• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NCAAF Thread - 2009

Today, the USA Today's Coaches Top-25 Preseason Poll was released. Flordia was again number one, LSU was again overrated, and Oregon State actually made the top-25? Here's the rankings.

1. Flordia
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Southern California
5. Alabama
6. Ohio State
7. Virginia Tech
8. Penn State
9. LSU
10. Mississippi
11. Oklahoma State
12. California
13. Georgia
14. Oregon
15. Georgia Tech
16. Boise State
17. TCU
18. Utah
19. Flordia State
20. North Carolina
21. Iowa
22. Nebraska
23. Notre Dame
24. Brigham Young
25. Oregon State

What are your thoughts on how they're ranked? I know that the preseason poll means little in the long run, but it always frustrates me to see teams like Ohio State, LSU, and Virginia Tech at the top when I know they're going to be soft. Oregon coming in at fourteen is a bit lower than I expected, considering we finished the year in the top ten. I suppose I can't complain.

College Football starts soon. September 3rd is the day I'm looking forward to. Oregon is packing up and heading to Boise, for a match-up between 14 and 16. Boise beat us last year, having knocked out our second string quarterback with a helmet-to-helmet late hit, and putting the ball in the hands of our best pure "athlete" Chris Harper. He could run, but not throw. He went 0-4 with two interceptions. In the fourth quarter, we blew the redshirt on Darron Thomas, and he lit up the defense in the fourth quarter, bring us back within five. There is definitely retribution to be had. Some "analyst" said Boise would take this one, but Oregon is used to being picked against.

Are you ready?

The top 5 was correctly in order this year. I think Florida State is top 15 caliber, but im also very impressed boise state made the top 25 to begin the year at leasts its an improvement. North Carolina though needs a little more love. Yes I am a little ACC bias, but i also think that UM should be in the top 25. Im sorry Oregon State is not top 25 caliber that is wrong. For the most part good job the coaches in getting the top 25 pretty much right.

Florida is definitely the hands down number one team. There is no questioning that. The rest of the top four should all be in contention for the National Championship too. Maybe one more wild card that comes out of nowhere, a la, Alabama from last year, and I'd say the most likely team to have that could be Georgia Tech in the second year running Paul Johnson's offense.

48.7, I respect what you have to say about LSU, OSU, and Va Tech not deserving to be that high, but I'd have to disagree about Va Tech. They finished strong last year, and should be a top 10 team all year.

I see that you're an Oregon fan, and they are good, year in and year out. But do you think that'll change with Bellotti moving to AD? I don't know a whole lot about them this year, but that could be compelling to see, since I have been a bit of an Oregon fan since the days of Joey at QB.

In the case of my two favorite teams, Mizzou and Florida State, I see two different things happening. Mizzou has risen from the bottom of the Big XII the past two seasons, and this year, I really expect them to sink back down a bit. 7-5 or 6-6 is how I see them going. But Florida State, I think is being highly overlooked. No one thinks of them much anymore. Yes, they are inconsistent, and have underperformed for almost the entire decade. But Bobby only has two seasons at the helm left, tops, and their nucleus of offensive talent has greatly improved. Ponder has a year of experience at the helm, our backs are explosive again, and our line is very young, but gained a multitude of experience last season, and like every year, our defense will be tenacious. The only question mark is our wideouts, but I think they'll end up stepping up.

As a whole I think the ACC will gain a lot of strength this year. Like I said, Virginia Tech should be good again this year. Georgia Tech is going to be a sleeper. The triple option is an amazing offense, and so fun to watch. UNC is going to be strong. No one is talking about them, but Butch Davis has recruited his ass off, and he can coach, and they're gonna be a staple in the top 25 until he leaves. FSU is going to be stronger than they have been in awhile, and NC State finished last year very strongly and can make some noise. Don't forget that Wake with Jim Grobe is going to be a contender every season. Miami has a nice nucleus, and Randy Shannon is building the program back up to prominence. Hell, even Duke should be vastly improved. Don't forget about Clemson or BC with their new coaches, well, if you count Sweeney as the new coach at Clemson. I'm talking the ACC up so much, and hell, I'm a Big XII guy so that shows you somthing!

All in all, I'm so excited for this season. I pray we see a 2 loss USC season. I pray we see Notre Dame get close to a BCS bid. I pray I see FSU in the Orange Bowl. Boys, we're looking at a great slate of Saturdays!

