Petition to change the debate league scoring rules

Can we fix the scoring?

• Yes, I think that in hindsight, this may be a little better.

• No, TM is beyond doubt and FTS should be spanked for questioning him.

Results are only viewable after voting.

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
There has been some conversation spread amongst the threads, and I think it is time to discuss it.

Shouldn't persuasion and you know, who wins, be more important in a debating league than grammar and punctuality? I say yes, and I think others agree. This is debating, and yet, if you use better grammar and are more on time you get two of the five points. If you happen to whine a bit more than the other guy, you could also win emotionality, which is apparently a word (?).

I move that persuasion be worth more and that a winner of the actual arguments be named.

I was in high school debate (make fun of me here, but remember, I was all-district lineman and I could still break you) and the winner and loser were determined, and speaking style or in this case punctuality, clarity, and grammar) were tie breakers. In these debates winning, grammar, and the time you post are all weighed equally and that makes in an essay contest more than a debate contest.

I think all the members of the league post in here, so I believe this is a good place to put this.

This is how I feel on it. I made the rules, and there was not a call to change the format. people could have been vocal back then.

So the rules were set, and the debaters knew what they were getting into. I would rather give an extra point to people who can spell correctly, and actually post on time, then to people that give points in gibberish.

Two points are for objective parts of the debates, and three are for subjective.

This is how I feel on it. I made the rules, and there was not a call to change the format. people could have been vocal back then.

So the rules were set, and the debaters knew what they were getting into. I would rather give an extra point to people who can spell correctly, and actually post on time, then to people that give points in gibberish.

Two points are for objective parts of the debates, and three are for subjective.

This was why I didn't complain during the thing, it was in the rules originally and no one cared. I think it might be a little better with a change, but I wouldn't cry and bitch about it if there was no change.

The rules were posted with no discussion. There was also no format decided on. There are several free flowing parts of the league, and I don't understand why we can't change the scoring when it is an obvious problem. Like I said, if I am on time, spell correctly, and a little bit more into my side, I win the points whether or not I win the debate. This is an essay contest and not a debate league.

And once again, wins and losses are the tie breaker in a league decided based on points, the majority of which have no bearing on who the winner is. Do I get a scholarship for writing better essays? :lmao: I know that a reexamination of the rules seems to be a good idea based on the early exit polling here. If you put this poll up in the debaters room in the General Section, it could be an official vote. I will help you comb through the judges responses and help you determine who they think won the actual round and help you adjust scoring. It's not like anything has been set it stone. We don't know who won before the next round starts or anything like that, so it's not like there are no improvements to be made. I love that league. It's fun. I hate it in the sections when you make a post and no one argues it with you. I just think we can make it better, and I am very willing to help you.

Why can't there be more points for the subjective? Why can't we make persuasion worth more? Why can't we determine a winner and a loser and make the points a tie breaker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back