Nirvana reunites with Paul McCartney in Kurt's role

Even it being anti rape doesn't mean it doesn't have meaning.
I never said it didn't have meaning...most songs have meaning. Having a meaning though is not the same thing as being poetic or introspective or anything of the such.

Are you pro rape?
Yes, and I'm also a Nazi atheist who believes in abortions, not just for unborn children, but also for old people.

Nirvana is my favorite band
Nothing wrong with that. I'm simply explaining why they are overrated.

I can actually admit that if Kurt hadn't killed himself they wouldn't have the iconic standing they have now.
Agree totally.

I also never said Kurt was poetic.
But that's the argument so many Nirvana blowhards give when defending Nirvana's music.

To act like none of his lyrics have meaning though is to be close minded.
Almost all songs have meaning. Gene Cotton's "Like a Sunday in Salem" is about McCarthyism and the Red Scare. Dr. William Pitts song "The Church in the Wildwood" is a beautiful song about a church he came across...in the wildwood. They both have meaning. But you don't see me going around talking about how incredibly poetic they are, or how deep and introspective they are.

I myself find the Beatles to be the most overrated band ever and most Beatles fans are too hard headed to accept my stance on that.
I'm pretty meh on the Beatles as well. But there's no denying that the Beatles were one of the most influential bands ever, moreso than Nirvana.

I never said it didn't have meaning...most songs have meaning. Having a meaning though is not the same thing as being poetic or introspective or anything of the such.

Yes, and I'm also a Nazi atheist who believes in abortions, not just for unborn children, but also for old people.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm simply explaining why they are overrated.

Agree totally.

But that's the argument so many Nirvana blowhards give when defending Nirvana's music.

Almost all songs have meaning. Gene Cotton's "Like a Sunday in Salem" is about McCarthyism and the Red Scare. Dr. William Pitts song "The Church in the Wildwood" is a beautiful song about a church he came across...in the wildwood. They both have meaning. But you don't see me going around talking about how incredibly poetic they are, or how deep and introspective they are.

I'm pretty meh on the Beatles as well. But there's no denying that the Beatles were one of the most influential bands ever, moreso than Nirvana.

I'll agree that a lot of Kurt's lyrics aren't particularly "deep" as you put it. There were a lot of bullshit lyrics that just sounded good. I by no means feel he wrote the greatest lyrics ever.

I'll even admit they are overrated. Like I said I don't think they're the greatest band in the history of music and Kurt's suicide moved them to iconic status.

I honestly couldn't pin down one band as being the greatest.

I'm also not going to deny the influence The Beatles had on future generations.

I've always been up in the air with Nirvana. I liked them a lot when I was younger. Now that I am older, I just don't find them to be as great as they (the die hard fans) say they are.

A band that is lost in times is Sublime.

I've always been up in the air with Nirvana. I liked them a lot when I was younger. Now that I am older, I just don't find them to be as great as they (the die hard fans) say they are.

A band that is lost in times is Sublime.
Have you ever seen Badfish? They are a phenomenal tribute band. I saw them a couple years ago.

I haven't seen Sublime with Rome so I don't know how they are.

No, I never got the chance to see them. I was suppose to see them back home. I moved down here (FL) when they came around. They like to play in Providence, Rhode Island, a lot.

I never heard of Sublime with Rome, either.

Ok, so much for McCartney I guess. WWE Main Event just started. This argument is over. Apparently ION Television thinks WWE > than both the Beatles and Nirvana.

No, I never got the chance to see them. I was suppose to see them back home. I moved down here (FL) when they came around. They like to play in Providence, Rhode Island, a lot.

I never heard of Sublime with Rome, either.

It's Eric and Bud from Sublime with a new singer. I've heard they're really good but I missed them when they came to town.

I used to like Nirvana, then I grew and started to listen to better music. A lot of their songs were clearly written while Kurt was on something and made little to no sense. Alice In Chains is, was and always will be the better band.

BTW, I find The Beatles overrated too. I always did like The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin better.

As for this, who cares? They could make an album together and I wouldn't be arsed about it.

No one has commented on the song yet? I mean it happened over 40 minutes ago already. C'mon son I came here to hear reactions to the song and all I get is WWE Main Event talk.

ION was probably the only network to go to regularly scheduled programming. Stupid ION.

