Most Valuable Veteran to the TNA Roster?

Who is the most valuable veteran to the TNA roster?

• Rob Van Dam

• Jeff Jarrett

• Hulk Hogan

• Kevin Nash

• Mick Foley

• Sting

• Tommy Dreamer

• Team 3D

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Often, in the world of professional sports, younger teams – that is sports teams primarily composed of first, second and third-year players – tend to benefit greatly when the team's management signs or acquires the battle-tested veterans of the league to help guide the youngsters toward future success. I can't speak for all of sports, but I know as a matter of fact that in the world of the NHL, this is as true as can be. The Chicago Blackhawks, for example, would have never won the cup (at least if you ask me) had guys like Hossa, Campbell and Sopel not been on the team to help those younger studs in various aspects of the game – especially come playoff time.

The same goes for pro-wrestling. For as far back as I can remember, veterans of the business have been helping younger talent "get over", and in the process, a new core of superstars is created in each generation who eventually become those veterans themselves.

TNA is no different here. In fact, they're often maligned to hire too many veterans, which is to say just as too many cooks spoils the pot, too many vets spoils their programming – but that's a discussion for a different day.

The purpose of this thread is to determine just how valuable the most valuable veteran really is, and why. So, who do you think is the most valuable vet to the TNA locker room, and why? Who has helped to elevate talent most? Who's creative mind is most important to the business? Who's name recognition helps draw in older fans?

Please note, you are voting on who is the most valuable veteran – that is to say, who is the most valuable among active roster members – so please don't nominate Jarrett and state "because he started TNA" as a reason why. You won't get warned or infracted for it, and your post won't be removed, but that's not a very good answer...

--------------------------------------------------

Edit: Maybe now you people will actually read the entire post and stop posting in your own about how I "forgot" about Kurt Angle, or about how it's a travesty he wasn't included, yeah?

Kurt Angle, for obvious reasons, will be negated as an option in these discussions. We all know Kurt's value, and we're all well aware he's almost certainly the most valuable, but he'd quite obviously run away with the voting, so if you have to consider this a "Second Most Valuable Veteran to the TNA Roster" poll in order to allow you to negate Angle from discussion, please do so.

--------------------------------------------------

I voted for Kevin Nash. Here is why:

I was debating on Jeff Jarrett (solely because he literally started the company) or Hulk Hogan (but his personal problems have shattered his image pretty good where his presence is barely relevant anymore unfortunately). But I came to the conclusion of Kevin Nash.

While detractors will look at the political game and try to point to that as being why he was so successful in the business...his personality is actually what got him there in the first place.

He is proof that you don't need to flip around and do cartwheels in the ring in order to be entertaining and liked by the fans. He was one of the most popular wrestlers at one time...and he basically just beat people up as if he were a bouncer in a bar teaching somebody a lesson. Maybe it was because of his personality that he was able to manipulate the political game in the back in the first place. It certainly worked with the fans.

That being said, he should be looked upon by the younger up and comers as somebody to take notes from. He's been to the top and perhaps played in a few political games...but he's seen it all and is now trying to give back. And just like in any other business...people working for a company are working and providing for themselves. They aren't going to take a back seat in their prime so that somebody less capable can take their place. So I don't blame Kevin Nash one bit for playing the game the way he did. That's the way it should be played. And now that he's seen and done it all and is much older now...he IS giving back to the younger talents. Which is something that a lot of the older generations in the business world don't even do. So I actually envy it.

The younger generation seems to be mostly all cartwheels and somersalts and no substance. No personality. No charisma. They should look to Kevin Nash to see how it was done in wrestling's heyday...at it's peak...when Kevin Nash was in his prime and was one of the most successful wrestlers of that time. Kevin Nash is that valuable. Whether or not TNA or the younger generation sees this opportunity and acts upon it though, is something different...and certainly not Kevin Nash's problem.

