way of doing things.

Its a great feud, with one of the best builds since Batista/HHH in 2005. Which is why, if at all possible, they should have saved it for a bigger PPV, unless they have a swerve in mind and Punk is staying.

Yeah, I agree. I'm just assuming that they couldn't. Maybe Punk refuses to, and only wants to do this in his hometown, on his turf, by his terms. Maybe he will resign. We honestly don't know. I just enjoy living in the moment. But I can completely see what you mean.

Another idea I just had based on what you are saying about a stacked card is time restraints. You have two big MITB matches both with 8 guys, two highly pushed title matches, and all of those other matches around them, some of the matches will be smashed for time, and we could ultimately end up with a rushed event and a squash SummerSlam instead of 2 steady PPVs back to back. Could do more harm then good in the bigger scheme of things.

There have been rumors zooming in and out about Triple H vs the Undertaker taking place at SummerSlam, could be a potential thing to one up the feud.

I do believe Money in the Bank, in Chicago is the perfect place for the match to happen. Reasons being - it is CM Punk's hometown, going out in your hometown seems to be the way to go. Win or lose, CM Punk leaves a winner, or a free man. CM Punk has indeed been a Money in the Bank winner two times at WrestleMania. Chicago is anti-John Cena and although I don't think the treatment won't be NEARLY close to as bad as Extreme Rules in NYC against RVD, a hostile crowd for John Cena will make it all the more interesting to watch.

Personally, I don't like the fact that the Staples Centre is the permanent home for SummerSlam, which is a whole 'nother story, but I don't think LA, CA is the rightful place for this sort of match, especially when you have the emotion, history and passion of CM Punk behind it. Him basically saying that he has always stayed true to who he is truly plays into the hometown advantage for this match. Sometimes the hometown BS doesn't really matter, other times they do, or in certain cities they do (like Toronto) but I think the atmosphere will play into how we see this match happen. Money in the Bank in Chicago is the place.

The only other way I could have seen it and this again is being unrealistic, is in reverse, CM Punk going into Boston to fight this match, and leaving Boston and the hometown kid, John Cena in the dust. Would have to play into the whole underdogs/Yankees/various sports references.

I think that waiting til SummerSlam would be a waste because while there is room for building a greater feud, there is also room for horrible disappointment. There have been times were the WWE has really dropped the ball on a great thing that has had a good amount of time to prepare for, and maybe then this feud just simply would not be a fire hot topic, but just another WWE program. I don't know whats real and what's kayfabe with the current feud that has been presented on TV over 3 weeks, other than simply assuming what's on television is all green-lit to go for the audience, but I've still got fingers crossed that Punk will resign and lead us into an amazing few months. So maybe SummerSlam will be the rematch between Punk and Cena, who knows?

Edit:

I'm not sure what to expect from the finale either way because I'm not going to put it past the WWE to disappoint everyone with a bait and switch MITB cash in at the end, or putting together a BS ending because CM Punk is indeed leaving, I'm sure WWE might even try to remake the the Montreal Screwjob if they're desperate enough, or for once, they can do something original, new, and unexpected. All I am hoping for is a memorable and wonderful match.

I think if Punk is indeed leaving they maybe should have held off on it. There will be no follow up and it will be same old same old. If he is staying it's great because they can continue this awesome storyline tomorrow night. I don't want a predictable cash in or screw job finish. If you ever wanted to turn Cena heel, this is the most opportune time since the Nexus Summerslam match last year. I want them to have the balls to finally do it.

They won't turn Cena heel. Holy fuck people stop saying that. It's a bad idea for so many reasons. The only "good" reason is a few smarks want it. However they want it, because they want to like him. People make a ton of noise when he comes out. He sells a ton of merch. Every feud he's in is unique because of the dual reaction.

Punk isn't really leaving. Even if he's not on Raw or SD for 3 months after this, he's still not leaving. He'll be back. They may sell the "leaving" by having him actually wrestle elsewhere, but he's not actually leaving.