1. I don't see how we are one spot behind LSU when we beat them and we had a higher ranking than them at the end of last season but we have to make the best of it. Our toughest games are going to be at South Carolina and versus Alabama. If we can one of those two games than we have a good shot to have a chance to go to the SEC Championship game when we face LSU. They have Florida at home and have to go to Georgia and Alabama.

2. The only team I see except Florida to have a great shot at reaching the title game that's in the Top 10 is Penn State. Easy out-of-conference games with Akron, Syracuse, Temple, and Eastern Illnois. Their toughest game will be at home with Ohio State but the game before with Northwestern could be a trap if they're not careful. I can't see them going anything less than 11-1. Maybe 10-2 because I can see them losing to an Iowa or Illinois like they did last year.

1. I don't see how we are one spot behind LSU when we beat them and we had a higher ranking than them at the end of last season but we have to make the best of it. Our toughest games are going to be at South Carolina and versus Alabama. If we can one of those two games than we have a good shot to have a chance to go to the SEC Championship game when we face LSU. They have Florida at home and have to go to Georgia and Alabama.

Yeah, I like you dude, but that's some blind hope right there. Ole Miss in the SEC Championship? No chance in hell of that happening. And LSU's higher ranked simply because they're the better team, and I GUARANTEE they kick Ole Miss's ass this year. Mark my words on that one. Old Miss's little miracles last year we're all flukes, sorry. I look forward to seeing them going back to the Ole Miss team we all know and love this season; you know... the Ole Miss that doesn't win shit. :icon_razz:

Anyway, I pay more attention to the SEC than anything else in college football. I was raised to be a LSU fan pretty much my entire life, and while I still do love the team... I'm a huge Nick Saban fan as well. He's definitely my favorite coach in football history, and in my opinion... he's currently the best college football coach there is. And even though Alabama lost some really key seniors after last season, with Saban as their coach... they're still a threat to win it all this year. However, I still have to say I have Florida defeating Texas in the National Championship. I actually think both teams will go undefeated, and we'll FINALLY have a National Championship game where there's no controversy behind it. Can't wait to see it unfold.

I am an Alabama fan so I am happy at 5, but I think it is a little overrated. We lost a lot on the offensive line and our startin QB graduated. And the SEC is one of the toughest, if not the toughest conference in all of college football.
I agree with Little Jerry Lawler, I think PSU has a good shot at a title game this year, along with Tim Tebow University.

I'm a huge Nick Saban fan as well. He's definitely my favorite coach in football history, and in my opinion... he's currently the best college football coach there is. And even though Alabama lost some really key seniors after last season, with Saban as their coach... they're still a threat to win it all this year.

As a Miami Dolphins fan I have to say that I hate Nick Saban with a passion as he betrayed this franchise, walking out on them after just one year. However I do think Alabama will be good this year, but not as good as last year. I do like Ole Miss to do well this year win 9 or 10 games, but despite Alabama not being as good this year they are still the 2nd best team in the SEC, but Florida will run the table.

Good to see PSU in the top 10. That is probably where I'd slot them. I'm pretty excited for College Ball. Usually I'm not, but the PSU team has me excited this season. VT could make some noise as well. They finished strong last season and I think that continues into this year. I think Miami (FL) will eventually get into the top, I really like what they got going on down there and I think they could make some noise and surprise some people. Florida, like everyone stated is clearly the best team and easily a favorite to win the NC this season.

Yeah, I like you dude, but that's some blind hope right there. Ole Miss in the SEC Championship? No chance in hell of that happening. And LSU's higher ranked simply because they're the better team, and I GUARANTEE they kick Ole Miss's ass this year. Mark my words on that one. Old Miss's little miracles last year we're all flukes, sorry. I look forward to seeing them going back to the Ole Miss team we all know and love this season; you know... the Ole Miss that doesn't win shit. :icon_razz:

Anyway, I pay more attention to the SEC than anything else in college football. I was raised to be a LSU fan pretty much my entire life, and while I still do love the team... I'm a huge Nick Saban fan as well. He's definitely my favorite coach in football history, and in my opinion... he's currently the best college football coach there is. And even though Alabama lost some really key seniors after last season, with Saban as their coach... they're still a threat to win it all this year. However, I still have to say I have Florida defeating Texas in the National Championship. I actually think both teams will go undefeated, and we'll FINALLY have a National Championship game where there's no controversy behind it. Can't wait to see it unfold.