I would have to say Team 3D....they came in and immediately gave the Tag Team division a much needed shot in the arm and they continue to entertain on a weekly basis. We all know they are on their way out soon and they really seem to be helping the younger guys get over. I never hear about any backstage politics from them either or at least not recently. You take those two things and you have a couple of guys that really seem to love the business and want the younger guys to keep it going for many years to come.

For me it's Kevin Nash, and quite honestly, aside from perhaps Mick Foley, I don't think anyone else in the company has been as integral to helping to create new stars as much as him.

Alex Shelley, Johnny Devine, Austin Starr, Sonjay Dutt, Jay Lethal, Eric Yougn and more all have Nash to thank for their respective successes, and that all comes from his ability to project his fantastic personality on screen as a means to give them relevance.

Like Prime noted, all were capable (I'm sure) of pulling off a backflip or a cartwheel during an X Division match, but none of them (with the exception of Shelley) really had much of a personality at all when they came into TNA, and a lot of that changed because of Kevin.

I most certainly agree that Nash should be looked at by future generations as an absolute legend, and something to aspire to be by the up and comers. Giants, in particular, should look to him and seek to become the "next Kevin Nash", because it's highly unlikely another one comes along, ever, but aspiring to be like him can only take them up the ladder, not down it.

I'm also voting for Kevin Nash, Nash is the type of guy you want teaching your young guys. Months ago when 3D knocked Chris Sabin unconscious and insisted on ending the match with another high impact move, Nash was the one to speak out. Nash is what a proper locker room leader is supposed to be. Whenever locker room leaders are brought up these days it's always seems to be veterans who hold down the young guys and side with the other older guys. Kevin Nash is one of the few veterans who seems to prefer the younger wrestlers to the old guard. Not to mention that Nash does a lot of things better than anybody, his promo's are A-grade material. His in-ring work at one time was perfect, he's one of the few big guys who could actually keep up with smaller opponents and once agian this benefits the younger guys especially people in TNA like Matt Morgan and Rob Terry because they can see how Nash did it and learn from him.

So yeah, Kevin Nash is my pick, he speaks out for some of the younger guys, he's known for looking out for them and he's got levels of experience most wrestlers only dream of.

It depends on how we're looking at it. Are we judgingi t based on their value thusfar, or their value going forward? If we're talking thusfar, I don't have enough overall knowledge of TNA to makee a real strong opinion, but I'd pick Jeff Jarrett for my educated guess. He's the founder, thus really giving everyone the platform they've had to prove themselves.

Going forward, I think it's relatively close, but if forced to make a ranking, I'd probably give a SLIGHT edge to Ric Flair, with Hulk Hogan second, and RVD third. Flair is elevating talent all the time, which is great. Hogan has misses some time, which helps give Flair a slight advantage. Also, Flair is still competing in the ring, whereas Hogan only wrestled once and appears unlikely to be climbing in the ring often. Therefore, I'd say:

1. Ric Flair (other on your poll)
2. Hulk Hogan
3. RVD

i went for 'other' because out of all these vets i cannot see 1 who really does stand out as someone who can/does push the young guys

JJ is bickering with nash just after his thing with sting

Dreamer has got the right mentallity but when your first major impact in an organisation is 2 bring the likes of stevie "i was only good wen WWE put me in that right to censor group" richars and that FUGLY MoFo Raven into the spot light for weeks on end, only to get involved in RVD (another vet) and abyss (who had more than enough Hogan meat) your not gunna impress me.

3D have been slappin round Jessie Neal far 2 much (well bubba anyways). I mean he might of beaten bubba once or twice but does he look any stronger for it?

and thats just a few comments i could make about the vets/youth senarios.

But dont get me wrong, it not all bad, Sting had a part in AJs last WHC contendership, but how much help did AJ need???

The only vet i can see who brushes magic onto those around him is Ric Flair. His work with Lethal has been all good and he even made the Abyss/Hogan lovefest abit better.

I do love TNA ant the mentality talked about in the OP but i also sometimes agree with the "too many cooks" idea.

