MMA News and Tidbits

I would love to see Mitrione get a bump up in competition but I can't complain to much about a fight with Morecraft. It should be an awesome little war. Both guys like to slug it out and Mitrione is one of the more entertaining guys in the Heavyweight division right now. I can honestly say that I am looking forward to this fight.

Third time's a charm?

So Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara is booked once again, this time for UFC 133.

I kinda had a feeling that this fight would go down, since it was booked twice before, but fell through, first because Sakara got pretty sick the night before their first booked fight, then the second fight was scrapped because of Rivera getting bumped up to fight Bisping. With both of them coming off losses in their last fights, it makes sense to book this fight again.

Should be an entertaining fight though, definitely see this as a stand up war, I'd be very surprised if either guy takes this to the ground, only way it goes there is by either one hitting the ground from being knocked out or down by the other.

A few more fights have been made,

Nate Marquardt vs. Anthony Johnson for UFC on Versus 4.

Looks like Marquardt is indeed dropping down to the Welterweight division. Probably his best interest if he wants to get a title shot in the UFC again. He just couldn't beat the top wrestlers of the Middleweight division. Losing to both Sonnen and Okami in title eliminator bouts. He's definitely getting a tough opponent in Rumble for his first Welterweight fight. If Rumble can stuff Nate's TD's then he can probably win this, if not Marquardt will most likely grind out the decision or sub him.

Andre Winner vs. Anthony Njokuani is set for UFC 132 in July.

This could be Winner's last fight in the UFC, losing 3 out 5 for under the UFC. Although, same could be said for Njokuani as he has also lost 3 out his last 5, only difference is that he has only fought under the UFC banner once, all the rest were under the WEC. Can't say I really care about the fight, as I never been a fan of Winner's, but Njokuani can put on some exciting fights, so hopefully he'll put on another to get Winner out of the UFC.

Also, Michael McDonald vs. Nick Pace at UFC 133.

McDonald exploded on the UFC scene back last month at UFN 24 in his UFC debut against Edwin Figueroa, well both fighters did, earning FOTN honors. I'm pumped as I'm sure everyone else is to see him fight again. The match up with Pace should be another good fight like his first one. McDonald probably has the edge in the stand up, whereas the ground game is probably even. Don't know if Pace has the sub defense like Figueroa has, as McDonald had some deep sub attempts set in. McDonald should win this fight.

Fresh off of destroying a consensus top 10 opponent in Tatsuya Kawajiri, Strikeforce Lightweight Champion, Gilbert Melendez began speaking out about the possibility of him fighting some of the UFC’s top lightweights.

He may now have an opponent, in the UFC’s Jim Miller.

According to @JonLutherMMA on Twitter, and re-Tweeted by Loretta Hunt, Zuffa is looking to setup what may be the first UFC vs. Strikeforce fight featuring two consensus top 10 lightweights in Gilbert Melendez and Jim Miller.

Melendez is ranked as high as the No. 2 lightweight in the world on some rankings and made it known that he would like to fight the winner of the upcoming UFC Lightweight Title rematch between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard. But with that fight still far off on the horizon and the usual layoff between UFC title fights, Melendez may need to find himself an opponent in the meantime.

An opponent like Jim Miller makes a lot of sense for Gilbert Melendez as he attempts to expose himself to large fan base in the UFC that may not be as familiar with his work.

Miller is an exceptionally talented veteran whose only two MMA losses have come at the hands of Maynard and Edgar. If it wasn’t for the upcoming bout between Clay Guida and Anthony Pettis, which is supposed to determine the next No. 1 contender for the UFC Lightweight title, he may very well be the next in line for a shot of his own.

Zuffa wins no matter who comes out on top in this contest, so it makes sense to put these two studs against one another while we wait to see what happens in the Edgar-Maynard and Pettis-Guida fights.

If this is a fight that is going to happen, I will mark out. Jim Miller is a very serious fighter and some would even have him in the top 5 Lightweights out now. He is on a roll and showed marked improvement in each fight. He can cause fighters to get frustrated because of his endless gas tank and tremendous effort in working his opponent.

