• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Netflix's new ludicrous pricing plan

It's like the people complaining about this situation haven't lived life long enough to understand prices go up.

I seriously question if anyone bitching about this price increase even owns a car and knows the pain of real horrible increases in pricing. Gas was under a $1.00 once upon a time, for fuck sakes.
Yes, right before I started driving. Pisses me off still.

I remember paying $.96 a gallon when I first started driving 14 years ago. Hell it was back under $2.00 only a couple years ago.

Nope, Luckily for me I live in SD, gases prices here somehow always mange to be less than what the national average is, in fact I saw today gas is $3.48
It is a red state so they may have no gas tax, MAY. Also the Dakota area's oil industry is blowing up. It was either ND or SD that had the highest growth rate in America of over 7% last year.

No cell phones and no YouTube I can remember, but a gallon of gas for under a dollar? You old timers lived in a crazy fucking world.

To support what I said about increased licensing costs:

"Netflix has another year or two on most of these contracts, and then the game completely changes," says Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Securities.

Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/technology/netflix_starz_contract/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2z

Quite a difference in expenses for Netflix. Especially considering:

Netflix (NFLX) had a $161 million profit last year on sales of $2.2 billion, and it ended last quarter with $342 million in cash on hand.

Remember what I said about the greedy content providers? There you go.

I read that article the other day. That still doesn't explain why the price of DVD by mail is justified in going up at all.

You realize Netflix is just one company, right? They're not two different separate entities, operating under two different budgets, right?

Isnt it only a difference of like 10$? Can someone explain to me what the huge obscene crime here is?

Sure, it's really easy. A company facing an increase in costs greater than 10 times what they are paying now, are asking customers to pay an extra $6 to continue to receive the same package (which is likely to continue to grow in benefits) they currently receive.

The audacity is staggering, I know.

Oh, ok, not 10$. 6$. I can see the need for such outrage.

The nerve of some of those bastard companies.

The unmitigated gall!

wwe-superstar-jim-ross-10.jpg

They're asking people to pay about 62% more for the same thing they were getting before, in the e-mail it says nothing about the package "growing in benefits", people have a right to there initial anger, this comes after the raised the price less than a year ago by about 20%

I really don't care anymore, I'm prolly gonna keep the streaming, but switch to the 2 DVD out plan instead since it's only $4 more than the 1 DVD out +streaming plan anyway, I figure if I'm gonna pay more I may as well get more out of it

They're asking people to pay about 62% more for the same thing they were getting before, in the e-mail it says nothing about the package "growing in benefits", people have a right to there initial anger, this comes after the raised the price less than a year ago by about 20%

Yea, but dude. Its 6$

It really is good business, but nobody likes paying more money for a service we've been getting all along.

Jeezy-chreezy, for realz? I'm amazed the service isn't $29.99 a month or something that actual feels like an adult expense (food, rent/mortgage, utilities, gas/transportation, telecommunications, internet, etc). For all it offers Netflix is an absolute steal. This is all just a luxury. Honestly now, we're talking about watching TV shows and movies.
Don't get me wrong, people are free to feel how they feel but I don't see the outrage being equal to the alleged offense.

P.S. The "Growing Benefits" probably, alludes to things like an ever increasing content library and reinvesting in better/faster content delivery technologies. It's really not as if all this extra $$$ is going into corporate profits. If anything most will go to licensing fees as Netflix tries to keep itself above water.

You realize Netflix is just one company, right? They're not two different separate entities, operating under two different budgets, right?

You do realize they have "explained" this as a way to better address the cost of each aspect of the business individually? Why should people be happy that their money is going to subsidize the cost of a service they do not even use for others? We are talking about almost a 100% increase in price for the DVD by mail service (the way you do the math) within this year for a company that has no noticeable significant increases in cost for this aspect of their business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back