• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Next Year's WWE Hall of Fame Headliner

So this year, we finally saw the induction of Macho Man Randy Savage into the WWE Hall of Fame. With Savage and Bruno Sammartino now both in there, the WWE HOF has gained some legitimacy. At the end of the day it's still hilariously political and there seems to be no real criteria, but nevertheless, it's become a big deal, and each year there is always one big name as the "main event" of the induction ceremony.

With that being said, who would you like to see headline the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2016? And who do you think it will be? Are there any glaring omissions to the HOF in your mind?

WrestleMania 32 is in Texas, and there's been a lot of talk about Mania 32 (finally) being the Undertaker's last match. Since Texas is the Undertaker's home state, I think he's a real candidate to be the HOF headliner. He would join Ric Flair as the only active competitor to be inducted into the HOF. Another possibility is Sting, who also undoubtedly deserves to be there. If the Undertaker goes in, Kane or Shawn Michaels (another Texan) will induct him. And if Sting goes in, it will definitely be Ric Flair inducting him. Since it's in Dallas I also think we'll see the Fabulous Freebirds go in, given their history with World Class Championship Wrestling and the Von Erich Family. They won't headline obviously, but I'd say they're a lock to be inducted.

You know what I'd love to see?

Undertaker and Sting as dual HoF Headliners, and have them duke it out for "supremacy" at Wrestlemania the next night. I think that it could neatly tie both of their careers up, it would give them both the respect they deserve, and it would put extra gravitas on a match between them at WM32. Also, end it in a double countout.

If/when Undertaker goes in, as to who will induct him, as Vince McMahon famously said "IT'S GOTTA BE KANE!". I mean, who else could it be? I agree that it'll likely be 'Taker who will be the headliner next year.

I also think Rick Rude deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. He's easily one of the best Intercontinental Champions ever, and was a huge star in the WWF and WCW. He had great feuds with Jake the Snake, Ricky Steamboat and the Ultimate Warrior. Again, not as a headliner, but he'd be a solid addition. Ricky Steamboat could induct him.

Yeah it will most likely be The Undertaker. I can't really see WWE doing a co-headline especially with a legend like Taker... they'll want to give him all the respects he deserves, so Sting is a safe bet for the year after. HHH has got to go in eventually too, no?

On a side not, how would you like to be Ric Flair or Shawn Michaels? It seems those guys have to write up an induction speech every year.

I also think Rick Rude deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. He's easily one of the best Intercontinental Champions ever, and was a huge star in the WWF and WCW. He had great feuds with Jake the Snake, Ricky Steamboat and the Ultimate Warrior. Again, not as a headliner, but he'd be a solid addition. Ricky Steamboat could induct him.

You can't find a guy from the late 80s that turned out to be a HoF inductee that doesn't credit Rick Rude for being their first and/or most important mentor in the world of pro-wrestling. His only real competition in that respect is Mr. Perfect. Dude should have already BEEN in the HoF.

Headliner

Undertaker would be my number one pick but to do so would signpost that this is Undertaker's last match. Now that might be the way they go with it, Undertaker's Last Ride sounds like a great tagline for a Wrestlemania main event, but it will be up to how they're presenting Taker next year and if it definitely is his last match.

Tag Team

The Freebirds are an absolute lock to go in next year. They deserve to be there and their history with World Class almost assures them of the spot.

Manager

I would say that Jim Cornette should be the manager to go in. He also deserves it and has history in Texas with World Class but I'm honestly not sure we'll ever see Cornette inducted. He still trashes Vince, Triple H and WWE whenever I hear him talk. I would absolutely love to see Eric Bischoff go in, I think he'd be excellent at giving a speech and he obviously is very much deserving.

Older Superstar

Jimmy Garvin is another guy I'd put in there for his history in Texas and just because he deserves it. If not him than they could go with Stan Hansen as the older superstar. Also, and I don't think a lot of people realise this, Lou Thesz actually isn't in the Hall of Fame and that's fairly ridiculous.

Modern Superstar

That would be overkill with World Class guys though I guess so time to look to ex-WWE/WCW/ECW stars. There are my usual picks for wrestlers who have passed away. Guys like British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Rick Rude and Brian Pillman, all deserving in my opinion. For guys that are living, I would go for inducting Vader, Honky Tonk Man (imagine that speech) or JBL.

Female

Miss Elizabeth would be my pick but it probably won't happen next year due to Macho going in this year. Sable is the next obvious choice. I mean, Sunny, Trish and Lita are all in there and Sable was probably a bigger star than all three of them.

