• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NFL 2010 Preview--NFC West

People's Champ

Bleeding Teal
So with football (preseason at least) coming around the corner, I figure we take a look at each division and discuss what we think is going to happen. It will culminate in a few weeks to making our predictions up to the Super Bowl.

We will start first with the NFC West
(Teams listed in order of my predicted finish)

San Francisco 49ers---2009 Record:8-8 (2nd in division) Projected 2010 Record:10-6

Positives- Finally a year of continuity. The team has had a different offensive coordinator every year since they've drafted Alex Smith. They finally have the same O.C this year. That means the playbook can open up and provide them with more options.

-Mike Singletary. There was a question if he was ready to coach, or if his throwback mentality would work in a new age of football. Well, the team has responded well to his style. With another year under his belt,we shouldn't see a lot of mental mistakes with clock management etc. that have happened since taking over as head coach.

-Defense. Under Singletary, this has been a focal point. He has built a team around a smashmouth type defense.and no one defines that better than LB Patrick Willis. He is one of, if not the best LBs in the league. His physical play has earned him some attention and respect around the league. Ahmad Brooks signed a 2 year deal when he showed himself to be very effective over the final 6 games last year. Manny Lawson,LB, is in a contract year so I expect him to play big this year. They also signed Dre'Bly to a contract, which I think will help on the outside.

Question Marks: Alex Smith. This has to be the biggest question mark for this team. The team made strides last season and is looking to improve this season. Problem is, Smith hasn't proved himself yet. This might be his last opportunity to prove he was worthy of being the top pick. While you could argue that having different offensive coordinators has hurt him, he still hasn't shown himself to be a starting QB. There will be no more excuses. He has the same O.C from last year and with weapons (Gore, Crabtree, Davis), this should be the year he comes into his own. But he is the biggest question mark.

-Singletary. Why would I have him the postives then put him in the question marks. Simple. This is his final opportuinty as well. And its still not clear how much he will allow Smith the freedom to throw the ball. He is a firm believer in running the football, as suggested by this year's draft. He was disappointed by last years running game and maade changes to improve it. He has said that the running game is going to be the focus of the offense. Problem is, this team played better when Smith was allowed to throw the balland make plays. What team will we see this year? A more spread pass attack offense, or a more methodical running attack. What he decides could determine whether the 49ers make the playoffs or not, which in turn could decide his future as head coach of this team.

Overall Outlook--This is the year for the Niners to take the division. With the loses Arizona suffered (see below), a new regime in Seattle, and St Louis still in rebuilding mode, there is no reason the 49ers don't win the division for the first time since 2002.

Arizona Cardnials---2009 Record: 10-6 (Division Winner) Projected 2010 Record:7-9

Positives-Beanie Wells. Seriously the only positive I see from this team. He has great ability to run on the edges and looks like he's going to have a breakout year considering the offense is going to change. I see him with over 1200 yards this season.

Question Marks-Matt Leinart. He has is own question mark. We have no idea how well he will perform this season. It wasn't as if he was a rookie who sat so he could learn. He had the starting job but couldn't keep it. In fact, he wouldn't be in this postion if Warner didn't retire. Obviously the offense is going to change with Leinart at the helm. Can he produce at the most important position? We haven't seen him much so its a big question mark.

-Offense and Defense. The Cards lost a lot of big name players, the biggest being Warner. He was the offense. Yes Boldin, Fitzgerald, Breston were making some great plays, but they were coming from Warner, playing at an extremely high level. Losing him hurts the most. That led to losing Boldin. That one hurts as well because he was able to make big plays if teams were daring enough to double on Fitzgerald. Breston is a good reciever, but teams are going to make him prove to them that he is a threat.

Defensively, they lost defensive captain Karlos Dansby and safety Antre Rolle, both playing big roles on the defense. They replaced Dansby with Joey Porter, who while stillhas the potential to get off blocks and create a pass rush, can cause some locker room tension. With his me first attitude. They have added safety Kerry Rhodes, but unlike Rolle who had the ability to slide from free safety to the slot and play as the 3rd corner, Rhodes is more of a free ranging zone defender.