I love you too but how were our miracles "flukes"? We stopped Tebow on fourth down and blocked their extra points. We knew what he was going to do in that fourth down situation and we did the job. Arkansas wasn't any good and Auburn had a sputtering offense as well as Mississippi State. LSU had one of the worst defenses in the nation in terms of points per game allowed and pass yards per game allowed. By then, Jevan Snead had hit his stride and was becoming one of the best quarterbacks in the counrty. Texas Tech had a great offense but they never played a defense as fast as the SEC presents. I know you think if LSU faced Texas Tech, ya'll would have won too.

November 21- Ya'll are coming to our house and LSU will go back to Baton Rouge losers. ;)

Yeah, I like you dude, but that's some blind hope right there. Ole Miss in the SEC Championship? No chance in hell of that happening. And LSU's higher ranked simply because they're the better team, and I GUARANTEE they kick Ole Miss's ass this year. Mark my words on that one. Old Miss's little miracles last year we're all flukes, sorry. I look forward to seeing them going back to the Ole Miss team we all know and love this season; you know... the Ole Miss that doesn't win shit. :icon_razz.

Not really. Thats an Ole Miss team who whipped THE SHIT out of a TX Tech team who were ranked near the top of the nation for a while, and who beat a team who is and was a NC competitor. Ole Miss is a big time under the radar team, which a damn good coach, and quite a bit of fire power coming back. SEC champs? Have to wait and see on that. They at least deserve to be ranked were they are though

Three days.

Three days until my college football season kicks off. On Thursday, the Oregon Ducks are flying in to Boise and are going to drop a bomb on the smurf turf. After what happened last year, I fully expect the team to be fired up. If our defense isn't like swiss cheese again, then this will be no contest. Our offense is better than theirs, by a very large margin.

Are you guys excited? I know that I am.

I'm not so sure about Oregon winning at Boise State. The Broncos are freaking awesome at a home. They also have Kellan Moore, who was great as a true freshman last year, he has likely only gotten better. Oregon is supposed to be a breakout team according to many, but they'd better not sleep on Boise, or they'll get smashed.

In other news, Pitt is picked to win the Big East this year. Grant it, that's not a huge accomplishments nowadays, but it would be big for this program, especially after a losing record 2 years ago. As long as Stull plays competent at QB, we'll win the Big East. Our defense, especially our d-line, is great. Plus, we have some solid young running backs.

I'm not so sure about Oregon winning at Boise State. The Broncos are freaking awesome at a home. They also have Kellan Moore, who was great as a true freshman last year, he has likely only gotten better. Oregon is supposed to be a breakout team according to many, but they'd better not sleep on Boise, or they'll get smashed.

The Broncos are incredible in Boise, no doubt about it. They've crushed Idaho State, FSU, and Sacramento State on the smurf turf. That's not a lift of great teams, mind you. The biggest teams that Boise has played at home are Oregon State and Hawaii. They may be undefeated for who knows how long at home, but I could be an undefeated MMA fighter, if I fought 12 year olds.

Trust me, no one is sleeping on Boise State. This team is focused and ready. After the atrocity that occurred in Eugene last year (a game I attended), I know that the heads of our players and coaches are in the right place. This is one of the most, if not the most, talented Oregon football teams in the history of our program. Masoli knows and runs the offense as well as Dennis Dixon, and La Blount could be our best back yet. We have a good core returning on defense, as well as a few good freshman in the secondary. Our receiving core is better than last year's. Our only question is the O-line. We're better than Boise, and we'll show it.

In other news, Pitt is picked to win the Big East this year. Grant it, that's not a huge accomplishments nowadays, but it would be big for this program, especially after a losing record 2 years ago. As long as Stull plays competent at QB, we'll win the Big East. Our defense, especially our d-line, is great. Plus, we have some solid young running backs.

If Pitt gets any kind of offense they should be a lock to win the Big East. Their defense looks great, they can rotate all kinds of players on defense because they have such great depth. In other news we may steal a QB who committed to Penn State. He wants to come to Pitt because of our QB problems and knows he has the potential to start right away. I believe his name is Paul Jones. The guy out of Sto Rox. He knows the competition in Happy Valley will be tough. With four star recruit Newsome waiting in the wings and they recruited Bolden this year who is the sixth best QB prospect in 2010.

But the downfall in Jones is that mommy and daddy wants him to go to PSU.

