Most Overrated Up-And-Comers

mont3818

Pre-Show Stalwart
Hey, this might be an interesting one. Are there any of the young guys who seemed to be the "next big thing" that you think too many people (people as in wrestling intellectuals like here in wrestlezone) have liked and you don't really see why??

I bet a lot of you will mention Sheamus in some fashion. And, yeah, he really hasn't been tested, so I can't say for sure one way or the other. I will say though his gimmick isn't mainstream enough for him to really go over, so that needs to change alittle. I'm mostly talking wrestling wise and the quality of their matches. That's really all I care about. Here are my choices for most overrated up-and-comers:

Matt Morgan: I know some of you TNA nuts might be surprised but thats my honest opinion. See for a long time I heard sooo much about the match he had with Kurt at Bound For Glory. It was said by some to be a match of the year candidate. So I bought the dvd (for some of the other matches too), and I thought it was eh at best. Decent I guess. But he comes off alittle goofy to me. Especially when they did alittle chain-wrestling or reversals. He looked awkward to me trying to squeeze into maneuvers or roll into reversals. Most big guys have a problem with this kind of stuff. Granted he does better than most big guys at it, to me he's a good upper-middle card guy at best. And a good enough powerhouse type for that.

MVP: I can handle MVP, he's a good character, maybe not so much when he's a face, but still. I'm thinking match wise have we ever seen a really good one out of him? Maybe against Benoit, Benjamin, or maybe even Swagger, but those guys were pretty good wrestlers to begin with. He's good enough at telling a story in the ring. He can pull off a basic match. But I haven't seen enough in the time he's been here to really care. And that " ballin' " shit is annoying. The Rock was the only one to ever make a pointless otherwise harmless elbow look good.

Since this is an opinion thing I'll say my three (MVP's also there):

Ted Dibiase: He's so boring. People say he's got a great look but he's just so plain. I prefer Cody in that team. He's faster, leaner, and has a more exciting moveset.

Sheamus and McIntyre: Nothing exciting about either one of these over-pushed guys. The first time I saw Sheamus 'McMahon strut' down to the ring I laughed my ass off. McIntyre's a bit better, but only because he's actually wrestled in the "Double-U, Double-U, E." Both are horrible on the mic and yet they're getting pushes unlike anything we've ever seen before. It's ridiculous. These guys should be opening ECW and occasionally getting a fluke win on Superstars, not being two big champions.

I know for some reason a lot of you guys seem to love him, but Im going to say the MIZ... Why?-- Too many reasons to name...

You're going to have to give reasons why you think Miz is the most overrated up-and comer.

The wrestler I come closest to being overrated is Ted DiBiase. He has the look but I don't see the great wrestling ability and he's been around for a year and a half. I believe his partner Cody is the better wrestler of the two and will have a better career. Ted will have a decent career in the WWE based on his name alone but I don't see the "star" in him as of right now. His mic skills aren't that great either but I'm sure he has plenty of time to work on them.

I know I'll be sticking my neck out on this one but Kofi Kingston. I just don't get why he got the push. Is he a good mid-carder, yes. But going for a world title, I just don't see it. No bashing on this one, it's just my opinion.

Evan Bourne, the guys got talent. But unless they bring back the Cruiser weight title, he's just too overmatched (size and muscle) if ever pitted against main eventers. Notice I didn't say talent for some of the main eventers just have a good gimmick.

Lastly, Mark Henry; the man was dominating in ECW. He developed a great reputation. What the hell happened to him? Now every time he gets knocked down, he's pinned (WTF).

I nominate for the Most Hyped and Most Overrated Talent of All-Time...drum-roll please!!! For the Hall of Fame of Worst Talent let down...Glacier from WCW. It was funny cause maybe a year after his debut, he was hawking his stuff on ebay.

First off ... the Miz is at least "over' with the crowd do to some very good promo work. If you don't think The Miz can get over with a promo then re-watch his work on Monday Night. It had some awkward blocking, but the delivery was great.

No.

Most Overrated superstars of today -

Shaemus: The guy is the world champion, so he's obviously though of highly. But why is he thought of so highly? His promos don't ellicit much more than your standard "boo, he's a bad guy" and his look is nothing more than a diet version of a monster. He isn't bigger than the guys at the top of the card and his move set hasn't eclipsed the standard punch, kick and slam. He doesn't seem to stand out on any level, so why the WWE pushes him to the top is completely beyond me.

