• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NFL Draft 2014

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
This year is an unusually deep QB class. While the entire order has not been released, we know the Houston Texans will have the number one pick. Here is Kiper's big board as of 1 Jan

Player Pos. School Grade
1. Jadeveon Clowney* DE S Carolina 96
2. Anthony Barr OLB UCLA 96
3. Jake Matthews* OT Texas A&M 95
4. Sammy Watkins* WR Clemson 94
5. Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo 93
6. C.J. Mosley ILB Alabama 93
7. Timmy Jernigan* DT Florida St 93
8. Marqise Lee* WR USC 93
9. T. Bridgewater* QB Louisville 92
10. Taylor Lewan OT Michigan 92
11. Stephon Tuitt* DE Notre Dame 92
12. Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma St 92
13. Eric Ebron* TE N Carolina 92
14. Cyrus Kouandjio* OT Alabama 91
15. Blake Bortles QB CENTRAL FLORIDA 91
16. Dominique Easley DE Florida 91
17. Louis Nix III DT Notre Dame 91
18. H. Clinton-Dix* S Alabama 91
19. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu* CB Oregon 91
20. Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota 90
21. Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan St 90
22. Johnny Manziel* QB Texas A&M 90
23. Scott Crichton* DE Oregon St 90
24. Mike Evans* WR Texas A&M 90
25. Morgan Moses OT Virginia 89
26. Marcus Roberson* CB Florida 89
27. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt 89
28. Loucheiz Purifoy* CB Florida 88
29. Paul Richardson WR Colorado 88
30. Zack Martin OT Notre Dame 88
31. Cyril Richardson OG Baylor 87
32. Carlos Hyde RB Ohio State 87

a lot of knee jerk reaction would have the texans taking Teddy Bridgewater, but to me, the best way for Houston to "win the draft" is to possibly work a trade for extra picks, and still end up with clowney.

I believe the St. Louis Rams have the 2nd pick, via the Redskins. I think it'll be very interesting to see what they do. I think Rams fans have come to terms that Sam Bradford will never be special, but is he worth replacing with a 2nd pick?

I think the jury is still out on that one for one more year, especially since 1. there are so many top-flight defensive players near the top of the board 2. they could still get a QB prospect later if they wanted to. There is also a LOT of potential danger on that offense if they pick up Sammy Watkins or Marquise Lee, to add to their already dangerous array of weapons on offense.

I still think the Texans would be wise in investing into a QB with the first pick (with whomever they like most, not necessarily Bridgewater). While Schaub was a good quarterback for them before this year, let's not forget that he's now going to be 33 years old this next season. Some guys are able to come back after some down years (such as Kurt Warner in his NYG years and Favre in his 2005-06 years), but those guys are usually ones who have shown they can be a top quarterback. Schaub isn't anywhere near Warner or Favre's level.

Additionally, getting a QB would be a much cheaper option for them to build their roster in other areas. Schaub just signed an extension last year but if he's cut during this offseason the Texans would save 10 million. Compare that to what the QB would likely get (Luck got 4/22 and he's the most recent example, so we'll go with those numbers) that's a nice amount of change that could be used towards free agency or resigning some of their own players (JJ Watt has only 1 year left so he's due for a big payday).

Finally, I don't think you can bring Schaub back after what the fanbase did to him during the season. His confidence was absolutely shattered. While he's a professional and you would expect him to ignore those calls, sometimes it gets to a player and he just needs a change of scenery. That's what I feel Schaub needs more than anything. That fanbase will not root for him and once he throws that first interception it'll be even rougher. For both the franchises and his own sake he should probably be cut during the offseason. They plateaued with Schaub and would be best off going in a younger direction.

I still think the Texans would be wise in investing into a QB with the first pick (with whomever they like most, not necessarily Bridgewater). While Schaub was a good quarterback for them before this year, let's not forget that he's now going to be 33 years old this next season. Some guys are able to come back after some down years (such as Kurt Warner in his NYG years and Favre in his 2005-06 years), but those guys are usually ones who have shown they can be a top quarterback. Schaub isn't anywhere near Warner or Favre's level.

Additionally, getting a QB would be a much cheaper option for them to build their roster in other areas. Schaub just signed an extension last year but if he's cut during this offseason the Texans would save 10 million. Compare that to what the QB would likely get (Luck got 4/22 and he's the most recent example, so we'll go with those numbers) that's a nice amount of change that could be used towards free agency or resigning some of their own players (JJ Watt has only 1 year left so he's due for a big payday).

Finally, I don't think you can bring Schaub back after what the fanbase did to him during the season. His confidence was absolutely shattered. While he's a professional and you would expect him to ignore those calls, sometimes it gets to a player and he just needs a change of scenery. That's what I feel Schaub needs more than anything. That fanbase will not root for him and once he throws that first interception it'll be even rougher. For both the franchises and his own sake he should probably be cut during the offseason. They plateaued with Schaub and would be best off going in a younger direction.

