[OFFICIAL] Retro TV shows thread.

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
This is where we can discuss the old school television sitcoms that managed to keep my mean ass in a seated position for 30 minutes at a time.

My list of great shows...in no particular order.

Family Ties
Alf
Facts of Life
Married With Children
My Two Dads
Punky Brewster
Full House
Who's the Boss
Blossom
Seinfeld
Friends
Mr. Belvedere
Perfect Strangers
Charles In Charge
Wings
Mad About You
Cheers
All in the Family
Three's Company
All in the Family
Home Improvement
Spin City
The Drew Carey Show
Family Matters
Just the Ten of Us
Murphy Brown
The Simpsons

And there are many others. Name them in here. Because I'm all about some thorough discussion on some of my favorite sitcoms. In my opinion, NBC was the king of sitcoms through much of the 80's and even the 90's with Must See Thursdays. ABC was a juggernaut with TGIF on Friday Nights. CBS had some solid shows, but were more focused on dramas. Fox has Married with Children. That in itself put the entire network on the map.

Discuss...

My favourite shows from that list have to be Home Improvement and Married with Children.

Home Improvement
Home Improvement was just great, the jokes were fitting and the characters like Willson,Al and Tim all were hilarious but the series retained some kind of class and always delivered a certain message but was never too serious about it that the viewer might feel like he´s being schooled about something.

[YOUTUBE]Yhvm8b88Wr4[/YOUTUBE]

Let´s not forgert the the Man´s rooms

[YOUTUBE]fnguL3DwPaM[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]cuJD1-1e-i4[/YOUTUBE]

I always loved that show and still watch it when I see it somewhere.

Married with children

Perhaps one of my favourite shows ever, the whole Bundy family was hilarious and somehow everytime they have some luck it ends back on their couch with Al´s hand in his pants.

The characters were very unique and introduced something that hasn´t been done before.​
Al, Kelly, Bud, Peggy and their constantly interfering neighbours.
Al´s rivarly with Marcy is hilarious and so is the constant dumbness of Kelly.​
[YOUTUBE]y_ADNZYN35c[/YOUTUBE]

And not to forget the Psycho Dad​
[YOUTUBE]8GFq6usPg6U[/YOUTUBE]

I agree that Home Improvement and Married with Children are hilarious shows. I watched them all the time and I still laugh constantly at the re-runs.

By far, my favourite tv show is The Simpsons. It's got every thing that you need in a tv show. Laughs, sincerity, adult humour, childish humour, compelling episodes, and cultural significance. The characters are unique and all of them bring their own little quirks that make the show come full circle. Yes I am a simpsons mark, but I do understand that the first 10 seasons were clearly the best. While I do still enjoy the rest of the seasons and the new episodes now, they are not better than the beginning. I put that on the fact that the show was fresh and now they have run out of a lot of things to make into an episode. Regardless, I think The Simpsons is one of the best shows ever, cartoon or not. I know people are going to disagree, but this is one man's opinion.

Honourable mentions: I love Seinfeld. It's just so different from other shows and it's very funny.

Wow... for people to consider Married... with Children 'Retro' makes me feel old as fuck. Jesus...

I'll go with some real Retro shows, like The Brady Bunch, Happy Days, and The Wonder Years... aka the line-up on Nick @ Nite when I was in Elementary school, lol.

The Wonder Years is perhaps my favorite television show of all time. I love it. And though it's from the late eighties, as apposed to the really Retro shows on my list, it was set in the Sixties, so regardless... it had a very "Retro" feel to it more than most shows from the late eighties. Anyway... everything about the show was perfect. Everything. Kevin and Winnie's relationship, and Kevin's relationship with his family... all absolutely superb and like I said... perfect. There's never been a "Coming of age" show that existed that's better than The Wonder Years, in my opinion.

I started watching The Brady Bunch and Happy Days just because it came on either before or after The Wonder Years. I didn't like them at first, but soon... fell in love with both shows and made sure to see every episode. I liked Happy Days more, but I must say... one of my all time favorite memories was my mom letting me skip school one day when I was a child, and me and her going to this pizza place called Mr. Gattis. I remember The Brady Bunch playing on the big screen there while we at. I even remember it was the episode about Bobby becoming hall monitor. After that my mom took me to Toys 'R Us and bought me some wrestling figures. Great day, and I can't remember what wrestling figures I got... but I do remember what The Brady Bunch episode was about. Funny how that is, huh?

Note: I don’t consider shows that started in the 90s old school.

So, old television shows. Having grown up on Nick at Night and TV Land, I’m a huge fan of older shows, likely far much more so than I am of modern shows. There are probably a dozen shows that I could write about for pages on end, but I’ll try to keep it at about 5 for now. Factor in, this is off the top of my head and not incredibly researched.

