Nintendo at E3 2011 - A 3D Cafe

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Traditionally Nintendo have one bad E3 followed by a good one followed by a bad one, last one was a good one but there's no way this one can be a bad one. What's on offer? Wii, 3DS, DS and of course the elusive Project Cafe will finally be unveiled. What can we expect to see in action? Probably a lot of stuff, so let us begin.

Wii

Lets start at one of the dying consoles, I won't mention the DS as frankly I can't see it getting much time at all, the Wii however I can. I did a preview thing a few weeks ago about the future of the Wii with what to expect (this can be found in th Wii more than meets the eye thread) I'm sure you can see all of these: Xenoblade, Last Story, Vitality, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and of course Dragon Quest X. Vitality is 50/50 as it was shelved from last years show and we've seen glimpses of the others (Xenoblade and Last Story are already out in Japan and Pandora's tower will be by E3) however Dragon Quest X hasn't been shown at all. This is a Wii exclusive and it would really be a good end to the console if I'm honest, the franchise is mega popular in Japan and it has grown substantially in the UK over the past few years., that or we may just see it shifted over to Cafe.

3DS

Ah yes Nintendo's little baby, that has huge potential but hasn't really been tapped yet. What to expect?

Firstly the 3DSware and Virtual console go live on the day of E3 here in the UK (the day before for you Americans) so expect an announcement of plenty of titles. Hopes could only be this includes the ones fans have wanted for ages such as Super Meat Boy. Virtual Console would probably get a few names thrown out as well, it's launched that week so you may as well plug it.

Secondly expect the non gaming side to be plugged, for the UK this is pretty much Eurosport, SkySports and probably some film thingy, for the USA this is going to involve Netflix. Rumours also abound that they will announce a video service too so look out for that.

Thirdly expect some release dates for the big titles: StarFox64 (Lylat wars as it was here on release), Kid Icarus, Professor Layton, Mario Kart and Paper Mario among others.

Lastly 3DS wise expect some new games to be announced. We're already confirmed to see some more of the Super Mario 3DS game which is all but guaranteed to involve the Raccoon Mario. Also expect a Pokemon game to be announced because frankly a Pokemon game not getting announced is like Eastenders failing to end on the “dun-dun-dundundundundundun”

Project cafe
Ah yes Project Cafe. That's what everyone is wanting from E3 from Nintendo. However I shall do my Project Cafe preview tomorrow, because I'm evil like that.
Of course this was posted at www.nintendolee.com

One other thing that you forgot to mention is that apparently Nintendo is planning on revealing the succesor to the Wii at E3 this year, and is said to launch next year.

Here's part of the article:

Over the past couple of weeks speculation has been growing that Nintendo is about to announce a successor to the Wii console. It all started when a price drop for the Wii to $149.99 was predicted in May, a few weeks before E3 starts. Then a number of respected retailers actually dropped the Wii from $199.99 to $169.99. At the same time, rumors of a Wii 2 appeared with the new machine expected to outperform a PS3 while including a Blu-ray drive.

It seems the rumors were all too much for Nintendo not to respond, and they have now confirmed the successor to the Wii will be unveiled at E3. We also have it confirmed that the new machine will launch in 2012. It’s thought that launch will be after April next year as Nintendo did not list the machine in its financials for this year, which ends in April 2012

This article (which you can find the link for at the bottom of this post) is not an official statement from Nintendo, so I would take it with a grain of salt, but if this is true then this would be a huge announcement. The Wii has been a huge succes in the past five and-a-half years and the prospect of Nintendo releasing a new behemoth on the world is big.

I'm also looking forward to what is to be shown in regards to the 3DS. The device is still very, very new and I'm curious to see what big name titles are in the works. I would love to see an announcment for a Mario RPG. I know that there is a Paper Mario in the works and I would love to see it ready to drop.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/nintendo-will-reveal-wii-2-at-e3-launch-2012-20110425/

The opening paragraph and last paragraph both mention Project cafe, I even say "However I shall do my Project Cafe preview tomorrow, because I'm evil like that." that will be the biggest news for Nintendo at the event and Nintendo have actually confirmed they are unveiling it at E3, the code name is Project Cafe.