Following two aborted starts, Stanislav Nedkov will once again attempt to make his Octagon debut on Aug. 27, when he meets fellow light heavyweight Luis Cane at UFC 134 “Rio.”

The UFC announced on its official website Sunday that Nedkov and Cane have “verbally agreed” to square off at the event, which takes place at the 18,000-seat HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. While not officially announced, a middleweight title clash between champion Anderson Silva and challenger Yushin Okami is expected to topline the promotion’s first Brazilian event since 1998.

Also confirmed by the promotion was a previously reported rematch between former 205-pound titleholders Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Forrest Griffin, as well as a lightweight tilt pitting Thiago Tavares against Spencer Fisher.

Nedkov, 29, boasts a perfect record of 11-0 and has seen the judges’ scorecards only twice in his five-year career. After racking up wins over veterans Kevin Randleman and Travis Wiuff under the Sengoku banner in 2009, the Bulgarian grappler was poised to transition to the UFC against Rodney Wallace in August 2010. However, an injury forced Nedkov to withdraw less than one month before the bout, and his debut was shifted to an October date with Steve Cantwell. This time, it was Cantwell who suffered an injury in training, leaving Nedkov without an opponent.

A seven-time Octagon veteran, Cane rebounded from the first back-to-back losses of his career with a first-round March stoppage of Eliot Marshall at UFC 128. Prior to that win, the 30-year-old Brazilian had been punched out by Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Cyrille Diabate consecutively, after which he departed his longtime camp of American Top Team and moved to Jupiter, Fla., gym The Armory. Of the 11 wins on the 11-3 record of “Banha,” nine have come by way of knockout.

Well this is an interesting fight. Luiz Cane is coming off a career saving win over Eliot Marshal so a win here is once again very important to the once considered future champion. I can't say I know a whole lot about Nedkov but I am looking at his record right now and this dude is a bulldozer. He is undefeated and has wins over Travis Wiuff and Kevin Randleman, very impressive for a guy who isn't even 30 yet, but I wouldn't call him a future champion or anything. This should be a nice and exciting fight. I really can't see it going to a decision. Someone is seriously getting knocked the fuck out or tapped.

Loving the Rio card more day, by day. There will be some fucking wars on that show, man. As for news, I heard that Royce Gracie is going to Canada to talk with Dana, and other higher ups in the company about competing at Rio. Rumor has it that Royce wants Hughes badly. I for one have no interest in seeing that fight as it will end up the same as last time. I want Royce on that card SO badly, but not against any current top tier fighter. Give him somebody from his day, and have him get a win. Having Royce on the Rio card is bigger than having GSP on a Canada card. The Gracie family is a household name over there, and it would be huge to have one of them on that card.

Loving the Rio card more day, by day. There will be some fucking wars on that show, man. As for news, I heard that Royce Gracie is going to Canada to talk with Dana, and other higher ups in the company about competing at Rio. Rumor has it that Royce wants Hughes badly. I for one have no interest in seeing that fight as it will end up the same as last time. I want Royce on that card SO badly, but not against any current top tier fighter. Give him somebody from his day, and have him get a win. Having Royce on the Rio card is bigger than having GSP on a Canada card. The Gracie family is a household name over there, and it would be huge to have one of them on that card.

You know, I to am not very interested in seeing Royce vs. Hughes II, however, I have heard a few rumblings that Dan Severn wants to fight Royce Gracie and even though there would be a huge weight difference I would love to see this fight go down. Both men are UFC originals and UFC Hall of Famers. It would be a great throwback to the old days, the wild days, of the UFC.

I heard that as well, but like you said the weight difference is very high. Pretty sure Severn is a HW, and Royce won't get higher than 190 pounds at the most. I'd love to see this fight, but I just do not see it happening.

A lightweight tilt between British slugger Ross Pearson and Brazilian muay Thai machine Edson Barboza is on tap for UFC 134 “Rio.”

Pearson’s hometown newspaper, The Sunderland Echo, quoted UFC President Dana White on Tuesday as stating that the bout has been verbally agreed upon.