To begin with, what’s so great about older television shows? To me, the reason that these shows were better was because we hadn’t seen a lot of these ideas before. The writing was more solid, because there weren’t elaborate special effects or props to carry the show. It was the acting and the writing and the stories that made a show either great or dreadful. In today’s market the best shows are typically the ones with the best writing. Look at shows like Scrubs or 30 Rock. They’re hilarious because the stories are well designed and the characters are well thought out. You rarely see a stereotypical plot on those shows because the writers give a damn about what’s going on the screen and it shows in the finished products.

The other thing that a show needs is a cast with chemistry. How do you define chemistry though? We hear that term used all the time in wrestling, sports, etc. Two people have chemistry together. To me, what that means is they act together as a unit. It’s not performer A doing their thing and performer B doing their thing. Instead you get two different performers coming together and thinking on the same level. It’s as if they have one mind working together and it can easily be seen when watching a performance. Anyway that’s enough of my lecturing. Let’s take a look at subject number one. For the sake of simplicity, these will be listed chronologically.

I Love Lucy

To me, this is the Bret Hart of television and sitcoms in general: the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be. This show is DAMN funny today, 58 years after its debut. I’m going to say that again: 58 years. In many cases, that’s before our parents were even born. A show is old to us if it was on in the 70s. This show would be old in those days. It’s like the grandparents of television. I have seen every episode at least a dozen times and know every joke like the back of my hand and I still laugh every time. This show is amazing and this is the case for several reasons.

1. First and foremost, Lucille Ball. This woman is a gift from God himself. Her absolute love for the comedy that she was putting on could be seen in every second she was on screen. The audience adored her and while the other three main characters are all great and some of the best written performers of all time, Lucy was the show, plain and simple. Her physical comedy is second to no one at all and her facial expressions were among the best ever. You often will hear criticisms of performers as the claim is that it’s not them that’s funny but their material. Lucy was certainly a funny person with some of her bits being pure comedy gold to say the least. She was the queen of comedy and certainly the number one reason this show was the success that it was.

2. This show had one major benefit to it that most shows don’t have. The writers, Bob Carroll, Madelyn Pugh and Jess Oppenheimer, were the writers for Ball’s radio show entitled My Favorite Husband in which the premise was very close to that of the TV show. This was a great benefit as the writers could take one of the My Favorite Husband scripts and expand it a bit to make it a TV show. It kept a lot of pressure off of them and since it was their own work, it’s not like they could be called thieves. They were redoing their own work. When Ball was negotiating for the TV show, she insisted that the writing staff stay the same. That’s having big time faith in your writers, and it certainly paid off.

3. The premise. This show worked very well because it was perfectly believable. Everyone has that crackpot of a friend who has an idea that you hear and then just want to ask what the hell is wrong with them. Lucy explores what happens when you listen to those ideas. Nearly every situation that they get into is quite reasonable. Here are a few examples: she puts a cup on her head to make a point about hats and it gets stuck. She and her friend can’t keep up with a candy machine. She is trying to cut her lawn and the riding lawn mower messes up and she can’t turn it off and is stuck on it. While they may not happen often, is there anything on that list that isn’t plausible? Every episode was that way and it made the show something that any average person could relate to.

4. The cast. This is a big one. Lucy and her husband Ricky had great chemistry as a husband and wife because they were husband and wife. When CBS said no one would believe that Desi Arnaz was her husband and Lucy said simply, “But he is my husband.” How can you argue with something like that? They were able to show love on the screen because they weren’t acting. Coupling this with a solid supporting actress like Vivian Vance as best friend Ethel and William Frawley as the old codger Fred and you have two pals that will do anything, making the casting just right. The show was based around the idea of two married couples that were inseparable and the actors played it perfectly.

Now I could go on and on about this show, but I think you get my feelings on it. This show also was very innovative, inventing a camera technique still used today, as well as doing something that had never been done before: reairing an old show, or what we would call, putting on a rerun. In the 90s, it was a proven fact that 24/7 all around the world, every minute, somewhere a station was broadcasting I Love Lucy. That was over 40 years after it premiered. Finally, the most telling reason of all: the fans loved the show. On the night of Little Ricky’s (the son on the show) birth, 71% of the people with a television in the country were watching Lucy. That’s not 71% of people watching TV that night. That’s 71% of the people with TVs, period. To say that’s staggering is an understatement.

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Aside from having the most unintentionally funny name in the history of television, this show was great. It’s about a comedy writer and his life at the office and at home, where he tries to find a balance between the two of them. Much like Lucy, this show is about normal everyday situations and how normal life can come off as funny. For instance, his son’s middle name is Rosebud. It turns out it’s an acronym: Robert Oscar Samuel Edward Benjamin Ulysses David, which happened because all of he and his wife’s family insisted on certain names, so he picked all of them. Is that so far out of the realm of possibility?