I think Cincinnati and West Virginia both have better teams then Pitt. As good as Pitt's defense is, they don't have much of an offense. Shady McCoy is gone and they don't have much quarterback wise.

West Virginia still has Noel Devine and Jarrett Brown is good enough to make people forget about Pat White. They will definitely be able to score points, but we'll see how they do on the defensive side of the football.

Cincinnati is the most complete team in my opinion. Brian Kelly is the best coach in the Big East and he has really turned that program around. They didn't really lose anybody of note so I see no reason why they won't be able to repeat as Big East Champions.

LOL @ the Cincinnati and WVU comment. Cincy practically lost there entire defense and the majority of their offense. Pitt has owned WVU the last 2 years and have you ever heard of Jonathan Baldwin, Burns, and Dion Lewis? Lewis is an amazing freshman who could expect 25 touches a game. He's explosive, and pretty tough for his 5'9 frame. Turner also returns which gives Stull or Sunseri another big target. Basically our offensive line returns and is one year better. So I expect big things from our offense even if Stull sucks. We have a lot of weapons around him. Baldwin is a playmaker, Turner is a solid receiver, we have two stellar tight ends, and a lot of incoming freshman who are expected to make an impact. I can see big things as long as Stull limits his mistakes.

Also, you do realize Cinci lost most of there secondary, and I believe some of there receivers? What did Pitt lose? Kinder and McCoy...

Edit, McKillop also, but Mason is a good replacement, who is a better athlete...

LOL @ the Cincinnati and WVU comment. Cincy practically lost there entire defense and the majority of their offense. Pitt has owned WVU the last 2 years and have you ever heard of Jonathan Baldwin, Burns, and Dion Lewis? Lewis is an amazing freshman who could expect 25 touches a game. He's explosive, and pretty tough for his 5'9 frame. Turner also returns which gives Stull or Sunseri another big target. Basically our offensive line returns and is one year better. So I expect big things from our offense even if Stull sucks. We have a lot of weapons around him. Baldwin is a playmaker, Turner is a solid receiver, we have two stellar tight ends, and a lot of incoming freshman who are expected to make an impact. I can see big things as long as Stull limits his mistakes.

Also, you do realize Cinci lost most of there secondary, and I believe some of there receivers? What did Pitt lose? Kinder and McCoy...

Edit, McKillop also, but Mason is a good replacement, who is a better athlete...

Cincy only lost 4 starters on offense and no one that was any good. They have all of their big name offensive players back. On defense they did lose
a lot of guys, but again it wasn't really anybody that great. With the exception of Deangelo Smith everyone they lost is very replaceable.

As far as Pitt goes, I know McCoy was really the only big name player you lost, but he happened to be your entire offense last year. You talk about Jonathon Baldwin, you mean your top returning receiver who had all of 400 yards receiving last year? Then Dion Lewis. 25 touches a game? Are you fucking serious. The kid is a true freshmen and not a very highly touted one at that. He was what a three star recruit? C'mon I realize your a big Pitt fan and they do have a good team capable of winning the Big East, but this isn't exactly a team of All Americans.

He was a three star recruit because of his size. Give me a break man. He's quick and has the ability to take it to the house. Baldwin had 400 yards because we had other receivers and Shady was a very good receiving back. Plus Baldwin is like 6'5 and basically plays like Calvin Johnson. Now that everyone has a year under there belt, a new offensive coordinator who is a very good at coaching QB's you can only expect an explosive offense. Now if you want to play the recruiting game I believe Pitt has had the top Big East recruiting class the last three years.

We have a running back by committee because all are talented. So yeah, if we get any Quarterback play we have the potential to be one of the better offenses in our league.

If Pitt gets any kind of offense they should be a lock to win the Big East. Their defense looks great, they can rotate all kinds of players on defense because they have such great depth. In other news we may steal a QB who committed to Penn State. He wants to come to Pitt because of our QB problems and knows he has the potential to start right away. I believe his name is Paul Jones. The guy out of Sto Rox. He knows the competition in Happy Valley will be tough. With four star recruit Newsome waiting in the wings and they recruited Bolden this year who is the sixth best QB prospect in 2010.

But the downfall in Jones is that mommy and daddy wants him to go to PSU.