“It’s a great match for me against a guy who’s got a great reputation,” Pearson told the paper. “Barboza likes to have a war and so do I. I think we can put on the fight of the night.”

UFC 134 takes place August 27 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro and is expected to be headlined by a middleweight championship bout between champion Anderson Silva and challenger Yushin Okami. Also announced for the event is a rematch of former light heavyweight champions Forrest Griffin and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

Pearson, 26, entered the UFC in June 2009, besting countryman Andre Winner to become the lightweight victor of “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9. The Team Rough House representative has compiled a 4-1 mark in the Octagon which includes wins over German standout Dennis Siver (in a “Fight of the Night” performance) and, most recently, veteran Spencer Fisher at February’s UFC 127.

Barboza will compete in his home country for the first time since his days on the Rio de Janeiro muay Thai circuit. The 25-year-old Armory product is unbeaten in his MMA campaign at 8-0, having topped Anthony Njokuani (unanimous decision at UFC 128) and Mike Lullo (leg-kick TKO at UFC 123) in his first two UFC outings.

Well this is a bit of a let down. Talk had been that Takanori Gomi would be facing Barboza at the Rio card but obviously that is not the case now. While Pearson/Barboza is by no means a bad fight, it isn't a bump up in competition for Edson either. Gomi would have been a great test for Edson to see if he was ready for the bigger name guys yet. Not to mention a Gomi/Barboza fight would have been an absolute war. Hopefully Gomi gets a fight before to long.

I'm pretty high on Barboza, and have been for quite some time. Pearson, I never really liked so I hope Barboza quickly KOs him and gets another fight as soon as possible. I'm not sure what Gomi has been up to besides BJJ, but a fight between him and Edson would have been awesome for this card. At least we should have a primarily striking fight so Edson can show off his Muay Thai again. The Rio card is really coming together very well and I cannot wait.

Alan Belcher was a middleweight on a roll in the UFC. He had won two straight fights -- beating Wilson Gouveia and former title contender Patrick Cote -- and four of his last five. The only defeat in that span was a controversial split decision loss to Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100.

All his momentum came to a screeching halt when Belcher suffered a detached retina while training in Brazil for a fight against the world-ranked Demian Maia that was slated to headline UFC Fight Night 22 in September. He underwent emergency surgery in August and has been on the long road back to the Octagon ever since.

“I only had two sparring sessions with heavy hitters [before the injury],” Belcher told Sherdog.com. “I started seeing things, but I didn’t know what to look for. I started noticing something was wrong, and it kind of happened over time. I flew back to the U.S. and had surgery. Then, I had to have surgery again a month later when the retina detached again.”

After undergoing two surgeries in as many months on his right eye, Belcher was forced to contemplate life without full eyesight, much less being able to compete again in the UFC again.

“[After the second surgery] is when it really hit home,” said Belcher, who earned two “Fight of the Night” and two “Submission of the Night” bonuses in his last four fights. “I wondered how I’d be able to see again. I just wanted to be able to see my child and live a normal life. I wasn’t thinking about fighting. People talked to me about fighting again, but it wasn’t in my mind at all. Once my eye finally healed, it was all downhill and so easy from there.”

A member of the Roufusport camp in Milwaukee and a native of Biloxi, Miss., Belcher was released to start sparring again in February. However, it will be several more months before UFC fans will see “The Talent” in action again. A UFC event in New Orleans, tentatively scheduled for Sept. 17, has become his target.

“Right now, I’m planning to come back in September,” said Belcher, who has 14 finishes among his 16 professional victories. “Everything is looking good so far, and I’m glad to be back in training. The time off was good for me. I got to see things from a different point of view. It made me realize just how lucky I was to be a fighter. It’s truly a gift that I’ve been given, but now I’m ready to be back as good or better than I’ve ever been.”

Belcher has had plenty of time to contemplate who he would like to face in his first fight back from injury, and one of the names at the top of the list belongs to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 3 winner Michael Bisping.