Of all people Kurt should most definitely be on there than most of the other wrestlers. Kurt Angle easily puts anyone over in the match and since day 1 has made every fued and story into something to talk about. We're talking about a guy who is so over and a 13 time world champion.

Of all people Kurt should most definitely be on there than most of the other wrestlers. Kurt Angle easily puts anyone over in the match and since day 1 has made every fued and story into something to talk about. We're talking about a guy who is so over and a 13 time world champion.

Had you actually read my thread, that was clearly answered at the end of the post.

Kurt Angle, for obvious reasons, will be negated as an option in these discussions. We all know Kurt's value, and we're all well aware he's almost certainly the most valuable, but he'd quite obviously run away with the voting, so if you have to consider this a "Second Most Valuable Veteran to the TNA Roster" poll in order to allow you to negate Angle from discussion, please do so.

I've already made my vote but I'm boggled by the person who voted for RVD and even the guy who put his 3rd on his "list." I just don't understand it and I never will. I also noticed that the guy who voted for RVD didn't post anything explaining why...and the guy who had him 3rd on his list didn't go into nearly as much detail (actually no detail at all) explaining why he was there like he did the other two on his list. My guess is because they really can't explain why they like him or even why they feel he's a valuable veteran (or anything at all?)

He's boring, he's just as old as some of the other veterans. He put a strangle hold on the company demanding that he be the World Champion and have a long tenure with it on top of it...thus holding back several younger stars from the push to Champion. It's like the guy is refusing to believe that his best days are behind him and that he already hit the peak of his career (which was fairly mediocre) and he's trying to force it upon everybody that he's better than he was...but failing at it and holding people underwater in the process. If anything, I think this guy is the antithesis of "valuable" and feel like he's done more harm than good. But since he's quietly been under the radar his whole career (mainly due to his mediocrity), nobody will place any blame on him because they don't hear about him. But they'll point fingers at Hogan, Nash, Sting, or any of the other older guys who are actually trying to make the company better but are struggling. The sad and ironic part about all of it is...the Hogans, Nashs, and Stings need your support so that the company can succeed. RVD certainly does not.

UPDATE: RVD now as 2 votes!! Ridiculous!!

Raven.

Took a few younger guys under his wing (slight pun) and raised Kaz up from flippoon to actual credible wrestler. Then management crushed the seratonin angle for being too "out there."

I am not in that locker room, but Raven seemed like he had some "new" ideas that he'd share with younger guys.

I think TNA needs to go right up to the edge. They need to push the censors and fill the void that pg wwe has created. Use a 10 - 11 pm slot. Let Raven, Daffney, Abyss, maybe Foley get their *freak* on.

For Optimist Prime:

I declined to go into detail on RVD since he was a distant third on my list, but for your sake, I'll elaborate: RVD is a guy who has credibility with the older fans, obviously the market that TNA is aiming for with their content. He also has a persona that many find very appealing.

He is still able to go in the ring at a very high level, and he has a personal charisma that is undeniable, IMO. His only weakness is really being able to consistently bring it on the microphone, and while that is a really important weakness, I don't find him terrible on the microphone (other than his promo on the last Impact). He's got a unique moveset.

And I don't think he's holding the company hostage at all. I think the company is benefiting greatly from back to back long title reigns rather then everyone and their brother getting a run with the title. The only guy who would add more credibility then RVD, IMO, would be Kurt Angle, and he's eliminated from this discussion in the OP.

Not to mention they have AJ Styles with theGlobal title (the current PWI 500 #1, mind you), and he is now lending credibilituy to that joke of a title (and doing other things that I won't spoil if you haven't read the Spoilers). I think it's important right now for titles to be in long reigns on established stars. Jeff HArdy would have been a better choice, except he's in the midst of a heavy legal battle, and the already mentioned Kurt Angle is doing a completely different angle which I think is very compelling in it's own right.

