• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Orton boring to watch in the ring?

Kesteral

Occasional Pre-Show
Is it just me or do you find Orton perhaps the most boring main eventer in the ring? I know there's a similiar topic on the boards right now but that doesn't focus solely on ring work. I think his character is great and it's perfect for what the WWE needs right now. I have no doubt he'll become the top face in the company soon and will have a great career, but I just can't stand watching his matches unless he's pulling out all the stops or in a gimmick match.

If his character was a heel it'd be okay because he's not expected to be exciting to watch in the ring, his job is to keep the face down and not let him get up any offense. But as a face he wrestles like a heel and it's frustrating to watch when he clearly has so much talent.

Usually there's two main spots in his matches that anyone gets excited for, the DDT off the ropes and the RKO, which seems like the only move he varies. Now that's great when he starts to hit them but what else does he do? The neckbreaker over his back move, scoop powerslam and that's about it in a usual match, besides kicking and punching. And people complain about John Cena's 5 moves of doom.

The only thing I like about a Randy Orton match is the finish, because usually he comes with a suprising and innovative way to hit the RKO, but other than that there's nothing interesting to watch really. I know his character is slow and methodical, and he takes his time attacking each body part, skulking around untill he can hit the RKO. And if you think about it that way, why doesn't he just hit it straight off if that's the only move he has that'll do any damage. Yeah sure, ring psycology and all that but surely ring pyschology 101 as a face is that you have to entertain people, even if you're an anti-hero. Austin certainly entertained in his matches even though he was more of an anti-hero than Orton. If you look at Cena's move set at least it seems like he has a bunch of viable offense and there's quite a few things to get pumped for in the match. Attitude adjustment, STF, fist drop, leg drop off top rope, bulldog, twiting back suplex thing.

I'm not saying Orton should turn into anything like Cena, but I just want to see him actually wrestle and keep me entertained when I know he can.

I agree Orton sucks as a face and bores me to death.Everything with his character seems so forced to me lately,but when hes a heel everything just seems easier to believe.Whenever he cuts one of his promos where he starts with the "Im gonna give you an R-K-O" with the crowd going along with it I wanna throw up.People say all this negative stuff about cena but atleast the guy is a believable face.Everything about Orton from his look to his body language even his moves(ddt off the ropes,punt to the skull) are heel moves.Hopefully Miz gets that face spot and Orton can turn heel again because this whole good guy Orton thing aint working for me and please nobody give me the whole "hes the new Austin".Austin had more charisma was funny at times gave way better promos and was an overall likeable guy for a badass.As where Orton is wierd ,looks lost,and dont say anything worth the mic time as a face. Austin and Orton are nothing alike.

Nope I don't find Orton boring at all. Great on the mic, great in ring abilities.

You can't complain about his moves because let's face it almost every wrestler has only a few moves. You could go down the list of every WWE wrestler and I think many people would be very surprised.

Very few guys actually do have quite a few moves. The one wrestler that stands out for me and has an arsenal of moves would be Chris Jericho. That's why I always pick him in wrestling video games. :)

I dont really feel that orton tries to be a face . he is only considered a face because the crowd cheers him. i feel he does the same things he did when he was a heel but he just does alot less kicking people in the head. as For his in ring ability he can wrestle a good match and be technical too but he hasnt done alot of that lately

I wasnt saying he doesnt have a good arsenal of moves,I was saying his moves are very heel like in nature ddt'ing somebody off the ropes is a great heel move,and I do think hes been acting more face in his promos inviting the crowd to say R-K-O i just find it gay.Orton is to good of a heel to sell him as a face period.

I'm glad someone out there understands the pain I feel when Randy's theme music comes on. I think he's boring and it's not really his moves or lack thereof. I'd never expect more than a 3 star match from him, his opponents need to carry a lot of his load because he moves in slow motion. He's not terrible on the mic but he's pretty boring there too. I think the character is great because it's the only one that does things that actually make you see how much of a bastard he is. More heels should be given the same opportunity to cross the line and piss on it.

I don't find him boring in the ring at all. Sometimes he has better matches than others depending on his opponents. I don''t think being a heel makes much of a difference in his ring work. Ric Flair was primarily a heel during his career, and most people never found his matched boring.

I wasnt saying he doesnt have a good arsenal of moves,I was saying his moves are very heel like in nature ddt'ing somebody off the ropes is a great heel move,and I do think hes been acting more face in his promos inviting the crowd to say R-K-O i just find it gay.Orton is to good of a heel to sell him as a face period.

