Monster's Ball?

RavensEdge

Anti-Hero
I understand it's supposed to be Abyss' specialty match but there's no special stipulation that makes it any different than a typical hardcore match.

Back at the start of TNA, in case you didn't follow back then, for 24 hours before the Monster's Ball match all the participants were locked alone in a room in complete darkness. Obviously this was storyline but being locked away supposedly made the men crazier before they beat the living hell out of one another.

It never made a huge difference but without this slight difference it's just a no dq match.

So.... What is the point of Monster's Ball now?

The difference used to be that all contenders competing int he match were sequestered alone in a locked room without light, food or water for twenty-four hours before the match, but obviously, as this is overkill, it was forgotten about and eventually left off.

The match is little more than a street fight/hardcore match now, but it did have a specific stipulation at it's inception.

You touched on it and then the guy above me nailed it. It just seemed overkill. Now its nothing more than a regular no rules match with a special name. Its not totally uncommon. Like when they call a street fight, which in itself is just a hardcore match, something regional like a Brooklyn Brawl or a Memphis Street Fight

theres nothing really special about it its basically tna's name for a street fight now i think but i must say i do always enjoy monsters ball abyss is at his best in those and in this case he faces bully ray who should be at his best in a street fight hell even when abyss teamed with taylor wilde against raven and daffney in a monsters ball match it was insane! i do think they should bring back the whole "no light,no food and no water for 24 hours before the match" thing even if they never really did that btw....has anybody else noticed abyss has lost all but 1 monsters ball match? (i cant rember him winning any of them besides when he teamed up with taylor wilde)

It's just another name for a street fight. The name is just added because of its history, and the fact that the Monster's Ball name gives the match a little more importance. Ring of Honor does this stuff all the time by giving ordinary street fights or No DQ matches a special name, and it always gives the feud a little something extra. I think having the Monster's Ball name associated with the match gives the match more meaning than having just another street fight.

I asked someone at another forum what a Monsters Ball match was, and he said it was basically the same as a street fight/no NQ except it also included thumbtacks.

speaking of this Monsters Ball match. is that supposed to be Abyss's signature type match? maybe similar to coffin match with Undertaker.
the stipulation in this match is if Bully Ray wins, Abyss has to rejoin Immortal. but if Abyss wins, then what? I figured there would have been something happen if Abyss was to win, or maybe Abyss gets what he wants just in the type of match?

It is no longer a "Monster"'s ball; abyss is the only monster left. back then they had guys like raven, rhino, black reign, the masked guy that eric young was scared of, and of course, abyss' half brother. now its just 2-3 random guys thrown in a no holds barred match, once in a year. they do it more because its a tradition kinda ting, rather than because the monsters hate each other to the core, and are ready to tear off chunks from each other.
photo.php

For the most part, it's a Street Fight between two guys in a very intense grudge. For TNA, it's almost like WWE's Hell In A Cell matches circa 2003-2008. They were the biggest gimmick matches in the company but were mostly centric to Triple H and The Undertaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back