Original vs Cover: In the Still of the Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddy4190

Championship Contender
Going with a R&B thing here. The song "In the Still of the Night" was written by Fred Parrish in 1956 and performed by "The Five Satins" The song was recorded in the Saint Bernadette Catholic School basement in New Haven, Connecticut. The song has often been said to be as one of the origins of "doo-wop" The song was only a moderate hit when released but made a comeback and topped the charts later on. For three decades the single almost always topped the influential Top 500 Songs countdown on oldies radio station WCBS-FM.

[youtube]fBT3oDMCWpI[/youtube]

Boyz II Men covered the song in 1992, an acapella cover, for the TV miniseries "The Jacksons: An American Dream." This version reached number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and the Hot Singles Sales on January 16, 1993 and February 6, 1993, respectively. It also reached #2 on the Hot 100 Airplay on December 12, 1992.

[youtube]U9BbrV5teBg[/youtube]

Which do you think is better? I personally like Boyz II Men's version better. Don't get me wrong now, The Five Satins do the damn thing, they're great, but Boyz II Men imo just eases past them. They are one of the best, if not the best R&B group of all time. You just can't beat them in terms of sync, and singing ability. It's wonderful.

I'm not a big fan of Boyz II Men, so maybe I'm biased here. Or maybe it's my hardcore love for doo wop music. I mean, I fucking love doo wop. I know, I'm really weird like that. The Five Satins "In the Still of the Night" is an absolute epic classic, and one that I've spent many a night listening to. It's the kind of song you could just lay back and look up at the stars while listening to. Without a doubt I have to go with their version here.

Sorry Boyz II Men, but Doo Wop is where it's at. All day, and all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back