Nirvana reunites with Paul McCartney in Kurt's role

Pearl Jam formed literally years after Nirvana. Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden all audibly changed their style after Nirvana's first releases, not to mention that their first singles were between a year and 4 years after Nirvana's first. Nirvana were in the right place at the right time, because they made Seattle the right place at the right time.

This is not a statement about Kurt Cobain's character, it is a fact, and if you honestly think that Nirvana weren't the most important Grunge band, despite the fact that the global popularity of the movement pretty much started and ended with them, you really need to have a long hard think.

I can't claim to have been a teenager in Seattle in 1991, but I did have a teenage brother in 1991, who used to listen to Nirvana with all his friends all the time. So I obviously know more about the movement than jmt.

Have we all agreed Nirvana is overrated yet?

If not, what's taking so long?

I don't think they are, I just think a lot of people miss the point as to why they're good in the first place. They're good because musically and melodically they were doing stuff that had mass appeal that had never been done before. You don't sell 30 million copies of an album without it being really good - something none of these other bands have come close to.

The problem with Nirvana is that because the lead singer was a mopey enigma, people assume his lyrics must be really deep and meaningful. The fact the man himself said "music comes first, lyrics second" has been lost. So now, ridiculously, things like "a mulatto, an albino, my mosquito, my libido" have been heralded as being Keats in the 90s, when they're really just space fillers to fill a good melody.

So now, ridiculously, things like "a mulatto, an albino, my mosquito, my libido" have been heralded as being Keats in the 90s, when they're really just space fillers to fill a good melody.

Hence the word "overrated". :shrug:

A group can still be good and be highly overrated. I don't know if I'd say Nirvana was good, necessarily, but they're certainly not bad. But they are definitely overrated.

Ah, but I think they're musical ability is underrated because their songs are so simple. So it balances out. I think the overall average opinion on Nirvana is, on balance, pretty accurate. The problem with them, as with any band loved by teenagers, is that some people take their love of a band and turn it into a religion almost.

He made fun of a Hurricane. Who legitimately hates Hurricane victims? Pretty good indicator right there.
If you actually read what I said I said I HOPE that was sarcasm and treated THAT as such, but the rest, which is what I replied to was serious in tone and I treated it as such. But no, you don't read what I said, just assume what I said is incorrect and treated it as such. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good work....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back