He's more of a tweener in my book, the guy still does whatever the fuck he wants out there and RKO's anyone that crosses his path regardless of being a heel or face. For the heelish moves like the DDT off the ropes and the punt, the crowd goes crazy for seeing him hit those moves, probably because the DDT looks badass when he does it and the punt just looks damn devastating. Sure his promos are basically about him saying how he'll RKO so and so and has been pretty much inviting the crowd to say it but he gets more of a reaction from those three letters than most of the roster will ever get. I do miss the days of full on heel Orton but to be honest it doesn't feel too different for me, his matches and nonpromo run ins have been kept largely the same as his heel days.

Alright man I see what you are trying to get at, but I must disagree with the fact that he is boring. I do not find Orton boring at all . He just keeps getting better in the ring and if you noticed he adds a new move to his arsenal every week. He really does not need to have a huge variety of moves because he already does if you ask me. The moves mentioned are just signature moves. He does other things then that you know like an uppercut, suplex, knee drops, side slams, and etc. Put it this way he is more of a ground type wrestler. It is your opinion if he bores you, but in my eyes it he is better than Sheamus and SuperCena.

I like Randy but I do aggree as a face wrestker he is boring all he has in terms of,moveset is the scoopslam, backbreaker, RKO and Delayed DDT thats it, and people complain about Cena. I think that he really needs to add afew move moves to his arsenal otherwise his matches become too predictable Scoopslam, set up RKO get the RKO countered, the other person gets some offense, Backbreaker and Delayed DDT cover, kick out at 2, RKO that is pretty much every match of his. He needs to mix it up.

WHY IN GODS BLUE GREEN AND MUD COLORED EARTH would u guys wanna bash Orton's in ring ability ? would anyone rather watch - 5 second, 5 moves , 5 agonizingly meaningless moves from cena? and end up with the STF ? or would u rather watch some as bland as the entire raw locker room except for edge , Jericho , Bourne or sheamus ?

what im basically saying is that Orton wrestles according to his role and he sometimes mixes it up in his matches we see the same moves but he actually beats down opponents other than get beaten restore his HP follow up with 5 moves and win the match :banghead: that always pissed me off , Cena getting his Ass handed to him and then in a minute he won the match i get the never die thing never give up but i mean come on :banghead:

At least when watching Orton u never know how he's gonna hit the RKO, how he's gonna hit it , how he sets it up or would he have an exhausting match or ends up Punting someone in the skull , he creates more anticipation and gets this he actually loses sometimes , not like super Cena when u know that eventually he's gonna win :disappointed: so before u go on and on about bashing Orton for his in ring ability u should take a look at all the other "options" on the show.

well I do understand what are you trying to say but looking all his recent matches, IMO they weren't not at all boring. the match he had againts the Miz (!!!) was pretty good. all the matches on PPVs were great: at RR vs Sheamus, his role in the EC, the triple threat at Mania 26, ER could be better but IMO that was Swagger's fault... OK granted, the match against Edge wasn't that good but Edge isn't in his greatest shape. well I think you get my point.

I agree completely about the fact that everything that Randy Orton represents as a wrestler (moveset, gimmick, music, in-ring psycholigy, promos or lack of promos even his freakin cold look!) SCREAMS HEEL!
I only have 3 problems with Randy:1._ the lack of punt! I miss so much that running punt to the skull! 2._ his promos: R....K....O! :wtf: c'mon Randy we all know you are better than that! 3._ that fact that he does that weird move with his arms after he hits an RKO...what's up with that :wtf:?

now you say that people complains about Cena's 5 moves of doom but not Orton's. I'm sure all the "top guys" here in WZ are going to praise you. but for me I have a difference: the Hulk-up! the Superman comeback. what makes it interesting is the fact that Randy can pull, out of nowhere, the RKO..while Cena...let's leave it there, shall we?

but I can't denied the fact that Orton's matches are becoming everytime more and more predictable...not less exciting, but more predictable. as he is becoming the face of the E I'm afraid that they turn him in another, ANOTHER Cena.

btw, most of the time I like the matches but I think that last year's feud with Cena is overrated, most of them were completely boring, but I blame in some degree John Cena for that.

i find orton very boring as a face
what i dont understand is all the hate for john cena for being boring and having shitty moves and promos. but orton is no better in either of those regards. at least cena is a powerhouse with mass appeal. orton is a snooze fest.

I have found Orton to be boring in the ring sometimes unless he's in a the ring with a great worker. Some say his ring work is suited better for a heel. I disagree Orton can work as a face b/c all he has to do is show some emotion when he has a match which is basically what a face is supposed to do. Orton needs to show the viciousness and ferocity of his character which can get fans interested in his matches. This is what faces such as Cena, Mysterio, and Kofi excel in unlike Orton. He's only been a face for a few months now but I do expect Orton to show that emotion that can get fans more interested in his matches other than having them pop for a RKO.