“Bisping is an a--hole who disrespects the sport and his opponent,” said Belcher. “A fight between me and Michael Bisping is something everybody wants except for Michael Bisping. It would be amazing to sign that fight and have him come to my backyard. He always gets to fight in Britain and other places, but it’d be good to see him come down to Louisiana. I’d love for that to be my comeback fight.”

Other names that Belcher tossed out included Maia, Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva.

“I want to fight the top three or four guys,” he said. “I want someone who will help keep my status high and help me move towards a title shot. I don’t want to have to prove myself again. [Belfort] is a legend and is still close to the top. I’m not sure beating [Silva] gets me closer to the title, but he’s a fighter I like. [Maia] and [Bisping] are other possibilities, too.”

Despite the fact that he has healed enough to be cleared by doctors, Belcher’s vision in his right eye remains blurry. However, he does not see it as a problem.

“My vision is still not perfect, but when both my eyes are open, I can see what I’m doing,” said Belcher, who owns other notable wins over Denis Kang, Ed Herman, Kalib Starnes and Jorge Santiago. “I’m nearsighted in my right eye, and if I close my left eye, things get blurry unless I’m really close to something. It’s getting better every day. I have my peripheral vision, and I can see well enough to spar. I’ll be able to see what people are doing.”

After suffering what might have been a career-ending and life-altering injury, most fighters might be hesitant to get back in the cage for fear of getting hurt again. That does not appear to be the case for Belcher.

“My doctor told me there’s no chance to detach the retina again now that it’s healed up,” said Belcher. “The only problem might come if I get poked in my left eye, leaving me with one blurry eye, but that’s a risk I’m willing to take.”

I'll preface this by saying that I am happy Belcher is healing and will be able to return to action, but I really don't give a damn who he fights. I am not a fan of Belcher, never have been and never will be. He strikes me as a pompous ass, so I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that one ass wants to fight another ass. Bisping vs. Belcher could be a very exciting fight, though I am not that interested in it. However, I would gladly watch these two jack wagons beat each other up. Decent fight but not one that overly intrigues me.

Recent title challenger Vitor Belfort and Japanese star Yoshihiro Akiyama are set to collide in a high-profile middleweight bout at UFC 133.

UFC President Dana White informed ESPN.co.uk on Thursday that Belfort and Akiyama have verbally agreed to square off on August 6 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

Belfort, who was knocked out by middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva in their Feb. 5 title fight, had been alternately rumored to face either Michael Bisping or Wanderlei Silva in his next outing, though neither bout materialized.

Prior to his defeat at the hands (and feet) of “The Spider,” the 34-year-old Brazilian had won five consecutive outings. Belfort began his third tour of Octagon duty in September 2009, when he notched a three-minute technical knockout of former UFC middleweight champ Rich Franklin at UFC 103. The “Phenom” holds a 19-9 career mark and has finished 13 opponents by way of knockout, including such MMA luminaries as Randy Couture and Wanderlei Silva.

Akiyama, 35, was forced to bow out of a March 19 engagement with Nate Marquardt due to that month’s Tohoku earthquake and tsunami in his home country. Since joining the UFC in July 2009, the decorated judo convert has gone 1-2, but has earned “Fight of the Night” honors in all three outings. After scoring a narrow split decision over Alan Belcher in his Octagon debut, Akiyama was submitted by Chris Leben and, most recently, decisioned by Michael Bisping in October.

Holy crap does this fight excite me. I am a big fan of both guys, so it has pained me to watch their recent loses and even though I don't want see either man lose this fight should be a lot of fun. Both guys love to strike so I expect a stand up classic. The only thing that worries me is the size difference between the two. Akiyama is a really small Middleweight, whereas Belfort has trouble making the cut. I don't think this will turn into a lay n' pray fight but if it did Belfort would have a big advantage. But, hopefully this fight happens because I think it'll be great.

I like the fight because it will be an awesome brawl. I believe Akiyama will be a heavy underdog, and I don't see him winning this fight. Belfort is by far the better striker. Akiyama's best chance to win is to use his judo and take Belfort down, but that is nearly out of the question as Belfort is a black belt in both Judo, and BJJ. Really tough fight for Akiyama, and hopefully it turns out to be a fucking war.

