• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official PS VITA Games Discussion

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
The official thread to talk about all Sony Playstation VITA titles!

I'm going to start with the two games I actually picked up for the VITA when it launched on Wednesday, Rayman: Origins and Lumines.

Rayman: Origins - Easily one of the most creative platformers I've played in years. Likely my favorite of the genre since Mario: Galaxy (never played II, don't bother fighting the issue). I know this isn't exactly a VITA exclusive, but I still own it and played it for the first time on the VITA, so for me it was a new experience on a new system. The controls are incredibly fluid and the VITA's thumbsticks respond perfectly to every command. Short load times, a simple interface, and level design that makes you want to come back to do all those pesky time trials and "perfect runs" make this a must-play game, even if you don't get it for the VITA. If I had to take issue with something, it would probably be the lack of real story presented in the game - but then, most platformers have never been blessed with an overabundance of story arcs...

Lumines - I never got the chance to play Lumines for the PSP or any other system, but I hear the series has a history of being exceptional. At any rate, Lumines for the VITA is awesome. My main beef is that it really only has one real mode: play until you die. There are some "master" level options and the ability to make your list, but unless you've got a friend to play multiplayer with, you're pretty much doing the same thing every time you turn on the game. But, such is the life of a puzzle game... Dr. Mario wasn't brilliant because it did a dozen things well, it was praised for finding one thing and doing it perfectly! Lumines captures that spirit and displays it in stunning graphics. Seriously one of the most mesmerizing video games I've played...

Overall I've been impressed with Sony's VITA. Yes it's hella expensive, yes the proprietary memory sticks are a stupid decision, and yes they swindled a lot of people with the promise of a "free game" with the purchase of the 3G version (turns out you get Super Stardust Delta, and you have to pay the $30 3G fee and wait a whole month before you can download it!). And yes it hasn't come through on its promises of cross-play or ability to play your PS3 titles from a distance (or PS2 for that mater...). And yes they have a long way to go before their store is as desireably as the PSN on the Playstation 3.

All that being said, the system has been out for less than a week (in America). The cost is high, but they're selling them damn near to cost, and the memory cards are expensive so they can actually make money of their new systems. The Network support is lame at this point, sure, but so was the PS3's when it first came out. It just needs time... The cross-play delay is frustrating, but it turns out there's a legal matter in the way, and Sony needs permission from every game develop before they can authorize it for the functionality. Give it a few months to focus on working on the present issues before they get the backwards compatible and digital material taken care of!

Could you get a 3DS, a memory card, and games for a lot cheeper? Sure! But it's a stupid comparison to make - they might as well be completely different types of system. You can't compare to a gimmicky Nintendo handheld with a lackluster library of games and sub-Gamecube graphics to Sony's portable-PS3 powerhouse... It's just not fair in either direction. There are at least 8 games I'd like to own for the VITA already, with about a dozen more to launch before the year is over. Maybe more! I'm not knocking the 3DS - different system, different market. I'm just saying I'm really excited for the VITA already, and it's future looks AWESOME!

Next games to buy: BlazeBlue, Uncharted, and Escape Plan.

Thank you for making this thread, I'm getting a VITA in October due to this year being my final year of highschool and me actually wanting to try for once (going to test out whether or not my maths teacher was right when he called me a prodigy), so I'll have to dig this up when that comes around so I can get some opinions on good games to get, but for now all i can do to actually answer the thread is to talk about some of the games i've either played on my friends or that i really, really want.

top of my list: Persona 4: the golden (not out yet) - jesus christ this game looks good, i had the original on my ps2 but the disk broke pretty much straight out of the box, I've been watching the persona 4 anime and it is amazing as well, it actually has the one quality i actually care about in games; story, if a game has a good story i dont give two shits about how it looks/plays because i will finish it to see the end of the story anyways.

Rayman - i got to play the console version a couple of times and the game just has this x-factor about it, everything you do in it just feels so right, and it has the best art style i have ever seen in a non-anime type game.