Overall Outlook--the Cardinals will suffer from losing 4 key players that were leaders/bigcontributors to this team. Leinart is the question mark on this team. How well he performs determines just how many games this team wins. I don't think they can overcomes these loses and will take a step back. Not enough to fall behind the Seahawks or Rams, but enough to miss the playoffs.

Seattle Seahawks---2009 Record:5-11 (3rd in division) Projected 2010 Record:5-11

Postives- 2010 Draft. The Seahawks had maybe the best draft this year.they got Russell Okung in the 1st round which should really help bolter the offensive line. Earl Thomas was also a great pick. This safety has great speed, instincts and ball skills was definately helps out in the backfield. Getting Golden Tate in the 2nd round was a steal and may turn out to be one the best picks for the Seahawks. They also traded a 5th round pick to the Jets for Leon Washington, which was a great move.

Question Marks-Pete Carroll. This has to go under question mark. Can Carroll turn around the notion that he's only a college head coach? After his failed attempt in the NFL the first time around, has he been able to make adjustments to bring sucess to the Seahawks? He had a terrific draft but still is an unknown.

-QBs. Hasselbeck will be 35 in September. Is coming off 2 seasons in which he missed 11 games due to injuries. Nobody can doubt that when he's healthy, he still can be a very good QB, and this offense runs much better with him under center. But can he stay healthy? Should he not be able to their backup is Charlie Whitehurst. This was one of the most interesting, lopsided trades of the offseason. Whitehurst was the Chargers 3rd stringer and has never thrown an NFL pass. Yet, that didn't stop the Seahawks from trading their 40th pick and 2011 3rd rounder for Whitehurst and the 60th pick. They then proceeded to sign him to a 2 year $8 million deal. Having yest see him throw a pass, this is a big question as to whether he can be a legit QB in the NFL.

-Defense. Specifically the pass defense, which ranked 30th last year. Some of the big issues were lack of a playmaking safety, Marcus Trufant's injury, and a lack at the No. 2 corner spot. Trufant's knee seemed to do better as the season progressed, but never fully regained his speed or technique. He is very important to that secondary if they are to improve at all. As for the No.2 spot, Josh Wilson will get a chance to start, but its not for certain. That will be a question mark all season. And drafting Thomas was a big pickup for the 'Hawks. He could provide that playmaking ability that Deon Grant couldn't give them last year. Of course, it helps if you have some soild pass rushers, which Seattle doesn't have. All of their lineman are average at best, so the Linebacker core is going to have to make up for the line's inabilities.

Overall Outlook---While Seattle has made some improvemnts through the draft, they still have needs that will bother them this season. Question marks on defense and at the QB spot have this team still at bottom half of this division.and how will Carroll fare in his return to the NFL? This is a rebuilding season for the 'Hawks, so expect some goreing pains all around.

St. Louis Rams---2009 Record:1-15 (Last in Division) Projected 2010 Record:2-14

Rebulding Mode- This is much harder to do a positive/question marks with a team as bad a shape as the Rams. Start with offense. They have no depth on the line, though they should slightly improve with some needed movement on the line. At QB, its a question of when to put Bradford in. A.J Feeley should probably start at QB, seeing as how he knows O.C Pat Shurmur's offense very well. While he won't be great, or even good at times, it better than throwing Bradford to the wolves. Also, help is needed for Jackson. He has carried the running game by himself, while also coming out of the backfield to make catches. Can't let that happen. The recievers need to step up and help Jackson who is already running the ball too much.

Defensively there are many liabilites. They were 31st in points allowed and 27th in just about every important category. The D-line is just painful to watch. With no true pass rusher on the front 7, its going to be a long season. The cornerbacks have been just as bad, if not worse. One positive is their safeties. O.J Atogwe is a turnover creator with great range and skill.

Overall Outlook---Not too much positivity if your a Rams fan. Outside of Jackson, there is no true quality NFL starter on that team. This rebuilding project is very much in its early stages. So expect more growing pains and terrible games this season.

NFC West Outlook---This division again will be one of the worst in the NFL. With 2 teams in rebuilding mode, and another trying to gather themselevs together after losing key players, the division is seemingly there for the 49ers to take. All 4 teams have question marks at the QB spot and I think the QB will deteermine how well each team does.