Anyway, I've gotten off into a rant which kind of covers the scope of TNA's Main Even picture. I like RVD third because I think he is helping further elevate the title to a place of great importance, since he's a pretty darned big name and is still more than credible in the ring. He's doing something AJ couldn't do, because AJ didn't yet have the exposure that RVD does. With RVD at the top, it thusly BRINGS more exposure to TNA, and heightens the credibilituy, while also helping introduce younger stars like AJ Styles and Samoa Joe to a new audience. The title should be the most important thing in the company.

On another note, the next guy I'd like to see get a run is Mr. Anderson.

For Optimist Prime:

I declined to go into detail on RVD since he was a distant third on my list, but for your sake, I'll elaborate: RVD is a guy who has credibility with the older fans, obviously the market that TNA is aiming for with their content. He also has a persona that many find very appealing.

He is still able to go in the ring at a very high level, and he has a personal charisma that is undeniable, IMO. His only weakness is really being able to consistently bring it on the microphone, and while that is a really important weakness, I don't find him terrible on the microphone (other than his promo on the last Impact). He's got a unique moveset.

And I don't think he's holding the company hostage at all. I think the company is benefiting greatly from back to back long title reigns rather then everyone and their brother getting a run with the title. The only guy who would add more credibility then RVD, IMO, would be Kurt Angle, and he's eliminated from this discussion in the OP.

Not to mention they have AJ Styles with theGlobal title (the current PWI 500 #1, mind you), and he is now lending credibilituy to that joke of a title (and doing other things that I won't spoil if you haven't read the Spoilers). I think it's important right now for titles to be in long reigns on established stars. Jeff HArdy would have been a better choice, except he's in the midst of a heavy legal battle, and the already mentioned Kurt Angle is doing a completely different angle which I think is very compelling in it's own right.

Anyway, I've gotten off into a rant which kind of covers the scope of TNA's Main Even picture. I like RVD third because I think he is helping further elevate the title to a place of great importance, since he's a pretty darned big name and is still more than credible in the ring. He's doing something AJ couldn't do, because AJ didn't yet have the exposure that RVD does. With RVD at the top, it thusly BRINGS more exposure to TNA, and heightens the credibilituy, while also helping introduce younger stars like AJ Styles and Samoa Joe to a new audience. The title should be the most important thing in the company.

On another note, the next guy I'd like to see get a run is Mr. Anderson.

Hulkamaniac,

All of that stuff you mentioned about RVD is nice and I'm sure he would appreciate it...but what veteran on the list CAN'T provide all of that without bringing infinitely more to the table? If anything...out of everyone on the list...RVD brings the least amount to the table. He still can roll on the ground and do a regular back drop on a guy so that makes him better than everybody else? I personally don't think so...and if that's what separates those who are relevant from those who aren't in the wrestling fan world then I am clearly out of the majority for logical reasons.

That being said. RVD's only charisma is that he's a stoner and looks as though he still sleeps in his mother's basement so people, perhaps, are relating to that? I really think I'll never know for sure...but that's my educated guess anyway.

I do agree that TNA needs to start giving the title to their wrestlers for longer periods of time but what was the problem with having AJ Styles keep it for an extended period of time instead? Or Angle if you wanted an established guy to prop it up high for a little while. Perhaps Sting? Anybody, in my opinion, is better than a mediocre RVD rolling around the ring. He was mediocre in his 20's, he was mediocre in his 30's, but somehow he's trying to convince and force the world that he never was mediocre...and is doing all of this in his 40's? Somehow he got more relevant in his 40's than he was in his prime? Interesting...

