NRL 2007 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry they are a bit late but work has been a nightmare and i have had no free time......

All to win..........Brisbane - Melbourne - Parramatta - Manly - Cronulla - Bullgogs - St George - Roosters :headbanger:

The Super 14 is back so the NRL is just around the corner.

I probably mentioned this but I am going to State of Origin 1 in Brisbane. I hope we smash them again. It is feeling like the season again and it is sure exciting.

But what about the team who won last year...........................

THE MIGHTY BRONCOS

Don't get your Hopes Up Big Boy We Have A Strong Team This Year For Nsw

but with saying that you'se have lost Nate Myles and Roy Asotasi who did the Bulldogs get to replace that ;)

Over the weekend some teams played trial games which were very interesting. Of course no team was at their best and it gives no indication to the season, but it was good to see the Titans play their first official game of the season. Next comes the real season and I am looking forward to it because the cricket, basketball, A League and Tennis are all over for a while in Australia, and this means that football takes the lead in the Australian sports fans interest, which is great as this is apparently the best year ever for Football in Australia because TV coverage of NRL and AFL are at an all time high and I hope the season is as good as it has been for the past few years.

Here are this weeks trial games:

Friday 23 February
Broncos v St Helens
(World Club Challenge)
Reebok Stadium, Bolton, UK

Saturday 24 February

Dragons v Bulldogs
WIN Stadium, Wollongong, NSW

Cowboys v Warriors
Brothers Rugby League Oval, Mackay, QLD

Eels v Titans
Oakes Oval, Lismore, NSW

Knights v Panthers
Richardson Park, Darwin, NT

Rabbitohs v Sharks
Central Coast Blue Tongue Stadium, Gosford, NSW

Sea Eagles v Storm
Quad Park, Kawana Waters, Sunshine Coast, QLD

Here were last weeks trial game results:

Saturday 10th of February, 2007:-

Brisbane Broncos 56 (Steve Michaels 2, Tame Tupou, Dane Carlaw, Corey Parker, Joel Moon, Sam Thaiday, Darius Boyd, Nick Kenny, Jamie Simpson tries; Michael Ennis 5, Corey Parker 3 goals)
defeated
Central Comets 12 (Todd Titmus, Aiden Te Puke tries; Nathaniel Bowman 2 goals)
at Browne Park, Rockhampton.

Saturday 17th of February, 2007:-

Parramatta Eels 36 (Mark Riddell, Zeb Taia, Blake Green, Etu Uaisele, Michale Lett, Krisnan Inu, Feliti Meteo tries; Riddell 2, Inu 2 goals)
defeated
Cronulla Sharks 14 (Brett Kearey, Paul Stephenson, Dane Nielsen tries; D Cooper goal)
at Pioneer Oval, Parkes

Melbourne Storm 32 (Will Chambers 2, Dallas Johnson, Anthony Quinn, Sam Tagatease, Billy Slater tries; Cameron Smith 4 goals)
defeated
Gold Coast Titans 6 (Chris Walker try and goal)
at BCU Stadium, Coffs Harbour

Sydney Roosters 10 (John Williams, Jamie Soward tries; Soward goal)
defeated
Wests Tigers 4 (Taniela Tuiaki try)
at Aussie Stadium, Sydney

Canberra Raiders 28 (Scott Logan, Glen Turner, Daniel Sorbello, William Zillman, Brad Cross; Michael Dobson 2, Marc Herbert goals)
defeated
North QLD Cowboys 10 (Ray Cashmere, Joel Clarke tries; Farrar goal)
at Rockhampton

Impact keep your post together. Dont post one comment and then a min later comment on something else without anyone new writting anything. Say what you have to say in one post. Next time I will have to warn ya.

The Club Challenge was very interesting and the Broncos had all the chances to win but didn't take them. 18 to 14 is a lot more respectable than what I thought it would be, and it shows that the Broncs are just as good as they were last time.

The Club Challenge is pointlessly biased in my opinion, because nearly everything favours the British team. The home crowd, the conditions, the freshness of players and even the referees (except this year) have all been in favour of the Brits and it is no surprise that they have won as many as they have.

An interesting note was that I was watching it when Brisbane scored off the forward pass and the British commentators went on about that for 5 minutes. And then when the Broncos got called for that knock on when they scored by the video ref, was apparently not as important because it went St Helen's way.

"Well it's over and done now I think so we will get on with it" Was what the commentators said.

yeh the world club challenge is shaky. its not a waiste of time but i think one year it should be played in australia and one year played in the uk. that would be fair wouldnt it??? but it really makes the Australian teams look very weak. but my team the roosters are the only team thats won the world club challenge in the last 7 years and they beat st helens 38-0!!!! yeh and btw the british commentators are biast very biast and so are the new zealand ones that just the way it is. i cant wait for the season to start bring on nrl 07!!!