Thoughts, opinions, predictions on the NFC West for the 2010 season are welcome.

Reactions: gd
San Fran- They seem poised to finally take the division. Kurt Warner retiring gives the Cards an unproven QB which happens to be the one position that the 49ers finally seemed to have figured out. Alex Smith had a great finish to last season and while he could easily go back to being shit I think he has turned the corner and will continue to improve. He and Vernon Davis have a great rapport with each other and that should continue. Michael Crabtree will also have a full offseason under his belt and should have a good year. Let's not forget Frank Gore at running back either.

On defense they have one of the best linebacking corps in the league. Willis, Brooks, and Lawson are all fantastic players and looking at who their coach is it's no surprise this is the teams strong point. Their secondary took a little hit as they lost Dre Bly who returned to the Detroit Lions but overall this is a very good defense.

Arizona- Even with the losses of Warner, Boldin, Karlos Dansby, and Antrel Rolle they should still be able to finish no worse then second in the division. Their entire season basically depends on Matt Leinart and how he plays. If he shows he can play like the top 10 pick he was a few years ago then the Cards still have a chance to win the division. If he plays like he has in the past then they will be 8-8 at best. However, it does help having Larry Fitzgerald. The defense will once again be the weak spot this season, especially considering the fact they lost two of their best defensive players

Seattle- They will be improved but still won't be competing for the divison title this year under Pete Carroll. They have the most up in the air qb situation. Hasselback still wants to prove he has something left, Charlie Whitehurst was signed to take over but has been unimpressive thus far in the mini camps, and JP Losman who was signed as an afterthought to be third string has been the most impressive thus far in the teams off season workouts.

I expect Justin Forsett to have a big year but that's about it offensively. Their defense has also dropped off considerably the last couple years.

Rams- Still the worst team in the division by far. Bradford will most likely be thrown into the fire right away and we will see whether or not that is a good thing. St Louis is still just a one man team and that one man is running back Stephen Jackson.

San Francisco - They'll be very good. Alex Smith played very well at the end of last year and I don't think that there will be any problems at that position. They have a solid run game with Frank Gore and Glen Coffee, both played well last year, and Gore is one of the best backs in the league. They have great recievers. Crabtree at WR and Davis at TE are a great combination, and they have Ted Ginn, Josh Morgan, and Isaac Bruce to complement them. The defense will be excellent, of course, Mike Singletary is an amazing defensive coach. They will win the division and go 11-5.

Arizona - They lost a lot of key pieces this offseason, mainly Kurt Warner and Anquan Boldin. Matt Leinart now has to take the reigns from Warner and try to perform well, I personally think he'll struggle for the first few games and then play well so he'll have an alright season, there won't be any need for Derek Anderson to come in. At WR they are stacked, Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Breaston are an excellent combination... so even though they lost Boldin they won't have a problem. They have a good run game with Beanie Wells and Tim Hightower, they'll have 1600 yards combined. Their defense is great, they gained Joey Porter and Kerry Rhodes which are two great additions. They'll come in second place and go 8-8.

Seattle - Even with Pete Carroll that team can't be helped. They are old at QB, thin at WR (After TJ and Grant) and RB, and have a bad defense. Golden Tate will help the team, and John Carlson is a great TE. The defense is led by Lofa Tatupu, who if oft injured and won't be very good this year... so they have some serious leadership issues. They'll be third and go 4-12.

St. Louis - They are TERRIBLE. Sam Bradford and Steven Jackson are the only two bright spots on that offense. They have a bad O-Line and don't be surprised if Bradford gets injured easily. That defense is pretty thin and they have no leaders. Last in the division, 3-13.

Their defense is great, they gained Joey Porter and Kerry Rhodes which are two great additions. They'll come in second place and go 8-8.

Great defense? They had an average at best defense last year and it got worse. Kerry Rhodes will be able to replace Antrel Rolle perfectly but in no way is Joey Porter better then Dansby. Porter as an OLB will give them a slightly better pass rush but let's not forget he is now 33 years old and not what he used to be. Dansby was in his prime and recorded over 100 tackles each of the last two years. Dansby also played ILB and was the heart of that Arizona defense.