Again, the cast carries this show. You have the father named Rob, played by entertainment legend Dick Van Dyke. He’s a comedy writer so you naturally have a lot of jokes ready to go. It also offers a lot of issues for him as his office and company are a bit messed up. There’s a scene where he’s trying to get his coworkers a raise but can’t because a Japanese coloring book company had a bad year, but the same companies’ motorcycle division went through the roof. Oddly enough, in the show that makes perfect sense and has a certain weird logic to it.

His wife is the stunningly beautiful Laura, played by Mary Tyler Moore. This woman was easily the sexiest woman on TV back then, with long legs in tight pants most of the time. She was the perfect complement to him and showed that the supporting cast can have great stories of their own that get all kinds of laughs as well. The chemistry here was undeniable, with just a touch of sexual tension that was obvious between these two. She was the perfect on screen wife and I can almost guarantee that many boys in the early 60s had many a wet night because of her.

Finally, we have the other writers, played by Morie Amsterdam and Rose Marie, portraying Buddy Sorrell and Sally Rogers. They’re a bit stereotypical but they work very well, with Buddy being the older guy that is working 9-5 at the only thing he’s really good at and Sally being the one that can never find a guy. They got along great and were perfect veteran comedians to go along with the young star in Van Dyke.

DVD had a great supporting cast with guys like Richard Deacon (who had one of the best lines of all time in the 80s: “I’m standing behind this table because in a moment of insanity I sold my pants!”), Carl Reiner and the neighbors, Millie and Jerry. Overall, the cast was a perfect balance of main stars and others that added up to one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. They kept it simple and knew that was the way to go. Apparently it worked too. This show ran for 5 years and went out on top of the ratings which most shows just don’t get to do.

The Odd Couple

This show is likely not that well known for the show, but rather the play. Obviously it’s the TV version of that, having just a continuing story rather than a single play. This show’s first episode is called The Laundry Orgy. When that’s how a show starts, how can it not just kick ass? Again, this show is known for its great chemistry between our two mains, Tony Randall and Jack Klugman, playing a photographer named Felix and a sports writer named Oscar respectively. These two were just excellent together, often times working for pages of the script with just one line of direction. For example, Oscar teaches Felix football. That would be followed by three pages of blank space in the script as the writers knew they couldn’t beat whatever these two came up with. It was an early example of improvisation on television which is almost always some of the funniest stuff you’ll ever see. Think about it. What’s funnier: something you see on TV, or something you hear from one of your buddies?

This show was canceled pretty early, but Klugman knew he was set for life, as he knew the syndication would be huge. He was right. Odd Couple was one of the highest rated syndicated shows of all time, sending all kinds of royalties to the two stars. This show was great, but sadly most people have little knowledge of it. It was also more off the wall as it’s one of those shows where this stuff just doesn’t happen to normal people, which is fine as well. I don’t have a lot to say about this, but it’s one of my all time favorite shows and I’d love for it to be on regularly.

Taxi

Oh hell YES. This show is without a doubt the funniest show that I’ve ever watched. It’s about the lives of a group of taxi drivers in New York City. While that sounds boring, the key to the show is only one of them, the main character played by Judd Hirsch (the old Jewish guy from Independence Day). Other than that, you have Tony Danza, Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd and Marilu Henner (who even at 50+ I’d still kill for a chance at). All of these with the possible exception of the last one are now at least known names, and this was their breakout show. The cast here is so balanced that it’s just great. Here’s what you have on this show.

Alex Reiger (Hirsch) Your main character and the only cab driver in this whole place (his words from the first episode). He’s just an average guy that drives a cab in New York. He’s always being asked for advice and while he’s the least known of all the main cast, he’s without a doubt the glue that holds this show together.

Louie De Palma (DeVito) This is a character that has been called the greatest of all time. Never before have I seen a more evil person on screen before. He’ll steal parts from his cabs to sell on the black market, not caring if his cabbies die from it, he turns in his workers to the feds for money, he hustles 12 year old kids, and he makes fun of blind people. He also looks up to Seth Green. This man is evil poured into a child’s body, and he is one of the most fun characters of all time.

Tony Banta (Danza) A dim witted prize fighter, he makes his other living driving a cab. This guy was one of the worst boxers of all time, yet he kept getting back in the ring. He’s the muscle I guess you’d say, but he’s dumber than a box of hammers. He became the second biggest star of the show I guess, but he was always my favorite.

Bobby Wheeler (Jeff Conway) He was pretty worthless and only was around for a little over half the series. He was an out of work actor that leaves when he finds work.