Here are this weekends trial game results:

St Helens def Brisbane Broncos: 18-14 in the Club Challenge match in England.

Cowboys def NZ Warriors: 32 - 14

Bulldogs def Dragons: 26-16

Titans def Eels: 22-10

Knights def Panthers: 30-18

Manly def Storm: 30-20

Tigers def Souths Logan: 20-10

Combined QLD Cup Team def Raiders: 18-12

Sharks def Souths: 22-4

Good start for the Titans and Cowboys, equally great start for the Titants after losing to Storm last week. Ey DS you still have my stips for week one ey? Anyways, two weeks to go until first game now? or is it next, I seriously can't remember. Anyways couldn't beleive Broncos game, hecame out of NO WHERE Argh.

Now see i am a Broncos supporter and when i watched the Broncos vs St Helens it made me sick, the simple reason they lost was because they didnt have the conditioning that St Helens did and the only reason Broncos even scored was off errors that St Helens made i think that when they have the World cup match they should have it 2-3 weeks after the NRL season

^^ I think that it would run into the fact that the Super League would not be finished so I guess that's why they have it so late after the NRL season is done. I would prefer to see it played in Australia once in a while but I guess I am making to much fuss over a one off game that no one really cares about (at least not from my perspective) but I guess beating the opposing country's top team has its appeal.

By the way guys, I added a VBookie event for the NRL Premiership winner that is available in the Fantasy Sports Stadium section.

True? I haven' been following the charity sheild event, what two teams are vsing?

Broncos have been a in bad form but can always comeback to the top like last year, another team that I'm looking forward to seeing this year is definatly the South Sydeny, they have strong side of kiwi and may possibly "NOT" get the wooden spoon.

Here are this weeks trial game results:

Storm def Broncos 46-0

Manly def Cowboys 14-12

Warriors def Bulldogs 36-6

Roosters def Eels 30-22

Dragons def Souths in Charity Shield 16-14 (Gasnier out for season.)

That is it for now in results but there is a Knights game soon.

Here is everyone's tips for the first round. If anyone else wants to join, you are more than welcome. We are holding an NRL tipping competition and it should be fun for everyone.

RD 1
Downward Spiral - Cowboys, Storm, Warriors, Manly, Penrith, Bulldogs, Dragons, Roosters

Fazza - Cowboys, Tigers, Eels, Manly, Cronulla, Newcastle, Dragons, Roosters

AussieHobo - Cowboys, Storm, Warriors, Raiders, Panthers, Bulldogs, Titans, Rabbits??

Marcello - Broncos, Storm, Warriors, Manly, Sharks, Knights, Titans, Roosters

Link 73 - Broncos, Tigers, Eels, Manly, Panthers, Bulldogs, Dragons, Roosters

Thompson - Broncos, Storm, Eels, Manly, Penrith, Dogs, Titans, Rabbits

Wet23q - Broncos, Tigers, Eels, Manly, Penrith, Bulldogs, Dragons, Rabbits

Exiled - Brisbane - Melbourne - Eels - Manly - Sharks - Bulldogs - Dragons- Roosters

Snyper - Brisbane, Melbourne, Eels, Manly, Penrith, Bulldogs, Titans, Rabbitohs

the first round is interesting, but then again every year the first round is interesting. every year i was get 3 right in the tipping in the first round. i just cant pick the first round with all the new teams. i think this year is going to be fantastic for the nrl as it has got a new team and each team is different from last year. i just cant wait till it starts what is it 8 days crap!! start already lol anyway just got one message GO THE ROOSTERS FOR 2007!!!!

Here is everyone's tips for the first round. If anyone else wants to join, you are more than welcome. We are holding an NRL tipping competition and it should be fun for everyone.

RD 1
Downward Spiral - Cowboys, Storm, Warriors, Manly, Penrith, Bulldogs, Dragons, Roosters

Fazza - Cowboys, Tigers, Eels, Manly, Cronulla, Newcastle, Dragons, Roosters

AussieHobo - Cowboys, Storm, Warriors, Raiders, Panthers, Bulldogs, Titans, Rabbits??

Marcello - Broncos, Storm, Warriors, Manly, Sharks, Knights, Titans, Roosters

Link 73 - Broncos, Tigers, Eels, Manly, Panthers, Bulldogs, Dragons, Roosters

Thompson - Broncos, Storm, Eels, Manly, Penrith, Dogs, Titans, Rabbits

Wet23q - Broncos, Tigers, Eels, Manly, Penrith, Bulldogs, Dragons, Rabbits

Exiled - Brisbane - Melbourne - Eels - Manly - Sharks - Bulldogs - Dragons- Roosters

Snyper - Brisbane, Melbourne, Eels, Manly, Penrith, Bulldogs (dragon got no chance without gasnier), Rabbitohs

omg soz i forgot t put the titans in where i wrote that thing about St George SOz all

Thanks for the tips, I have added them in now.