I have no problem with him being a mid card guy like he was before in his prime...but I just don't think a company who's trying to improve should place a World Championship Title on the shoulders of a perennial mid carder who doesn't have the personality to entertain the crowd during main event build ups. It's just an all around horrible idea, IMO. It's as simple as that.

i commend idr for nt including the obvious choice of angle. we all kno why kurt would be first so... on to the post.

the icon. sting. and heres why i chose him. sting came in at a great time & started to give tna that big boost when they were coming into their own on a larger scale. yes they had some stars, but none had as big of an 'impact' of sting. his name alone helped tna, before angle came in, before hogan\bischoff, etc.

sting has had fantastic matches w\ tna talent. anyone else remember his speech w\ aj styles about a year ago? that was great. he has taken a few guys under his wing since coming to tna & helped alot with advice & ideas (although creative seems to jack things up, but i digress...) sting is a leader & has been for a long time. he can jump right into the fight w\ veterans(mem) or mix it up with the younger guys.

nash, jarrett, 3-d. they all have great points as mvp of tna, but for me its sting.

Optimist Prime, it seems to me like this is more about you letting your personal opinion of RVD cloud your judgmento n this. If you think RVD is meidocre, well, that's your opinion, but I think you'll find that the vast majority of wrestling fans disagree. The man has a WWE World Title reign under his belt, and was CRAZY over with whatever crowds he has performed in front of, whether they be ECW, WWE, or TNA. They tried to bring RVD in as a heel during the ECW invasion and the fans STILL went nuts over him. The guy is a Main Event level talent in most people's eyes.

Also, he's hardly just "rolling around on the mat", he's mixed in stiff looking striking and some nice high-flying moves into his arsenal, not to mention he's one of the few guys in the business who sells his top rope moves like you're supposed to. Anyway, I think you're in the minority on this one.

This is an interesting question and can be answered from a few different viewpoints. It seems like a lot of people are attempting to answer it from a history of contributions to TNA view. A potential mistake I see is that we should weight the recent actions higher than those from longer ago instead of equal. It is also tricky to figure out how to weigh what they actually contribute to the televised product vs what they contribute behind the scenes.

I also like the other pick for Ric Flair. When I look at who is putting the most people over recently it is Flair by a landslide. He is bringing credibility to the mid card feuds, something TNA desperately needs, and working to get over and develop a lot of talent that deserves it.

Not sure why RVD is getting slammed and Nash praised. At the end of the day it is a wrestling show and if you cannot go in the ring and put on an entertaining match it is a problem. Nash did a lot of great stuff to help TNA in the past, however, what exactly has he done lately? Especially on screen? Has he put anyone over or had a memorable feud/match since he returned to the ring? Not IMO. About the only one he attempted failed miserably with EY. He has defeated Joe, AJ and brought the tag-titles down more recently. There is a difference between keeping your veterans credible and giving them too much. I find many of these things unnecessary if Nash is so valuable on his own. Now RVD can still go in the ring at a relatively high level and that makes a huge difference. I am sure some can take or leave his personality but there seem to be plenty of people still buying into it. RVD is my number 2. When you have a guy with a credible history like his that can both hold the title and put on matches that make the competitors look good as well as himself that is quite valuable IMO. RVD is basically the only person on the list that has that skill.

I am going to say Hulk Hogan, because no matter his personal problems (most that have subsided) he is still a legendary icon and his presence brought the likes of Ric Flair, Eric Bischoff, Jeff Hardy, Ken Anderson and Rob Van Dam into TNA. That has to count for something.

If there were other picks I would make, I'd say Rob Van Dam because of his ability and talent, and Kevin Nash because of what he can teach to the young guys.

Optimist Prime, it seems to me like this is more about you letting your personal opinion of RVD cloud your judgmento n this. If you think RVD is meidocre, well, that's your opinion, but I think you'll find that the vast majority of wrestling fans disagree. The man has a WWE World Title reign under his belt, and was CRAZY over with whatever crowds he has performed in front of, whether they be ECW, WWE, or TNA. They tried to bring RVD in as a heel during the ECW invasion and the fans STILL went nuts over him. The guy is a Main Event level talent in most people's eyes.

Also, he's hardly just "rolling around on the mat", he's mixed in stiff looking striking and some nice high-flying moves into his arsenal, not to mention he's one of the few guys in the business who sells his top rope moves like you're supposed to. Anyway, I think you're in the minority on this one.