Latka Gravas (Andy Kaufman) This was the famous foreigner gimmick that Kaufman had. He was from some foreign land that was never named and always had the odd mishaps that came from it. He was the mechanic and always had to get people’s help with stuff, as he would get into situations like making cocaine brownies, joining a revolution, or needing to get married to stay in the country. Just a hilarious character, despite Kaufman being damn near certifiable.

Elaine Nardo (Henner) The sex appeal of the show, she was an art gallery worker who shows up in the first episode. She’s one of the better cab drivers and is always getting harassed by Louie, which often leads to showdowns, even having the garage closed down once. She was hot as hell, and she knew it. Allegedly had the show continued on HBO, the first shot would have been of her topless. FUCK why couldn’t they have gone to HBO???

Jim Ignatowski (Lloyd) And here we have the true breakout star. He was a minister at first but couldn’t remember where his church was. He was the epitome of a stoner and was either the best anti-drug ad ever, or the best reason to start taking them depending on your perspective. Rather than subtle humor, he was based on just flat out funny stuff, with the most famous being his test to become a cab driver. I would describe it, but there’s no way I can do this justice, so here it is.

[youtube]pvn-tBeLpCk[/youtube]

You can see Elaine stabbing herself in the hand to keep from laughing.

Anyway, this show was always funny, and I mean that literally. There’s not one episode that isn’t funny to me as the writing was off the charts. The show was canceled by ABC but one night DeVito was hosting SNL and the Taxi cast got to take their last bows. The reaction was so great that NBC picked the show up for an extra two years. They touched on some fairly out there issues such as PMS, bisexuality and sexual harassment, which was a big jump for this time period. Overall, this show rocked and the 4th season comes out in the fall, so I have been fired up beyond all belief as there was a three year gap between releases.

Cheers

This show is actually connected to Taxi as many of the main stars other than John Ratzenberger guest starred on Taxi. I’m sure you all know the premise here: it’s a bar and odd people come and go. However, this show was powered by the main cast. The chemistry here was absolutely off the charts. Cliff and Norm are perhaps the best comedy duo of all time and you can see it in every episode. Every genre of character is covered here, and the writing is just flat out great. My all time two favorite scenes:

First episode of the whole series:

[youtube]542haAmd7r4[/youtube]

Probably the most famous of the series:

[youtube]botdmsQilnU[/youtube]

This show was great on so many levels, but in my eyes it works for one main reason. It’s in a place where things are different every single day, but at the same time you get to see the lives of the same people and how they evolve over time. The great thing about a place like a bar is you get a lot of people that come in for one time only and you never know what you’re going to get from them. This is where Cheers comes in. What is going on with that person that just came into the bar, and how are your friends going to react to it? The results of that are almost always going to kick ass, and this always does.

When you add this to the characters, it’s guaranteed to work. The writing here is downright inspired. The story arcs span years at a time but there are smaller ones that carry the series to the glory that it’s gotten over the years. The show just works, plain and simple, because the characters work. The casting is perfect and the characters are all filled with the perfect balance of quirks and normal tendencies to make a show perfect. You need to have that to have a great cast, and this is no exception.

Finally, this show spawned a character you may have heard of: Frasier. He started at Cheers and Frasier became probably the biggest spinoff show of all time. In total, Frasier has been on screen over twenty years, which is longer than any other character in television history.

This show is pure greatness and every episode stands alone as great, but you need to see every show to get the whole story, which is a good one.

Anyway, those are likely my five favorites of all time, but I have to give honorable mention to the following, in no order.

F Troop
I Dream of Jeanie
Newhart
Bewitched
Flintstones
Gilligan’s Island
Welcome Back Kotter
All In The Family
Barney Miller
Night Court
Munsters
Addams Family
Looney Tunes
Dragnet
Get Smart
Superman
Happy Days
Twilight Zone
Brady Bunch
Zorro

These shows are my favorites, as I’ve watched a good many of them many times over. They’re a simpler style of entertainment that doesn’t rely on endless cursing, massive bloodshed and tons of sex to make a show good. It’s the actors, the writing and the story that drives them to greatness, which is why they’ll always remain classics. This formula still works today, with the best shows being those which rely on the strengths of the actors and writers to carry them, such as 30 Rock and Scrubs as I mentioned earlier. Long live (the original) TV Land and Nick At Nite!

