Nintendo Announce Next Gen Console

lenguy

First Immortality..Then the Bitches
So there is a lot of buzz circling around the net and various gaming sites that Nintendo is set to unveil their next generation home-console at this years E3. Not much as been revealed so far but sources claim the the system will be able to run in full HD and is capable of 1080p resolutions. It is rumored to be even more powerful than both the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360. There are also claims that states the new Nintendo console will use an all-new controller and not an updated Wii controller, with other various sources saying it will have a built-in screen which may carry some sort of touch capability.The console is also rumored that it will be backwards compatible with current Wii software.Then there are also more rumors going around that the console may also even support some 3D capabilities behind it although nothing has been confirmed.

Nintendo has reportedly been showing the console to publisher to be gearing up for a late 2012 release. Also its interesting to mention that apparently Nintendo is eager to recapture the hardcore market with this new console. It will be interesting to see if they can balance that and at the same time not abandon the huge mass of casual gamers they acquired with the WII.

So what does everybody think of these alleged rumors towards the consoles capability?

Is there anything you would add to the console to help improve it? Maybe build on something that the Wii had? and is Nintendo on the right path? Or is it simply to early to tell

*EDIT:Title is suppose to read Console..not concole..:banghead: just a typo

I'm not at all surprised that Nintendo is starting to think about the next gen.

Wii is a hell of a system, but a systems shelf life is usually around 5-8 years. Wii came out in 2006, so it's getting to the point where it's time to think about revealing a potential successor.

As for the rumored specs of the system, and what I see them doing.

HD: I think there was a 0% chance they would escape HD again. They didn't have HD on Wii because it wasn't as widespread and they didn't want to cater to a small (at the time) portion of the audience. Now that HD is pretty much the norm, they will comply and Wii 2 (or whatever it is called) will be HD. YES on HD.

3D: Nintendo has been dead set against supporting something that isn't mainstream. 3DTV is a very high end device right now that is not in enough homes to merit making the system 3D capable right now. Maybe they can figure out a way to do it like Sony did (I believe it was a system update that made the system 3D-capable, if I'm correct). However, even then, they haven't liked the idea of 3D glasses, so unless there is a no-glasses 3DTV that becomes mainstream, I don't see a 3DWii. NO on 3D.

New controller: Every system has a new controller. Obviously Wii 2 will have a new controller. However, how far will they take it? I suspect that they will have a motion controller and a regular controller, so as to capture both the "hardcore gamer" and casual markets. Will there be a touch aspect to the controller? I wouldn't be surprised if there is. YES on new controller

Backwards Compatibility: I believe, especially for the casual market, this is an essential, and there's no way they can't have it. YES on backwards compatibility.

How can I improve on all of this? I really can't. Nintendo knows what they're doing here, and what market they are attacking. There's no way they can put out a system that isn't as powerful as the current gen stuff, as that's just bad business. But they also can't make it so super-powerful to out-price themselves from the casual market, especially with competition from their own previous system (which will likely still have a pretty long shelf-life, even after Wii 2 is released).

I've heard tons of rumours about this, some as silly as it's the same power as the XBOX360 (which is a BAD BAD BAD MOVE) to it being more powerful than the PS3 (which is should be being an VIIIth gen console). I am 90% sure Nintendo will announce a new console at E3, I made a thread on it in Januaryish that this would happen. Evidence includes the guy who made Smash Bros said he wants to make an HD game and Wii sales have been on the decline recently, the innovation of Nintendo mixed with great graphics will make a good mix of casual and hardcore.

HD is a done deal for sure, Iwata said himself that the reason the Wii wasn't HD was because in 2006 less than half the population had HD TVs now it's a lot more than 50%.

3D with glasses is a no, with a TV is a no. Few people have 3D TV's the market is not there at all at the moment. Maybe in 5 years time though!

Controller The main rumours are this has a screen on the controller kind of like a tablet. Sounds interesting.

Backwards compatibility
is a must and I've heard a rumour it will even play GCN games as well.

Yeah the HD is guaranteed to be a done deal, I can't see how they can possibly avoid it this time around. There was more information that was released on the controller today.The system itself has been codenamed "Project Cafe" Which sounds a bit odd but as for the controller

Copy and Pasted from IGN

According to our sources, the new Nintendo controller will feature dual analog sticks in addition to standard d-pad and trigger buttons. It'll mirror a Gamecube controller in general function but not in specific form.