No one has commented on the song yet? I mean it happened over 40 minutes ago already. C'mon son I came here to hear reactions to the song and all I get is WWE Main Event talk.

ION was probably the only network to go to regularly scheduled programming. Stupid ION.
Didn't watch that show or hear the song. Didn't even hear about this until right now anyway.

I didn't watch but a friend of mine said the vocals were the best part and the music wasn't very Nirvana like. He said it was "safe".

I haven't talked to anyone else yet to see if they watched it or not.

Not going to read the thread, so I'll just apologise ahead of time if I'm repeating this:

Paul McCartney should probably stop singing so much seeing as, y'know, he was shit at everythign he's done this year (especially the Olympics).

To me, saying Nirvana and Kurt Cobain are overrated is like saying Jimi Hendrix was overrated.

The reason why Hendrix doesn't get shit on by internet music snobs is because it's "cool" to love anything from the 1960's and 1970's and consider it the be-all-end-all of music. Since Nirvana is more recent, and since there hasn't been that "Change the industry forever" type of band or musician since them (Eminem maybe being the one exception), it's much easier to sit there and say Nirvana is "overrated."

Nirvana is far from overrated. Even if you don't like their music, you cannot sit there and deny the fact that they shook-up and changed the music industry as people knew it. They did. Period. Does Kurt Cobain's death contribute to their mystique? Sure, but so what? Just because Heath Ledger died after doing the Joker doesn't make his performance "overrated" because it added even more mystique to an already brilliant portrayal, just as Cobain's death doesn't mean the impact Nirvana had wasn't as big as people like to believe it was before his death. They were that big, and the impact they had was astronomical.

As far as lyrics and all that stuff... a lot of the most lauded rock bands lyrics aren't good to the naked eye. Regardless, you can't deny that Cobain's lyrics got to people and that's all that matters.

Also, people forget that Cobain was a TREMENDOUS guitar player, and that Dave Grohl is one of the greatest drummers of all time. Even if you don't like their lyrics or Cobain's voice, their band had this incredible sound to it and that more than anything is what blew them up. The guitar riff on Smells Like Teen Spirit for example is what made that song so popular over the lyrics.

How do you figure that? He was the voice of alternate rock. He might not have been talented in a classic sense, but fuck that, it's rock and roll.

I mean all the other bands at the time were better musically gifted. Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc. Heck I'd throw Stone Temple Pilots in there as well. Don't get me wrong I love Nirvana but from a technical stand point they weren't the best and while I do think Cobain was a great songwriter, again he wasn't the best. I feel Jerry Cantrell and Chris Cornell were far better. And as a singer, again Cornell was better, Layne Staley was superior and Eddie Vedder was better and so was Scott Weiland

Damn I wish I knew it was on another network. I figured it would be on a few but ION was the only one that had it on my channel guide. What's strange is for about a half hour ION had a crawl that stated WWE Main Event would be showed in it's entirety after the concert and then they cut the concert short right before the main performance.

This coming from a guy that likes Nickelback.

First of all, I love when people use someone's liking for Nickelback as an insult. Considering they're one of the biggest bands on the planet, your jibe doesn't bother me much... probably in the same way that my comments about Nirvana don't bother you much.

By the way, were you even BORN when Nirvana was out?

Nirvana was at the forefront of the greatest development in rock and roll since the 1970s and Nevermind is consistently near the top of the best album lists of musical critics. To say they're the most overrated band of all time is just all sorts of foolish.

Not really.

Or, these reasons are WHY they are overrated. Listen, I don't hate Nirvana. Hell, I enjoy them a hell of a lot more than I do the Beatles, or even Paul McCartney (talk about overrated), but they aren't as great as everyone seems to think. The lyrics are nothing more than a jumble in the mouth of a drug addict, and the music is too inconsistent. The only time they were tolerable was when they'd perform a cover. Provided they didn't rape it like what happened to "The Man Who Sold the World".

Also, this move gives me reason to hate Nirvana....

This comment explains a lot of my opinion on Nirvana.

How much art has been created completely in the absence of drugs?

That's a cop out statement in regards to a much more serious issue. It's one thing to spark up a joint and write about happy times. It's another to shoot heroin for weeks at a time, attempting suicide, while writing lyrics about people raping you and then selling said music to youngsters who are being taught to NOT do drugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back