While it is a personal opinion...it's also common sense. I won't deny that there are quite a few people out there who have hit the hasheesh pipe a little bit too much and think RVD is something unique or special...but I wouldn't embellish to the point that you have. While I may be embellishing my own opinions a little bit...you seem to be embellishing not only your own opinions but also those people you are claiming feel the same way you do...which you really don't know for sure and can't really say that. At least to the level of boasting that you have been doing anyway.

He had a World Title reign in the WWE but who hasn't these days? That's not exactly saying much anymore. When Rey Mysterio Jr. has a World Title reign you know it shouldn't be taken as seriously anymore. Who's going to have the title next? Chavo Guerrero?? Spike Dudley??

World Champions are clearly building up their matches a hell of a lot more than regular Joe Schmoe's are. That being said...handing a "prestigious" World Title to a wrestler who can put the majority of America in a coma with his monotone gargling just doesn't make sense...especially for a company who's trying to make a name for themselves. That's all. If he grabs the title here or there? Whatever...fine. Titles are thrown around like STD's these days anyway. But to keep it on a guy who can't provide the entertainment necessary to BUILD up the match during promos or interviews or anything else other than the wrestling part (which is the least amount of time spent on camera as Champion usually) - that's just a bad idea all together.

What new potential TNA viewer is going to put on Spike TV...watch RVD stumble through one of his routine boring speeches and continue watching week after week - let alone keep that channel on for any further?

The (strange) RVD fans are already watching because of him. New fans who just flipped on the station certainly aren't going to continue watching because of him. His personality is that boring. That's all I'm saying.

The wrestling/entertainment business is alot more than just rolling around or flipping and flopping in the ring. And that's basically why RVD was never anything special during his prime...and was only given a shot afterwards when the title was already being passed around like a bong in RVD's basement.

It may be my opinion...but there is no denying the facts I back my opinion up with. I never said he was a bad or poor wrestler...I just think his lack in everything else is what makes him and should make him mediocre. That's all.

My vote is AJ Styles. I'm not sure if you cant count him as a veteran, but he is as valuable as anyone else. He has great in-ring ability, cuts great promos, and is just an awesome guy overall. Sure, his recent heel turn has been a failure, but he is valuable to the company and always will be.
And why does RVD have 5 votes? He is great in the ring, but when he talks, he sounds like hes on some undiscovered drug, or just an extreme pothead (no pun intended). He doesnt seem very valuable to the company, so why does he have so many votes, just saying?

While it is a personal opinion...it's also common sense. I won't deny that there are quite a few people out there who have hit the hasheesh pipe a little bit too much and think RVD is something unique or special...but I wouldn't embellish to the point that you have. While I may be embellishing my own opinions a little bit...you seem to be embellishing not only your own opinions but also those people you are claiming feel the same way you do...which you really don't know for sure and can't really say that. At least to the level of boasting that you have been doing anyway.

He had a World Title reign in the WWE but who hasn't these days? That's not exactly saying much anymore. When Rey Mysterio Jr. has a World Title reign you know it shouldn't be taken as seriously anymore. Who's going to have the title next? Chavo Guerrero?? Spike Dudley??

World Champions are clearly building up their matches a hell of a lot more than regular Joe Schmoe's are. That being said...handing a "prestigious" World Title to a wrestler who can put the majority of America in a coma with his monotone gargling just doesn't make sense...especially for a company who's trying to make a name for themselves. That's all. If he grabs the title here or there? Whatever...fine. Titles are thrown around like STD's these days anyway. But to keep it on a guy who can't provide the entertainment necessary to BUILD up the match during promos or interviews or anything else other than the wrestling part (which is the least amount of time spent on camera as Champion usually) - that's just a bad idea all together.

What new potential TNA viewer is going to put on Spike TV...watch RVD stumble through one of his routine boring speeches and continue watching week after week - let alone keep that channel on for any further?

The (strange) RVD fans are already watching because of him. New fans who just flipped on the station certainly aren't going to continue watching because of him. His personality is that boring. That's all I'm saying.

