• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NPR: WWE gaining Popularity

TWJC: The Beginning

Royal Rumble Winner
so I was looking through my FB feed and saw NPR covering WWE, in a positive way. Here's the link it sent me to:http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2015/08/22/wwe-daniel-bryan-professional-wrestling

So what do you think? WWE's revenues are up, stock prices are up, goodwill seems to be up, media coverage seems up.

Personally, I think this is true that WWE is still pretty damn popular. You can point to ratings, but that's only one metric and it's a bad metric. Cable is dying, and especially dying among people under 45. By every other metric (media mentions, attendance, revenue, etc) it's still going strong.

Your thoughts?

All wrong. :banghead:

Every other metric shows decline too. At least the ones that are comparable. House shows averaged over 10k at WWE's peak and they are averaging under 5k in 2015. That's a 50% decline. Even before the WWE Network, PPV (besides the Major 4) were in a steep decline. They were averaging 400-600K PPV buys a month in their peak and dropped to the 200-300K range before the network upended their PPV business.

Where WWE is better off is their structure. TV Networks weren't paying for wrestling until after the Monday Night Wars so they've been able to turn that into a huge revenue source. They're obviously publicly traded now and have a movie studio, etc. The Network is another part of it. Wrestling is less popular and that's not debatable, but WWE has managed to put themselves in prime position to make a lot of money off the people that still watch. Social media engagement is part of the puzzle in terms of keeping those fans engaged.

That's all great for WWE but it's wrong to look at that and conclude WWE is gaining popularity because they aren't. There's no way they should be doing worse at a time where they have no competition and more resources and talent than they've ever had. But somehow they are.

You have to be careful when you use the term "gaining popularity" because it can be extremely subjective. Take for example the wwe network - over a million subscribers and gaining so it is gaining popularity. wwe likes to say "just like netflix" but netflix has over 42 million subscribers in the US alone. So despite gaining popularity, wwe network has less than 5% of netflix viewers yet costs more(much more outside of the US where as netflix was still $8 until recently) - something wwe doesn't mention. So it is very easy to look at things and say "hey, they are on the rise" but what does that really mean? Not too long ago, Raw had its lowest rating in something like 15 years. Yeah stock is up but remember that a year ago they were still fresh off the launch of the wwe network so are they really making money or are they just not spending as much? wwe network took a lot of money to launch which meant profits went down, so even if they were just making the same money as 2 years ago it will look like they are making a profit since they are not spending anything like last year but does that mean they are more successful? And as for media, look what it took to get John Stewart involved in wwe? He wouldn't have given them the time of day otherwise. It is tough to say with wwe - there are signs that the company is more successful than it has been in recent years but at the same time, things like ratings are down, their tv deal a couple years ago was poor and that got investors worried - how long until something like that happens again? Plus Vince is good at putting a spin on anything - when Punk left, he told investors he was on a sabbatical when the whole world knew he quit. What do you think investors would have done if they heard the real story?

WWE had the foresight to launch the WWE network right before Hulu and Netflix puts cable out of business. Or at least significantly cuts into their business. WWE no longer depends on ppv and could very well control their own television destiny. This is a very forward thinking company. Even if it's booking is at times a bit short sighted.

All wrong. :banghead:

Every other metric shows decline too. At least the ones that are comparable. House shows averaged over 10k at WWE's peak and they are averaging under 5k in 2015. That's a 50% decline. Even before the WWE Network, PPV (besides the Major 4) were in a steep decline. They were averaging 400-600K PPV buys a month in their peak and dropped to the 200-300K range before the network upended their PPV business.

Where WWE is better off is their structure. TV Networks weren't paying for wrestling until after the Monday Night Wars so they've been able to turn that into a huge revenue source. They're obviously publicly traded now and have a movie studio, etc. The Network is another part of it. Wrestling is less popular and that's not debatable, but WWE has managed to put themselves in prime position to make a lot of money off the people that still watch. Social media engagement is part of the puzzle in terms of keeping those fans engaged.

That's all great for WWE but it's wrong to look at that and conclude WWE is gaining popularity because they aren't. There's no way they should be doing worse at a time where they have no competition and more resources and talent than they've ever had. But somehow they are.
House show attendance in the late 90s vs house shows now isn't really a fair comparison either. Think about how much better the economy was. Think of the fewer entertainment options back then. If you wanted to see wrestling other than when it was on TV, you pretty much had to go to the house shows.

PPV buys isn't at all apples to apples either. Have any idea how much easier it is to stream them live for free? Was internet even fast enough from 1997-2001 to stream?

I wouldn't say it's as popular as it was at it's peak, but it's definitely more popular than it was 5-10 years ago. I really don't see how you can say they aren't gaining popularity. Revenue is kind of a "scoreboard" for that and it's up. That's not all WWE getting more sophisticated with how they make money, it's a lot to do with people genuinely like it.

The PG product gets shit on, but honestly, it's better than the attitude era IMO. Attitude Era was a jerry springer undercard with great main events (sometimes). I dare anyone to go back and watch those shows and watch the modern shows. In ring quality is better and the storylines aren't as trashy.

Obviously, that's all subjective. However, I don't know if you'd have such mass media coverage like this if WWE didn't fix their reputation as being Jerry Springer/trash TV. Which it admittedly still gets from time to time.

The most interesting part about the article to me is that they talk about how people get shamed out of being wrestling fans. That is definitely true. I think that with WWE's more athletic/less steroided talent, and their better publicity, combined with it generally being pretty good over the last 2 years, there's less shaming. Now on social media when someone says "you know it's fake right" you see about 12 people shut them down.

It's a good time to be a wrestling fan. Even if some of us are perpetually negative.

Edit: I'm going to articulate this for the last time. RATINGS DON'T MATTER. They matter to an extent, that was hyperbole. However, when cable itself will probably be dead in 10-20 years, who gives a shit about ratings? People under 40 generally don't have cable. I haven't had cable in 5 years. Most people I know don't have cable. Cable is garbage. Of course ratings are down. When an entire industry is dying at something like 10% a year and the only people clinging onto it are 70 year old Fox News viewers, why would WWE care all that much about ratings?

Summerslam was booked entirely to create headlines, whether it was Stewart with Foley, Heyman and Cena or Stephen Amell, so yes some new companies may have covered them but give it a week and they won't do another story on WWE till Mania

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back