All Terrific choices on everyone's part, and I myself am very much a fan of all that people have included here. But I'm going to include something far more retro than "Married... With Children" and "Home Improvement", but something even more empowering, and just a flat out better show...

jeffersons-cast.jpg

Not only was The Jeffersons a hilarious show, but it was empowering for Black men and women everywhere. It showed just how versatile actors like Sherman Hemsley truly are, and George Jefferson is one of the absolute best characters in the history of television. He was quick witted, and was extremely eloquent, something you honestly did not see of black people on television until this point. While it's sad to say, black people weren't exactly portrayed to well on television, and The Jeffersons was one of those shows that broke the stereotypes. It portrayed African Americans as middle class civilians, working hard to make ends meet, and living the American dream. Where as now shows have devolved into simple stereotypes on all races and ethnicities, The Jeffersons went counter culture, and worked to provide African Americans in a positive manner, and as those proud of their culture. Plus, the scripts were amazing, and the jokes always had me in stitches. Simply put, it was not you typical show, and it did all it could to break the stereotypes of blacks.

Plus, not only that, but that damn theme song was so catchy. Unfortunately, youtube seems to have a ban on the song, so I'm left with some tools singing the song, but this was honestly the best version I could find.

[youtube]AV0fmNo7474&feature=fvw[/youtube]

I wish I could find the original song... Damn you, Youtube. Anyway, I feel that this was the show to break African Americans out of their ceilings in regards to actors and actresses.

The best TV shows were on when was a kid. Every night I used to watch I Love Lucy, Wonder Years, Happy Days, and Bewitched. These old school shows put most of these new ones to shame. My absolute favorite is Mama's Family. It had me laughing every episode and every once in a while dealt with real life situations such as Buddy and his parents. One of the saddest moments was Buddy finding out that his mother wasn't going to be there for his high school graduation. I still watch it whenever it comes on and it still has that charm.

I'm not sure if this counts as retro considering it's still on, but Saturday Night Live was my favorite show bar none when I was growing up.

In the late 80's and early 90's, there was nothing more funny on television than an episode of SNL with Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, etc...

It's clearly obvious these guys were stars in waiting considering the emmense number of classic comedy movies that have featured the aforementioned guys and several others.

Like several others, Seinfeld was a must watch and as I matured in attitude and understanding, Cheers also become must watch tv for me, but mostly as reruns. Unfortunately, I was too young to understand the humor of Cheers when it was originally on, except for the last few years of the show.

My favorite retro TV show of all time is Diff'rent Strokes. It was about a rich white man, Mr. Drummond, who adpots 2 black children, Arnold and Willis. It gave the start to what I guess you would call the career of Gary Coleman. It also has one of the most famous catch phrases in all of television: "Whatchoo talkin' about Willis?". It was just an all around hilarious show, but it knew how to deal with very serious topics. At the end of the episode, it always seemed to get some kind of message across. The only thing that I don't like about this show is when Mr. Drummond got married and they brought along that kid Sammy. That is when I believe the show Jumped the Shark and it was never the same.

One of my favorite “retro” shows is Roseanne. I wasn’t around when the show started airing. But when I began watching it a few years ago on Nick @ Nite I really liked it. I don’t know exactly what it was that made me like it, but I just did. I guess I just liked it because I thought it was just funny. Whether it was the way Jackie hated her mom or the way Becky and Darlene always fought with each other, I just thought it was funny. I guess some people like it because they could connect and relate to the Conner family. And some people might have liked it because of the way the Roseanne character was. I’m sure that a lot of people, women specifically, looked up to her and wished they could be as strong as her. This is definitely one of my favorite shows from the ones I watch and I always like the episodes they air, even if I have already seen the same episode hundreds of times. I always try to watch the show when they air it on TV Land or Nick @ Nite.

roseanne_l.jpg

Family Ties

[youtube]iliLnQmaEOA[/youtube]​

This show is one of my all time favorites. I absolutely wanted my family to be like the Keaton's. Alex was the perfectionist and was the main character of the show. Played by Michael J. Fox, this show launched his career into the stratosphere. His emotions of going through high school and then to college were some of the more gripping episodes in television history. One of my favorite episodes was when Alex lost his friend in a car accident. The raw emotion he shows for losing his friend made cry as a 6 year old. Real gripping stuff...

Also...

Night Court

This was a show about a judge named Harry Stone. He was a judge in a Night Courtroom with John Larroquette and Markie Post as the lawyers and Richard Moll as the lovable but semi-******ed bailiff Bull. It was hilarious and was even better when Marsha Warfield was added to the cast

[youtube]JjiWblC_iG8[/youtube]​

And finally, another sleeper of a show that I loved as a kid...

Empty Nest

The show was a spinoff of Golden Girls. Dr. Harry Weston was the neighbor of Blanche, Dorothy, Sophia, and Rose and eventually, he got his own show, which was very entertaining. His daughters were a mess, Joe Isuzu was his annoying neighbor and his dog Dreyfuss was a dog I wanted when I was a kid.