The wrestling/entertainment business is alot more than just rolling around or flipping and flopping in the ring. And that's basically why RVD was never anything special during his prime...and was only given a shot afterwards when the title was already being passed around like a bong in RVD's basement.

It may be my opinion...but there is no denying the facts I back my opinion up with. I never said he was a bad or poor wrestler...I just think his lack in everything else is what makes him and should make him mediocre. That's all.

So RVD talks for a minute or two and wrestles for 4 times that and people focus on the shorter part why again? RVD does not have to build the whole match on the mic. Either his opponent can (like sting did) or it can be built through actions. How did you feel about the face AJ of not that long ago? I guarantee you anyone who watched RVD-Joe is thinking about tuning in again. When is the last time Nash did anything that made people want to tune in?

For me, it's Kevin Nash. I'm not going into a long post, I just generally feel he knows his time is coming to an end and is trying to help develop new talent either by teaming up with them, or turning on them! It never bothered me that he played the political game, because we would all do the same to gain as much as we could from something if we could. And if you're one of these people who wouldn't, then you'll probably still work in a McDonalds or something aged 35 having everyone else walk all over you! He's made alot of money doing it his way, and there's nothing wrong with that in my book. Get what you can and get out alive!

This is an interesting question and can be answered from a few different viewpoints. It seems like a lot of people are attempting to answer it from a history of contributions to TNA view. A potential mistake I see is that we should weight the recent actions higher than those from longer ago instead of equal. It is also tricky to figure out how to weigh what they actually contribute to the televised product vs what they contribute behind the scenes.

What does the weight of those from longer ago have to do with their recent actions? I don't quite understand. And what "actions" are you speaking about anyway? Are you insinuating that popular wrestlers in their prime or at least those who can still perform should take a back seat to younger guys right away? Shawn Michaels may be the only guy who (even when he could still perform) changed over to putting over the younger guys for like 8 years straight...and that can be attributed directly to his spirituality and new religion he's found.

I also like the other pick for Ric Flair. When I look at who is putting the most people over recently it is Flair by a landslide. He is bringing credibility to the mid card feuds, something TNA desperately needs, and working to get over and develop a lot of talent that deserves it.

Why are we valuing the veterans solely on whether or not they "put over" the younger wrestlers? That's certainly not the only value they hold. In fact, I think that factor is extremely overrated as most people (I see on here) really dislike the older veteran wrestlers all together. So why would it matter if one of them "put over" a younger wrestler? It wouldn't make the younger wrestler all that much better in your eyes because you didn't think much of the older wrestler in the first place. People who dislike the older generation of wrestlers use strategically use this "putting over the younger guys" slogan as another way of basically saying "I like it when the older wrestlers lose." If you don't like the older wrestlers and don't think they represent much in the first place...how does them losing to a younger wrestler mean anything to you?

Not sure why RVD is getting slammed and Nash praised. At the end of the day it is a wrestling show and if you cannot go in the ring and put on an entertaining match it is a problem. Nash did a lot of great stuff to help TNA in the past, however, what exactly has he done lately? Especially on screen? Has he put anyone over or had a memorable feud/match since he returned to the ring? Not IMO. About the only one he attempted failed miserably with EY. He has defeated Joe, AJ and brought the tag-titles down more recently. There is a difference between keeping your veterans credible and giving them too much. I find many of these things unnecessary if Nash is so valuable on his own. Now RVD can still go in the ring at a relatively high level and that makes a huge difference. I am sure some can take or leave his personality but there seem to be plenty of people still buying into it. RVD is my number 2. When you have a guy with a credible history like his that can both hold the title and put on matches that make the competitors look good as well as himself that is quite valuable IMO. RVD is basically the only person on the list that has that skill.

As IDR has said in the past. How is Kevin Nash any less of a wrestler now than he was back in his prime? He still has the same great personality and he still wrestles using the same techniques as a brawler. Because he has gray hair and gets injured a little more than he used to that makes him ultimately this horrible person who needs to retire right away?