Celebrity

Cyndi Lauper. I love Cyndi Lauper and she was a big deal for Wrestlemania I and the whole Rock n' Wrestling connection so is very deserving

So from that lot, my dream line up would be:

Undertaker
The Fabulous Freebirds
Eric Bischoff
Lou Thesz
Vader
Rick Rude
Sable
Cyndi Lauper

Headliner

Undertaker would be my number one pick but to do so would signpost that this is Undertaker's last match. Now that might be the way they go with it, Undertaker's Last Ride sounds like a great tagline for a Wrestlemania main event, but it will be up to how they're presenting Taker next year and if it definitely is his last match.

Tag Team

The Freebirds are an absolute lock to go in next year. They deserve to be there and their history with World Class almost assures them of the spot.

Manager

I would say that Jim Cornette should be the manager to go in. He also deserves it and has history in Texas with World Class but I'm honestly not sure we'll ever see Cornette inducted. He still trashes Vince, Triple H and WWE whenever I hear him talk. I would absolutely love to see Eric Bischoff go in, I think he'd be excellent at giving a speech and he obviously is very much deserving.

Older Superstar

Jimmy Garvin is another guy I'd put in there for his history in Texas and just because he deserves it. If not him than they could go with Stan Hansen as the older superstar. Also, and I don't think a lot of people realise this, Lou Thesz actually isn't in the Hall of Fame and that's fairly ridiculous.

Modern Superstar

That would be overkill with World Class guys though I guess so time to look to ex-WWE/WCW/ECW stars. There are my usual picks for wrestlers who have passed away. Guys like British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Rick Rude and Brian Pillman, all deserving in my opinion. For guys that are living, I would go for inducting Vader, Honky Tonk Man (imagine that speech) or JBL.

Female

Miss Elizabeth would be my pick but it probably won't happen next year due to Macho going in this year. Sable is the next obvious choice. I mean, Sunny, Trish and Lita are all in there and Sable was probably a bigger star than all three of them.

Celebrity

Cyndi Lauper. I love Cyndi Lauper and she was a big deal for Wrestlemania I and the whole Rock n' Wrestling connection so is very deserving

So from that lot, my dream line up would be:

Undertaker
The Fabulous Freebirds
Eric Bischoff
Lou Thesz
Vader
Rick Rude
Sable
Cyndi Lauper

Holy shit I did not realize that Lou Thesz wasn't in there yet, so yeah that needs to be corrected. Buddy Rogers is in there Lou Thesz should be as well. And great call on Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin. Another favorite of mine. He seems like a pretty likely candidate for next year actually.

Here's a question, should Psycho Sid ever go in? He's a World Champion and main evented two WrestleManias, so I think he has the credentials for sure. He could fit into that of yours with Vader. Bam Bam Bigelow deserves it as well. He was a great worker and carried Lawrence Taylor to an awesome main event at Mania 11. I think that Davey Boy shouldn't go in on his own, but the British Bulldogs deserve it as a tag-team. Not this year with the Freebirds, but in the future.

I think it would be pretty great to let Taker & Sting be the first guys to be put into the Hall (to my knowledge) while still active & then let them have their go away match the next night at mania. But as far as who should induct Taker I think the names on the short list are obvious......Kane, One of Paul Bearers boys, An honorable mention could be his wife, but I think it should be The Million Dollar Man. He made his debut on Million Dollar Mans survivor series team & I think it would be great to let him be the one that introduces him into the Hall.

If Taker/Sting aren't an option then I think the headliner should be The Rock. He deserves to be in there & would be a great draw.

My list of some other possible inductees could be as follows:

1) Stan Hansen - he was a fantastic talent & a HUGE name in Texas or Lou Thez - he was one of the groundbreakers for modern wrestling & deserves a nod.

2) For a Tag Team: The Fabulous Freebirds , Steiner Brothrers or Demolition - nuff said!

3) Female: Bull Nakano

There are several names I could put down but I don't want to overload my post - great discussion

Oh yeah Sid deserves to go in 100%, the guy was world champion in both the WWF and WCW and was a huge star in the 1990s. It's probably just my personal preference but I'd like to see Vader go in before him in that list of mine. There are a few more guys from that era that need to go in like DDP, Lex Luger and Sting but I'd go with Vader for next year.

I just checked and Wahoo McDaniel isn't in the hall of fame either. I'd get Thesz inducted asap but McDaniel not being in there is baffling! Adrian Adonis isn't either so they've obviously overlooked some of the older guys, they could just do a quick five minute induction of one name per year if they're worried modern wrestling fans don't care. Good way of getting big name inductors on the card too as Flair could induct Wahoo, Piper could induct Adonis and Jim Ross could induct Thesz

Texas may play a factor in getting Taker to be headliner, but they could easily go the opposite way and induct Rock there instead, or even Cena... There is no rule saying Taker goes in then... but I think most people would be happy if he did.