I wouldn't say borring to watch,
But very predictable.
I enjoy watching him alot,
But sometimes I long for more than a Scoop Slam, DDT, and Vintage Orton.
But I wouldn't say borring because I know he's capable of more,
The whole Silent Predator Gimmck,
Wouldn't work w/ his full moveset.

Ok I an understand the fact that you like him more as a heel than a face with his move set but really the character isn't that much different and his in ring style hasn't changed that much so he's not boring imo. I guess his matches sometimes get slowed down but then he'll hit a quick move to get the crowd back into it. If you want boring we can talk about Khali or Mark Henry or something haha.

i think its too soon to tell

i mean we've seen Orton as a heel for a long time and yes i believe he's quite awesome at it, but Orton as a face still retains that awesome aura you feel whenever he comes out to the ring

i think his charisma and ring presence is awesome regardless the lack of moves some people consider him to have.. at the end of the day i think that is most important

Orton's the best!

I absolutely 100% agree that orton is incredibly boring, both in and out of the ring. His microphone skills are barely mediocre, and completely passionless whether he is a heel or a face. He seems bored when he delivers any interviews or promos, which doesn't help.

In the ring, most of his matches have actually taken on the form of Cena's. Lately Orton tends to get beaten down for most of the match, and then eventually gets the upper hand with his 2nd rope ddt. and then gets beat down some more and then...oh wow, the rko from out of nowhere, and now randy wins.

Yawn.

orton is my favorite wrestler heel or face. the gimmick is just awesome. i dont find him boring. his matches are down maybe 10% of excitment then his heel matches but hes still very entertaining. with the mic skills everyone has been bashing on, i got 2 letters for you "PG" well all know who orton really is and trying to please kids on the mic aint his thing, but his in ring skills are what does it. if tv-14 randy would be the face of the company as it seems hes on his way to the top spot, some may disagree orton wont fit the top dawg in the wwe but hey atleast its better than cenas gimmick right? and i do believe a heel can be the face of the E becuase theyre who puts the asses in the seats, and who everyone loves to hate (triple h)

Lol randy is my favorite at the moment, but i do see where you are coming from. I mark out when i hear "I hear voices...", but mainly the only part i get bored at in the match is when he is doing the stomping shit to every part of his opponents body. Thats the only part Im thinking like "come on randy pick it up a little". Other then that no I dont think he is boring thats just what he does. Every wrestler has their arsenal of "5 moves" you can tell every single thing each wrestler does in a match. Thats a thing about Randy cause sometimes I cant even predict when he will hit the RKO too

Lol u people have brain problems really , bashing randy orton?Are u fucking kidding me? Whats next?Bashin Undertaker?.U Should love his in ring work for the sole fact that eveymoves he does he is selling it like it should kill the opponent.When hes going for the scoop slam he hypes it up or any other move he does he hypes it up like crazy to get you into it.God IWC sucks big time,I understand the bashing of some superstars, but bashing on Randy Fucking Orton?Jesus ...go back to your cave guys.

I think Randy needs to add more aggression to his moves.

When he's going for them stomps he's too slow with it. Pick up the speed a bit.

I dont think the problem is his moveset I think it's the breaks he takes in between performing said moves. He starts to pick up steam when he performs them scoop slams, and if he were to show more of that aggression throughout the whole match, People would get over the boring part.

I always thought Bret Hart was super boring in the ring also, Triple H during his world champion days.

I always thought Bret Hart was super boring in the ring also, .

^^And all future credibility on these boards is now lost. Congratulations.

I'm kind of in-between on Orton. A tweener, if you will..HA! It does feel a little different when Orton is out there, which means he's certainly way over. However, his matches do tend to not really grab my attention until near the end, which is no different than most average guys.

He does need some more work in terms of storytelling when he's out there. He's not bad, but if he wants to truly reach that next level where he can be called one of the all-time greats, he's going to need to bring more to the table than he currently does. Selling better would probably help, too.

I've been saying he's boring in the ring for quite some time, even when he was a heel. Maybe boring is a bit to harsh but his matches are only good if his opponent is exciting i.e. Cena, Bourne, or Edge. While he does have good in-ring psychology that only takes your matches so far. He isn't able to take over a match while keeping a decent pace, every time he gets the upper hand the match immediately slows down and stays that way. I understand he is slow and methodical and the RKO can strike at any moment, but when you only have 5 moves and some stomping to build to it, it gets old, to me at least. His matches are watchable but don't entertain me, like Cena's (I'll probably get lynched for this) or Jericho's. I like his Viper character but he was better in the ring when he was the Legend Killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back