The guy who replaces him inside is Paris Lenon. If you don't know who Paris Lenon is, he is a now 32 year old linebacker who couldn't keep his starting job last year with the St Louis fucking Rams. That's really all you need to know. You can't replace one of the better linebackers in the league who happens to be in his prime with two guys that are in their 30's and have slowed down the last couple years.

Thank you Big Sexy, I completely forgot about Bly signing with Detroit again. That hurts a little but yes that defense is still solid.

And for Crock, where do you get 3 wins for the Rams? This may seem petty but I'm curious where you get 3. I for one struggled to give them 2 wins this coming up season. I gave them Seattle at home and Kanas City at home. Other than that I can't see them being close in any of those other games. Like I said, I know its small, but just for discussion curious who those 3 wins come against.

Great defense? They had an average at best defense last year and it got worse. Kerry Rhodes will be able to replace Antrel Rolle perfectly but in no way is Joey Porter better then Dansby. Porter as an OLB will give them a slightly better pass rush but let's not forget he is now 33 years old and not what he used to be. Dansby was in his prime and recorded over 100 tackles each of the last two years. Dansby also played ILB and was the heart of that Arizona defense.

The guy who replaces him inside is Paris Lenon. If you don't know who Paris Lenon is, he is a now 32 year old linebacker who couldn't keep his starting job last year with the St Louis fucking Rams. That's really all you need to know. You can't replace one of the better linebackers in the league who happens to be in his prime with two guys that are in their 30's and have slowed down the last couple years.

This is the perfect assesment of the Arizona defense. I didn't notice the phrase "great defense" he used to describe Arizona. This team ranked 14th in points allowed and were in the 20s in just about everything else. To think that losing Dansby and replacing him with Porter is an upgrade is just flat out wrong. Porter will bring a pass rush to the team, but to think he can play at the level of Dansby at his age, you are mistaken. The defense is worse, how much worse remains to be seen. Again, how many games they win, I believe rests on Leinart's shoulders. But the defense will not be as good as last year, and that's not a good sign.

Thank you Big Sexy, I completely forgot about Bly signing with Detroit again. That hurts a little but yes that defense is still solid.

And for Crock, where do you get 3 wins for the Rams? This may seem petty but I'm curious where you get 3. I for one struggled to give them 2 wins this coming up season. I gave them Seattle at home and Kanas City at home. Other than that I can't see them being close in any of those other games. Like I said, I know its small, but just for discussion curious who those 3 wins come against.

I gave them a 3rd win because they're better than last year, and I think that they will be able to win at Oakland. Oakland is gonna be the worst team in the league. The Rams could also win in Tampa... but I didn't give it to them. And Big Sexy, I still say that the Cardinals D is great. They played well at the end of last year, and they will be able to control some of the weak offenses in their schedule.

You know, people talk about how the Seattle Seahawks had this great draft... but I don't see it, man. I really think they made a big mistake in passing up Jimmy Clausen (if they could have gotten Clausen and Brandon Marshall, there's no doubt Seattle would be my pick to win the West this year). I think Tim Hassleback has always been overrated as shit, but now he's really on his last legs and for Seattle to keep him around.. I think it will deeply cost them. They don't have the running game they used to, and while their defense is pretty fucking good, they don't have a defensive-minded head coach now in Pete Carroll. There's no way in my mind that this team finishes above .500, no way.

Matt Leinart will make or break the Arizona Cardnials this year. It's as simple as that. Arizona's defense sucks and they relied on scoring to win games these past couple years. And while it shouldn't be hard to complete passes when a guy like Larry Fitzgerald is on your team, we cannot underestimate how valuable Kurt Warner was to this team to get him and others the ball. It'll be interesting to see if Leinart can do it. Personally, I don't think he will be.

St. Louis... they suck and will continue to suck. They didn't make any moves this off-season for me to think they'll be able to turn things around.