Tag Team wise The Freebirds make a lot of sense, they were a WCCW legendary team and provided Hayes can stay out of controversy, an easy one they can give.

Miss Elizabeth will go in next, they probably didn't put her in with Randy out of respect for his wife more than anything...it would be difficult enough for her without his ex-wife being inducted at the same time.

Manager? Cornette probably deserves it most but I don't think he is on good enough terms with WWE right now. That can of course change however.

Rick Rude was mentioned in 2 speeches this year and much like Warrior saying he wanted an award outside the usual talent, I can see this being "HOF Power"... Enough HOF'ers now are close enough with Rude to probably ensure it goes through next year.

Celebrity Wing? Hmmm, Ali is the one who should be going in but probably won't... Cyndi Lauper works, perhaps in place of a female/diva induction but I could easily see them throwing a curveball and putting Hugh Jackman or Floyd Mayweather in.

Old School Legend? There are always more talents than spots... Garvin would go in as a Freebird I am sure and they won't want a dead guy if Rude is going in so that leaves 2 realistic guys the WWE Universe would know... One Man Gang and Terry Taylor. If they can reconcile another dead name in there, Chris Adams would be worthy.

But this is all pretty much speculation... they might not honor Texas at all.

For me the 1st and second headliners come down to these choices

Taker and Sting for obvious reasons.

Diamond Dallas Page - Ok, maybe not the headliner but in the Savage position this year.

The Rock - Gonna happen sooner rather than later.

Big Show - Deserving of a headline spot for sure and we may have seen his last hurrah in winning the battle royale.

Chris Jericho - This is, I think the most likely headliner for next year. Chris isn't Texan, but assuming Taker is having one more match and they want to induct him after then Y2J is someone who has a big enough career to merit being the headliner... he has that Undisputed title, he is someone they can rely on to not only show up but who will give a strong induction speech and not look out of place as the top guy.

William Regal - Can't see him headlining, but he's a lock for 2nd place... probably next year.

X-Pac - Again, not a headliner, but he's the only one of the Kliq group up there on Saturday without a ring now, no question Paul is gonna make sure Sean gets his turn too.

I can see Taker headlining next year no problem. If Kane doesn't induct him, then there is something seriously wrong here.

Would love to see Sable in there as well. As for the rest, I'll let the WWE decide, and wait for the bitching and complaining to start as the nominees are announced.

The WWE really has a chance to do something special here. Tonight, they should have Taker come out as himself saying that it's been a good run, but that he is done. Sting comes out to say that he can't leave until they go Icon vs Icon. The set up can be duel headliners of the HoF with a match at Mania attached. Vince said that there would be an announcement soon that would push Mania 32. This could be it.

Next year's HOF headliner will for sure be Undertaker. My preference would be for them to go in after their last match but I guess this can be an exception :) It's fitting with Mania in Texas next year you have Undertaker as your headliner. I just don't know if Sting should go in with him. While both would be pretty rad I think Sting should headline in his own right. But both going in could have some merit. After all Taker has been a WWE guy for many, many years and even if he goes in the night before his last match it could answer all the questions many have ask, will Taker go in, in character or will we see Mark Calloway excepting the induction.

I see it being a very Texas based HOF next year which is cool because I can think of a full line up that have yet to be inducted. Goldust, Slick, Vickie Guerrero, Fabulous Freebirds, Stan Hansen, Rick Rude was hinted this year and I feel he'd make a possible posthumous inductee, & Chuck Norris for the celebrity wing.

There are plenty glaring omissions, but whether these omissions will be rectified is another story. It seems as if the general consensus is that the Undertaker should be honoured next year. As said, it makes perfect sense: it's in Texas, he's winding down for sure, and if WrestleMania 32 is his last match, what better way than to end it in front of 100,000 people in your home state. The thing is, for me, I'd rather have him retire and THEN be inducted, rather than be inducted the night before like Ric Flair was. Regardless, he will go in and I'm happy for him to go in next year in Texas.

Sting of course is possible, and it's even possible both he and Taker go in next year together. I'm unsure whether WWE would have Sting headline the Hall of Fame considering he hasn't really done anything in the WWE, and his history lies with WCW (and TNA if you're not in the WWE bubble). He needs to go in, but not as a headliner. Together, the two going in the night before their last match is a unique touch.

