NY Region, Kentucky Subregion: First Round: (5)Mick Foley vs. (28)Wade Barrett

Who Wins This Match?

• Mick Foley

• Wade Barrett

Results are only viewable after voting.
No offense to the awesome people that put this tournament together, but I feel that there should have been a disclaimer of some sorts to clarify whether or not this match was between Mick Foley and all his different persona's or just the character Mick Foley.

The man [not the character] Mick Foley was an enigma because he wrestled with 4 distinctly different characters throughout his career. First you have Dude Love, a character that never rose past the midcard, then there's Cactus Jack, the Hardcore Legend who was as nasty a character as they came but was still a career midcarder. After this you have Mankind, easily Foley's most successul and iconic character. Mankind was a bonofide main eventer and the character most used to represent the man's career. Lastly you have Mick Foley the character; an over-the-hill veteren who strives to use his image to put others over the best he can.

Agreed, if this was Mankind or Cactus Jack...then Foley would win

Dude Love would probably lose to Barrett, as he wasn't really a serious character, just a way of letting Foley's body heal and let him live his childhood dream of playing that character on TV.

But MICK FOLEY was always about putting over talent, and making stars. Randy Orton is a prime example of where working with Foley can boost your career immensely. So, if we are looking at Foley himself vs Barrett, I believe Wade would be given the victory. He has huge potential to become a superstar in the WWE, the size/look/mic skills and his in-ring work is improving all the time.

I think Barrett with a surprise win here, and a big career boost. Tough match though, both men took a beating but a Wasteland ends it. (Wade needs a new finisher urgently!)

I'll admit that Wade Barrett is growing on me, but he's not been in the big leagues an entire year yet and people are having him go over Foley? I think some of you are really overthinking this match. If you made a list of the top twenty OMG moments in the history of wrestling, Mick earns AT LEAST two of them, if not more. Foley may not have been the best technical wrestler in the ring, but he gave everything he had during every match I've ever seen him in. Let's not kid ourselves into believing that Wade Barrett could be running his own wrestling school any time soon either. He's still got a long way to go before he's mentioned in the same breath as Mick.

I read through all the posts (which I usually make a habit of doing) after I made my choice. I picked Barrett, and it's pretty much the same line of thinking that everybody else has pointed out.

I won't go re-hashing or restating everything, but I'll just say Lariat was thinking along the same lines I was, and that the Natural summed it up pretty good above me.

I was thinking along more of today's lines, too, in this one. It was weird since I don't think I did that for any of the others, but this one just screamed present day.

Maybe it's the fact that Mick was wrestling not too long ago (as opposed to Santana, JYD, Billy Graham, and some of the others in the tourney) and Wade is so much of a recent star that I couldn't look at him in any way other than his opponent taking him on in today's wrestling environment. All I know is that I could see Foley helping Wade up his game and giving him the rub in a crazy, psychotic, violent match up that would boost Barrett's credibility immensely.

Sometime in the next 2-5 years, this will be a GREAT match up.

But as it stands right now. This is no contest. Mick Foley beats Wade Barrett. This would probably end up being a pretty solid match actually. Especially with Foley in his prime and Barrett could just beat on him for a while.

But, in the end, Foley should definitely get this victory. Barrett is on his way to becoming a big name. It seems his future is really bright! He will probably rack up numerous accolades and have some relevant feuds. So, as time goes by, Barrett's chances will get better in this match.

I would vote for Barrett if it weren't for Foley's matches against the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels. The match against Shawn Michaels for the title was the first time I legitimately saw Shawn as a true champion. As much credit as Shawn gets for working the match, Mankind gets just as much credit for in-ring and promo psychology.

Hopefully Barrett doesn't fall off the map like Sheamus has, he has the potential to be a star one day.

Foley by Mandible Claw.

Lariat, when Foley put those guys over, you neglect to recall one major factor...

1. He beat the Rock for the World Title twice.

2. He beat Undertaker more times than the Undertaker beat him.

3. He pounded Edge and Orton soundly well past his prime.

Who has Barrett beaten legitimately? Saying "Foley lost his biggest matches" is just plain asinine. At least he had big matches. Barrett isn't there yet. I like the guy, he has a lot going for him. Kool-aid or not Foley is miles ahead of him. Even in 1993, when Foley was feuding with Vader, Foley was ahead of Barrett.

All true statements... but this is a one shot deal... not a best of three or four like he had with The Rock, Undertaker, etc. In ONE match... I can see Barrett beating Foley simply because the styles of both competitors favor Barrett. If this were a best of 5 series or best of three, I'd give Foley the edge because Foley is a good learner. He'll lose a match, find out what happened and correct it and use it against his opponent.

Barrett is someone who's a high impact move and Wasteland away from winning this one. I think Foley's vastly overrated and stand by my reason for voting for Barrett.

Like Nick said it, Foley has taken far too many ass kicking. Foley at some point was the guy who not only put over, but proved that X wrestler was the real deal (HHH, Orton, Edge). Wade Barrett's career until this moment has been quiet impressive, however he hasn't really and I mean really showed that he can the top heel of WWE. I have never agreed with Flair that Mick Foley is a stuntman cause he ISN'T. He had all the skills of a great wrestler. Foley wins this one clearly.

Wade Barrett is a promising young superstar who would appear to have a bright future ahead of him. His skills in the ring are above average, his mic work is good as well, and it would appear that there will be gold around his waist at some point in the not too distant future. However, when you stop go think about it, he has only been around for a couple of years, pretty much all of which he has been surrounded by a relatively large faction, so he really has not had to show his stuff in a totally solo capacity to any significant degree.

Opposing him is the hardcore legend. Physical toughness which is nearly unprecedented. Can sustain punishment and thrive upon it rather than shy away from it. And more than capable of dishing it out. In the end, the experience as well as the mental and physical toughness of Foley wins out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back