Mr. Kennedy: He was injury prone. He apparently was sloppy in the ring (according to other wrestlers). His promos - which most people loved - were downhill after he introduced himself. Please, someone remind me one memorable promo of Kennedy's ... all I can remember about him is that he said "Misterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr KEN-NE-DY. Kennedy." Outside of that, his promos were like dry toast.

I honestly do not believe any wrestler is overrated; every wrestler is liked by some and disliked by others. Also when people hear "overrated" they think of different factors that make them "overrated".

Like people think some wrestlers are overrated because they don't deserve their fanbase (in their eyes at least). Prime examples being Shelton Benjamin and Kennedy. Some people like Benjamin because they like his athleticism, and so he grows a following. Next thing you know people are attacking the guy and calling him over rated, simply because he has fans. Same thing with Kennedy, some people like him on the mic and he gets his fans b/c of that, then people start attacking him and calling him overrated. It's so stupid.

Then you have people who call all wrestlers who can't do high-flying moves overrated. Then you have people who call the people who WWE are currently pushing overrated (Sheamus). Then you have people who are totally biased and call anybody they don't like overrated. Etc.

As far as simply not understanding why other members of the IWC like a certain wrestler, I would go with Morrison. I just don't like him; he seems awkward on the mic and I'm not a fan of his in-ring style. I could never see him as a believable main-eventer. I wouldn't call him (or anybody else) overrated though, because I believe that if other people are truly entertained by him then it is impossible to be over rated. That's just my opinion anyway

I to have to go with Ted Dibiase. I dont see anything special about him. His ring skills are average at best. He has little to no mic ability and to me is just all around uninteresting. Hes accomplished what in his time with legacy? capture the tag titles..thats it. Im just not impressed, i Prefer Cody out of the two

Miz: I just flat out hate everything about him,i hate his look, i hate the way he walks, talks i even hate the way he holds that U.S title. lol i just dont like the guy. I switch the channel every time his in front of camera. Just like ted i find hes boring and just dosent have any particular that makes me want to actually give a shit at what he says or does. Could careless about the Miz.

Sheamus: First and fore most. His pale skin bugs me. Secondly he just dosent impress me.ooo so he can plow through the majority of the locker room.What monster heel hasent already been booked like that?Hes just uninteresting and hasent proven to me why he should be wwe champ, besides the fact HHH drools over him.Hopefully in the up and coming months we'll see more from him and maybe my opinion will change.

Just my opinion.Dont like it? To bad

OVERRATED:
Evan Bourne: This guy, like Rey Mysterio, is a spot fest. Yeah, he has some kick ass high flying moves. But what else? He has no character, and he is very small. Now, he has the frame to put on some muscle, but I don't see his one dimensional, high flying style landing him in a consistent main event spot. I believe he will have a few trips to some main events, maybe even win one of the big titles someday, but that doesn't mean I think he should. This guy is a prime example of why they need a cruiserweight division. Some guys are great mid carders, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I don't know why everyone on here seems to think that EVERYONE should eventually hold one of the two big championships.

Kofi Kingston: This guy seems stuck, in terms of his character. Is he Jamaican, or not?? They need to figure that out, maybe repackage him. I heard him talk the other night for about ten seconds and he sounded good, but he, like Bourne and Mysterio, just isn't a main event type guy, at least on a consistent basis. He hits a lot of big spots and is a hell of an athlete, but that is NOT ALL WRESTLING IS ABOUT! Can this guy work a 30 minute title match with someone like HHH or the Undertaker? I doubt it. He lacks in size and strength. He has an entertaining moveset, like Mysterio and Bourne, but it is limited. He doesn't really have much technical skill, so it is hard for him to carry on long matches, upwards of 20 minutes. I am not a fan of guys who are just straight up spot fests, and he seems like that is exactly what he is all about.

MVP: I want to end my thoughts on this guy quick. He is NOT an up-and-comer. He is 36!!!! Years old!!! The "clock is ticking" and this guy has regressed over the last three years, not progressed. Sloppy and slow in the ring, and he is a walking gimmick (he would have fit perfectly with the WWF back in 1995). Weak on the mic, has no natural acting skills whatsoever.