Hulk Hogan was still getting cheered by little kids and selling red and yellow before he went heel too. They can do the same thing with Cena, and it needs to happen because he is beyond stale and with the buzz generated by the recent storyline with Punk, it would be the best possible direction to take this thing in. You do a double turn and walla Punk is the anti authority good guy and Cena is the corporate heel. If they go a predictable route with this, it will destroy everything they have accomplished in the past few weeks. And frankly if they do go a predictable screw job finish, or have the briefcase winner take it from Punk, Vince has no one to blame but himself for killing off the buzz and going back to status quo. It's time to do something unexpected and gutsy for the sake of the business.

Okay, but you also run a company that's traded on wall street. Who's going to take over those merch sales? Who's going to be the good looking guy who is a nice guy in real life and a nice guy on TV to do all the appearances?

You guys also do what YOU want but YOU don't matter. It's what's best for the company. Keeping Cena face for now is what's best for the company.

The ONLY people that want Cena to turn heel are the handful of smarks in the audience. Most people who boo Cena at live events probably don't want him to turn heel because they love to boo him.

You turn Cena heel and you don't have a flagship anymore. Plus his match with Rock loses a TON of the mystique because it's not longer Cena vs Rock, Icon vs Icon, it's new heel Cena vs Rock, which isn't the draw.

Cena's draw IS his unique reaction. He WANTS you to boo him. Like I said, if people were actually this bored, they wouldn't make noise, they wouldn't buy the merch, his quarter hour ratings wouldn't be high, and people wouldn't show up to events.

The IWC needs to get over themselves and stop asking "what do I want" and ask "what is best for the company" when saying "this should happen". When you say stuff should happen because you want it to, you look stupid because it doesn't make any sense from a business stand point.

If it was a great time to turn Cena heel, then ratings would skyrocket when Punk does his speeches. They don't, nerds shoot their loads and kids get pissed at Punk. That's about it. It's a more fun feud for me and you guys but in the grand scheme of things, it's just another money maker for Vince to keep the engine going.

Also, Hogan was selling red and yellow, but he wasn't selling much. His stock was WAAAAY down. Plus, you have to remember he's in a different company. WCW was a more southern promotion where the fans generally preferred Ric Flair to Hulk Hogan. WCW was targeting an older audience. It was completely different. You can't say it's the same because it's not.

WWE's audience is generally a northern audience. These people like sports entertainment. Their target audience is kids. This is why Cena is the face of the company and will continue to be a babyface until someone else proves they can do his job.

The IWC needs to get over themselves and stop asking "what do I want" and ask "what is best for the company" when saying "this should happen". When you say stuff should happen because you want it to, you look stupid because it doesn't make any sense from a business stand point.

Eh I generally agree with some of what you're saying. Perhaps from a business standpoint it isn't a good idea at all... but maybe it is. I wouldn't mark out if Cena turned heel (but I can't say that for sure because I might if they surprise me) but turning him heel now isn't a good idea with his match against the Rock booked in advance for next year. You're definitely right, people LOVE to boo John Cena, its funny in that regard.

However, I must say that you can never know who steps up to the plate, who can be the new face of the WWE, the new nice smiles/interviews/poster boy/ hands on kind of guy if you don't front Cena with an opponent, or turn him heel and have him fight a superhero babyface opponent that the marketable youthful crowd can really get behind.

Or maybe the naive markettable audience, the children who think its all real will simply just jump behind the first heroic figure to stand up to a monstrous heel Cena and that will be instantly a new merchandise selling point.

- Tying this all back into Punk vs Cena, Paul Heyman stated something interesting today. Punk can relate to kids and adults alike and I can kind of agree with that. Punk is a cool, bad ass, eloquent vocal character and I believe turning CM Punk face, whilst keeping his persona might be a great thing to do. Usually all the children wearing Cena apparel are little white boys with brownish blondish hair with blue eyes, like teeny weeny John Cena's with the occasional multicultural mix, but I'm pretty sure there are other kids who watch WWE out there and that aren't Cena fans and we don't exactly know what the demographic is. Just because a child and a woman can scream louder than a dude can and make the shrills and shrieks of one or two people sound much louder as if it were like 10 people doesn't exactly mean there's more of them.

Just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back