As i said before, if i wasn't in yr12 i would actually have the damn thing and be able to talk about a lot more. You said it was priced high? you're american aren't you mike? the thing costs a hundred dollars less in your country and australia has a better economy! i have no idea why, but for some reason the gaming industry likes to fuck with our wallets a lot.. Is it because we banned mortal kombat? fuck me.

actually, getting the VITA in october might be better than i thought, the price will be down, the network will be better and more games will be out...... fuck that i still want it now :p

Yes, I'm American... I'm not really sure how or why it works the way it does, but it's just cheaper to be a gamer here. I realize "expensive" for me is still cheap for people in Australia or the UK, but for me paying $350 for my VITA and a game (including tax) was pricey... I guess if I look at it from a global perspective it's not all that bad! xD

Mmm, Persona... As much as I usually get tired of their games about half-way through, I'll admit that Atlus is one of the most intriguing publishers out there. They just have this ability to entertain and simultaneous creep the hell out of you at the same time... I recently played through Catherine on the PS3 - that game is trippy! I really enjoyed Persona 3, and have found the whole series all the way back to Shin Megami Tensei quite entertaining. I haven't had the chance to look into 4, but it should be awesome. I'm assuming it's just a re-release of the PS2 version?

Rayman is definitely a title I would pick up, regardless of whether you have a VITA or not. Like you said, it's got an X-factor about it - everything you do is smooth and feels "right". It's one of the only platformers (or games in general) with an enjoyable swimming mechanic! You'd be surprised at how big a difference that makes when one of your "worlds" is all under water...

Out of the launch titles, I think the ones really looking into are Lumines, Rayman, Uncharted, and Escape Plan. I really like Katamari, but I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea. I also like BlazeBlue, but it's an out-there fighter not everyone may enjoy. MvC3 is fun, but most people already have it for one system or another by this point. If by chance you don't have it for ANYTHING yet, and want to try it out, I highly recommend picking it up for VITA - you automatically get a downloadable copy of it for PS3 when you do (and vice versa, but the memory cards are small and expensive, so I wouldn't bother).

By the time you get the system in October, there will be a pretty excellent line-up to chose from as well! If you're into sports games Madden13 and MLB VITA are both coming out relatively soon. Gravity Rush looks incredible, and I can't wait! Plus, at some point this year (likely during the holiday rush) the HD remake of FFX is coming out, instantly making my VITA purchase worth it. So excited. In the battle between mainstream break-out Final Fantasy games, VII is over-rated...X is where it's at.

Anyways, enjoy the system when you do end up getting it. By October they'll probably slap on a small price drop, memory card price drop, and have all the online support and game libraries up and running... So really if you're questioning dropping the money on it that makes a lot of sense. Personally I'm ok with what I DO have at this point, but I understand everyone's speculation.

[Heel] Green Ranger;3739898 said:
I haven't had the chance to look into 4, but it should be awesome. I'm assuming it's just a re-release of the PS2 version?

The game's a re release with a new character, i think there's also going to be more dialogue, and there's additional features for VITA like calling for help via wifi when you're in deep shit, or better menus or something.
considering i'm listening to the soundtrack as we speak, i think it's safe to say i'm excited for this a lot :p

I also like BlazeBlue, but it's an out-there fighter not everyone may enjoy. MvC3 is fun, but most people already have it for one system or another by this point. If by chance you don't have it for ANYTHING yet, and want to try it out, I highly recommend picking it up for VITA - you automatically get a downloadable copy of it for PS3 when you do

i usually dont like fighters that aren't in an aracade, so i didn't buy mvc3 or BlazeBlue, but with handhelds there seems to be this odd connection with fighting games that just "work".

hahahaha after looking up blazeblue guess what it reminded me of?
persona 4, damn straight :p
specifically, the new fighting game they're making out of it, here's the trailer
[YOUTUBE]XlEmFBuzK-g[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlEmFBuzK-g - if my linking skills are shit

suggesting baseball/madden games to an Australian.... for shame :p
(I cant talk, i play state softball, i dont think that's very Australian either :p)