P.S.- Don't hate on Ted DiBiase because he doesn't hit big spots. I am not saying that is what everyone who hates on him is thinking, but I believe that is a problem for a good majority of you. Wrestling is not just about big spots. They are entertaining, sure, but too many of them, and it becomes dull, in my opinion. He is good on the mic, much better than Kofi or Bourne, and is a hell of a lot more athletic that MVP. I see him being a HHH or Orton kind of wrestler; he can grind it out. He can take a slower pace and focus on a leg for 20 minutes and make it interesting. He shoudl become a top heel, he has the attitude and pedigree to do so. Cody is the same way, but just doesn't have the size yet. I know some of you are going to point at Mysterio and say "he was small, and he was champ." Yeah, he was...and how did that turn out? Not very well, in my opinion.

I believe the original poster wanted us to focus on rating workers for their in-ring work and nothing else, so I will attempt to do that. First off, I'm assuming "up-and-comers" can be defined by anyone that has been in the main event less than a year or not there yet. I will try and give a couple of examples from both WWE and TNA and give some logical reasoning as to why they fall in the "overrated category".

First off, ring work is not always about doing the most moves. To me, ring work is about telling a story and getting the crowd to buy into what you are doing. If you are a face, your ring work is defined by getting the crowd to rally behind you, even in your darkest hour. You want them to cheer when you win and feel slighted when you lose. As for a heel, you want the crowd to loathe you. You want them to boo when you win and cheer when you lose. All the while, you must maintain a character and work in regards to that. With that said, let's take a look at some overrated talents in my eyes.

WWE:

3) John Morrison - while his moveset is unique and he can get the crowd behind him at times, he has a clear lack of ring psychology. When I watch him, I often think "he'd do well in ROH" where characters don't mean anything. I think it says something about your work when you are turned face because you simply cannot work a heel style despite your character traits outside the ring being heel-ish. His matches with similar workers can deliver, but even as a face, his matches still don't deliver in actually telling a story. The talent is there, but the understand is what lacks, and the lovefest he gets for his spots is what lands him on the overrated list.

2) Maryse - I know I'm the first person to include a woman in discussion, but they are workers too and thus deserve equal praise and scrutiny. Maryse's character has become the top heel on Raw, but I believe her ring work to be overrated. These singles matches have given us a good chance to see how each woman not named Melina works in a one on one match. While I was impressed with the Eve/Katie Lea match and to a lesser extent the Kelly Kelly/Alicia Fox match, I was not impressed with Maryse's. I understand she was fighting the Bellas who aren't much for workers, but it's not the first time I've notcied that Maryse is noticeably slower and less fluid in the ring than some of the other divas. The one thing she does have going for her is that in between moves, she knows how to garner heat, but she is not as vicious in ring as an Alicia Fox or Michelle McCool, so even if her character is better, her matches leave a lot to be desired and if she is the top heel, give reason for the WWE to leave Divas title matches OFF PPVs.

1) Ted Dibiase - The reason Ted Jr. lands at number one is because of the tremendous stock put into him due to his name. His father was a wonderfully gifted technical wrestler as well as performer, and thus, expectations are way too high for this 3rd generation performer. Unfortunately, to this point, I haven't seen too much from Ted inside the squared circle. It starts with his entrance which, as a single, is lackluster at best at garnering heat for himself as a heel. His work, though decently technical, lacks in emotion or fire. A heel needs to either be brutal or cowardly. He seems to be just going through the motions. This is normal for young workers as it is sometimes difficult to remember to stay in character when working a match, but he comes from a wrestling family and after almost 2 years on tv, most would expect that by now, he would understand this concept. This isn't to say he won't get it eventually and be a real asset to the business, it just means that right now, his work as a heel in ring performer doesn't make you hate him and love the face. From his lack of facial expression to dull moveset with lack of emotion going into every move, he needs to grow as a character in the ring as well as out of it. I hold out hope, but as of now, his work is overrated and he is nowhere near main event ready even in terms of work as some might claim.

It is now 3 in the morning here so I will continue tomorrow with TNA's most overrated, but for now, a good night to everyone.

As much as I like Ted Dibiase, I'm definitely going with him here. Granted, I'm more of a Rhodes fan myself but I'm not going around saying things like he needs to win the Royal Rumble and main event Wrestlemania 26 and for some reason people insist on predicting this for Ted Dibiase. Why? What has this guy done that leads people to say things like this? Oh, but 'he has that look!' So what. I've yet to see anything from him that makes me say, 'that guy is future headliner material' (he could well be of course, I've just yet to see what the big deal is).