And nobody is buying into RVD's personality. Not one person can say with a straight face that RVD has a great wrestling personality. Because it's just not true. They might be overlooking his personality and pretending that in-ring ability is all that matters...but they're only fooling themselves and thinking completely irrationally. There's a whole lot more to flipping and flopping in the ring. It's certainly nice to do that...but when you lack in almost every other area there is other than that...I don't see the big hooplah with the person. Kevin Nash may not be able to do a moonsault off the top rope...but he never could. But he could and still can put on an entertaining match with people while keeping that same great personality.

And also, what has Kevin Nash done lately? Has he put anyone over? He's not on screen nearly as much - giving the younger guys infinitely more on-air time on purpose. You openly say that it's tricky to know what wrestlers contribute behind the scene but at the same time make up your own mind in regards to Kevin Nash on the subject.

tough call. lots of good vets on TNA tv today.

Hogan and Flair would be obvious choices. they are the most recognizable figures and names in the business today and have two of the most storied careers in the history of the business also. i love their efforts at pushing certain talents (notice that i said efforts and not results, as in the case of Abyss) and the Lethal/Flair exchange has been brilliant, as has been the new Flair stable of Fortune.

but it's too soon to tell for either of these two legends, otherwise they most certainly would have gotten my nod for TNA MVP.

Tommy Dreamer, Jeff Hardy, Raven and RVD are all just mid-card to upper mid-card guys that shouldn't have been in the main event scene outside of ECW. there is no denying their popularity and their cult following, but they are not the draws that the other vets are and so they get edged out.

Jeff Jarrett started the company. outside of that, he has not done much to elevate younger talent. props for creating a platform for them to perform. otherwise, stay out of the main event and stop not pushing guys.

Team 3D is a close call, maybe like in the top 5 for now. they bring such credibility to the tag division, which i've always enjoyed in TNA. their title accomplishments around the world and in every company only adds to their value. however, they are not huge draws in and of themselves. nobody outside the wrestling world knows their names, like some would of Hogan, Flair, Foley, Nash and Sting. their wrestling school and feuds with the younger guys to help develop and push the new stars is to be commended, but their star power is just not high enough to be the TNA MVP this time around.

Foley is good and has a good mind for the business. he seems to have a legit desire to push the younger guys but it's also just a bit too soon for him to be considered the main MVP of TNA. he's not been around as the other vets in Sting and Nash.

which then brings me to my decision. i'm actually gonna have to go for a 2-way tie here and say that Sting and Nash are the TNA MVPs today, outside of Angle of course. not surprisingly, these were three of the guys that made up the Main Event Mafia and ran TNA for a while not long ago. they are well above average on the mic, can still go in the ring today even beyond their prime, could really go in the ring in their prime, have loads of natural charisma and have a unique gift of being able to put on credible matches with both other vets and younger up and comers. i love their hearts to elevate the new stars of the business they love so much. their names and recognition only add to the value that they bring to TNA.

I would have to say AJ Styles.

Some people may disagree that he is a veteran but he is. He has done everything that there is to do in TNA over the last eight years and for that deserves to be respected.

Kevin Nash would be a close second though. His promo skills are still sharp and even though he is a little limited in the ring now, can still put on a good match with the right person.

AJ is the total package though. He has done it all, can still fly around the ring, and his mic work has vastly improved under the guidance of Ric Flair. A true talent.

I picked Sting, in my opinion he's a better wrestler than all the other listed stars combined, but mostly because of his loyalty. He stuck with WCW through everything, I think that loyalty means a lot because it shows that now he is in TNA he wants to be there and he can be depended on. He didn't jump to WWE, he hasn't come over from WWE because Vince felt he should be put out to pasture, he isn't some disgruntled ex-WWE worker trying to prove himself so Vince will let him come home, he's Sting for the love of being Sting. That type of mentality could set a great example for the rest of the locker room and gives the fans something to believe in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back