[youtube]2oNTwr_lN1I[/youtube]​

Ok, this may be my new favorite NWS thread. I love the nostalgia, and with the Sitcoms Tournament looming after the Video Games thread, this is a great way to fire everyone up.

But I want to toss one out there that was not a sitcom. Nor a comedy. It was an educational TV show made up of a series of shorts.

squareone.jpg

Call me a geek, but thanks to this show, I could multiple fractions by 4th grade. It actually ran for 7 years, from 1987 thru 1994. The best part of the show were the "over your head" cultural references which kids would not get at younger ages, but it entertained and attracted parents and encouraged them to watch a math show with their kids.

A list of some of Square One's skits and their cultural comparisons:

wikipedia said:
"Infinity" a song about the concept of infinity performed by The Jets.

"The Mathematics of Love" a '60s pop-styled song about numbers and Roman numerals.

"Count The Ways," a country song performed by The Judds about a secret admirer who expresses his sentiments in mathematical terms.

"Nine, Nine, Nine," a country music song demonstrating that the digital root of a multiple of 9 is 9.

"Angle Dance," a New Wave/synth-pop song about obtuse and acute angles.

"8% of My Love," a song about percentages, reminiscent of Meatloaf's style.

"Less Than Zero," a song about negative numbers.

"That's Math" sung by Gregory Hines, a jazz number about how mathematics is used in various situations.

"Patterns", about patterns that can be detected in society, performed by "Weird Al" Yankovic.

"Rules of Thumb," a song about making estimations from well-known facts, performed by Kid 'n Play.

"Sign of the Times," a salsa song about using the letter X for multiplication.

"Wanna Be," a song about needing to know math to be productive, performed by Bobby McFerrin.

"Ghost of a Chance," a Thriller parody about a pizza boy gambling on his life when he delivers to a haunted house.

"Time Keeper," a synth-pop song about clock arithmetic, performed by Tempestt Bledsoe of The Cosby Show fame.

"One Billion is Big," A song about the number one billion, performed by The Fat Boys.

"Tessellations," in the style of Good Vibrations, dealing with the plane tiling technique associated with the art of M. C. Escher.

And then there was "Mathman," which was pacman, only when the Mathman got to a math problem, he had to answer it right or get eaten by Mr Glitch, an evil gray tornado.

And of course the coup de grace, Mathnet, which was the end of each show. "Dragnet" style, it was a 5-part short where cops used math to solve mysteries.

Or:

wikipedia said:
Nobody's Inn, a parody of Fawlty Towers. The main running gag is when someone tries to call the hotel, the owner will reply with "Nobody's Inn!", but the caller will mistakenly think he's saying "Nobody's in" to which the caller then says they'll call back later (thinking literally no one is at the hotel) and hang up.

Or:

wikipedia said:
Backstage with Blackstone, Math-related magic tricks and performances by Harry Blackstone, Jr. that involved two cast members at a time (Reg E. Cathey portrayed Blackstone's assistant). Unlike most magic shows however, Blackstone does explain later how the trick works.

Square One was, to me, the most entertaining educational show ever. Even better than Carmen Sandiego. And PBS smartly broadcast both shows back to back, so I never complained.

[youtube]7QlNz5byaag[/youtube]

Enjoy!

My next post on this topic isn't about a certain show...it's a BLOCK of shows that aired Friday Nights on ABC.

TGIF

TGIF-ABC.JPG

These blocks of shows on Friday nights began during the 1988-1989 TV season on the American Broadcasting Company...A-B-C!

The first season of these blocks of shows had shows like...

250px-Perfect_Strangers2.jpg

FullHouseLogo.jpg

Mr_Belvedere.jpg

Justthetenofus.jpg

These shows were cornerstones of my childhood. Of course they introduced a few more shows to the lineup as years went by. Baby Talk was underrated with Scott Baio's failed attempt at resurrecting his charm from Charles in Charge along with Mary Paige Keller, whom I found to be pretty hot.

But to me, TGIF hit it's peak when these two shows entered the lineup...

Family Matters

and

Dinosaurs

These shows will go down as top ten favorites of mine. Growing up during the days where Monday night was Alf, Thursday night was Family Ties, and Friday Nights were Perfect Strangers, Full House, Mr. Belevedere, and Just the Ten of Us (which is a highly underrated show).

I'll go into more detail on each of these shows in the near future, but as of now, bask in the memories of TGIF on ABC.

Not counting shows that started in the 90's (because I'd go all night)...

The Andy Griffith Show:

Okay, i want every single one of you that psoted before me to explain why you didn't mention this show. This is a true classic. It had to be one of the funniest ever, I mean you had the comedy, the humor, the life lessons learned, the pure structure of the show appeals (life in a small NC town). I mean you had the main charcter, the father figure and level headed man in Andy, you had the mother-type women in Aunt Bee, You had Opie, the young kid, who learns many lessons and provides humor, and of course...