Don't get me wrong, I wish the best for him, I genuienly do and want him to succeed but allow him to grow first and spread his wings in WWE on his own before making these outlandish predictions. Putting all this pressure and expectation on Ted is actually a little unfair on him, I think.

There's no doubt that he has the potential to be big in the future but I'm waiting to see how he actually handles a singles program on his own before jumping on the bandwagon. I could possibly see a match with Orton at this year's Wrestlemania should Legacy disband and a run with Raw's mid card title, but that is as far as I would see him go in 2010. What I propose is let him go out on his own this year and gain singles experience and then predict big things for him in 2011, should he show signs of brighter things this year.

Legacy- People are making them out to be the future, to be the future you have to show it and not be lackeys to a main-eventer and do his bidding. You need to have your own matches on a consistent basis and show you have what it takes.

Drew McIntyre-Granted i've seen one match and aside from the stomps and holds the only move I saw was his finisher, which is ok but he needs to work on his ring work, his mic work while cool (mainly due to the accent) is average as well, this guy does not say future world champ, at the moment he says mid-carder

If you look hard enough, you'll find reasons to dislike any up and comer and declare them to be overrated, even if the reason only seems to make sense to yourself.

My first pick is going to have to be Hernandez in TNA. After the break up of LAX, there was some buzz going around TNA that Hernandez is someone that had big things ahead of him. Dixie Carter is a big fan of him. Giving him the catchy nickname of SuperMex did give him a little bit of flare. Hernandez wound up in one go nowhere and do nothing feud after another in 2009 for the most part. His brief little feud with World Elite only succeeded in making just about every member of World Elite look weak and Hernandez wasn't elevated in the least. The biggest point in Hernandez's career came when he cashed in the FOF Briefcase and joined the clusterfuck main event match at No Surrender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Hernandez was used as little more than a prop in that match as he was hardly even a factor in it due to interference from the WE. Basically, the biggest moment in Hernandez's singles career comes from a wasted FOF briefcase opportunity. Since then, he's really done nothing of consequence. He's back in the tag team scene and is teamed with Matt Morgan. Hernandez's only real success has been in the tag team ranks and that's probably his best shot. As a singles wrestler, he's 37 years old and hasn't accomplished squat. Hernandez is a big, strong guy but there's not really anything that makes him stand out as a character. Nothing about him pops. His matches are average at best and his promos are awful because he usually conducts half of them in Spanish. I don't think he's the diamond in the rough that some say he is.

Next up for me is Hernandez's current tag team partner, Matt Morgan. Morgan was someone that I myself was actually kind of excited about for a while. He has a great look about him and he's a very athletic 7 footer. However, Morgan is somebody that just ran out of steam and ran out of steam quickly. Morgan's wins over AJ Styles in the best of three series to secure his spot in the triple threat main event at Hard Justice has been the highlight of Matt Morgan's entire career. Morgan particpates in another TNA title match at No Surrender and does come up short. From then, his momentum just goes downhill quickly. The next month, Morgan goes up against Angle and loses and, after that, he's out of the main event situation in TNA altogether. He's not even close to it. With the exception of Styles and Angle, Morgan's matches have also been pretty average overall. He has given some pretty good promos but I don't think Morgan has what it takes to be a sustainable presence in the main event. Maybe TNA pushed him too soon. Either way, Morgan just has not lived up to the hype. He's another guy that's well into his 30s and hasn't accomplished squat in pro wrestling as a singles or tag team wrestler.

Drew Mcintrye - HHH and Shawn Michaels boy from what ive read online and i just dont see that much in him he seems try too hard on his promos but hes new and still needs to home his craft so ill let that slide but in ring i dont see anything hes just so generic and average and i see nothing special in him that makes him different from anyonesle.

Ted DiBiase is shit, boring, and completely overrated. Actually, he's not so much overrated as overestimated. It's January, and people are still seriously entertaining the possibility that he's going to headline WrestleMania 26. It just really, really isn't going to happen.

I have to go with the opening poster though. Matt Morgan is fucking attrocious. Slow, boring and completely devoid of any ability to work the mic, I actually cannot believe that anyone sees anything in him. People accuse others of lapping up what ever McMahon feeds them, but nobody gives the IWC more ********ing ammunition than TNA. They push someone as a future star, and no matter how shit they are, the IWC buys into it. There is absolutely nothing entertaining about Matt Morgan, yet people think he's good because TNA tell you. If you want to see someone good and young, turn your head about 5 degrees during a Morgan match, and you'll see Hernandez there, carrying him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back