Oh, im in no way contending they stick with Schaub, :lmao: he is looonngg done, and is assuredly getting cut this offseason. He and Kubiak were joined at the hip, and now both of them will be gone. I expect to see Schaub staring for the Raiders next year, because it feels like something they would do.

Perhaps see what you got with Case Keenum, work a trade for Kirk Cousins, etc. Being able to pair Clowney with Watt, along with possibly banking a couple more valueable players, seems way too tempting to me.

Oh, im in no way contending they stick with Schaub, :lmao: he is looonngg done, and is assuredly getting cut this offseason. He and Kubiak were joined at the hip, and now both of them will be gone. I expect to see Schaub staring for the Raiders next year, because it feels like something they would do.

Ah, I thought Sly was hinting in the NCAA thread that keeping Schaub wouldn't be a bad idea.

Truthfully it could be a smart buy-low option. If a change of scenery is all you need and the rest of your roster is good enough he can take you to the playoffs. If Alex Smith can do it I still think Schaub can.

Perhaps see what you got with Case Keenum, work a trade for Kirk Cousins, etc. Being able to pair Clowney with Watt, along with possibly banking a couple more valueable players, seems way too tempting to me.

That's part of the reason why Schaub sat once they were out was to see what they had in Keenum. He looked like he had a little Romo in him but I don't think he's the QB I'd wanna roll with to get him. As for Cousins, while I'm a huge mark for the guy, I'm not spending a draft pick to get him when he's either going to be a bust or have to get paid really soon (only 2 years left on his deal). He's too turnover prone and truthfully the unknown in some of these QB prospects would be much more appealing to me as a head coach. You know this is a QB league and the best way to get it is through the draft because then you can create a power quickly (just look at Seattle, San Fran, Indy, etc.).

Watt/Clowney combo sounds appealing, but I don't think they get him if they trade down. I don't see the Rams moving on from Bradford this year because he's put together two decent years before his injury, and since they're somewhat set at DE with Quinn and Long, trading down to get another pick isn't out of the question. I could definitely see Atlanta trading up from the 6 and the Rams taking it since they'd still have most of the pickings they desire if the draft goes how it is anticipated with QBs going early.

Ah, I thought Sly was hinting in the NCAA thread that keeping Schaub wouldn't be a bad idea.
What I was getting at is the troubles in Houston likely extend far beyond Schaub, and since I'm not seeing anyone I consider a can't miss QB, but many solid QBs, I don't think it'd be a bad idea for the Texans not to draft a QB with the first pick.

I don't think, under reasonable circumstances, keeping Schaub would be a bad idea. But there's no way he can stay in Houston after what happened this year.

Houston still has a lot of talent and would be wise to trade the first pick for more assets and then go after a veteran qb in free agency. They could still use a second or third rounder and get a solid qb prospect like AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray, or Tajh Boyd. When it comes to the Rams, Bradford was actually playing really well before his injury and that was before the Rams discovered Zac Stacy and got a running game. I say they draft Sammy Watkins and give it one more year. If Bradford doesn't play well (or can't stay healthy) with Tavon Austin, Sammy Watkins, and Zac Stacy then it's definitely time for them to move on. It may even be smart for them to bring in a good, veteran back up at qb to push him a little.

Exactly what QB would be available for the Texans now that Cutler is signed? Only one is even a decent option as a starter and that's Vick, who's one of the most injury prone starters in the game. I'm not rolling with Josh McCown or Josh Freeman as my starter when Bridgewater would already likely be a better option.

As far as a bit further down the draft, if Watkins or Lee is there for the Lions at 10 Mayhew should run to select them. Watkins scares me a little with injury problems, but healthy him and Calvin would be an absolutely dynamic 1-2 combo. If neither are there (I suspect Lee will still be there atm, Watkins is more of a toss up) I wouldn't mind going down in the first round and going Corner. Possibly Dennard, who I've watched all year at MSU and he's been a hell of a shutdown corner.

Exactly what QB would be available for the Texans now that Cutler is signed? Only one is even a decent option as a starter and that's Vick, who's one of the most injury prone starters in the game. I'm not rolling with Josh McCown or Josh Freeman as my starter when Bridgewater would already likely be a better option.

It's not that there are a bunch of great veteran qbs out there, it's more of the fact that I don't see Bridgewater as being that much better of a qb prospect then guys the Texans could get in the second or third round. The Texans can get by for a year with a guy like McCown, Vick, Henne, or Matt Cassell at the helm. The Texans have big needs at offensive tackle and safety so why not trade the first pick and fill those needs while still getting a good qb prospect at the top of the second or third round? If Cleveland really likes Bridgewater they would be a perfect trade partner.

Blake Bortles has declared for the NFL draft and Brett Hundley has decided to return to school for another year. I think both made the right decision. Bortles is NFL ready and has a chance to compete with Bridgewater and Manziel as being the top qb taken. Hundley really needs another year of seasoning and has a chance to compete with Marcus Mariota as the being the top qb in next years class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back