Barney Fife. This man is just so darn funny, it just isn't right. He was possibly one of the most funny, humorous, overalll best characters in television history. Don Knotts, may he rest in piece, was just so great playing this character. The character was just so awesome, so funny, so great. He provided everything that is great in a television character, and after he left the show full-timne it was never the same. Barney Fife was the best character on theshow in my opinion, and was just so funny.

Sanford and Son:

Ya Big Dummy! Lol. I cannot believe this show was not mentioned either, it was another classic that just proves to entertain me episode after episode. It's hard to beat old Fred Sanford, and Lamont to boot. Fred was another great character in television history, and just the way Redd Foxx played it was so great. And the characters he had to interact with, people like Lamont, Ethel, Grady, Rollo, Julio, and enough can't be said for all those characters themselves, it was just an all-around great show. I catch it whenever possible, because it is just so funny.

Family Matters:

Steve Urkel. Nuff' said. lol. Steve was just about one of the funniest characters of all time, and I constantly find myself going along with Urkel, "Did I do that?" Nothing can be said about jaleel White and the character itself. Plus with the strict, not-always-levelheaded father in Carl Winslow is always entertaining, especially when he is in a scene with Steve. Waldo was just laugh out loud hilarious. And the show also provided some very important lessons, such as the episode where Laura gets threatened with a gun, her friend got shot, and the characters all did one of those things where you turn in your weapons. Another great, classic show.

The Cosby Show:

One of my all-time favorites, I could spend the rest of the night typing about this show and not enough could be said. Bill Cosby played Cliff Huxtable show well, and was such a funny man. Cliff was just one of the funniest characters of all-time, and knew how to father the kids on the show so well. Cliff was just so funny, I can never get over it, and always find myself laughing when the character is on-screen. Clair was just such a great wife and mother, and they way she interacted with Cliff was always entertaining. The kids of the family were all so funny, and brought there own traits to the table which always made the show that much funnier. The show also taught valuable life lessons, and was always very family friendly, never crossing any lines, which can't always be said for TV sitcoms. It was an awesome show, and was always so funny and great. One of the true classic shows, in my opinion.

Wow, looking at the shows that people have talked about on this thread has made me relive some of the best moments of my childhood. I have a couple that I love to watch everytime it came on.

Good Times

[
good_times.jpg

One of my favorite sayings of all time wil be Dynomite! Despite what some say, J.J. made that show for me and I lol'ed during every time he was on.

Sanford & Son

sanfordson.jpg

Red Foxx, IMO one of the best comedians ever. I always felt he was underappreciated. I use to watch this show on TV Land a lot growing up. I still watch on BET when I get the chance.

Fat Albert

fat-albert.jpg

One of the best show theme's ever. I own most of the show's DVDs. I found most of their subjects such as poverty and racism to be real influential in my moral standards today.

Rugrats

rugrats-show.jpg

The best cartoon ever. I don't care if anybody disagrees this is a cartoon that is something you just had to watch and tell you're friends about it the next day. You always wonder what Tommy and the gang was going to into next.​

So if we're going to into now blocks of Television Shows, I have one to offer from my childhood:

Snick​

[youtube]wvpbYmx2m0o&feature=related[/youtube]​

This was the first programming that reached out to the teenage audience, as at the time, Nick was loaded with

A. Cartoons that was meant for a younger generation.

B. Nick at Nite, which offered us shows that might be somewhat better suited for the retro television thread. However, retro is only as far back in the past as you remember, and nothing screams reminisince like that Big Orange couch.

The actual lineup went through many changes over the years, but the general audience target always remained the same. It was always the same sort of slap stick humor you'd usually find on your television, but when you really looked at it, it was quite mature for us. Mainly because, you know, it wasn't a cartoon and shit. And we loved every bit of it, because it was Saturday Night, and all we could really do at this point was watch these shows with our friends, and wonder how cool it'd be to eventually be this kid's ages, and to have the same abilities they did. In hindsight, it was actually quite pathetic, but as a kid this was what were really hoping our teenage years would be like. The strange thing is, the shows were pretty damn formulaic, but in the combinations that they'd used to provide for us, it always felt like different shows were being offered. For every show like Are You Afraid of the Dark, there was a Ren and Stimpy to counterbalance it, and provide something for everyone to watch and enjoy. Now then, I'll go by my childhood, and the shows I remember being run:

Clarissa Explains it all

[youtube]-S8cs8_8XHQ[/youtube]​

Definitely much more of a chick's show, and that was just fine by me, because in my quirky eight year way, I lusted so much for Melissa Joan Hart. To what I hear, the girl still is quite a gander to look at, but still has that damn lazy eye to her. Anyway, the show was simple; Clarissa has trouble with her brother, Clarissa has trouble in school, Clarissa has trouble... Well, period, and she always thinks of wacky things to help her out with her prolems. This show was not my type, but that's ok, because I could still watch, and seem like I was somewhat paying attention. The plot was very loose in how you had to watch, and it just made for carefree fun that would usually get you started on you Saturday Night. Definitely a great show to kick off the night, and start to give us hyperactive kids even more energy to make it through the night.

