Pick my Premier League rooting interest

Richard Blonoff

Make America Rassle Again
I enjoy soccer, football for the non Americans, and recently got an upgrade on my satellite package that includes Premier League coverage. I've followed the league in the past through the FIFA and FM games and the occasional coverage of a US player who plays, but it was sparingly at best.

For a long time Fulham was my favorite team, due only to the presence of CLint Dempsey, my favorite player. Last season I switched allegiance to Tottenham due to the transfer of Dempsey. In the last week Dempsey made a move back stateside however, so I have no team to follow.

Being the self centered American I am, I do prefer to root for a team with an American player, but it isn't the end of the world if I can't. I also prefer to root for a team that isn't in any danger of being relegated anytime soon.

I figure I have five options, Aston Villa, Everton, Stoke, Sunderland, and the Spurs.

Aston Villa have Brad Guzan, Tottenham have Brad Friedel, and Everton have Tim Howard, but I feel it would be foolish to base my rooting interest off a keeper. Sunderland recently brought in Jozy Altidore, so having a strong young striker make them an attractive pick. Stoke currently have three US players, Brek Shea, Maurice Edu, and Geoff Cameron. Shea is quickly becoming one of my favorites due to his flashy hair and his play in the US's run to a Gold Cup win, but all three players future may be up in the air after hiring a new manager.

So it seems that Stoke and Sunderland are the favorites, but I know almost nothing about either team and would appreciate the input of you fine gentlemen.

The people of this fine community helped me choose Everton as my team about a year or so ago. I suggest you do the same.

Definitely don't do Sunderland though. They suck.

I get rep now, right Newcastle fans?

Sunderland? What the fuck is wrong with you?

I'd stick with Fulham. I've given up my season ticket this season, but they have been a great second team to have for the last four years (I'm a Liverpool fan, but I live in London, so had to pick a team to support here). They have a long association with American players, and their all time favourite player is probably Brian McBride. Also, literally nobody hates them.

Brek Shea looked awful in this league last season, so I don't imagine he's long for this league. Altidore was a total flop last time he played here, and I expect him to be again. Howard and Friedel will be the second choice keepers next season. Villa look like they'll be much better next year, have a young side, and honestly of all the Americans in the prem, Guzan is probably the most likely to play and the best.

I'd stick with Fulham. I've given up my season ticket this season, but they have been a great second team to have for the last four years (I'm a Liverpool fan, but I live in London, so had to pick a team to support here). They have a long association with American players, and their all time favourite player is probably Brian McBride. Also, literally nobody hates them.

Brek Shea looked awful in this league last season, so I don't imagine he's long for this league. Altidore was a total flop last time he played here, and I expect him to be again. Howard and Friedel will be the second choice keepers next season. Villa look like they'll be much better next year, have a young side, and honestly of all the Americans in the prem, Guzan is probably the most likely to play and the best.

Howard might be a second string keeper, and he may not be American, but we still have this guy...

Fellaini.jpg

That's right Yaz: an afro AND a unibrow.

Wrexham got lucky in the play-offs. After losing our first five games, and drawing the next five, Harriers tore that shit up all season.

I have a soft spot for Kidderminster after they got denied promotion because of their ground back in the day, and because Jan Molby used to manage them, but I definitely want to see Chester or Wrexham get promoted, if for no other reason than I can go and watch league football on the cheap when I'm at home.

I have a soft spot for Kidderminster after they got denied promotion because of their ground back in the day, and because Jan Molby used to manage them, but I definitely want to see Chester or Wrexham get promoted, if for no other reason than I can go and watch league football on the cheap when I'm at home.

My soft spot for the Harriers comes from them having the coolest crest in the LMA 2003 game for playstation 2. Been following them since. Your intentions seem a little more legit... I wish you the best of luck!

Apparently Hull have changed their name to Hull City Tigers. The ridiculous American name is perhaps worth exploring.

My mate worked for ESPN last season and was covering Fulham v Stoke for the American audience. He had to make a feature on Brek Shea's contributions and he had to include little flicks and stuff without showing what happened next (invariably spooning it into Senderos) because there wasn't enough material in 90 minutes to make a 30 second package of him looking good.

To be fair, I think he was bought for this season as he'd been out for a while due to injury. And nobody is going to impress in their debut, playing away from home, when Pulis is your manager. Especially when he was bought without his knowledge.

By all accounts he looked impressive during the pre-season game(s?) he played before getting injured. I still think he'll be crap.

Definitely don't do Sunderland though. They suck.

I get rep now, right Newcastle fans?

Yep, that's how it works. Enjoy your rep

For the neutrals I'd say the most enjoyable teams to watch this season will be Spurs, Arsenal and Swansea.

Fulham still has some players I root for, namely Hangeland and Ruiz so I will probably stick with them. I've never found anyone with a negative word to say about them. Even Chelsea supporters I have come across are respectable toward them.

One of the biggest issues I have as an American based fan is most TV coverage of UK football revolves around the two Manchester clubs and the clubs with US national team players, so until I bought my previously mentioned upgrade my viewing options were limited.

The Americans that play for Stoke are crap. I hope that influences your decision.

The players in general that play for Stoke are crap.

Yep, that's how it works. Enjoy your rep

For the neutrals I'd say the most enjoyable teams to watch this season will be Spurs, Arsenal and Swansea.

We should put on a good show this season, but being an Arsenal fan during the transfer window is painful. Although, at least we don't have Gareth Bale to inevitably lose.

The players in general that play for Stoke are crap.

And? Most players for around 12 of the teams aren't first class footballers. Every team is made up of several players that would only get a game in their division for the team they play for.

We should put on a good show this season, but being an Arsenal fan during the transfer window is painful. Although, at least we don't have Gareth Bale to inevitably lose.

No, you've already been stripped of all your superstar players.

I also don't have an English Premier League team. I used to cheer the Red Devils back when I was a little bear cub, but I don't like any of their players any more. The last one I enjoyed was Tevez (the barbarian).

Man U has a lot of assholes, but Chelsea has even MORE assholes (and the Chelsea supporters in SA are the worst). Arsenal released Cesc and I attended Liverpool's funeral.

Leaning towards Tottenham or Man City, but they're pretenders, really, aren't they?

Steven Pienaar plays for Everton and he plays for Bafana, but Everton isn't ever going to win the league.

I also don't have an English Premier League team. I used to cheer the Red Devils back when I was a little bear cub, but I don't like any of their players any more. The last one I enjoyed was Tevez (the barbarian).

Man U has a lot of assholes, but Chelsea has even MORE assholes (and the Chelsea supporters in SA are the worst). Arsenal released Cesc and I attended Liverpool's funeral.

Leaning towards Tottenham or Man City, but they're pretenders, really, aren't they?

Steven Pienaar plays for Everton and he plays for Bafana, but Everton isn't ever going to win the league.

I.DON'T.UNDERSTAND!

I'm portuguese so I am legally obliged to root for Tottenham and Chelsea. However when both teams collide, I hope Villas Boas can freaking destroy Mourinho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back