Pick my Premier League rooting interest

And? Most players for around 12 of the teams aren't first class footballers. Every team is made up of several players that would only get a game in their division for the team they play for.

There was no inherent point to what I was saying, I just dislike Stoke.

No, you've already been stripped of all your superstar players.

That's not entirely true. Not as long as people think Wilshere is better than he actually is.

Tottenham because Sandro is back. There's no reason anyone else can give you that is more persuasive than that.

Jack Wilshere isn't even Arsenal's best young British central midfielder.

I am a bit slack on football these days, but who? You cant mean Ramsay, surely?

As a Spurs... Person and your typical guy who runs down the English even I think Wilshere is a beast.

I'm here to convince you to stick with Tottenham. And here's why... you've already supported them for one season so you will know that they play a very attacking style of football- even in defeat you know the team aren't going to sit back and try and grind out results so already you have the entertainment value.

Ok granted with Clint Dempsey on the move our only remaining American is Brad Friedel who if I'm honest isn't going to get much game time. Are you aware though that the USA national team head coach- Jurgen Klinsman is a Tottenham legend so you have something in terms of the history of the club that might interest you.

I respect your argument that you want to watch a team with a USA player but I believe you will have more fun getting behind one team and sticking with them, then over the next 3 or 4 seasons you will appreciate the ups and downs and probably go from a casual fan to a more loyal supporter able to join in footballing debates such as will this be the season Spurs finally finish above Arsenal or should Gareth Bale stay another year or should we take the money and run.

I know I am biased but as a team to get behind Tottenham are probably your best bet. We are not the best team in the league but we are in the top 5 or 6 and are only improving. With a great young manager in AVB we have spent wisely this summer bringing in two or three players who could really help us to compete for honors.

Out of the clubs you listed in your first post, the only other team I would get behind are Everton, it might seem foolish to root for a goalkeeper but they have a big part to play in football and Tim Howard for all his eccentricity is certainly a fan favorite for Everton.

Go for Man United, because its doubtful they will win too much in this next transition period so the glory hunting claims may not ring as true.

BPATgMuCIAMwd7D.png:large

I hope this might sway your decision.

As I'm an American, I find it incredibly hard to form alliances with British football. My parents are Man U fans, and I generally enjoy their games. I know they're kind of like the Yankees of BPL, so it's not generally favorable to like them, but when I get the chance to watch Man U, Man City or Chelsea I know that, most of the time, it's going to be a good game.

I suppose it's kind of like a Brit trying to get into American sports, and not understanding why people just automatically hate the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, Lakers, Heat, etc etc. Then again, I grew up a Chicagoan in the '90s, so I can understand people hating my team for being consistently great all the time.

Any MLS fans? I know it's shit football compared to BPL, or really any other league, but we're slowly coming along. Destroyed the gold cup recently, and we're doing decent in world cup qualifiers. It's coming along as an American sports, our fans just aren't patient or subtle enough to get into it. Unless baseball gets a good underdog story int he 2 or 3 years, nobody is gonna care. SO we'll see. Good time to be a Portland resident. Western conference is fantastic right now.

I like the MLS. Obviously it isn't on par with the EPL, or even Ligue 1 or La Liga or the Bundesliga, but there is much more parity in the league than the top European leagues. Seattle Sounders fan myself, even before the arrival of Dempsey. Kasey Keller and their kit sponsor being Xbox(go marketing) were big reasons for it, but I've since grown to find that Osvaldo Alonso is a fun player to watch, as well them having two of the US's recent stars in Brad Evans and Eddie Johnson. They also have two of the better foreign players in Mauro Rosales and Fredy Montero.

I try to keep my expectations during things like the World Cup and other international competitions in check, but as a country we have come a long way in my lifetime. I'm not one of those fans that thinks we have a shot to win a World Cup in my lifetime, but we aren't a laughing stock anymore. We have closed the gap on Mexico as the best nation in North America. We won our group in the last World Cup, thanks mostly to some horrid keeping by Joe Hart, we upset Spain in the '09 Confederations Cup.

Eddie Johnson used to play for Fulham, he was comedically shit and out of his depth. I think the MLS is coming along pretty well, and the quality of player going there proves that. Dempsey is still good enough to be in the prem, so I anticipate he'll do well out there.

I have picked up all my American teams through basically watching and then finding someone to get behind, so I basically like a big mess of crap. I haven't picked an NBA side yet though.

There are some really great players in the MLS that I'll watch no matter where they go. I don't like LA Galaxy much personally, and they're having a rough year, but they do have 3 or 4 of the best players in North America right now. I remember Landon Donovan doing well in Everton for a minute. Robbie Keane is world class. In fact, if we had him for the national team, we'd be a lot more scary. If they seed us with shit teams, and we don't choke to Ghana again, I could see a top 8 run.

I'd rather jump out the window than follow one of those teams: Aston Villa, Everton, Stoke, Sunderland for a full season. Those teams hardly play football. All they do is kick and run, gameplay is nowhere to been seen. That's why you should go with the Spurs.

I'd rather jump out the window than follow one of those teams: Aston Villa, Everton, Stoke, Sunderland for a full season. Those teams hardly play football. All they do is kick and run, gameplay is nowhere to been seen. That's why you should go with the Spurs.

The fact you call them "The" Spurs should tell you how silly that decision is.

What's the obesession with The Spurs anyway? Is it a case of wanting to support a half-decent team but not wanting to seem like a glory hunter?

Who played there for a year and was moved on. I think it's just a case of people wanting to pick a team that they feel will be a success in the near future, then they don't feel like they've just jumped on a bandwagon when they win something.

Who played there for a year and was moved on. I think it's just a case of people wanting to pick a team that they feel will be a success in the near future, then they don't feel like they've just jumped on a bandwagon when they win something.

Nothing compared to clash of the titans.

I like Tottenham, that is exactly what it is. Time for some self reflection I think.

I've been a spurs fan since I I was like first. I stuck with us through the likes of Gerry Francis, Juande Ramos and even *shudders* Christian Gross. I've cheered on strikers from Mido to Sergei Rebrov.

I won't complain though because I you'll feel worse pain again soon when Mark Hughes takes you back to the championship :p

Being a Tottenham supporter seems great if you want to enter each season with hope that the Spurs will be able to win something or qualify for Europe, and then exit each season horribly bitter without any faith in the team.

If Stoke get relegated, they get relegated. I've been going for 23 years and I've only seen 5 full seasons in the top flight. The transition wouldn't be too hard for me.

Also away days are better in the lower leagues anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back