My apologies, I didn't make the connection that they were one and the same. I should have researched that before saying anything. Sorry about that.

I'm excited even more now that it is definantly going to be shown. I'm curious to see how the graphics will be on the newer console. Nintendo's well known series' have always managed to shine regardless of the systems limitations, but I wonder if they will manage to deliver on other games. I've heard they were using blu-ray technology, so there is definantly some promise there.

As long as they keep making good games like they did on the Wii I'll be happy.

For those who don't know Project Café is the codename for the next generation console from Nintendo. That's right an eighth generation console is about to be unveiled at E3 and Nintendo are apparently first off the starting block. As you see I'm refusing to call it Wii2 as it's not the Wii2 but a brand new console.

You name it and it's been rumoured, everything from blu ray to huge hard drives, to no hard drive to time machines (I made that last one up). So what can we expect?

Controller

Nintendo traditionally have something different with their controllers, whether it's the revolutionary (but rather uncomfortable) N64 pad, to the great Gamecube pad (my favourite one to date) or the simple WiiMote Nunchuck combination that works so well. What does Café offer in way of controllers? Well if you believe the rumours it's your typical pad in that it has the two analogue sticks, the ABXY buttons, shoulder buttons, oh and they're throwing in a screen for good measure. That's the rumour that it will have a tablet like screen on the controller, whether that works or not will be a different matter and I find it strange that they've gone that route when they have hand-helds with two screens that could just connect.

Hardware

I could go into the ins and outs but I think this video by IGN covers it best. It shows that the graphics are slightly better than the PS3/360 going off their intel, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit better than what they say due to custom parts.

Software

Do I really need to cover this? Expect a few launch titles to be revealed, probably something like Pikmin or one of the lesser known franchises, or even Skyward Sword to be shown on it. Also expect quite a few 3rd party announcements and sadly that will include another ton of Ubisoft ports.

I'm particularly excited for Nintendo's press conference this year at E3. It's always an exciting time when new consoles are revealed. Speculations are at a high, rumored designs and functions leaked and anticipation through the roof. The Wii I think will have minimal focus this year with Skyward Sword taking up all the remaining flame that's left burning for the Wii, knowing Nintendo thought,I expect a nice surprise or two.

A lot of the focus will go towards the 3DS and Project Cafe. The 3DS, while not leaving the mark Nintendo was hoping for, the system is still new and has plenty of time to leave that mark. I do expect a bucket list of games to be announced for the system and a good focus on the much anticipated Ocarina of Time remake, which almost everybody is waiting for.

This leaves me to "Project Cafe". Probably the most talk about commodity in the gaming industry right now. After the surprise smash success that was the Wii you can be sure Microsoft and Sony will be paying close attention to what Nintendo is cooking up. As far as the system is concerned, well the graphics are suppose to be Superior to both the 360 and PS3, not by much as it sounds. I think its clear both Microsoft and Sony's new consoles will boast much higher graphic capability and I fear that once again after a few years, people will complain that Nintendo's new system isn't on par with Sony's or Microsofts in terms of graphics. As a Nintendo super fan, I can't stress at how tiring that story gets, since when was Nintendo about graphics anyway? Moving on, If there is anything more curious about the system and is capabilities itself, it will be the controller. Nintendo always manages to put a controller together that always seems to work. With the Wii-mote taking innovation to a new level it seems Nintendo wants to regress back to a more traditional feel..but with some sort of screen..hm, interesting. Like the DS, I imagine this screen will have touchscreen capability and might serve as a guide maybe. Who knows, it might also have similar motion controls like the PS3 controller to add another element to gaming. Will the system have backwards compatibility? If so does that mean more motion controls? After all the Wii has about 3 different ways you can play a game. Project Cafe might be similar. We obviously won't know until E3. Once again, all eyes are on Nintendo. So Lee, I'm already giddy and bouncing off the walls waiting on this event and I can't hardly wait to see what Nintendo presents us with.

After stealing the show at last year's E3 all eyes are on Nintendo this year. With a new console to unveil, the 3DS to push and new games to announce, the big N looks ready to change the industry once again.