I've heard of Jones. Our high school played against Sto-Rox at a 7 on 7 camp over the summer, I think. Apparantly he was injured, but from everything I've heard, he's the real deal. I'm suprised there aren't other top QBs who want to go to Pitt. It's a very respecatable program that is on the rise. If you could come in and start right away on a team that is going to be near the top of the confenerence every year, why wouldn't you. By the way, what happened to Bostick? Is he hurt, or does he just suck now?

Sorry Im gonna break the Big East Topic and talk about FSU vs UM. I personally think that UM vs FSU is so much better week 1.

FSU is going to kick UM's ass this year Bobby Bowden is going to want it more then ever with his wins allocated. Ponder is going to be a breakout star, and I think he can lead FSU to victory at Doak Campbell.

Sorry Im gonna break the Big East Topic and talk about FSU vs UM. I personally think that UM vs FSU is so much better week 1.

FSU is going to kick UM's ass this year Bobby Bowden is going to want it more then ever with his wins allocated. Ponder is going to be a breakout star, and I think he can lead FSU to victory at Doak Campbell.

Meh, the FSU/Miami is way down over the last few years. I remember when these where two of the top programs in the nation. Now, not so much. FSU hasn't had a QB for years and neither has Miami. It seems like they are both still getting pretty decent recruiting classes, but haven't done anything with them. At this point, there are many better and more intriguing opening games, like OK State/Georgia.

I disagree because both these schools are on the rise, yes I know its not the same as a few years ago but these 2 are some of the most famous schools in College Football. Christian Ponder is on the rise, and I have been following Jacory Harris when he was in High School and he has potential, and its first full year as starter. Both these 2 teams will be in top 25 at end of the year.

Okay you guys are sad. The first week of College Football has started, and yet no one posts in the official thread? :disappointed: For shame. Now personally, I'm not huge into College Football, but I'm a fan and can get into it when I so choose, or when I actually pay attention, which was lacking last year.

But some big things have happened in just the first few days of the season. A thread already made in here about LeGarrette Blount, which was the dumbest mistake I think anyone could have made. First he punches a guy in the face, then he is fighting off his own guys, and then he even tries getting into it with some fans. Definitely one of the dumbest things I have seen in sports, and I have seen some dumb, and funny, things. Like Ken Harrelson says "He GONE!!" for the rest of the year.

Sam Bradford has a sprained shoulder, and also #3 Oklahoma gets upset by BYU. Doesn't look good for the Sooners right now, unless their back up Landry Jones steps up and brings them back while Bradford is out, I don't see Oklahoma doing any contending this year. But again, it is still early, so we shall see how everything goes for Oklahoma the rest of the season.

More stuff happened, but I don't know all. So the rest of you get in on this and keep your official thread going.

I'm a huge Michigan fan and I was very impressed by the Wolverines on Saturday. Yes they were only facing a MAC team in Western Michigan, but they are still a talented team and Michigan absolutely crushed them. The defense was dominant and the offense in this game looked better then they did all of last year. Not only that but they did it without their starting tailback Brandon Minor.

The two true freshmen quarterbacks were outstanding. Tate Forcier is the better of the two with his ability to throw accurately and make plays with his feet. Then Denard Robinson showed his big play ability with a 43 yard td run in the first half. He's more of a run first guy but when you combine the two Michigan is very dangerous. I can see them winning 8 games easily this year and contending for a National Title in two years.

Some teams in the Big Ten didn't fair as well. The overrated Iowa Hawkeyes needed two blocked field goals at the end of the game to beat Northern Iowa 17-16 and Ohio State was almost upset at home by Navy of all teams. They barely escaped with a 31-27 win.

The first week of College football has been rather exciting (so far, there are still 2 games to play).

My Notre Dame Fighting Irish looked phenomenal in their Week 1 SHUTOUT (first one since 2002) of Nevada, a decent team with a unique offense that was in a bowl last year. Next weeks game against Michigan will be a test for both teams, and if Notre Dame can win next week, I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish with 1 loss (to USC), because they do not play any other top teams. If Jimmy Clausen plays next week like he played this week, then there is no doubt in my mind that ND will beat Michigan.

I must say though, I was not surprised at Navy's performance against Ohio State. Ohio State never plays against the Triple Option offense, and it is extremely difficult to practice against. What Navy lacks in Talent, they make up for it with their unique playcalling, which is why Navy is usually bowl eligible come seasons end. Navy tends to play well offensively against a team that never saw them before, and they got lucky in that they played a young QB who made some mistakes to keep Navy in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back