Here is the Cowboys lineup for game one, which is just 2 days away!!!

1Matt Bowen
2Brenton Bowen
3Mark Henry
4Ashley Graham
5Neil Sweeney
6Jason Smith
7Johnathan Thurston ©
8Matthew Scott
9Aaron Payne (vc)
10Carl Webb
11Steve Southern
12Luke O’Donnell
13Justin Smith

INTERCHANGE
14Rod Jensen
15Jacob Lillyman
16Sione Faumuina
17Shane Tronc

18Scott Bolton

It's a shame that Thurston is playing halfback because I think he is a lot better when he is playing 5/8th because he usually has a decent Halfback to back him up. It will be interesting to see how Smith/Thurston goes and it looks a formidable lineup.

Actually, I am talking about Jason Smith who is around 35 years old and this should be his last season. He should prove vital for the Cowboys as a mentor to the young guys and provides experience, whilst he may be a little old, that the Cowboys need. I think he has had his time and could be a dicey one for the Cowboys to have bought but I guess they saw an oppurtunity with him.

The Cowboys have all the potential to go to the top this year and with Ian Millward in there and the new trainer in there replacing Billy Johnstone, it should be very interesting and I am hoping that they remain consistent this year and mostly injury-free because an injury to any top guy like Bowen, Thurston or Payne could really hurt them. Bowman has an injury and he won't be playing for a while, so that opens up the centres roles for Graham and Henry and these young guys will need to improve if they want to keep their spots in the starting side. The forward pack is a strong one and there is lots of depth so I see no reason why they shouldn't be assured of a finals spot, but we were saying that they were assured of being minor premiers after they went 6 weeks without a loss, so anything could happen. Let's hope that they don't continue the slide of last year's season debacle, because they have a lot of expectations up here and hype is up, and we only want the best from the 'Boys. Dairy Farmers Stadium is going to sell out most weeks again if they play well and that is great for the NRL.

Broncos v Cowboys
Suncorp Stadium, Friday night, 7.30pm

How good will this season-opener be? A massive crowd, the best football ground in the world, the premiers first up against their fierce Queensland rivals… bring it on! Cowboys fans have every reason to be licking their lips at the prospect of Johnathan Thurston, Jason Smith and Matt Bowen clicking in 2007.

Having celebrated his 35th birthday two nights previous, Smith will head into Friday night’s encounter as the best “used car” from the rugby league yard.
His influence at Canberra over the past two years was enormous. It’s not just what he is capable of on the field, it’s the positive effect he has on those around him. North Queensland can now play Thurston and Smith either side of the ruck. That’s a daunting prospect for opponents.

Watch out for… The Queensland Origin halves pairing will lead their respective sides out on Friday night. All through his career Lockyer has proven himself a big match player. But Thurston is compiling a pretty handy record himself.
Need I remind you of JT’s deeds in the corresponding match last year? Thurston silenced the pro-Broncos crowd of 46,000-plus by scoring three tries in a personal tally of 24 points as the Cowboys marched home 36-4.

A handful of viewings of the Broncos’ grand final performance last year has convinced me their game plan read nothing more than “run hard, tackle hard, and keep it simple”. And they executed it superbly. The Storm players have to live the rest of their lives knowing their own performance was extremely poor. Brisbane got it right at the business end of the year in 2006, but I don’t believe there is a club in the NRL who wouldn’t confidently back themselves to knock them over first up this season.

The World Club Challenge clash with St Helens last month revealed a Brisbane side still prepared to play the simplest of games. If I were in the Cowboys’ camp, I’d attack this game real fast. It will start with the battle on the ground and in the play-the-ball. Look for Aaron Payne to have a strong influence on what sort of roll the Cowboys can get on.

St Helens showed through James Roby and Keiron Cunningham that smart work from acting half can cause significant damage to the Brisbane defence. Danger man… I recall watching Matt Bowen rip South Sydney to shreds, scoring four tries in a trial game last year. That was coming off his club record-equalling tally of 21 in 2005. I thought this NRL magician was in for a huge 2006. Five tries for the entire NRL season is an incongruous statistic to read next to the name of a player of such sublime attacking talent. Look for the ‘Bowen Arrow’ to hit the target early on Friday night!

If either side can open up a decent advantage on the scoreboard, I think their opponents may suffer some early season blues in chasing points.
While I take pre-season results with a grain of salt, I reckon the reigning premiers might be slow out of the box.

My Tip: The Cowboys by 10.

Televised: Channel 9 – Live in Qld, 7.30pm; delayed in NSW; 9.30pm. Foxsports – Delayed, 12.00am.

Source: Big League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back