[OFFICIAL] Skip Sheffield / William Regal Discussion Thread

Unfortunately, as he showed in the talk off, he's absolutely terrible when he's taken outside his comfort zone of 'yep yep yep, what it do?' The promo where he chanted catchphrases was infinately better than his second. But that's just how I see it, and admitedly niether was that good. Sheffield's good at what he does, and what he does is connect to an audience with his catchphrases. If he could slip in a promo between them though it'd be good.

He has zero heel potential for now though.

Frankly, I don't see much future for Skip. I mean, I'll give him his due, he's enthusiastic and minorly entertaining in a one-dimentional-overgrown-version-of-Jamie-Noble sort of way. That being said, his wrestling is mediocre at best. Just the usual big guy stuff, very generic.

As for promos, as has been mentioned before, a catchphrase does not a promo make. His channeling of Forrest Gump and Bubba didn't help either. When he promo-ed, I had the sudden and uncontrollable urge to reach for the remote and push the mute button.

I don't think he'll make it past NXT and even if he did, he'd just be a jobber and be flushed out with the next wave of "future endevored", with more than likely less impact than Eric Escobar.

The problem with Skip is that he has lost himself in the shuffle of his gimmick as he has attempted to become a total mix of Steve Austin's overall appearance with a cowboy hat, and a meathead cowboy attitude that can only be compared to a mediocre attempt at the comedy put out by HBK. I like him. I think he has potential to be developed, but his current gimmick has to go. They need to find something unique and play to his strengths. His monstrous figure should be the focus of his gimmick. Personally, I see him playing the role of feeble minded giant with a kind heart well. Given a chance, he'd become quite popular as the well-meaning muscle with no brains and impossibly optimistic attitude who somehow overcomes all odds.

Was I hearing things on the 4/19 NXT when Regal was fighting Bryan, that Bryan wears the red trunks as a homage to his former mentor Regal? I heard either Cole or the other kid say it. Did William Regal do wrestling teaching at some point?

I dont think Ive seen anyone else post anything about this but it finally dawned on me after watching NXT tonight that I knew I had recognized Skip when I first saw him and thats because he was also in the Tough Enough 4 competition from like six years ago that Miz almost won. He was going by his real name "The Silverback" Ryan Reeves and didnt have the Cornfed Meathead gimmick. He got pretty fair and was eliminated as the like the 4th or 5th guy left I think. Just thought it was interesting that he has been on both "reality" shows for new stars. Google Ryan Reeves if you want to see some of his tough enough stuff with him out of character.

Well, folks, as NXT progresses I'm becoming more and more convinced that Skip has been set up to be the Santino or Hornswoggle of the show. In the one-ring circus that is NXT, we are being treated to Skippy the Clown. Now I'm not saying that this is a bad thing. After all, I'm all for a bit of comedy, even though I think that Skip could work a little on being funny if he wants to make that a central part of his gimmick. Still, just about everything we've seen has lent itself to him, if he makes it, becoming a comedy jobber.

One last thing here. About his finisher, I'm wondering if anyone besides myself caught the reference implied by "Over The Shoulder Boulder Holder". Those of us who are fans of musical theater and cinema probably would understand. Either that, or those of us who know women who were...generously blessed twice. The first reference to it (that I know of) is in the movie Beaches (1988) where the Over the Shoulder Boulder Holder is, you guessed it, a bra.

With a finisher like that, how can you take the guy seriously?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back