What more can be said about Project Cafe that hasn't already? Superior graphics to it's competitors, controllers with built-in touchscreens and all that jazz. Hopefully this thing doesn't end up putting me below the poverty line. What I do hope is that Nintendo further embraces online with a much more robust online service with this console. A smoother interface, friend's list, cross-game chat along with all the bells and whistles of a modern online gaming experience.

Project Cafe games will probably be a new Pikmin, as Lee mentioned, a new Mario of course, and possibly a new Star Fox. In addition, Retro Studios has a new game in the works. Could it be Metroid Prime 4 or perhaps a new HD, 2D Metroid?

As far as the 3DS goes, new games and updates to already announced games is guaranteed. After the most lackluster launch line-up in recent memory, Nintendo's really got to push these new games hard to remind people why they should investment in a 3DS. Of course the debut of the new Mario game for the device should take care of that. I would also love some new info on Mega Man Legends 3 and Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D.

The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword should receive a more concrete release window; possibly holiday season. But with Skyward Sword quietly missing it's original spring release, one has to wonder if they're planning to release a version of the game on Project Cafe, just as they did with Twilight Princess years ago.

Aside from announcing concrete information and revealing the look and design of the “Project Café,” there is nothing that I am excited for during Nintendo’s press conference this year.

While I’m not sold on gaming console’s needing to go to the next generation this year, or next, I do think Nintendo needs to make this jump in order to remain a contender in the console race.

When information regarding “Project Café” is officially announced at E3 this year, it will provide a rough idea of what next generation console’s will be capable of and what we can expect in the future of gaming.

It will also be nice for Nintendo to announce a release date, pricing, and most importantly what games we can expect, and what game developers are interested in developing for the “Project Café.

So E3 came and went, as a whole it was nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary yet it still filled me with excitement. My aim is to break E3 down into four chunks: What the competition did, 3DS, a look at all the Zelda announcements and of course WiiU. Today I'll look at the 3DS and the five things that got me a bit excited.

5. Do a barrel roll!

That made me mark out just a little to hear that and it got quite an applause from those in attendance. Star Fox 64 3D should have gone with Lylat Wars 3D as there are too many numbers at the end, alas I digress. I've seen footage of this on a 3DS screen and it looks pretty impressive, there was nothing new to show us aside from a mode of taking photos of yourself and appearing in game.

4. From the highest of highs to the depths of the sea...

mk3ds.jpg

If you saw the footage you'll have also seen that Mario Kart now comes with underwater levels and hang-gliding. This looks like a fun addition which most people said didn't seem like a gimmick but natural. The thing I was most excited about though is that Retro Studios had some input on this game....Nice!

3. Tanooki?

super_mario_3d_play_01_thumb.jpg

I got a bit excited when I saw this, though later reports indicate that this has replaced the racoon (sad times). Whilst most people don't care much for the plumber (I'll get to that in the WiiU write up) I, however, do. It was good to see a mix of the classic SMB3 feel and the 3D Galaxy combinations. I'm pretty excited for this game.

2. More AR? Yes please!

ki_ar-2.jpg

I've played two demo's of Kid Icarus, I'm not a fan of the original two and I thought the 3DS version looks amazing. Though it seemed to suffer the weird mix that the original two had, is it a shooter? Platformer? Adventure game? All three? Well I was ready to switch off my brain whilst the Icarus stuff was being shown until the casually announced that you can play with AR cards too. Will they come with the game? Not sure but I think they'll probably go down the Pokemon card route.

1. I'm a Luigi number one!

A surprise? Nice. A game with Luigi? Nice. A sequel to Mansion? Nice. Multiple mansions? Even better! I was quite excited but here's the trailer:

All are due for release by year out aside from Luigi's Mansion 2 which is due for early 2012.

Originally posted at www.nintendolee.com

I'm very excited about the new additions to Mario Kart. The underwater levels should provide some fun experience. Also, hang-gliding karts are something I never expected to see. I do wonder how they will work out. I'm still waiting on getting a 3DS but Kid Icarus will be one of the first games I get. I never played the original game but I've seen nothing but positive things being written about the 3DS version. It's nice to see Luigi getting another game by himself. He deserves it even though I probably won't buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back