Nintendo 3DS

Blade

"Original Blade"
Nintendo have announced the 3DS today.

Apparently it's a "new" handheld that'll incorporate 3d technology never before seen in a handheld. It appears that this is in fact the next generation in the DS line, what the Gameboy colour was to the Gameboy, not just an update like the DSi and DS Lite but it'll still include the 2 screens, the bottom of which will still be a touch screen. It's due for release in early 2011.

Many sources are saying that there are a few features that are yet to be announced, but the graphics will be the main feature of the 3DS. According to Nintendo, all will be announced at E3 and the hardware will actually be playable. Early rumours are suggesting that the 3DS will include a tilt sensor, an analogue stick and a Sharp LCD panel.

This is a major announcement as the DS has been the king of hardware for the last 5 years, handheld or otherwise. While some will say that it's too early for the DS to have a successor, the DS has had a 3D Mario, a 2D Mario, 2 Zeldas, a Metroid, a Pokemon, 2 Mario and Luigi games and a Mario Kart. So it seems that Nintendo have actually covered all the bases first-party-game-wise. So maybe it is time for the next gen.

Thoughts?

Recently I haven't messed with Nintendo in terms of technology. The Wii was a letdown outside of the Mario games, so much so that I went out and spent my money on a PS3 to make up for that horrible purchase. The DS was inferior to the PSP in almost everything that wasn't touch screen, and the iPod Touch shits all over the DS, DS Lite, and DSi. But I have to admit this sounds pretty awesome. Hopefully this isn't just all hype. Maybe they can win me back with this one. 3D is something that really hasn't been touched on much in the video game industry and hopefully Nintendo can set the standard. The Game Boy series were a pivotal part of my childhood and since then and even until now, I have been at the very least interested in what Nintendo does. Hopefully the Nintendo 3DS makes up for their last few less than stellar products.

Although I don't know if Nintendo has the available resources to make 3D technology into the DS, I do think it's worth a try, and if Nintendo successfully transfers 3D technology to their devices, it would serve with great potential, because even thou the Nintendo DS has it's advantages of being handheld and something you can carry around with you basically everywhere, in case you wanna do a little bit of "gaming" it simply isn't the same as sitting down with your computer, your Playstation or your Xbox when it comes to the graphical advantages.

And even if Nintendo fits 3D technology into the DS, then I still think their gaming platform opponents will be superior because no matter the time, I will have my doubts how much graphical improvement that can really be fitted into such a small device, without it still having its flaws here and there.

Although I don't know if Nintendo has the available resources to make 3D technology into the DS,

You do realise Nintendo once had a 3D handheld, it flopped, it's been about 15 years since then, they can pull it off.

It's exciting news but nothing that's made me mark yet, nothing really was said, though it should be an exciting development.

I'm glad it is handheld as essentially from a TV POV you'd need to be at the right angle, here with the handheld you can just move it to the right angle.

I've also read that there will be analogue added, cracking stuff! Means we won't have all the games in touch screen, thank goodness!

You do realise Nintendo once had a 3D handheld, it flopped, it's been about 15 years since then, they can pull it off.

Can't exactly say I did Lee.

But if that's the case, then certainly they should be able to pull it off, just wondering if they will be able to compete with the other platforms when it comes to gaming.
Guess only time will show if it becomes a success although.

More updates:
You had the hard news for breakfast, so how's about some less official, but still pretty robust, fodder for brunch? Asahi in Japan offers the first word on how the 3DS achieves its 3D-ness by suggesting that the new portable game machine with feature a parallax barrier LCD from Sharp. The tech has apparently already been deployed in a few cellphones over there and is described as "unsuitable" for large-screen TVs. This is corroborated by Nikkei, which suggests that the screens on the new device will be smaller than 4 inches diagonally, placing it closer to the DSi than the 4.2-inch DSi XL / LL. Other news from the latter source include so-called 3D control stick(s), though it's not entirely clear whether this'll be anything massively new or just a pair of analog nubs for us to push around. Either way, Nintendo is said to have secured patents for the new control methodology in Japan late last year. The Nikkei article also mentions improvements in WiFi transfers and battery life, as well as a new vibration function. Now that we've got all that out of the way, can someone please tell us if this thing has Tegra inside or not?

There aren't many mass production options on the market when it comes to glasses-less 3D displays for Nintendo's forthcoming 3DS handheld gaming console. And according to early leaks from Japan, the special Nintendo 3DS display is supposedly built by Hitachi and Sharp using a parallax barrier system. So guess where this new 3.4-inch, 480 x 854 pixel display is likely headed? While Sharp doesn't say for sure, it's a good bet that this parallax barrier 3D LCD will be fronting the user interface on the 3DS. Unlike the 3D displays you'll find in modern 3D HDTVs requiring the viewer to wear active or passive glasses, Sharp's display uses a parallax barrier system to create a sense of depth by using a series of vertical slits in an ordinary LCD to direct light to the right and left eyes. The panel offers a 500nit brightness, 1,000:1 contrast, and is available with or without a touchscreen. A non-touchscreen version of the display goes into mass production before June but there's no specific mention of the touchscreen timeline (but we imagine it won't be far behind). In other words, we could have a Nintendo 3DS on the market before the holidays. Just saying. Guess we'll find out for sure at E3 in June.

What can I find on Sharps screen?
Finally I had the chance to enjoy Sharp’s new 2D/3D LCD that does not require 3D glasses. What I have seen so far has been quite disappointing, Sorry Fujifilm, but Sharp’s new technology is REALLY impressive and I cannot wait to have such a screen in my 3DS ! Not only the colors and brightness are good as advertised, but also the 3D Ghost-less Effect on this LCD is really impressive.

Unfortunately our picture can’t do any justice to the work done by Sharp here but you will have to trust us on this one… Simply put, Sharp have succeeded to do what Sony and Panasonic did without the need for 3D Glasses!

Can I say DAMN! Seems like Nintendo are pulling the stops for this one, since the SNES they've sat back with power and graphics and what not, but can you imagine the 3D aspects of a DS with the Tegra chip? That would be pretty sweet. Plus I've looked into the Sharp screen a lot, ie it is 3D and touch screen with the ability to switch it to 2D and non touch screen.

Hopefully Nintendo won't balls this up like they did with the virtual boy ¬¬

This is a pretty mindblowing development. I think that the DS is one of the best things to happen in gaming in a good while. Now they're one uping themselves with this. As excited as I am, I'm also nervous. Like Lee pointed out, the Virtual Boy was hyped to hell and fell ridiculously flat. I had waited months for it's release and when I finally got it...hoyl fuck. Horrible from the very beginning. I think the idea had excited it's developers that the actual execution had taken a back seat to the coolnes of the very idea. We've really just started to experiment with 3D in the last couple of years, are we ready for an undertaking like this? I have plenty of faith in Nintendo and I think this will be a huge step towards the limitless future of gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back