Plus, at some point this year (likely during the holiday rush) the HD remake of FFX is coming out, instantly making my VITA purchase worth it. So excited. In the battle between mainstream break-out Final Fantasy games, VII is over-rated...X is where it's at.

holy mother of the count of monte christo..... i am definitely getting the VITA in october now :p

I haven't snagged a VITA yet... I'd like to see how well FIFA and MLB The Show work on it. I did demo FIFA a little bit in GameStop and liked it so it won't be too bad... I'd to see the push of games like Modern Warfare, Battlefield, and Infamous among other games pushed onto the console as well. It would be cool to get some HD ports of older PS1 and PS2 games I never got when the systems were the main one... Similar to what Nintendo is doing on the DS/3DS...

I haven't snagged a VITA yet... I'd like to see how well FIFA and MLB The Show work on it. I did demo FIFA a little bit in GameStop and liked it so it won't be too bad... I'd to see the push of games like Modern Warfare, Battlefield, and Infamous among other games pushed onto the console as well. It would be cool to get some HD ports of older PS1 and PS2 games I never got when the systems were the main one... Similar to what Nintendo is doing on the DS/3DS...

I have the demo of FIFA downloaded, and from what I've played its pretty fun. I'm not a huge follower of the sport, but I find the games pretty entertaining. I probably won't buy it, but I think there's a lot of value there for more dedicated fans. I haven't bought an MLB game in years (almost a decade actually), but if it turns out to be decent I might consider it. There's something about the VITA that just makes me want to play things I gave up on a long time ago - things I found to be stale. I've always loved handheld gaming just as much, if not more than console gaming. I'm the weird one that likes to have his own screen and not share - for the first time I think this handheld is really creative enough, and powerful enough to fulfill all my wants in a video game system.

It's still pretty new. Like you said, I'd like to see some more mainstream games make their way over. Sony is announcing a bunch of titles in the coming week, so make sure you look out for that. I can already tell you there will definitely be a Bioshock exclusive game for the VITA, a Call of Duty game, Final Fantasy X HD, and a few others. I'm not sure about Battlefield (and I don't really care for it personally...), but I can't imagine it will be too long before an Infamous game makes its way over. It's currently one of Sony's best 1st party gems, so I can only assume they'll want to capitalize on it as soon as possible.

So I was at Gamestop today trying to decide between two games. I really wanted to give the fighting genre another chance, now with a new system, so my choice was between the legendary Marvel vs Capcom 3, or the relative newcomer BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend. As somebody who has never been quite as impressed as the masses by the MvC series (it's fun, but I just don't get the ridiculous appeal that many see...), I went with BlazBlue.

I'm about two hours into struggling with the combat system, but it's definitely worth it. I say "struggling" not as a bad thing, but as more of a praise - very few fighters out there develop unique characters that ALL play completely different. I've played with two characters in my two hours thus far, and I'm not even close to mastering either of them. In fact, I'm still not exactly sure what I'm doing... (Note: There is a training mode for those less stubborn than I...) What I can tell you: it's a 2D, sprite-based fighter. It's extremely Japanese in every way. It's gorgeous. And...it's a hell of a lot of fun. I haven't ventured into any of the story, but I've been told it's really impressive. Every character has their own journey, and that's also something you rarely get in this genre.

So far I'm impressed and not regretting my decision to pick up BlazBlue!

NOTE: I did pick up a used copy of MvC3 for PS3 to fiddle around with this week. I figured I can try it out, get all the hype out the way, and play it until I inevitably get bored. I'll then return it to Gamestop, get all my money back, and in all likelihood pick up a copy of Street Fighter x Tekken. :)

Just thought I would put it out there that anybody who owns a VITA and lives in North America can pick up a free copy of Motostorm RC today on the Playstation Network. I'm not sure if it's up yet - last I checked it was not - but at some point today it will go live and be available for free. I believe it's normally $10, and has a pretty decent rating, so I'd be sure to get it just for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back