French website 01.net has published additional details (via Develop), that say the touch capable screen on the controller is 6 inches in size, but we were unable to confirm the accuracy of the report. Additional details about the console's hardware specs could also not be confirmed.

Players will actually be able to stream game content to the controller screen from the console. It's unclear at this time what type of content it will be, whether it's full games you can take with you on the go, mini-games or applications.

Sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console, saying it's like a miniature television. The screen size on the controller is also confirmed to be six inches in size.

To say the least it sounds weird but I am nonetheless intrigued. Nintendo has always managed to create something that works and something that is different. It sounds like they have a DS type of deal going on with the dual screens on the T.V then on the controller itself. Which can be diversify the game play and add some new elements, if it worked so well for the DS, why not? I generally can't picture it so it will be interesting to see just how it comes together and actually functions.

Oh yes I refused to get involved with these shenanigans on the rumours of the project cafe but then something happened. The following was posted on my blog by an A.Nonymous "Hey Nintendo Lee, I may have some good information for you. I'll send it in the mail" that sounded rather intriguing. Alas my front door knocked and there on the floor was an envelope, which was weird because A.Nonymous didn't know where I lived and had just posted 1 second before hand. I opened the envelope to find five pieces of paper.
hni_0013.jpg
hni_0014.jpg
What did the five pieces relate to? Project Cafe, and five particular aspects of it.

5) The name

Cafe, Stream, Wii2 are all some names that are thrown around. One of the confidential pieces of paper I received had these as well as Playstation4, Playstation 5 and Wii 3.

hni_0015.jpg

The back explained that a jump straight to Wii 3 would make gamers realise that this is a true jump in consoles and that it's not twice as good as the current Wii but at least three times, Wii 3 would be pronounced Wii Cubed as a nod to the GC.

4) The console itself

The console looks like a hybrid of every Nintendo console ever. It's a case of a NES with cartridge slots for both NES and SNES at the front. The SNES one also doubles as a N64 cartridge reader, on the top is a Gamecube disk holder and on the front below the cartridge ones is a disk reader for Wii games and Wii3 games.

hni_0016.jpg
3) Release date

Whilst mentioned in a joke by NGamer on twitter, little did they know that the release date would be right.

hni_0018.jpg

I was amazed when I saw the picture of the phonebox knowing that the Wii3 will come complete with a time machine, and because of that the console has been out for three years. It was released in March 2008. Astounding.

2) Price

For some reason this page wouldn't photograph, but let me assure you despite rumours that the price will be $400 I can confirm that the console will actually just cost $3.50. That's tree fiddy, not three hundred and fifty dollars but three dollars and fifty cents. This is possible due to the time machine which gets parts from the future where it's so cheap to make something like that.

1) Controller

There are some controllers dotted around on the internet about what it will look like. I can confirm that all of these are in fact a lie. It will not come with one screen but in fact three. The screen at the top will be a hologram based screen and there will be two at the sides, Nintendo have also opted not to go with the Classic controller or the GCN pad, instead it is going for an updated classic.
hni_0017.jpg
I feel lucky to reveal this to the internet.

Of course this was orifinally posted at http://nintendolee.com/2011/04/22/feature-project-cafe-rumours/

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf

wii2r7db.png

That’s official. Nintendo have announced some tiny bits of information and BBC are putting the following quote to Iwata ” “It will offer a new way of playing games within the home”

Not much is known about the console (sources have indicated that my exclusive look was false, I don’t believe them!) though there is one thing that is known…I will be buying an HD TV in the next year!

At this time, I think Nintendo are being quite clever. Not only are they allowing enough time for the monetary problem of the world to die down a little (if possible), they are leaving it long enough that people will have forgotten about the Kinect and the Move.

At this point though, I am wondering what is going to be included with the new console. A lot of the talk ahs been about it just becoming an HD console, is that right? Either way, this is one of the things that need to happen. Nintendo needs to try and level the playing field again and HD is one of the ways to accomplish that. When you think about it, they stole a march on Microsoft and Sony but then the competition caught up and now have vastly superior consoles than the Wii that can do whatever the Wii can. Nintendo needs to innovate again and I am sure that they have more on their mind than just replacing the way with an upgraded version.