The Rock of course will be going in, and as a headliner, it's just a matter of when. To be fair, don't be surprised if it is next year. The Rock going into the Hall of Fame means he will be at WrestleMania 32 and WWE need to sell those tickets. Although I'd rather wait until The Rock is truly done competing, and I'm almost positive that's not the case yet.

There are so many mid-card guys missing from the Hall of Fame it's ridiculous. The British Bulldog, Brian Pillman, Owen Hart (we know the story there), Rick Rude, The Honky Tonk Man among many others have plenty credentials worthy of a spot in the fictional Hall, yet haven't received it. We know why Owen hasn't, but the others? What are WWE not realising? With the crap they have in there, adding these names only increases the legitimacy of the Hall. Are they headliners? Other than Owen (and only because of circumstances), no, but they were / are incredibly popular superstars. The Fabulous Freebirds must be coming soon. Lou Thesz needs to go in, along with other pioneers that truly paved the way for professional wrestling. WWE can further legitimise this Hall of Fame with names like this.

Ok for what is worth I ran into Bret hart at an autograph session here in Vancouver BC bout 2 months ago and I could only ask him one question cause the promoter guy was hurrying everyone along so I asked Bret "When is Owen going into the hall of fame and he said 110% sure he is going in next year hall of fame 2016

There are so many mid-card guys missing from the Hall of Fame it's ridiculous. The British Bulldog, Brian Pillman, Owen Hart (we know the story there), Rick Rude, The Honky Tonk Man among many others have plenty credentials worthy of a spot in the fictional Hall, yet haven't received it. We know why Owen hasn't, but the others? What are WWE not realising? With the crap they have in there, adding these names only increases the legitimacy of the Hall. Are they headliners? Other than Owen (and only because of circumstances), no, but they were / are incredibly popular superstars. The Fabulous Freebirds must be coming soon. Lou Thesz needs to go in, along with other pioneers that truly paved the way for professional wrestling. WWE can further legitimise this Hall of Fame with names like this.

Believe me I hear and understand what you're saying, but they are limited by the amount they can induct every year.

We had what 9 go in this year, and the show was over 4 hours long. When the inductor and the inductee are taking roughly 20 minutes to make a speech, then you have serious time issues. If you want to have more then cut down the time that someone is speaking to 10 minutes. Then you have the problem of fans pissed off because their favourite didn't get to headline. There is no pleasing the general public.

Everyone who deserves it will one day get into the Hall of Fame. It's just a matter of being patient. I would also like to see more people inducted who are alive. It's all fine and dandy to have a relative come out and say thank you, but seeing that individual in person thanking the crowd, and receiving the accolades they deserve, well there is nothing like it.

Ok for what is worth I ran into Bret hart at an autograph session here in Vancouver BC bout 2 months ago and I could only ask him one question cause the promoter guy was hurrying everyone along so I asked Bret "When is Owen going into the hall of fame and he said 110% sure he is going in next year hall of fame 2016

And you believed him? It's been a long standing fact that Owen's wife Nancy wants nothing to do with the WWE anymore. She blames them for the death of her husband, and it will be a cold day in hell before she gives her consent. Now the WWE could say screw it and put him in anyway and risk a huge lawsuit, and a lot of negative publicity for doing so.

My guess is that was probably the most insensitive question a wrestling fan could have asked, knowing the story behind Owen's death. Hart probably gave you that answer to shut you up and move you along. He doesn't know you from Adam, and I'm sure he doesn't want to get into an intimate conversation about his dead brother and an upset widow, with someone he's never seen before.

I want to go outside of the box. . Quite a bit. . Save some classic must induct names for WM 33-38 like the undertaker, the rock, sting, Jericho, JBL, RVD, Hardys, Kurt Angle and VKM

Headliner: Goldberg.. GOLDBERG.. GOLDBERG!!! Save sting and taker for WM 33 headliners. Sting and taker have one last match at WM32, bc I'd say Goldberg has wrestled his last match. . If Nash can headline so can

Tag team: Freebirds, Steiners, or The British Bulldogs.. all deserving

VET: Lou Thesz or Rick Rude I say both

Alive vets: King Kong Bundy, Bam Bam Bigelo, and psycho Sid.. Save Big Van Vader for the next year when you induct sting, so fitting

MGR: Vicky Guerrero.

Foreigner: the great muta

CELEB: Cindy Lauper

Goldberg
Muta
Freebirds
Vicky Guerrero
RUDE
Lou These
Psycho Sid
Bam Bam Bagelo
King Kong Bundy
Cindy Lauper

My Class of 2016 would be:

The Undertaker: It's in Texas, and nobody deserves it more. Period.