And San Francisco is my pick to win the division, finishing either 9-7 or 10-6. Their defense is just too good, and I think this will finally be Alex Smith's year. He had moments of greatness last year and I firmly believe he can become consistent. And the thing is... with San Francisco's defense and running game, Alex Smith doesn't have to be great; he just needs to keep the mistakes at a minimum, and there's no doubt in my mind he can do that.

See, that's what San Francisco has over Arizona in my mind... the 49ers quarterback doesn't have to be great for them to succeed, but you sure as shit better believe that if Matt Leinart isn't great this year, then Arizona will not finish with a record that's above .500.

And Big Sexy, I still say that the Cardinals D is great. They played well at the end of last year, and they will be able to control some of the weak offenses in their schedule.

Played well at the end of last year? When? In week 14 when they gave up 24 points to the 49ers? Maybe it was in week 15 when they gave 24 points to the Lions? And who can forget that great performance they had in week 17 giving up 33 points to the Packers :rolleyes:.

Let's also not forget the defense's horrendous performance in the playoffs last year. Giving up 45 points in each of their two games. 90 points given up in two playoff games is embarrassing.

Although they allowed a lot of points they gave 'em up on big plays. I understand that they aren't very good. I meant "Great" in their division, that division has shit defense aside from San Fran. I honestly think that it's the weakest division in football. They have 1 good team... and they won't go anywhere in the playoffs. That division needs some help.

Wow, what a shit division. Just look at the QBs. Who's the best starter in this division? AJ Feely? Possibly.

SF - Should be decent enough. Were somewhere around .500 last year, I believe. Gore is still a freakin monster and Crabtree and Vernon Davis are some capable weapons on the outside. Will they have anyone to throw to them though? Willis is a tackle machine on D and their secondary is pretty solid. This isn't a great team, but certainly you'd consider them slighlty above average.

They'll likely win the division, but have no chance of going anywhere in the playoffs with Alex Smith at QB. For real.

Zona- Lot of movement and change this offseason, but they'll be decent enough on D by bringing in some guys like Porter and Rhodes. Certainly not any worse than last year. Fitz is obviously great, but I'm not exactly sold on Beanie. Leinhart's weak ass arm is a big question mark as well. This has been a very successful team in the past, but a step backward is possible this year.

Seattle- Hasselback still being the starter amazes me. I'd think we'd see Whitehurt soon enough. Don't have many weapons on offense, defense isn't great, and Carroll is a nut job who has never succeeded in the NFL. Good luck.

Rams - Still shit, obviously. The season will just be about getting Bradford some experience and Jackson racking up points for fantasy owners.

This is San Fran's division to lose. They have all the tools, to compete in this division for a strong finish.. yet I don't think they have what it takes to make it beyond a Wildcard/Divisional round Playoff game.

Now, as far as the division goes.. I wouldn't count out the Cardinals just because they lost Boldin, and Warner and here's why..

Derek Anderson. (Scuff if you will, here) He was the very basic of a one hit wonder in 2007, but it lead the Browns to a 10-6 finish, and did so with a mediocre WR, and one solid weapon in a TE. In Arizona, the one thing they have thats solid - is a WR thats one of the best, and the line-up behind him has played more than people want to realize (without Boldin). He'll have a better Defense from Arizona than he had in Cleveland, and he'll have an easier division to play in/against as well.

Matt Leinart is a one-way ticket to failure. He's had his chance, blown it and reopened the door for Warner. Warner is now gone, Leinart is older and less likely to have more experience and Anderson has shown (at least once) he has the tools and ability to provide a winning record to a less than worthy team.

As far as Seattle and St. Louis goes.. I think St. Louis is quickly building something of first round picks, but its still going to take another 2-3 years before anything truly happens. Unless they somehow begin hitting the jackpot with back-ups, later round picks, and free agents. (which is possible, just not likely)

Seattle takes a lot of crap, when the truth is.. their "so great" defense from their Superbowl run.. hasn't changed a lot, to my knowledge. Except in aging. It just goes to show you.. flukes can happen. Seattle's only hope, is that San Fran completely falls apart from a mystery.. Arizona doesn't bench Leinart.. and St. Louis doesn't have a true diamond in the rough, with Bradford.

Before I start the next division, let me comment on this one again and what I've seen from others.