No, I think this is a much wider redevelopment and I am very excited to see what they go for. You can bet that there is going to be motion control in the new console too. It is too lucrative a market to not keep going at it. However, I don't know what the next big innovation is for gaming but if anyone can find it, it will be Nintendo. I am worried that they may be getting a bit out of their depth here. Microsoft and Sony have vastly superior consoles to the Wii now and the Wii 2 is going to have to try and get a foothold on the competition. They are stealing a march on the big two right now and need to take advantage of that fact. If they can innovate big and bring the console onto the new age, in relation to graphics and performance, then this is going to be a very big deal indeed.

If you follow the rumours you'll know it's a lot more than HD. Since when have Nintendo pushed graphical limitations?

Game informer have been a great source of rounding up rumours including this on the controller:

The Controller
Yesterday, we ran a story based on a CVG report claiming the new Nintendo controller has a built-in HD screen. Today, all reports seem to indicate that the screen is a reality, but there is some question as to whether it's HD or not. The 01net story indicated that there would be a screen, but that it would feature "sub-HD" graphics. However, it said that the screen will be a six-inch "one-touch" (as opposed to multi-touch) touchscreen.

The controller unit has been compared to "iPad with buttons" by Destructoid, but its report stresses that the screen is much less costly and doesn't offer the same level of "power or performance" as the iPad's touchscreen.

More conventional controller inputs surround the touchscreen: a d-pad, L and R bumpers, two triggers, and "possibly more." The unit has a front-facing camera and will also have motion controls. However, the Wii sensor bar has been integrated into the controller, so you would only need the controller itself for Wii remote functions.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...mor-roundup-nintendo-39-s-new-hd-console.aspx

Other rumours include blu ray and that's just from a technical standpoint. You can be assured they'll have something up their sleeve, they always do. Most sources have noted that is is not a Wii2 but a brand new console.

I'm very excited.

I can't doubt that Nintendo will screw up on the actual hardware. Their basic consoles are always great and they always follow it up with great software. For now we can only speculate on how powerful they can make it. I'm a little sceptical about how much more powerful this is going to be than the current generation.

As such the biggest question that they can answer for me is what gimmick will they use to make up for the power. All this talk of a screen on a controller concerns me. I can't see it being enough. Motion control seems to be a given. Again I just wonder what these gimmicks are going to replace. I'd love to see a traditional console but I know it won't happen.

The thing is it is exciting, I was talking to my friend who's a massive Xbox fan girl and she said she wasn't bothered by the fact that Nintendo are releasing a new console. I found that quite absurd to be honest. Traditionally they move the industry forward whether it's with the NES, SNES, 3D on the N64, we won't mention Gamecube! but the Wii reopened the door to casual gaming and motion controls. Then you had the portable aspect, plus the DS and more casual and now with the 3DS and 3D without glasses.

It's not just an exciting time for the Nintendo people but also for the industry as a whole.

So they confirmed it now huh? Awesome, I must say I'm really looking forward to E3 this year to just exactly find out what Nintendo has cooked up. Nintendo as of late has been all about innovation, in an attempt to leave the other guy trying to play catch up. So with more competition these days than there was 15 years ago means Nintendo I think is trying to stay ahead of the pack and assert their dominance as king pin of gaming, as far as Nintendo goes, the other competitors are just along for the ride.

Its always been interesting to see what Nintendo has in store for us and I think this year will be no exception. With all the news and rumors floating around it seems like this could be one monster of a system. I'm still on the fence with the controller though. Six inc is rather big, especially for a screen on a controller so I hope the thing isn't to chunky. The idea of the sensor bar incorporated into the controller I like. I assume there will be another sensor bar built into the system to pick up the commands from the controller. Other than that it sounds like a regular conventional type of controller. I would also imagine that it will be motion control incorporated as well seeing as how its likely to be backwards compatible with current WII software. I don't see them abandoning the motion controls entirely as well, I mean it did prove to be quite a success, plus with Mircosoft and Sony now in the game, I can't see Nintendo letting them continue with all the spoils.

So yeah, this is all very interesting. I can't wait to actually see the thing in action at E3, once again, all eyes are on Nintendo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back