JBL: Another Texas resident, and the greatest heel WWE Champion of the Ruthless Aggression Era.

Andrew "Test" Martin: One of the best big men of modern times, and another who died too soon.

"Ravishing" Rick Rude: Seriously, how is he NOT in there already?

Hercules Hernandez: One of the most underrated stars of the 80's, and a guy who could have been huge if they'd pushed him right. I never understood why they didn't push him.

Michelle McCool: There's usually a Diva in the class, and it would be fitting to induct McCool on the same night as her husband. There's little question she deserves it, and I'd love to see her go in.

As for the celebrity inductee, I never give that much thought since I hardly pay attention to them. Maybe Floyd Mayweather or some crap like that.

Sting and Undertaker are two huge headliners. I don't think its smart business for the WWE to put them both in one night and both of them deserve to headline on their own. Unless the two of them want to go in together, that would be different. There is money to be made in both of them being headliners. No need to lump them together.

I must be in the minority but I don't think Taker or Sting should be going in till their wrestling careers are done especially if their main eventing Wrestlemania the next day, Deffinently in the near future for both though.

Dynamite Kid is my top pick to go in, He comes accross to me as a bit of an a****** in real life and probably and not well liked by the other wrestlers which probably is a big reason of why he hasn't been inducted, Wasn't that great of a talker either but I still think he's the greatest wrestler skill wise of all time, Maybe had his best matches in Japan against guys like Tiger Mask, Would like to see Davey Smith go in also maybe following year but not just as a tag team as I think they also both had such varied singles careers too.

The Fabulous Freebirds would be my 2nd top pick as its my favourite tag team or faction all main incarnation members Michael Hayes, Jimmy Garvin, Terry Gordy and Buddy Roberts.
Think its long overdue, As far as I know I think they were the first wrestlers to use entrance music and also the innovaters of the Freebird rules which has been used a lot over the years in tag teams, Also involved in one of my favourite feuds of all time against the Von Erichs. Considering Michael Hayes has worked backstage for the WWE for over 20 years now I'm quite surprised their not inducted already.

Stan Hansen seeing as he's from Texas and another legend still living who isn't yet inducted another one I'm surprised isn't inducted yet maybe its due to most of his success being in Japan.

King Kong Bundy as he felt like such a huge name during the early Hulkamania days also main eventing the 2nd Wrestlemania seeing as they have previously inducted the full Wrestlemania 1 main event.

Lou Thesz If they only do one posthumous induction I think he needs to go in due to him being the top star of the original golden age of wrestling.

Satoru Sayama More than worthy of an induction seeing as others from Japan have been inducted and I think a good time to induct him would be the same year as The dynamite Kid seeing as their feud was so famous.

Ivan Koloff and Nikita Koloff, Ivan a former WWE world champion and ending Sammartinos long title reign makes him deserving along with tag team partner Nikita who I think was underated in the NWA.

Celebrity wing would be Cyndi Lauper for at least the attention she brought to the Rock N Wrestling era with maybe Andy Kauffman the following year.

Just for this HOF next year lets try something that to my knowledge that has never been done before! Have a lone induction! The undertaker. He should be the only one IMO that should headline his own HOF class all by himself. I dont mean as a slight towards other wrestlers who have accomplished plenty in this business but if taker is indeed going to hang it up next year,then why not give him this honor as the lone inductee.

There could be plenty of people who could talk about him,Kane obviously would induct him,but opponent after opponent could share stories about him! I think Taker deserves to go in all by himself just this one time as the lone inductee

Just for this HOF next year lets try something that to my knowledge that has never been done before! Have a lone induction! The undertaker. He should be the only one IMO that should headline his own HOF class all by himself. I dont mean as a slight towards other wrestlers who have accomplished plenty in this business but if taker is indeed going to hang it up next year,then why not give him this honor as the lone inductee.

There could be plenty of people who could talk about him,Kane obviously would induct him,but opponent after opponent could share stories about him! I think Taker deserves to go in all by himself just this one time as the lone inductee

It was done with Andre, pre TV. It might be a good idea, but I don't see it happening.

Freebirds seem a nobrainer with inductee being Kevin Von Erich.
JBL seems likely with Ron Simmons
Undertaker by not sure of who inducts him.

Maybe unpopular but the felebrity should be Andy Kaufman. Not a fan of Andy the person but did any other celebrity make a bigger mark on the wrestling scene?
Diva if not Miss E then definitely Sable. Major factor in the attitude era. She may not he interested thotgh.

Lou Thesz
Ric Rude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back