Yes! Great fucking fight. Akiyama is outmacthed in many aspects but he ALWAYS puts on a show, as does Vitor. If Akiyama loses, he shoudln't be cut. The guy gets FOTN every single time.

Sexyama FTW!!!

Seriously though, I'm a fan of Akiyama and I'm glad he goes out there to bang and be an exciting fighter, but I hope for the love of God he decides to use his judo and jiu-jitsu in this fight, rather than trying to strike with Belfort. Akiyama has very good striking, but Belfort will knock him the fuck out if Akiyama comes out there swinging for the fences looking for the knockout himself like he usually does.

If Akiyama can make this a fight that takes place in the clinch, then he should have no problem putting Belfort away or winning a decisive decision. However, if he decides to keep his distance with Belfort and strike with him, then there's just no way Akiyama wins this fight. He just doesn't have the one-punch knockout power or handspeed to compete with Belfort on the feet. Hopefully Akiyama is smart coming into this fight and gets his career back on the right track, after losing two fights he should have won.

I like the fight because it will be an awesome brawl. I believe Akiyama will be a heavy underdog, and I don't see him winning this fight. Belfort is by far the better striker. Akiyama's best chance to win is to use his judo and take Belfort down, but that is nearly out of the question as Belfort is a black belt in both Judo, and BJJ. Really tough fight for Akiyama, and hopefully it turns out to be a fucking war.

That's the biggest problem with him. He doesn't use his Judo in the UFC. If he would've used it in some of his fights, he could've faired much better. Although I do love the wars he has been in, so maybe he should just keep doing what he's doing.

Belfort's size difference is definitely gonna help him win this fight. I'm not ruling Sexyama completely out, because Belfort sometimes doesn't do the smartest things while fighting, like the last fight when he had Silva down, and let him get back up.

Busy couple days in fight announcements, another one to add,

Rich Franklin will fight Lil Nog at UFC 133 in August.

This fight kinda excites me. Should make for a stand up war. Now that Lil Nog has some TDD, as shown in the Phil Davis fight, Franklin will have a tough time taking him down, so he will be forced to slug it out with him for the 3 rounds.

Well, Mayhem is fighting Aaron Simpson at UFC 132. I guess this is a good warm-up fight for Mayhem given that he has been out of action for some time. I would much rather see him vs Bisping, or somebody a little higher up on the ladder than Simpson. It will be a good way to really gauge Mayhem's BJJ though, and how he will fare against wrestlers seeing as Simpson was a D-1 wrestler. Great to see the UFC giving Mayhem a fight so quickly.

A light heavyweight attraction between Rich Franklin and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira is being targeted for UFC 133.

The promotion announced that the fighters have verbally agreed to the bout, which will go down Aug. 6 from the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. Though not officially announced by the promotion, UFC 133 is also expected to feature a pair of intriguing middleweight tilts, as former light heavyweight king Vitor Belfort squares of with judoka Yoshihiro Akiyama and Jorge Rivera meets Alessio Sakara.

Once the UFC’s top middleweight, Franklin (Pictured; file photo) has competed at fluctuating weights since his second loss to Anderson Silva in 2007. Since that time, “Ace” has found mixed results at light heavyweight, knocking out Matt Hamill and Chuck Liddell, while dropping decisions to Dan Henderson and most recently Forrest Griffin at UFC 126 in February. Franklin has gone 2-3 in his last five Octagon appearances, which included two 195-pound catchweight bouts.

Once a star for Japan’s Pride Fighting Championships, Nogueira had a seven-fight winning streak snapped last year with back-to-back defeats inside the Octagon. After making an impressive UFC debut against Luiz Cane in 2009, Nogueira eked out a split decision over Jason Brilz the following year before dropping a unanimous nod to Ryan Bader at UFC 119 in September. Nogueira most recently competed at UFC Fight Night 24 last month, dropping another unanimous decision to a decorated wrestler in Phil Davis.