First, its obvious that there isn't much debate as to who should win this division. The only real threat to San Francisco is Arizona, if Leinart can play well, which isn't known if he can. The order is the same from everyone. And everyone knows QB is the position of question and skill at that psoition is lacking big time.

Matt Leinart will make or break the Arizona Cardinals this year.

Leinart's weak ass arm is a big question mark as well.

These are easily the most obvious observations, and I say that with no disrespect. Losing Warner is obviously the biggest loss for the Cards. And Leinart wasn't just sitting to learn, he had an opportunity to start and lost it. If he can perform without making any big mistakes, then Arizona still has a shot at winning the division. I don't he can though. And that's because his arm. The Cards were big on big plays and Leinart doesn't have the strength to do that.

He had moments of greatness last year and I firmly believe he can be consistant

Alez Smith and greatness? Sorry not seeing it. Of all the QBs that may be starting, he might be the best, but that doesn't mean anything considering who might be starting. Last year, Smith showed he still has something to offer and that is all. Nothing great about him. And there is no guarantee that he will be good enough this year. The one thing he has going for him is that Singletary is bent on being a running team so Smith probably won't be called upon to lead them with 40 passes. But I still don't know if he can provide what they need.

....have no chance of going anywhere in the playoffs...

...yet I don't think they have what it takes to make it beyond a Wildcard/Divisional round playoff game.

This division is crap and the only way to make the playoffs is to win the division. I can't see a wildcard team coming from this division. And I can't see whoever wins this division winning a playoff game. With potential wildcard teams like Atlanta, NY, Green Bay, Chicago in the mix, I think those teams will be better than SF or Arizona. So it willl pretty much be congrats on winning the division, prepare to leave early now.

Next division coming up later today will be the AFC West.

I think Tim Hassleback has always been overrated as shit, but now he's really on his last legs and for Seattle to keep him around.. I think it will deeply cost them. .
That's Matt Hasselbeck. You're thinking of his irrelevant brother?

Anyways, this is San Frans division to lose. They have a stellar defense, a solid offense and Coach Singletary pretty much said ALex Smith is their guy. Which is a fantastic confidence booster. With that defense and that running game I expect them to win at least 9 games, which isn't a lot but it's enough to win that division.

Seattle isn't very good and that runningback Spiller isn't the answer. He's like Reggie Bush, he'll be good but not a playmaker. Arizona doesn't have the star power now. Warner is gone, so is Dansby and Boldin. Leinart is unproven and they have nothing outside of Fitz and Breaston? So yeah, if San Fran doesn't win this division i'll be shocked. They had a great draft class and made strides every game last year.

I guess I'm in the clear minority here, but I seem to have more faith in Arizona then all of you guys, and I think that Leinart can do a formidable job at replacing Warner. He won't be great, no, but he should be decent enough, if he can keep the picks down, to lead them to a division title over the 49ers. His lone start last year he put up a solid performance against the Titans, only they lost on a last second TD by Vince Young. Beanie Wells has the talent to be a great rusher, and they still have a top 3 WR in the game in Fitzgerald. Yeah, they lost Boldin, but Steve Breaston is a good #2 option. The defense will not be their strong suit, but could be decent enough to get them 9 wins, which should win the division.

As for the 49ers, I'm still not sold on Alex Smith. He will have the same coordinator for the 2nd season in a row, but he's been quite injury prone. Frank Gore could also wear down at any time, as his body has taken a beating over the past 4-5 seasons, so he'd probably have to split with Glen Coffee. The receiving options are limited to Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis, but that may be enough. The line won't be great, so Smith probably won't be having a lot of time in the pocket. Their defense will, more then likely, have to keep them in the games. Willis is a star and is the anchor of their defense.

If they are 5-5 going into their MNF game against Arizona, and win, the division may be theirs to lose. But if they lose, they'd have 2 more potential losses with @GB and @SD, and 8-8 won't work, despite this division being poor.

As for Seattle and St. Louis, neither will go anywhere, but Seattle could be a sleeper in the league and slip right by the other two, especially if Carroll is as good in the pros as he was in college. He wasn't a bad coach in his first stint in the NFL, either, so they're the sleeper in the division.