Ren and Stimpy

[youtube]j4rPa94onVk&feature=related[/youtube]​

Now this show was much for us folk with ADD. No bones about it, this is purely what would happen if you gave children Frosted Flakes coated with crack. This was your little exploding fun house, and even if the matters at hand got a little... Er... Risque... You didn't think much about it. This was DX before DX was even a fucking Clique yet. They pushed the limits, and probably pushed the censors even more to just fucking hate this show. Some will ask if Ren and Stimpy are gay... I'd say

How the fuck could it not be any more obvious?

Still, even with that, it was a great show to keep the energy going, and keep us all in a happy mood for what was about to follow.... Hold me....

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

[youtube]jitg-3xbmKU[/youtube]​

For a kid, this was some pretty heavy shit. I'll admit, looking back at it now, these things aren't even half as horrifying as possible, but when you were a kid, this shit completely fucked you up so much. This made you look at everything different; clowns, pinball games, lizards, you name it. And that fucking Midnight Society was always so damn awesome. I always wished to be a member of that group so badly, that my friends and I actually started one for a little while. This was perfect for when the lights were dim, and it was getting close to that nine o' clock hour, which to us totally felt like fucking midnight.

Pete and Pete​

[youtube]XnqeeBdGhh4&feature=related[/youtube]​

ah yes, the forgetten red haired step son of Snick. This show doesn't get half of the due it deserved, but when you really wanted to see what being a teen was going to be like, this was where you did it. This was the first show to acknowledge that women were hot, and that it was ok for boys to like girls, and I guess i can see why. This show was quirky, and it was also a great way to round out your night. It was funny, yet it offered many life lessons at the same time. Yet, it wasn't nearly as preachy as you'd expect. I love Pete & Pete, and still don't get why this show doesn't get the credit it deserves.

So there you go... In my opinion, I don't see why shows don't go back to this formula on Nick and other channels. In theory, it's prefect to give a kid a show where he doesn't have to follow stories, like is the case now when you watch shows on Nickelodeon (Well, the ones that aren't cartoon). So my question is this... Whatever happened to the pointless shows, that offered no true story, but always left you feeling good at the end. My guess is that Execs see that kids want more "mature" programming, and feel that involves giving them a story to have to follow for months, just to really confuse them. Shows like these are perfect to retain children's attention, and keep them entertained. So whatever happened to this sort of programming?

I'll see Tenta's Snick lineup on Nickelodeon, and raise with ...

NBC'S THURSDAY NIGHT MUST SEE TV

20_years_of_must_see_tv.jpg

To fathom the lineup that this night carried for the past 26 years is something that most simply can't do. It saddens me to see how NBC's became sort of second rate in the comedy department, when from 1984 to 2005, NBC had a day that rivaled no day on broadcast TV. Among the shows seen on Thursday nights...

Cheers
The Cosby Show
Family Ties
Night Court
Wings
Dear John
Friends
Seinfeld
Mad About You
Veronica's Closet
Suddenly Susan
SCRUBS!

Thursday nights were juggernauts in the 80's and 90's.

One lineup during a three year span included The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, and Night Court.

Are you kidding me? Put this lineup against ANY lineup of comedies that's ever existed on TV. I'm serious. TGIF? Nah. CBS in the 70's? Possibly, but I'll go to battle with this lineup. Fact is, these shows shaped my childhood, and it was all just one night a damn week. One night. One night, I didn't raise hell and get my ass beat. I sat down, watched Theo mess up, watched Sam, Norm, and Cliff drink, watched Alex P. Keaton be awesome, and of course, watched John Larroquette be the funniest damn guy he could be on Night Court.

Of course, many say that Friends and Seinfeld during the 90's was great, but they couldn't find a show to fit at 8:30 PM. No one can match Family Ties at 8:30. No show deserved to either be at 8 or 9 more than Family Ties, but the sheer awesomeness of Bill Cosby and Ted Danson were too much to handle. During 1992-1994, Mad About You, Wings, Seinfeld, and Fraiser were on Thursday nights. Not too shabby.

So, anyone who can bring up a better block of TV...plead your case. Because no two hour block of programming will ever match NBC's Must See TV on Thursday Nights. Period

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back