Another good match up by the UFC. This actually a bit of a dream fight. It should be awesome watching a UFC legend and PRIDE legend go at it. It'll also be sad to see either guy lose. I actually like both guys quiet a bit and enjoy watching them fight. Both like to throw bombs so I expect some fireworks. I could actually see this fight being similar to Lil' Nog vs. Rua which would be awesome to watch. Just another fight to add to the list of fights I can't wait to see go down.

Great fight. I was never a big fan of Franklin, but I really respect him as a person and as a fighter. As for Lil Nog, I had very high hopes for him when he came to the UFC. After he destroyed Cane I really though he would be champion. Unfortunately, his weakness was exploited and he has been somewhat lackluster since then. Luckily they are giving him a guy that will stand with him which should prove to be a fantastic war. I see Lil Nog getting the KO here, but it can go either way.

I like the Franklin vs Lil' Nog fight although I think Franklins gonna knock him out, haven't been impressed with Antonio as of late, although he did fight two wrestling based fighters, and even the Brilz decision was ehh. But like Frizzy said, gonna be a solid stand up war, if I'm Franklin I might go for a few take downs in the late 2nd or 3rd round but stand up for the majority.

Both fighters need a win pretty badly to keep within the top of the line in that division. I would have thought that they would move it back to UFC:134(in Rio), due to the fact that Lil Nog is from Brazil, but anyways great match props to Joe Silva, the best booker in any buissness.

Very excited for the Lil' Nog/Rich Franklin fight.

The UFC has been sticking Lil' Nog with nothing but wrestlers in his last few fights, so I'm sure it's refreshing for him to get an opponent like Rich Franklin, who loves to bang and put on a show for the fans. I'm sure Lil' Nog is as confident as can be, too, since his teammate Anderson Silva has dominated Rich Franklin twice before.

That said, while I like Lil' Nog, I'm heavily rooting for Rich Franklin here. Rich has been one of my favorite fighters ever since I became a fan of the sport, and I would love to see him get another run in him. I'm sort of disappointed he's staying at Light Heavyweight, but Lil' Nog isn't a big Light Heavyweight so size at least shouldn't be a big factor in this fight.

This should be a fight Franklin can take. While technically Lil' Nog is the better striker, he lacks knockout power and Franklin hands are extremely heavily in power, so all it will take is one shot from Franklin for him to put this away. Moreover, if Rich does get in trouble, I'm sure he could easily take Lil' Nog down and work him from there, especially since in his last few fights Nog has done absolutely nothing off his back, even though the majority of each fight took place with him on the bottom.

Anyways, very much looking forward to this, and here's hoping for the best for Ace.

Wow, interesting. Can't say i'm upset for Rashad as I really dislike him. It really has to suck to be him right now. He cannot catch a break. This is a HUGE opportunity for Davis here to prove he is ready for the main event. He had a lackluster fight against Lil Nog, so he has tons to prove here. While I am a huge fan of Davis, and the exact opposite for Rashad, I see Rashad taking this. Davis did not look great in his last fight and Rashad will have the edge on the feet. That said, if Davis can pull this out than I will be extremely happy.

Lol... wow.

First thing first, this situation just goes to show how weak the Light Heavyweight Division is in MMA at the moment. Phil Davis is the best replacement they could get, seriously? Don't get me wrong, the dude has a ton of potential, but he's still in the potential stage at this point. He's only had 3 fights in the UFC, and none of those were against a top 10 fighter. What an opportunity for this dude.

Personally though, I don't think Davis has a shot. He's just too inexperienced and not ready for someone with the wrestling degree of Rashad Evans. In fact, I'd say this is the best thing that could have happened to Splenda. Rashad is coming off a year and a half long lay-off and there was just no way he would have been able to stand a chance against Jon Jones having that much cage rust. However, now that he has a winnable fight against Davis, Evans gets the rust off, while it's Jones sitting on the sideline for who knows how long. This definitely makes the Jones/Evans fight more interesting, if Evans beats Phil Davis like he should.

All that said, man... what a boring piece of shit this will be, huh? The UFC 133 card really took a blow with this one. No doubt this show will end up having some of the lowest pay-per-view buys this year for the company now. Mark my words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back