I think people are discounting the losses of both Boldin and Karlos Dansby. Everyone knows Leinart has his plate full replacing Warner but why do people think the defense will be good? They were average last year and Dansby was the heart of that defense at the middle linebacker spot. They still have great players in Adrian Wilson and Darnell Dockett but the middle linebacker spot is now a weakness. They replaced a borderline elite middle linebacker in his prime with a guy in Paris Lenon who is 32 and couldn't even start a full season in St Louis last year.

I also think that Boldin will be harder to replace then people think. As a Michigan fan I like Steve Breaston as much as the next guy but I'm not sure if he can be a full time starter. He was perfect in his slot role and even though it's very possible he succeeds as the number two guy, the Cards still lose depth at receiver.

That's Matt Hasselbeck. You're thinking of his irrelevant brother?

Yeah, I get the two mixed up because they're both so worthless. Shit, I'm surprised I didn't mistake Matt for Elizabeth Hasselbeck with the way he's played the last two years.

But yeah... seriously, Seattle's biggest mistake is sticking with Matt Hasselbeck as their QB. With a solid quarterback, this would be their division to take, but instead they're sticking with this over-the-hill bum. In fact, the best thing that could happen for Seattle is Hasslebeck getting hurt in the preseason and J.P. Losman taking over the position. With an actual offensive line protecting him (something he never had in Buffalo), I think Losman would be a pretty damn good QB in the league. Hopefully we'll be able to finally find out if whether or not that's truth.

I think people are discounting the losses of both Boldin and Karlos Dansby. Everyone knows Leinart has his plate full replacing Warner but why do people think the defense will be good? They were average last year and Dansby was the heart of that defense at the middle linebacker spot. They still have great players in Adrian Wilson and Darnell Dockett but the middle linebacker spot is now a weakness. They replaced a borderline elite middle linebacker in his prime with a guy in Paris Lenon who is 32 and couldn't even start a full season in St Louis last year.

I also think that Boldin will be harder to replace then people think. As a Michigan fan I like Steve Breaston as much as the next guy but I'm not sure if he can be a full time starter. He was perfect in his slot role and even though it's very possible he succeeds as the number two guy, the Cards still lose depth at receiver.

There is no reason to think the defense will be good this year after their losses. And I for one am not discounting losing Boldin or Dansby. But the defense was shit last year so I didn't expect it to be good this year even with Dansby, so losing him didn't affect my thoughts on that defense.

As far as Boldin goes that's a big loss, as you mentioned they lose depth. But I think you can agree that Warner was the straw that stirred the drink. Warner still possessed skills that are above Leinart's capabilities, or were. And that's just it. We don't know what Leinart can do. If he can't peform well, it won't matter who is running the routes. So I agree losing Boldin hurts, with depth and taking the double team away from Fitzgerald. But I think the bigger issue is Leinart being able to run the offense effectively.

As far as Boldin goes that's a big loss, as you mentioned they lose depth. But I think you can agree that Warner was the straw that stirred the drink. Warner still possessed skills that are above Leinart's capabilities, or were. And that's just it. We don't know what Leinart can do. If he can't peform well, it won't matter who is running the routes. So I agree losing Boldin hurts, with depth and taking the double team away from Fitzgerald. But I think the bigger issue is Leinart being able to run the offense effectively.

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I agree 100% that Warner is the biggest loss for the Cardinals going into this season. I just think people are discounting the other losses like they are nothing and that should not be the case. The loss of Warner is by far the biggest but the others shouldn't just be ignored.

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I agree 100% that Warner is the biggest loss for the Cardinals going into this season. I just think people are discounting the other losses like they are nothing and that should not be the case. The loss of Warner is by far the biggest but the others shouldn't just be ignored.

I did misinterpret that and that's my bad. I completely agree with you that the focus can't soley be on the loss of Warner and the other two key guys just be tossed to the side. Dansby was the leader of the defense and that's not easy to replace. Boldin as I said was able to bring a lot to the table, like opening up the field.

These guys were a big reason the Cards were as good as they were, and your correct we should not dismiss the loss of these guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back